mithrawndo

Why do some players do everything possible to avoid interaction?

I agree with your post but at the moment gear is the only real "score", at least to me. But often I'm the cat that curiosity killed. Curiosity being a player that shot me while looking through buildings for that one extra little item that could be cool or useful. Eventually I'll learn I guess. I was hoping the kids got bored and moved on to Titanfall or something and I could search around with less fear. But being knocked unconscious like 5 times in a row before finally getting axed showed me the error of my thinking haha

If you check back, we emptied his gear after he had left the server. The hostile acts we committed were:

1) Surrounding him (debatable, but for the sake of argument accepted)

2) Making demands of him

3) Shooting him

4) Handcuffing him

As for what I expected? Rational thinking, a desire to engage in multiplayer and/or a survival instinct. The victim here showed none of these, hence my attempts at further understanding his actions.

Well, In real life he probably would have said at least something, but this is DayZ.

What happened is you trapped, threaten, shot and handcuffed him for absolutely no apparent reason. This talks fort itself, I wouldn't expect anything reasonable from you.

Kind of a mad man like situation. What would you have done?

The whole situation was unpredictable for him from the start.

He probably just knew he didn't do anything to you.

The only ones who could have solved the situation peacefully were you. You controlled the situation. You almost killed your victim. He couldn't have really done anything. Maybe he did exactly right. Now you wonder.

Edited by Ken Bean

You did explain to him how to talk? Or even type if the case may be? You never know, he could have been new to the game, ran south along the coast and eventually made it to Balota without ever seeing another player.

Also could have been anxiety, I mean I have social anxiety and one of my first 5 or so players I met when starting the game was a hero asking me if I needed anything. I was on the coast, I had nothing to lose, he displayed no aggression, and... I logged out because I was having a panic attack over the pressure to talk to him. Ironically I like DayZ for the social aspect, so if anyone asks me to surrender and I really am at a disadvantage I will surrender, and see what they have to say... most of the time its an immediate bullet to the head, and the other times they open with insults: " Hey bitch, stop right there" ( I play as the black female) So in those cases I just run away or fight back if I can.

I have talked to people, but usually its friends who I met outside the game first( forums, or work) and other times its in situations where I'm in the middle of helping someone, I need help, or I have the upper hand. My first significant interaction with someone was a girl that was really afraid I was a hostile when I was bleeding and attempting to help a guy that broke his legs. I killed the zombies chasing her, asked her to bandage me, and then told her what I was doing before we parted ways.

More recently there was the "story time" here where I ran away from a guy shooting, holed up in a two story building, shot at him as he came up, and then listened to him joke around and try to creep me out. I threw some morphine down to him and let him know it was there. I was more afraid of running and getting killed and he seemed kind of cool so I talked to him... I guess what I'm saying is that if you aren't in a compromised position.... like in the middle of an airfield as you were, maybe just let them have a few minutes to think it over as you talk to them.

Maybe. I don't really know what and why he did sth. But one thing in DayZ is clear: You put your weapon away, get shot. You put your weapon not away, get shot. Well in question, better dying with a weapon in hand.

These situations are basically unpredictable. It even starts by holding someone up. For that, you have not been entitled to.

You probably think you just can do it, because you have a weapon. Right of the stronger or whatever.

In my opinion most actions in the ghame are not based on comprehensibility. They also lack any real purpose.

Edited by Ken Bean

The only ones who could have solved the situation peacefully were you. You controlled the situation. You almost killed your victim. He couldn't have really done anything. Maybe he did exactly right. Now you wonder.

Not really. We did solve the situation with no deaths. He logged off whilst unconscious (confirmed by checking his pulse - when a player logs off their name is replaced with "unknown entity") despite having bandaged him and offering him salvation. As for unpredictability? At no point in the encounter did we do anything other than what we said we were going to do.

When he logged on to a new server he would have had no gear and very little blood, but he was alive. It didn't need to be that way.

Phoenix777 - thank you for your post, It's the most enlightening addition to this thread since page 1!

Not really. We did solve the situation with no deaths.

Yeah, I absolutely believe this. I just think you decide so and sometimes so.

The whole situation was just forced by you.

Then, maybe you decide to let people life. Fine. Where the heck someone else should know what your mind is being in? Mindreading? Just believing anything you say?

