Sign in to follow this  
Jiggly Ritz

Easy Way To Chamber Weapons

I was recently fumbling around with the ammo/reloading system in dayz standalone, and in my frustration a stroke of brilliance (debatable :D) hit me. This pretty much has to do with the chambering of weapons, and how derpy it tends to be.

Basically my way of improving the chambering system works like this:

1) Put ammo (in bullet form) into either pants or shirt pocket. The reason being that in real life it is very quick and easy to pull a round from your pants as opposed to fumbling around in your backpack. If you were to have the rounds in your backpack, and none in your pants or shirt pocket you would have to drag and drop the ammo like normal.

2) Then, when holding the weapon you wish to chamber a round into, simply press the reload key ("R" obviously)

Note: If you have a magazine with rounds in it then the weapon would automatically use the magazine instead of chambering.

So, let me know what you think about this. Also, if you have any suggestions feel free to chip in.

I have mixed feelings about this, as it is now I like the fact that you have to open your inventory, take the round from there and put it into your gun, the fumbling of it all makes a resemblance to real life and how you would pull the bullet out of your pants yourself and putting it in the gun. You see what I mean?

I have mixed feelings about this, as it is now I like the fact that you have to open your inventory, take the round from there and put it into your gun, the fumbling of it all makes a resemblance to real life and how you would pull the bullet out of your pants yourself and putting it in the gun. You see what I mean?

somewhat, but if they want the reloading to work that way it should work the same way for the magazines because in real life just like chambering a round you would have to physically remove the magazine from your backpack/pants or whatever, and put it into the gun.

Devs said they are working on chambering. Biggest concern I have is snaploaders being made worthless, but that could easily be fixed by simply making snaploaders give you -50% reload animation time.

No.

Possibly the most constructive post I've ever read in a forum. How long did it take you come build that argument? The better part of a day, I would imagine.

As for the OP, I could see it being viable, but Survivor_Ted (nice name, by the way; that's my name IRL :P) makes a good point. It will be interesting to see what the devs come up with later.

• Like 1

somewhat, but if they want the reloading to work that way it should work the same way for the magazines because in real life just like chambering a round you would have to physically remove the magazine from your backpack/pants or whatever, and put it into the gun.

Alright. Don't quote me on this as I am no military/gun expert, but I think reloading a magazine is much easier than chambering a round.

No, because it's obviously more difficult to chamber a single bullet rather than sticking a mag/clip into the gun. Having to open your inventory and chamering the bullet manually reflects this perfectly. I hope they keep it as it is now.

Alright. Don't quote me on this as I am no military/gun expert, but I think reloading a magazine is much easier than chambering a round.

Actually it's not, its about the same (varies for different weapons and skills.. but generally ..) loading one round does not take longer than changing out a magazine, difference is your mag has a lot of rounds in it.

But also - for instance - in RL, the M4 is modern designed for quick change. Putting a clip of rounds into an SKS takes more time and more careful action (IMO).

Reloading a hunting rifle in RL, of COURSE you wouldn't keep the spare rounds in your backpack. You'd have to be crazy.

Edited by pilgrim

Reloading a hunting rifle in RL, of COURSE you wouldn't keep the spare rounds in your backpack. You'd have to be crazy.

If you wanted it to be more realistic, you could always store your ammo in a shirt pocket or, even better, a tactical vest pocket (if you have one); having to scroll down to access the backpack slots makes it a bit more like having to take it off your back to get into (as far as ease of access goes), so I think it works.

Could just have a different animation that takes longer.  I see no need to over-complicate something as crucial as reloading.  This would still make it too easy to chamber the weapon rapidly though...  +10% chance to accidentally drop the bullet after each subsequent chambering (up to 50%) for 20 seconds.  

Adrenaline does many things, increase finger dexterity it does not.

Edited by Darth_Vaizard