Hetstaine

SSD smashing the fps in cities

Finally purchased an ssd, Samsung 840 evo 250gb, clean install of win 7(32bit)and installed Steam and SA. This is on an old rig (i5, gtx560ti, budget gigabyte mobo, 4gb ram)that can not using the full capacity of the ssd as my mobo is only sata II so i can't utilise the sata III 6gbs speeds, difference is about 285/275MB/s(3gbs)read and write v 550/520MB/s(6gbs). v roughly 50/120MB/s for an average hdd.

Launch game, settings to medium across the board and running through Svetlo is like a hot knife through butter. With my hdd Svetlo was effing terrible, it became the town i couldn't go to even on low settings. Pumped Objects, textures, shadows,terrain to very high and i can still run through Svetlo very comfortably, couple of times i had micro pauses but %100 better than what the hdd could do on max low with everything tweaked to squeeze every frame possible out.

I have not even trimmed windows down yet or applied any cfg or launch settings to look for any more frames yet.

Happy times for under 160 bucks :)

• Like 2

I wish, need a new cpu to go with :)

I was always led to believe SSD just improved loading times... have I been lied to?

Swapped Dayz to an SSD myself a few weeks ago. It is a brilliant thing!

I have 120GB SSD already, with Win7 64bit + DayZ SA, and still i need to put object detail often to low, when in Cherno, Elektro or Berezino.

That's with i7-4770K, 8GB DDR3 and Radeon HD 7870 2GB.

So for me it's back to waiting for when devs update the renderer part of engine.

btw to be honest, after guaranteed system msg, I was getting a lot more smooth gaming experience!

You need to do a few things to add performance to SSD's, as (if you're running Win7) it's not mainly tailored for the use of SSD's.

I don't have the articles here I used when I installed mine, but there were a few things I did to get that extra bit of performance of what was possible just by tweaking the systemsettings. (disable searchindex, defragment and so forth)

It's worht searching for a few tweaks. :)

I´m a SSD user myself and of course the Samsungs rock :thumbsup:  But to be honest it doesn´t do much on the fps. An SSD will improve loading times and stutters can be a little shorter when you have HDD access while gaming but the gameplay and graphics itself is the job of GPU und CPU.

I´ve experienced myself that the performance of the game can be very different from one time to another. It may depend on how many players are on the server and in the vicinity of you, how many loot is still lying around, weather and so on.

Like said, an SSD does nothing to your fps at least if you don´t have massive disk access while gaming, but that would be a problem anyway.

Had a HDD 7200 rpm 1TB switch to SSD 840 pro, no dífference still crap fps. And I'm on a gaming rig

You need to do a few things to add performance to SSD's, as (if you're running Win7) it's not mainly tailored for the use of SSD's.

I don't have the articles here I used when I installed mine, but there were a few things I did to get that extra bit of performance of what was possible just by tweaking the systemsettings. (disable searchindex, defragment and so forth)

you shouldn't defrag an ssd - BAD ADVICE

That's what I said?

I was always led to believe SSD just improved loading times... have I been lied to?

Don't know :) Huge improvement my end though.

I have 120GB SSD already, with Win7 64bit + DayZ SA, and still i need to put object detail often to low, when in Cherno, Elektro or Berezino.

That's with i7-4770K, 8GB DDR3 and Radeon HD 7870 2GB.

So for me it's back to waiting for when devs update the renderer part of engine.

btw to be honest, after guaranteed system msg, I was getting a lot more smooth gaming experience!

I was still getting terrible frames in Svetlo on the latest exp net msg and 100 man servers yesterday morning, the only thing changed is installation of the ssd, it is like going from crawling to running.

Yeah i am going to start sussing it tweaks etc soon :)

I´m a SSD user myself and of course the Samsungs rock :thumbsup:  But to be honest it doesn´t do much on the fps. An SSD will improve loading times and stutters can be a little shorter when you have HDD access while gaming but the gameplay and graphics itself is the job of GPU und CPU.