But this is academic.

Maybe he just went into kitchen, took a coffe while you were persuading him, came back, maybe got a shock because of that crazy voice over his headphones and shot down his PC?

;D

Nah, really, I don't know. One guess would be he thought that if an operation like this begins with hostilety, it probabyl doesn't end any good, only gets worse.

Edited by Ken Bean

I never cooperate with other players that try to scare me into submission. The moment someone tells me they have me surrounded they've made an enemy. I'm always friendly and if someone tries to use intimidation to control me I always try to fight. Something in me tells me its just right.

• Like 3

I never cooperate with other players that try to scare me into submission. The moment someone tells me they have me surrounded they've made an enemy. I'm always friendly and if someone tries to use intimidation to control me I always try to fight. Something in me tells me its just right.

This, all the way this.

"Why did you do that?" I pleaded, "I told you we had you surrounded. Now you're bleeding like a stuck pig and half of your gear will be trashed. Was it worth it?"

Silence was the only response.

I have to say I can understand that he didn't answer.

I mean, this is just a game and we play it for fun, right?

Sometimes things may twitch the mood a bit too much.

One main difference between real life and games is that the latter is played voluntary and can be quit every time without having real disadvantages to fear.

Maybe he chose to quit because the fun was over? This is completely legit, under every circumstances.

Edited by Ken Bean

I've heard two analogies for this game that fitted: Firstly that DayZ is like fishing: You sit* around with your friends, chatting away doing nothing particularly interesting. Suddenly there's some excitement (got a bite!), but before you know it it's all over.

Secondly that it's a "Trust Engine". With this one in mind...

Then, maybe you decide to let people life. Fine. Where the heck someone else should know what your mind is being in? Mindreading? Just believing anything you say?

In a nutshell? Yes. The logic that because I am hostile I must be untrustworthy is flawed. It's a logical fallacy, specifically the false cause fallacy.

I respect your viewpoint, but arguably this makes you, not your captor, the hostile party.

Discuss :)

* You don't actually sit, but the analogy stands besides this!

Edit: Forgot to add my footnote

Edited by Mithrawndo

In a nutshell? Yes. The logic that because I am hostile I must be untrustworthy is flawed. It's a logical fallacy, specifically the false cause fallacy.

Open hostilely is one very good reason not to trust someone.

At least open hostilely without any real cause is very serious in this regards.

Trust is nothing you get donated. One can have a sub, but this immediately is gone as one opens a hostilely.

Trust also is a feeling and therefore it gives a sh*t on logic.

Edited by Ken Bean

Open hostilely is one very good reason not to trust someone.

At least open hostilely without any real cause is very serious in this regards.

Trust is nothing you get donated. One can have a sub, but this immediately is gone as one opens a hostilely.

Trust also is a feeling and therefore it gives a sh*t on logic.

I finally understand: Despite having sufficient time to ruminate, rather than applying their intellect to the situation the individual in the original post instead relied on instinct and feeling.

Thank you!

Not really. We did solve the situation with no deaths. He logged off whilst unconscious (confirmed by checking his pulse - when a player logs off their name is replaced with "unknown entity") despite having bandaged him and offering him salvation. As for unpredictability? At no point in the encounter did we do anything other than what we said we were going to do.

When he logged on to a new server he would have had no gear and very little blood, but he was alive. It didn't need to be that way.

Phoenix777 - thank you for your post, It's the most enlightening addition to this thread since page 1!

But, uhh you die if you logout while unconscious or handcuffed. He was both of those, so yeah....he's dead.

As for how to get people to cooperate, I imagine giving up a little power might help as does the approach. Like instead of:

"We have you surrounded, drop your gun!"

Try:

" Hey man don't get all jumpy, go ahead, take some cover and hear me out..."

From there you tell them that you have some guys with you and that for everyone's safety you want him to keep his gun on his back, and that you won't hurt him as long as he doesn't do anything weird.

Now if he's still not saying anything or he's walking around trying

To find your guys then you might have a problem. At this point you have to decide if its worth trying to be civil with this guy (ie: are you safe from outside threats like his friends or random people coming along, are you busy trying to get somewhere, are you in a social mood, are you willing to risk losing your gear for this interaction.)

