energeticsheep

Improvised Rifle Scope

Alright. Thank you for shedding light by commenting on this topic. If we could just leave this now for other people to post their opinions, thank you. c:

I'll put it this way... to someone who is doesn't know anything about physics it might seem like a reasonable idea that a cannon ball would fly straight up until it "ran out of steam", then suddenly plummet to the ground.

Scholars actually believed and taught this in medieval times. To someone today, with even rudimentary knowledge of physics it's an absurd concept.

ejp405251f6_online.jpg

Hah, that's amazing. You'd have thought they'd notice the trajectory of the shot. I have to assume that this is a pretty early diagram and that they can't have thought this for very long.

In regards to the idea... eh. It seems very unrealistic. I'm not necessarily against it, but I can't see it being implemented.

What would be interesting, however, would be a quick switch between rifle and binocular without having to very slowly put one item away, stand up, do a backflip, grow a mustache and then take the other item out. I wouldn't want to see this quick-swap with everything, just with items that one would expect to use with one another - such as a rifle and a pair of binoculars.

No, you would have to calibrate it and that would be incredibly difficult I assume, considering how powerful the ingame binoculars are

Edited by aloned

Throughout playing DayZ, although it was always kind of easy to find let's say a 'Long Range Scope' of kinds, I always wondered what it would be like if  DayZ was more of an "Improvise to Survive" sort of game.

DAYZ WILL NEVER BE IMPROVISE TO SURVIVE THAT'D BE TOO EASY NOW

• Like 1

It's true its not a very practical idea, its kind of Robinson Crusoe and you'd need a machine shop, it would be very difficult, and work badly and why bother. There are readymades laying around.

On the other hand

If you ever found a gun - with standard iron sights, or any kind of sights - the first thing you'd do would be sight it in. If it's in working condition that's the absolute first thing to do right? That takes some time. I've been unlucky in life, I've never found a LRS lying around I could just clip on a gun and hit stuff 1000 yards away.

• Like 3

LiquidCactus.. If you don't have anything productive to say, don't say it at all. It's a suggestion, if you don't like it then be my guest and say so with a provided reason and I'll respect it. There only reason you're commenting is so you can get yet another post because you're a postwhore. If you really wanted to state how much you hated this suggestion, you would've done so without being so immature.

and thank you Pilgrim for noting both sides.

Edited by EnergeticSheep
  • Like 1

why do people have to be assholes to this guy? he has an idea. if you didn't know any better in real life, you'd probably do this too. hell, i tried to do this in real life and guess what. it doesn't work that well. but you can still do it. and in a zombie apocalypse if i needed a "sniper rifle!" would i do it? hell yea

• Like 2

I'm sure they were relating to the fact that the majority of weapon accessories are military grade or used for hunting; what if someone didn't have access to this and they were scared to hit up an airfield; simple, you can find hacksaws, duct tape and binoculars everywhere.

Precisely, sticks and stones.

So far 99% of the suggestions for new items are "fallen of the truck" survival and it makes me sick how unimaginative people are. In a survival setting you would try to be resourceful, taking an item that might not work or that you might not need and turning it in something useful is a valuable survival skill. It doesn't have to be all the way to unrealistic mcGyvering but still, you can make due without relying on sporting goods store or care packages.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 2

Isn't this a newtonian dynamic diagram? If it is, it's correct.

Nope. Aristotelian impetus theory. They actually thought the projectile moved along that path.

impetus.gif

Later they realised projectiles followed a curved path but they still did not understand parabolic motion.

AristotleTrajectory.jpg

Well, maybe sincebthe mosins so long, just sit the bino.between the front and rear sight, kinda like a magnifier theybmake theae days. An apocolyptic hybrid sight :D

But no actual SCOPE with this afro-engineered contraption. Id like a simple red dot sight (Glass shard+ red paint/marker+ duct tape= quick fix red dot)

Pretty bad idea imo.

Nobody with any firearm sense would do this, they would simply use the provided iron sights.

• Like 2

This is literally the most stupid suggestion I have ever encountered.

No offense, but this is baffling, even after numerous posts explaining how idiotic this is, you have yet to realize how inefficient and unpractical this thing would be.

I'm tempted to try out your idea in real life, record it, and show it to you just so you can understand. Go out to the range and look like some sort of idiot, but it would be worth it, though it may not change your stance.

