Bambi Population Control

Yesterday I played the Mod after 200 hours of Standalone.

people were suprisingly more friendly and cooperative than in the Standalone.

The reason for that is the majority of SA players are new to the game. In my experience 7-8 out of 10 never played the mod.

Those that played the mod, like myself, know there is a serious hero community there…almost 50%. Last I checked, the bandits out-numbered the heroes but not by much.

Once SA is closer to completion, things will go back to normal. Glad you got to experience it.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Yep. Pretty much it. This game was never supposed to be easy, you can even go back and read some prior statements by rocket. This game is supposed to be like the "Road" and many other post apocalyptic style adventures. Playstyle has NOTHING TO DO WITH DIFFICULTY. What do you not get about that? If anything difficulty forces you to make decisions you may not want to make but have to so you can live. You want to be a fucking hero? Be a hero, but the game itself is going to be difficult. Playstyles don't effect the difficulty, difficulty effects playstyles, in a good way. Forces decisions you'll have to make.

I hate arguing with rocks.

Okay, play a ridiculously easy game. Say, L4D2 on its easiest difficulty. You won't be trying too hard, will you?

Then, play L4D2 on Expert mode with Realism Versus in place. You'll play much differently. And that is my point.

Where is the block button? I could use it.

I hate arguing with rocks.

Okay, play a ridiculously easy game. Say, L4D2 on its easiest difficulty. You won't be trying too hard, will you?

Then, play L4D2 on Expert mode with Realism Versus in place. You'll play much differently. And that is my point.

Where is the block button? I could use it.

Go click your player profile, manage ignore prefs.

"Okay, play a ridiculously easy game. Say, L4D2 on its easiest difficulty. You won't be trying too hard, will you?

Then, play L4D2 on Expert mode with Realism Versus in place. You'll play much differently. And that is my point."

And my point is any different? Gameis supposed to be hard. That's the default setting. Due to the challenge, players will need to adapt to each situation and therefore there is no such thing as playstyle. because each encounter, each event requires you to think about the consequences of your actions. 

What part of thatdo you not get?

Too much hackers on Standalone so I switch to the mod and what do you know? MORE HACKERS.

This thread is just ...

oh, I dont even care. Carry on.

:facepalm:

Go click your player profile, manage ignore prefs.

"Okay, play a ridiculously easy game. Say, L4D2 on its easiest difficulty. You won't be trying too hard, will you?

Then, play L4D2 on Expert mode with Realism Versus in place. You'll play much differently. And that is my point."

And my point is any different? Gameis supposed to be hard. That's the default setting. Due to the challenge, players will need to adapt to each situation and therefore there is no such thing as playstyle. because each encounter, each event requires you to think about the consequences of your actions. 

What part of thatdo you not get?

Go ahead and say that "it's meant to be hard". You've missed the point. It shouldn't be restricted to a single difficulty. Even if it makes the rock army happy. It just annoys others who enjoy VARIETY.

Go ahead and say that "it's meant to be hard". You've missed the point. It shouldn't be restricted to a single difficulty. Even if it makes the rock army happy. It just annoys others who enjoy VARIETY.

Oh my, and you're the one calling me a rock. 

A harder difficulty doesn't reduce variety, it creates it because you need to make a concious decision about your ever action because if you fuck up, you die.

A harder difficulty doesn't reduce variety, it creates it because you need to make a concious decision about your ever action because if you fuck up, you die.

Conscious decisions?

If you see zombie: Run around it and melee until it dies.

If you see player: Shoot and kill, if unarmed  either run to melee or hide

If you see neither: Hold down w key to your destination

Dayz is the last game that has conscious decisions as of right now, maybe it will change. 

Conscious decisions?

Dayz is the last game that has conscious decisions as of right now, maybe it will change. 

That's why I want the game to be harder..

Conscious decisions?

Aren't there games out there where you walk forward down a specific path you can't change and only one way to travel and all it is is "Shoot and kill" whatever moves? That is a few steps less.