Lets just assume you are willing to give this guy a chance still. You could name off your friends with you and if you feel it's safe even have them pipe in with a " hey" or something. This 1: let's them know you're serious about him being surrounded, and 2: shows trust by revealing names, and possibly locations..

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is just let them know that you don't care if they have no mic, don't feel comfortable talking, or if they're a kid, woman, or foreign.

It doesn't seem like a really great idea to demand an interaction from someone whom you are threatening. I don't see why would anyone have a reason to submit to a bandit in game only to be toyed with, humiliated and most likely killed anyway, is this a some kind of masochism some find enjoyable?

One thing I think people could do, provided the person has a mic is get one person to go in with their gun away as a sign of good faith.

Then the person can take them hostage and know you're not going to shoot or else their friend is dead, then have a talk.

When I get a mic and am in this situation that's what I'm going to demand, or I don't come out.

I may or may not try to kill everyone there though, depending on how many there are and how they react to my demands, if they comply I may join then even though I'm a lone wolf.

It doesn't seem like a really great idea to demand an interaction from someone whom you are threatening. I don't see why would anyone have a reason to submit to a bandit in game only to be toyed with, humiliated and most likely killed anyway, is this a some kind of masochism some find enjoyable?

It goes both ways imo.  Yeah, you're just as likely to get robbed/tortured/whatever but you can either choose to see where it goes, which has the possible outcome of being something interesting rather than just another shoot out yet again, or you can go that route.  You can say to yourself, well it's not like I really care about my loot and the likelihood of surviving this encounter is slim, so I may as well see if this becomes interesting/fun or you can choose to do your best in the hopes of coming out on top.  There's no wrong option here, it's just up to you.

I don't humiliate or torture the people I hold up.  I take what I need from them and let them go, even offering help some times.  So the choice is up to the person, they can fight back (perfectly fine with me, I love shooting people too) or they can play along and go on with their dayz life.  Usually people end up asking me that very question, "what's in it for me?" and my response is "well you're surrounded so it's your choice."  They might kill one of us, but they're going to die too.

I find it more satisfying personally to have these interactions than just shoot people, but they take more effort on everyone's part.  My group also KOSes and it really just depends on the mood and the circumstance, but if you're in that position to have a more meaningful encounter than just shooting each other I find it's rarely not worthwhile to at least see where it can go.

One thing I think people could do, provided the person has a mic is get one person to go in with their gun away as a sign of good faith.

Then the person can take them hostage and know you're not going to shoot or else their friend is dead, then have a talk.

When I get a mic and am in this situation that's what I'm going to demand, or I don't come out.

I may or may not try to kill everyone there though, depending on how many there are and how they react to my demands, if they comply I may join then even though I'm a lone wolf.

I've done this myself, I've offered to put away my gun and go into a building etc.  I've had a guy refuse and tell me they'd rather I stay outside.  I ultimately just gave up on that guy.

I find it a good show of faith to keep your gun lowered as well.  I think it's reasonable to have at least one person constantly having their gun on a guy though, but if you're the one communicating with the guy and you finally get him out, just lower your own weapon.  Again it's all about being in control but not being overbearing so people can feel comfortable in an uncomfortable situation.

I've also had an encounter where we held a guy up and happened to see his buddy skulking around nearby.  It was actually a pretty fun little scenario, as we told the guy if he didn't drop his gun as well we were going to kill his partner.  He gave up and came out, we took their mags but let them keep their guns and sent them on their way.  That was actually at the neaf with 2 kitted out dudes, the second guy had an m4 and a mosin, we let him keep both.  The first had an m4.

As stated, this really is a game people shouldn't play without a mic or the knowledge of how to direct chat. Because even in a real life situation, someone almost will never not respond in one way or another....sitting there like an ignorant mute will only get you shot.

-But, I think your approach was a bit harsh and threatening, myself. You just converse a bit, if you truly intend to leave him alive if he cooperates.

"Hey there friend, Ive got a buddy or two with me and we're just scouting around, don't mean any harm. Are you hostile or friendly?"

-If no response, you just kindly let him know, "we have no intentions on hurting or robbing anyone as long as we ensure our group is safe or no hostile actions are taken against us. so please keep your weapon lowered and come out and chat".