I´ve experienced myself that the performance of the game can be very different from one time to another. It may depend on how many players are on the server and in the vicinity of you, how many loot is still lying around, weather and so on.

Like said, an SSD does nothing to your fps at least if you don´t have massive disk access while gaming, but that would be a problem anyway.

I was geting periods of seconds of inactivity in Svetlo, and it was a stuttery clusterfuck at best :) Made the joint totally unplayable. To go from that on low settings to now running on high and only getting random micro stutters is massively different :) This was on a full server as well.

It wasn't something as simple a bad hdd either, all other games play smoothly and once away from the bigger cities so did the SA. I need to get some more hours in, did 6 yesterday and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face yet.

That's what I said?

I believe he just misread that, it's kind-off a dubious statement :p

has anyone tested this with ramdisk? I have a ssd but I also have a lot of ram so I'm curious about this. even a few fps could make a difference in those lagtowns.

• Like 1

okie dokey then. I read it differently.. "nurse more frog pills!!"

• Like 1

Magician will optimise but if you don't have a 6gb data flow connection on you MB you will not get the best of the potential offered.

I run Intel Rapid in the background (Magician is deactivated once set).

It is acknowledged that BIS games profit from SSD's.

He means disabling it it!

The only thing you should really do is running the performance index (don´t know the exact english term) then Win7 recognices the new storage device as an SSD and should deactivate defrag (schedule) and activate trim. Normaly theres nothing more you need to do, except maybe checking that these things are set correct.

The other things kichilron mentions are not really necessary. What people are trying to do is to reduce writing access to the SSD to get less wear and longer lifetime. But with some more years of experience we know that longevity is in general no problem.

And actually Win 7 is perfectly tailored for SSDs.

Having the same ssd as OP, i can confirm that it runs (only a bit but noticeable) smoother.
Main thing, where an ssd helps with arma engine is not the fp/s
but the huge ammount of data (i.e. textures) loaded ingame all the time, which reduces stuttering

I believe defrag of your SSD is disabled in a clean W7 install. I did not notice any difference in fps between old skool hdd and a ssd. Startup is much faster.

there is not much at all to setup an ssd on win7 nowadays.. maybe disable energysaving, defrag & index .. 
i use my ssd as i would a hdd and ssdlife is predicting a lifespan up to 9 years .. and i used it 1 intense year allready
even i do not give much about those prediction
BUT
my boot time is heavily increasing eventhough i have a (relativley) clean install

ps since some winupdates i have an welcomescreen of 12 secs ... O_o ?!?
   earlier it didnt even popup more than half a sec

Edited by dawud

SSDs cant increase ur fps.. what made ur pc run dayz better was the reinstall of the whole system.

The only thing SSDs do is load things alot faster than HDDs.

Edited by snowyy1337
  • Like 3

I have never played standalone on a mechanical HDD but I can't see the framerate increase being that good, SSDs really only improve load times and texture pop-in. I still only get 18-25 FPS in cities like Svetlojarsk and not one setting, tweak, nor overclocks makes a damn bit of difference to me other putting than object detail on low or very low. This is a known issue though, and I eagerly await this fix to 'object proxy culling'.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

I believe defrag of your SSD is disabled in a clean W7 install. I did not notice any difference in fps between old skool hdd and a ssd. Startup is much faster.

Yes, clean install is the best thing you can do and all should be ok. But when just using a migration tool or installing the SSD as a further mass storage you better run the performance index.

"I was geting periods of seconds of inactivity in Svetlo, and it was a stuttery clusterfuck at best"

If you have the last official drivers for your NVIDIA card installed, try the 337.50 beta driver. There was a problem which causes pauses/freezes of up to 5 seconds or so, at least on my GTX670. It is gone with the 337.50s.

SSDs cant increase ur fps.. what made ur pc run dayz better was the reinstall of the whole system.

That might apply for other games, but ARMA 2 / ARMA 3 and DayZ: SA are proven to be running smoother with an SSD.

I did a clean win 7 install on a new hdd about two months ago. No difference in game at all. I always run a lean machine but still generally do a fresh install once a year.