I played the mod a long time ago but got bored of it fast. If you wanted blood/saline you had to go to a few of the specific spots on the map that ended up camped by players with sniper rifles and assault rifles. Never saw any functioning vehicles and zombies were easy to get away from, hell you even started with a gun and ammo. Many times you'd spawn and another player would be spawning nearby at the same time and you'd just open fire on each other with the pistols, it was stupid.

I've seen plenty of vids of the other mods of the mod which seem like they have half arsed versions of what DayZ SA will implement. DayZ SA is alpha, not even beta, so not sure why it gets compared so much. Once they've put vehicles in, hunting for food, respawn systems for zombies/gear, it'll be much better then any of the mods.

Saw alpha footage of H1Z1 and let me say, it was impressive. There is wildlife, hunting, zombie hordes, and yes, you can torch those fuckers! The buildings have the apocolyptic, dilapidated look Dayz is lacking. And night time looks eerie and unforgiving. Just about everything everyone wants in Dayz is already in that games alpha.

If you're actually impressed by that, we've managed to pinpoint how and who SOE actually manages to sell their POS games to.  Oh man, they added and/or reused some particle effects and threw up some really poorly done jeep models.  Wooooooohoooo!

Just about everything everyone wants in Dayz is already in that games alpha.

Could people stop saying things like this, and change "everyone" to "I," please?  I've seen it multiple times now.

You do not know what I or everyone else wants, you know what you want.  Speak for yourself.

• Like 1

Why do I bother? You're obviously intent on ignoring everyone who disagrees with you.

/sigh

Go play H1Z1 or something.

PEOPLE WHO DELIBERATELY USE BLACK BACK DROP FOR THEIR FONT COLOUR PLEASE STOP. YOU CAN'T READ THAT SHIT ON MOBILE.

What if, not everyone want a game harder than 4 Dark Souls taped together?

I'm not one for the ballbusting difficulty you seem to want out of DayZ. Personally, I like it as it is. I wish people wouldn't assume everyone wants something that is annoyingly difficult. It's idiotic, and narrow-minded.

We want that because the game diminishes quickly into PVP deathmatch when the challenge is too low . Its supposed to be a zombie survival game not a walk in the park.

• Like 1

My experience with the mod after fucking around for ages trying to get it working is "You were kicked due to high ping". Guess i was a little late and all the local servers closed down.

The Admin for each mod server can set the max ping he wants on the server. You can play the mod with no problems with a ping of 200, easily. But a lot of admins were tired of strangers turning up just to maphack and wreck stuff and then go off to another server, so they set the max ping quite low to limit players to "regional" people.

It's true - in the mod there were no ping problems as such. Ive always played very correctly with a ping around 180-200 on one of my fave vanilla servers. No rubberbanding no invisible players.. if the other guy has a ping of 60 it means you STILL have only a difference of 150 milliseconds between you..you SEE the dude all the time, and thats short enough to still have fair fights, no problem. With a high ping you might have login problems, but once you were in, you were OK, so long as you were inside the ping limit set by the admin.

One day the Admin on my usual server, where I had friends from 2 years, set the ping down to 200 to discourage the wandering script kids, and so from time to time I got kicked, in the evenings my ping went from 170 to 210 sometimes. So at last I quit playing there.

If you can find a vanilla mod server, it is WORTH playing, even if there is no one else around. Find yourself a machete and use STEALTH to get started. If you feel brave go up to NWAF and try and stealth your way in, or have a BIG fight with a lot of zombies that actually come running in through the DOORS and climb the STAIRS ... hahahaha GOOD stuff. Taking on NWAF alone is definitely not for beginners.

I understand why the VARIOUS ping problems appeared in SA by moving important stuff to the server side, to defeat the scripters - (and in the mod you'll maybe still find some old sad scripters wandering around regretting all the fun they USED to have) - but in the mod, ping was really not a problem in gameplay.