Sorry but this would be the most nonsense, non working, inaccurate shit in the universe

Edited by Nikom7

I jus came back for a 2nd giggle and peak at this thread cause its been a week :D

Nope. Aristotelian impetus theory. They actually thought the projectile moved along that path.

impetus.gif

Later they realised projectiles followed a curved path but they still did not understand parabolic motion.

AristotleTrajectory.jpg

Curious, tho they still understood the loss of energy was not instant. At the same time with the tools of the time it's pretty damn hard to accurately measure a projectile's curve. I suppose they assumed that at certain speeds it would overcome gravity fully before starting to drop.

I don't know man, it's a reasonable conclusion to the fact that cannonballs are fired in a straight line but still end up dropping back on earth :)

But by the time cannons where used by infantry this misunderstanding was solved.

Come to think of i... did they even have parabolic equations at that time?

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Curious, tho they still understood the loss of energy was not instant. At the same time with the tools of the time it's pretty damn hard to accurately measure a projectile's curve. I suppose they assumed that at certain speeds it would overcome gravity fully before starting to drop.

I don't know man, it's a reasonable conclusion to the fact that cannonballs are fired in a straight line but still end up dropping back on earth :)

But by the time cannons where used by infantry this misunderstanding was solved.

Come to think of i... did they even have parabolic equations at that time?

"Working out where the cannonball will go" is probably by far the main interest and research subject that has led to us sitting around playing computer games now.

The idea of differential equations was only proposed around 1700 without practical applications, by theoretical mathematicians. What we call Ballistics, an applied science (mechanics) did not exist before 1800. It took, for instance, about a century before Newtons laws of motion were accepted and found useful in "the real world" (that's us normal folk, right?)

So for example there was a smart "normal" French guy, in the 1800s called Brianchon - who was a mathematician and gunnery officer. Educated at the Ecole Polytechnique, which was the top level science and engineering school, re-organized in 1804 by Napoleon as a military academy for science/engineering study. Brianchon had a geometry theorem named after him AND became an artillery officer in Napoleon's armies. Moral of the tale: At the time, if you had the required abilities, maths and warfare were ONE subject, which previous to 1800 they were not.

after 1800 schools everywhere were teaching ballistics.

Before 1800, design and use of artillery in the field, was based on trial and error, tests to draw up range tables, and just downright personal experience. This is pretty contemporary, if you think about how long folk have been throwing things at each other.

Edited by pilgrim

I hope you realize this is a game.. a game in which zombies have more or less taken over. Not everything has to be realistic to the tee, there are flaws in this game which are not realistic, I'm sure we can both agree and will most likely not be changed as they make the game better overall.

The game's realism doesn't reach out to things that will make the game extremely boring (Hyper-realism). But, small things that increase immersion are highly realistic, or at least will be at full release. You having to swab your skin with disinfectant material and physically insert an IV and then wait for the fluid to drain by gravity is a lot different than what we have now. Why? Would you honestly play the game if everything was hyper-realistic? Obviously not. You're suggestion is offering us to attach binoculars (which actually don't have a cross hair) to a rifle so you can have something to aim with. This is one of those things where the game can be realistic to the tee and not lose a large amount of their playerbase. Overall this is a stupid suggestion and is a bit arcadey, as I would expect to see this in a game like Dead Rising or Tomb Raider.

• Like 1

the bullet would strike the squirrel in the tree and not the bandit 

So to all the people saying it would hit nothing..

So to all the people saying it would hit nothing..

It will never hit anything you want it to hit or you are aiming at, its a damn binocular ducktaped to a rifle, seriously, that makes no sense.

i think its a cool idea! my first scope i made for my airsoft when i was 14 was like this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I would like to have a bunch of stupid things that will never work to craft.  Think about it, in a zombie apocalypse a lot of people would be trying to craft stupid things like this.  I think it would be cool if there were 10 or so weapons/gear/clothing that kind of makes sense to those not educated about it but were never destined to work.

Well I think its a pretty cool idea... but only as an improvised attached spotter scope. Using it as the main sight would just be too ridiculous. So instead of mounted on top it could be side mounted. The more  'homemade' weapon attachments the better. I want to be able to tape this on the side of my painted SKS, with a PU on top and a flashlight taped to the barrel.