-never reveal your group number or even mention you have a sniper. Just mention that your 'group' has the means but not the intention to protect yourselves and you're just looking to survive, nothing else. You could even drop a can of food or drink in an area he feels safe to pick it up, as a friendly gesture. The last person the 'victim' should realize is there is your sniper.

I guess I avoid EVERYONE if I can help it, because I trust no one in this game. I even communicate but then get shot at, without having a weapon in hand. So I stick to treelines, mostly night time scavenging around smaller towns. You will absolutely NEVER see me in the big towns or airfields unless I happen to know its a low pop server at the time, mostly for med supplies. Then Im literally in and out very quickly. Hell I even still stay prone most of the time like in the DayZ mod where you actually had to get around 20 zeds around town. Sometimes now zeds don't even exist or are far and few between.

I actually fear having an M4 and a 'custom 1911' that someone will think my weapon is hostile and desired. I actually prefer getting my rifles back. But its nice to have the capability to protect yourself in close quarters and rifles/shotties don't provide that assurance as easily. But I have my hatchet/axe out 95% of the time and only draw the rifle to show im armed and can/will protect myself if I come across another player.

And like Ultimate said, I would even consider joining a friendly group if they are not into KoS and just want to have a good addition to their team.But Ive never come across a friendly group unless its some ppl from the medical team that offered to aid me with a broken leg or even my friends that have played before.

• Like 1

To me people generally do not want any sort of "interaction" with other players because of the fear of being shot/killed/tortured/wounded(broken legs.) ect. and losing their "precious" gear, that they have slaved hours at hopping servers for all the right parts to their "kit'.

After reading your story in your original post, I see you didn't do anything wrong, you gave clear and concise directives to ensure that he/she would come out of this alive, yes many a person has told me, "I'm friendly, if you put you gun away, your free to leave, ect." which ends in me being the naive person that I am, believing said person/people and walking out of a building only to get lit up seconds later by these so called, "friendlies".

Now this doesn't mean there aren't truly good people playing DayZ, because in my 1070+ hours of gameplay I have met dozens of nearly to fully kitted players who want nothing more to go about their business and get what they need, I have made many in-game friends who had the upper hand on me and still wanted to talk and to see if I needed anything they had, ect.

I will add though, it all has to do with your tone and how you phrase things when giving out directives/orders ect. I can typically tell the difference between someone stating their friendly and they wont shoot me, by the way they talk and the tone they use when talking, so if I was you I would try to talk as nice and up beat as possible, while still having an authoritative tone while giving out ultimatums.

Lastly, it's the people who post about how players in DayZ always KOS or always resort to "Banditry" or post YouTube videos about KOS'ing and even Twitch TV feeds that spread the fear of any sort of "Interaction" being bad and that they should just murder everyone they come across to be safe.

P.S.

To the people who are harping on this guy about his actions and how he was wrong and how you feel that anyone in that situation should fight, need to put away your e-peens, take a chill pill, and go get some fresh air.

op i dont get why you would expect someone to interact with you in the situation you just described, seems really obvious to me that they would not want to interact

-But, I think your approach was a bit harsh and threatening, myself. You just converse a bit, if you truly intend to leave him alive if he cooperates.

"Hey there friend, Ive got a buddy or two with me and we're just scouting around, don't mean any harm. Are you hostile or friendly?"

-If no response, you just kindly let him know, "we have no intentions on hurting or robbing anyone as long as we ensure our group is safe or no hostile actions are taken against us. so please keep your weapon lowered and come out and chat".

-never reveal your group number or even mention you have a sniper. Just mention that your 'group' has the means but not the intention to protect yourselves and you're just looking to survive, nothing else. You could even drop a can of food or drink in an area he feels safe to pick it up, as a friendly gesture. The last person the 'victim' should realize is there is your sniper.

Had a guy find me in the jail building at NEAF the other day, and he said pretty much that I was surrounded, and to put down the weapon and I wouldn't die. I wasn't sure, so I did a bit of scouting in from the windows. I didn't see anyone, and after a bit, I had a thought. I poked my head in the wall to check, and there he was, no weapons or anything. Just hoping I would give up and he could get the jump on me out of fear. What a scam. Sorry, I don't give up when confronted. I would rather die and regear that be a plaything for psycho's trying to hold me up for no real reason.

randomspawn that's why I actually think it's a good idea to show yourself and some of your group when holding people up.  Obviously you don't want them to have full knowledge of your positions/numbers and all that but if some one is trying to hold you up, you should definitely be skeptical.  