OK so that's why each admin set his own ping limit, but its not defined the same for all servers (default was 200, open to be changed), so look around and you might be lucky. It's a FUN game and you also understand Standalone better when you see where its coming from, and what BI might want to do with it.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

When I think of Standalone, I think of "Call Of Duty: I'm Hungry Edition".

Clarify this, because you kiddies surely know that COD wasn't the first game in the universe, correct? There were plenty of shooters that defined the FPS genre well before Modern Warfare was popular in 2006/2007.

Also, the gun play and tactics used in both Standalone and the mod are so far from that series that I never understood why people made that comparison other than trying to insult the game itself.

Edited by incinerate

It would be okay if they werent intent on witteling down and taking away from the mod. every gun, every car, ever bit of functionality and option avilable in the mod should be in the SA. (DMR, NVGs, MK38 MOD-0, M249SAW) ALL in the MOD. and the work. HELIS in the MOD and they work. WITH GUNS, and thst fine. i shot down 2 in a VANILLA server TONIGHT. with the LMG looted from NWAF.

The mod seems to embrace the idea that it took place in a formerly war-torn country where weapons are everywhere. SA seems to want us to think they all evaporated and go full on bare bones forest survival bear grylls edition. i can appreciate that perhaps some people like that, but i think the mod has more flavor as a result of it all being there bot no one aspect is pushed harder then the others down your throat.

I dont agree. In the mod you have TONS of weapons laying around, it takes 2 minutes after spawn to have a firearm of some sort.. it is stupid and ridiculous. In DayZ it is more unforgiving when you die because it is harder to get your equipment - better DayZ experience, less CoD/BF

I dont agree. In the mod you have TONS of weapons laying around, it takes 2 minutes after spawn to have a firearm of some sort.. it is stupid and ridiculous. In DayZ it is more unforgiving when you die because it is harder to get your equipment - better DayZ experience, less CoD/BF

Just lower the spawn rates, don't take out the weapons completly.

The tiny chance that maybe that amazing gun will spawn this time for me is what makes people get back to those military spawns even though they get all the gear they need. 

tbh the only advantage that the mod (breaking point) has over DayZ SA is smaller map and higher probability of encountering players outside of hotspots. That is something I really appreciate as I was forced to quit DayZ SA because it felt very empty and I dont enjoy electro madness as much..

Aren't there games out there where you walk forward down a specific path you can't change and only one way to travel and all it is is "Shoot and kill" whatever moves? That is a few steps less.

I played the mod a long time ago but got bored of it fast. If you wanted blood/saline you had to go to a few of the specific spots on the map that ended up camped by players with sniper rifles and assault rifles. Never saw any functioning vehicles and zombies were easy to get away from, hell you even started with a gun and ammo. Many times you'd spawn and another player would be spawning nearby at the same time and you'd just open fire on each other with the pistols, it was stupid.

I've seen plenty of vids of the other mods of the mod which seem like they have half arsed versions of what DayZ SA will implement. DayZ SA is alpha, not even beta, so not sure why it gets compared so much. Once they've put vehicles in, hunting for food, respawn systems for zombies/gear, it'll be much better then any of the mods.

1) No, some not all. A good mod server with no spawn weapons was amazing.

2) Half-assed? really? Namalsk, Origins hell even epoch gave you more things to do.

3) It's a shame I won't live till 130 to see it. 

Zombies are way more difficult in the standalone and being tactical still has it's uses, oh and one more thing

"ALPHER"

/facepalm

meanwhile in breaking point ..... :)

This, so much this. BP mod is what SA wants to be when it grows up. Its still clunky in spots, and definitely has its share of bugs too, but man...

I would love to donate my ARMA3 server for use as a BP server.

For me, the standalone has failed to recapture that feel of the original mod. As cool as the new stuff is, the game doesn't feel "right". It simply doesn't improve in the areas that made DayZ, DayZ. In fact, I would say it's considerably far behind.

• Like 1