rocket

DayZ Update 1.5.7

I'd say there should be a happy medium between what was in the last patch, and now - that'd be the most reasonable approach given that there's no real consensus for one side or the other.

The respawn timer really needs fixing, as does the radius of the spawn - when you spawn in, just with starting gear, and there are already a dozen zombies within 10 metres, who all then come after you, and their mates nearby are alerted when you try to defend yourself... yea, there's a reason the average life expectancy is now less than 30 minutes, which just isn't really fun, to be honest.

I think the numbers are interesting, I probably won't adjust them, but I will adjust the respawn times. It was weird before but now its just full-retard.

Any bug fixes? Like for being stuck unconscious until you have someone find you or you die of hunger? I have been lying in place for a few hours and my hunger/thirst is only orange yet and humanity does not drop while dead so no benefit there (makes sense).

Lol any way to reset my whole DayZ account?

PS: Your mod rocks =) Thank you

You know, when you see the zombies constantly and in great number, it stops to be scary. It's the same effect as with Amnesia game - it's so scary because you don't see the "zombies", you're too afraid to look at them, and when you finally see them, the magic is broken, and you're no longer so afraid.

I remember my first contact with DayZ zombies, the numbers of them were then little - how scary it was to suddenly hear those noises and be attacked by 1-2 zombies after much time of not seeing them.

Now, I don't really know whats the best solution, I'm only pointing to this psychological effect - that you're most afraid of things that you don't see, you're most afraid of your imagination (like suddenly being scared by a bunny in the woods...). If you are constantly bombarded by the "scary things", you start being indifferent and they no longer scare you.

yea' date=' there's a reason the average life expectancy is now less than 30 minutes, which just isn't really fun, to be honest.

[/quote']

And it isn't because of the zombies.

Before the PCG article the life expectancy was from 3-4 hours.

Then there was a MASSIVE influx of new people who were trying it out not fully capable of utilising Arma2, dying quickly and then never playing again.

Couple that with the increase in Banditry spawn camping, you have your 30minute lifespan.

The Zombies current spawn amounts are fine. They range from 350 up to 800 on average from what I've seen.

I think the numbers are interesting' date=' I probably won't adjust them, but I will adjust the respawn times. It was weird before but now its just full-retard.

[/quote']

Thank goodness. I don't mind the numbers but I do mind zombies spawning around me right after I just killed them.

I was in an area where there are two deer stands within view of each other and by the time you move from one deer stand to the other zombies already spawned behind you. I wish loot respawned that fast.

And it isn't because of the zombies.

Before the PCG article the life expectancy was from 3-4 hours.

Then there was a MASSIVE influx of new people who were trying it out not fully capable of utilising Arma2' date=' dying quickly and then never playing again.

Couple that with the increase in Banditry spawn camping, you have your 30minute lifespan.

The Zombies current spawn amounts are fine. They range from 350 up to 800 on average from what I've seen.

[/quote']

The life expectancy, when I was checking the mod out just before this latest patch was released, was about 4.5 hours or so. Within a day or so of the patch being released, it's now 29 minutes (currently) - if the huge increase in zombie numbers, and their spawnrate, isn't at least a significant contributing factor, I'd be surprised.

I think the numbers are interesting' date=' I probably won't adjust them, but I will adjust the respawn times. It was weird before but now its just full-retard.

[/quote']

Awesome, that sounds like the right way to do things. It does seem like it's the respawn system that's broken at the moment, and it's not like zombie numbers can't be tweaked some more later on.

Rocket said a few days ago that the life expectancy counter was wrong, it was about 4 hours in reality.

Oh, and straight after the patch life expectancy dropped only to about 3 hours ;)

Rocket said a few days ago that the life expectancy counter was wrong' date=' it was about 4 hours in reality.

Oh, and straight after the patch life expectancy dropped only to about 3 hours ;)

[/quote']

Where did he say it's wrong now? Because it's hovered between 35 minutes and 29 minutes for the last day or so.

The whole reason i bought ARMA II was so i could play this mod. i love this mod and thinks its awsome. cant wait to see what is added in the future and i especially can't wait to see this mod go int o ARMA III. thank you guys for the amazing mod and good work on the heli death fix. that drove me nuts :angel:

Got stuck in the general store in Krasnostav for like 20min as the Zeds just kept respawning haha I found myself thinking "Rocket I need more winny ammo!!" LOL it was pretty awesome.

Just curious I haven't seen anything about it but to the Zeds aggro when you're in building because they can smell you? or is that a bug?

Best game of my life BTW.

I don't think they can smell you. If you move silently they will not aggro. Sometimes they can see you through doorways and windows though

Can anyone confirm that zombies can actually see through WINDOWS and not the whole wall?

I don't think walls reduce the noise you make. So if you get close it doesn't matter if there's a wall in the way or not, they will spot you.

These are Artificial Intelligence. They do what they are programmed to do and smell and sound are two senses that digital AI are not capable of.

I suspect the script that each infected uses is a combination of distance, speed and stance check to detect against playable characters. So walls and other obstacles need not matter.

Furthermore, firing event handlers are probably attached to each playable unit and when a character fires his/her weapon, a script is probably executed that passes the characters weapon class to an array and checks the distance of any units nearby that belong to the infected classes. Your carried weapon and stance will more than likely determine the distance in which that script checks for infected unit classes to declare which ones respond.

You want to stay alive while surrounded buy hordes? Stay low and move slow. But keep in mind that also, there is still a "knowsabout" command that all AI units autorun to detect for enemy units, in this case, player characters. I suspect it relies on side class identification to change the behavior of infected units and reveal player characters to them for reaction.

hurry up and remove the skins this is getting old being a "bandit" because i had to defend my self and now that im stuck as a bandit im KOS so once your bandit you cant go back. there needs to be negative effects for low humanity to counteract the natural stupidity of people hiding behind there PCs

rocket , i love you !! u read my mind for the game i want , y no advertisements , i had to wait for sumone to tell me !!

I've changed my mind about the zombie situation. I LOVE all of these zombies. Far more realistic, and creates new branches of tactical operations in regards to PvP.

I was only initially raging on the release of 1.5.7 (as of most).

I also think the amounts of zombies is adding to the feeling of the mod, it also forces a lot of players to actually work together to stay alive.

Now that 1.5.8.2 is out, I am looking for the 1.5.7 files in the hopes that some servers still run that version. Does anybody have copies?

thats 1.5.6

id like 1.5.7 as well again so we can play for those of us that have the lagtastic fps and other issues with the latest build..

Anybody wishing for a full revert to 1.5.7 at this point? Between infection/temp issues,the horrendous fps drop and character corruption that 1.5.8.3 is experiencing it seems to be looking more and more attractive.

For me, the version 1.5.7 is the best:

- Zombies more agressive and more difficult

- Tents working

- Fix cars working

These 3 things make 1.5.7 the perfect verison for me. It has no item menu action integration with right mouse, but well.... wheel mouse to interact with items was not that bad. Still is working in 1.5.8.x for some actions (light fire, switch weapon, take bag... etc)