Sign in to follow this  
PineappleWolf

Please, say NO to boats.

The vast majority of us have played the mod and know the joys and pains of having boats - broken windows causing fuel to leak, propeller parts being nowhere in sight when you needed them, the joy of fixing your first boat... Then taking to the seas to find every possible clan island/base on the seas...

Good times!

However, thanks to the mod I have experienced the potential benefits and downsides of having boats and came to the conclusion that they should NOT be included in the stand alone.

My main gripe with boats is simple - whoever has one, controls the sea/coasts.

Boats not only nullify distance, but also the threat of other players. When you're moving fast along the seas, way off coast, you're not in any danger at all. Small arms fire barely tickles you, if it even reaches you far off in the waves.

This is a huge problem in my opinion, as it allows on group of players to have an immense advantage over everyone else. Players who can die can instantly be picked up at the shore and dropped off at an island or a coastal base to regear in no time. At least when you're taking a car down the shore, you're risking not only the vehicle but also your gear - is it really worth it risking your car just to pick someone else up?

Groups who control boats have supreme reign over the server's coastal areas and quite frankly destroy the server - trust me, finding islands, coastal bases, among other things, in a boat is very easy, these are the only things holding groups to a server, so when they're gone, so are they.

Boats are basically too good. You can make them only have space for 2 players, and my opinionwould remain the same. All the other vehicles have serious disadvantages. 

In my opinion the period of time when boats were disabled, but cars were about was some of the most fun I've had on DayZ. Searching for players and camps on foot with my squad, yes please!

Paddle boats IMO could work, since they require a good bit of hard work and tire your character out, not to mention don't have the raw speed advantage when it comes to raiding the coast. If 3rd person is disabled, it's very hard to see anything around you, or behind you, as easily.

Thoughts, opinions?

(Parody of: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/195288-please-say-no-to-helicopters/)

Edited by PineappleWolf
  • Like 6

Pretty epic use of ctrl c-ctrl v.  B)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

I actually typed it out again, copy pasting on these forums gives you that weird black background effect that inverts your text to have a white background, at least chrome does it. 

• Like 1

I actually typed it out again, copy pasting on these forums gives you that weird black background effect that inverts your text to have a white background, at least chrome does it. 

It can be fixed easily in most cases by highlighting and selecting default color text. Not every type is fixed this way though and some require more effort. fyi..

I'm lazy (says the guy who retyped a post).

Edited by PineappleWolf
  • Like 1

But without the superior firepower of rocket ships how will we ever get to Mars in order to fight the fierce zombie cows that plague it vast landscape?

Like seriously my thread got drailed by fucking helicopters its only fair.

"My main gripe with boats is simple - whoever has one, controls the sea/coasts.!  When you're moving fast along the seas, way off coast, you're not in any danger at all." - epic!!!

Going 19 kmph with fishing boat realy braks the sound barier. I would like boats, maybe they cam make ship size of Riffy and make it floating base!

• Like 1

"My main gripe with boats is simple - whoever has one, controls the sea/coasts.!  When you're moving fast along the seas, way off coast, you're not in any danger at all." - epic!!!

Going 19 kmph with fishing boat realy braks the sound barier. I would like boats, maybe they cam make ship size of Riffy and make it floating base!

But think of how amazing those boats will be with there vast superior rail laser sniper rifles?! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

So no boats = no island access. Booo.

• Like 1

So no boats = no island access. Booo.

Realistically speaking you could fly a plane or a helicopter there as opposed to boats.

But this is a joke thread to counter the Heli nay-sayers, so yeah. 

On that note, did we ever had islands, I mean islands far off into the sea, not those few along the east coast that you could swim/walk to? Would be a great idea to expand the map in new locations, and make boats actually usable/worth something.

Especially for sea faring clans such as Beck's Privateers.

Edited by PineappleWolf

THE DAYS OF THE GREAT HOTDOG COASTAL CAMPAIGNS ARE NIGH!!

904739442_KmUcw-M.jpg

• Like 2

Make that into a mod. 

The sea wieners shall be the most fierce and "penetrating" as well as the tastiest vessels in all the high seas. Even the Russian navy will cower in fear at the sight of there greatness!

waterworkd1.gif?w=1000

WaterworldZ

i cant even look at this without laughing so hard I start to cry.. why is it so gdamn funny? 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 3

Should prob mount 360 rotatable MGs on them too, to help balance them. 

Who needs that when you have hot dog flame throwers?

hotdog_web.gif

Hotdog boats with attachable hotdog flame thowers, to keep all your weenies and beans roasted during those cold, wet, potentially viking like, raiding parties. 

snip

WaterworldZ

i cant even look at this without laughing so hard I start to cry.. why is it so gdamn funny? 

Probably because in the gif the guy is like "SO F*CKING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW.... O hai der!"

We really don't need another one of those threads. Please do not make pointless topics.

• Like 1