I notice a lot of responses similar to yours qww, of why would anyone want to surrender or whatever.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the choice of not giving up, but what do you have to lose either way?  It's just a game, and the possibility for a more meaningful encounter than simply having a shoot out (again nothing wrong with shoot outs, but we're always going to have shoot outs) seems like incentive enough to at least give it a chance some times.  That plays back into tone and intentions and all that, and yeah, if the people holding you up already sound like assholes to begin with then hell no don't surrender, but if it seems like it could be fun then I say go for it.

Its DayZ, be VERY skeptical :)

Im the same though. Ill do everything I can to scout around, see how legit their claim is. But I pretty much get nervous and my pulse pumps up as I encounter someone randomly...you don't know their intentions and its way too easy to be friendly then have your back shot at while you're milling around. I ALWAYS take rear (no homo) when Im grouping with ppl I don't know

Why do some players avoid interaction?

Many many different reasons but in this particular case I would say because dying is preferred over being humiliated. Most people who carry around handcuffs are going to take a great deal of pleasure in "playing" with you while handcuffed. I would rather not partake in their gratification.  

Was this just poor judgement coupled with a non english speaking player, or a player silently raging at himself for his mistake?

Poor judgement of whom? You or him? I think he knew his odds and played the cards he was dealt, would I play them that way? Certainly not, you would have had to come in there and get me and I know I would kill at least one of you.

Did I do something wrong that spooked him into trying to run? My transcript is, excepting a few corrections in prose, word for word.

Can't answer that unless we know what your true intention was. It sounds to me you wanted a power trip (nothing wrong with that). You clearly had all the gear you wanted, so why take him prisoner at all? If that is the case then you did something wrong as you failed in that task. I would suggest if that is what you wanted then taking the softly softly approach works far better. Tell him to holster his weapon instead of dropping it, pretending it is just you alone etc etc. You already have him on edge just by knowing where he is and him not knowing anything about you but a voice in the cold.

I'd like to know what I could do differently in the future, and to do that I feel I have to understand the mentality that leads to the fight or flee reaction when a reasonable alternative is available.

As above, think like you are negotiator for the police or a hero wanting to help but being cautious at the same time but again hard to answer without knowing what your end goal was.

TL;DR: Go away or stop being lazy and read!

Twas a good story.

I finally understand: Despite having sufficient time to ruminate, rather than applying their intellect to the situation the individual in the original post instead relied on instinct and feeling.

Thank you!

That still would be human after all.

It's something one has to take into account if you corner somebody. I know, you probably thought you are in perfect controll. He didn't comply. Maybe it were his instincts to not to give you even more than that? But I don't see what he did wrong. I would have done similar in that situation, since I know that some things in this game are just there because it feeds certain egos. Not giving them what they want sometimes can be healthy.

Also what you did, holding someone up and do whatever, is not so unique in this game you may think. You don't know how many of such encounter he already had and how pleasent they were. Maybe he also learned from former experiences.

And as said, it's a game, it's based on voluntairiness. That means he would have needed to interact voluntary with you. Obviously he didn't want that.

In regards of combat logging, he didn't really do that. There was a combat, he lost.

Edited by Ken Bean

Thought I'd share some experiences from tonight since they pertain a bit to the topic.  Sorry they are a little long.

Story 1:

I was in the eastern hanger at the neaf, by myself and I saw a guy running across the entrance.  Shot him with my shotgun just as he got out of sight, and he immediately started begging me not to kill him, saying he didn't even have ammo.  I go take a peek and he's crawling around, with his sks slung on his back.  I felt a little bit bad, and there wasn't a lot to gain from killing him so I told him I wouldn't kill him and apologized for shooting him.  Just then a shot hit the hanger near me and I took cover, immediately asking the dude if that was his buddy.  He denied it, saying he was alone and that he'd just logged on.  I suspected the dude was up on the hill, but I made a quick sweep around the hanger to be sure and didn't see anyone, completing my loop back at the broken leg guy, but in cover myself this time.  He oddly wasn't taking cover, and then he confessed that the guy was in fact with him but that he wouldn't shoot me.

I told him I'd go find him some morphine/sticks and trusting him made my way completely exposed to his sniper buddy.  No more shots, no reason to believe he was being dishonest any more.  I got to the eastern jail and as I'm about to go in, a guy with an sks is coming out and opens up on me.  I manage not to get hit and he retreats back in and I go around the side.  After a bit of a standoff with some more shots exchanged and him still inside I ask him if he's also with broken legs guy.  He says no, and that the sniper was shooting at him as well.  I tell him if he wants he can just come out and run away, we both agree to put our guns away and I make sure to see he has his away first then do the same.  He comes out and I tell him to get out of here, watching as he goes off to the south.  Sweep the jail and no morphine or sticks, I come back out in time to see broken legs guy rounding the corner at the atc.

I ask him what's up, and he again tells me "oh I have no ammo man, you can even check my bag if you want."  Now, I personally could care less if this guy had ammo the whole time or not, and that's the attitude I bring into these scenarios.  I'm gonna give people the benefit of the doubt, and if I get killed for it that's fine, I genuinely don't really care besides an ever so slight lack of respect towards their dishonesty.  So I tell the guy "I don't want to look in your bag man, I trust you, I don't care."  He insists "I'd really rather you look in my bag" which immediately sounds odd, I tell him again I don't care (honestly I was considering giving him 20 rounds of sks I had) and in this time he's crawled into the bottom floor of the atc towards the back of the bottom stairs.  I'm standing outside, halfway in the doorway just by coincidence when from under the stairs a figure leans out and unloads in my direction, clearly with broken legs guy he was trying to get me to come check his bag and have his buddy shoot me.

I say something along the lines of "what are you trying to trick me man?" and then he gives me some half ass excuse that the dude isn't with him.  sure...  So I lean in real quick and kill broken legs guy, and then I notice 2 more guys closing in from the west as well.  I take some shots and move around a bit but don't score anything effective and ultimately die as I can't manually reload my shotgun fast enough to compete with their rifles.

Story 2:

Ended up back at the neaf with my group this time.  4 of us camping 3 scumbags who are glitching walls in the eastern jail, waiting for them to slip up.  This goes on for a long while, and we suspect they'll eventually have people ghost in behind us.  Time goes by and eventually we start taking fire from the west, towards the hangers.  Two of our guys drop pretty much instantly, I move in the direction and my other buddy who's still alive tags and kills one of them.  I'm at the industrial area now, near the wall and I catch a glimpse of a guy on the other side.  He says he sees me at the moment I see him and I back up into one of the industrial sheds.  He starts talking to me.  He says he doesn't want to kill me and that he thought we were holding some one up in the jail.  He seems friendly enough, but honestly a little bit insincere as well as he's basically just telling me things I want to hear.  It almost seemed like maybe he'd been reading this thread actually =P as at one point he tried to tell me I was in control of the situation.

I explained to him what was going on, that there were people cheating in the jail and that there was really no way for me to know if he was with them or not.  I would have loved to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'd already been betrayed earlier and this guy had just killed 2 of us as well.  My buddy says if he drops his gun then we can let him go, so I tell him to drop his gun and he says only if I drop mine.  That's not going to happen.  Any other time I might have given this guy a chance and he was trying really hard to talk to me but I just couldn't do it.  If he was with the jail guys we were effectively sandwiched between them.

After a while I just stopped talking to him, around the same time some gun shots go off.  I hope he'll think I got killed, and sure enough after a bit of silence and waiting on his part he moves up and I popped out and killed him.  Felt a little bit bad if he was genuinely sincere but under the circumstances, no way.

In the end both scenarios ended up more interesting for me.  I died in the first one, but the alternative would have been blasting a guy who has broken legs then dealing with some more gun fights.  Fun as well, but when all is said and done I'll take what happened even with myself dying at the end.

Second guy was saying all the right things and pretty much doing everything right except for the key factors that #1 he'd just killed 2 of my friends and #2 he had me and my buddy pincered, whether he was with the other guys or not.  There was pretty much nothing he could have done to make me want to surrender.  It was still a more interesting encounter than if one of us had simply popped around the corner and shot each other immediately.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1