ThatBritshGuy

Thermal sights. Yes or no?

Gibonez I desperately want to see what you are talking about lol. If it is a video explaining realistic bullet physics and how to hide muzzle flash and the glint of your scope, then I agree, no point to thermal IF we get binoculars

I would say no. They feel a bit cheap.

I would like some grainy glitchy NVGs as a super rare item though.

• Like 1

Gibonez I desperately want to see what you are talking about lol. If it is a video explaining realistic bullet physics and how to hide muzzle flash and the glint of your scope, then I agree, no point to thermal IF we get binoculars

Check the video out when you get a chance it is the solution that the game needs concerning snipers.

It is honestly the only solution that will not alienate anyone and at the same time reward skill and knowledge.

It might be annoying but things like this would not just disappear from the world

The same thing could be said for nuclear weapons, tanks, AC-130s, submarines, jets, etc. Should we just add those in game for the sole fact that they "would not just disappear"?

My short answer is no.

• Like 1

I don't think any scopes/optics with thermal capabilities should be implemented in the standalone.

I do, however, think that NVGs should return.

Definitely no, all attempts at being quite, careful and staying hidden will instantly become futile when some hostile with thermal appears.

Also I find this phrase a bit funny:

real zombie apocalypses

Edited by StopChewingMyLegDude

I know most people don't like the idea of a thermal scope but the thing is in a real zombie apocalypses there would still be thermal sights around the place and if ignoring things like this just because player find it annoying is not the right thing to do, Its a apocalypses, things are not meant to be easy, if someone has managed to find a rare thermal scope then fair play to them. It might be annoying but things like this would not just disappear from the world, they would be rare but player should still be able to find them.

I would not really care if they did or did not add these in but it would be a logical thing to do.

You are contradicting yourself there. You are saying things are not meant to be easy yet you want some sort of thermal scope added to the game... :huh:

You are contradicting yourself there. You are saying things are not meant to be easy yet you want some sort of thermal scope added to the game... :huh:

He means well.

He wishes to fix how easy sniping is and how viable it is but the problem is his solution only creates more problems.

Instead he should focus on the root cause of sniping being the most viable form of gameplay and those reasons are

1. Gunplay in stand alone sucks so much compared to the mod due to the lack of mil sim aspects and consistency

2. Sniping is too easy and requires depth and complexity.

For me when you start debating about stuff like thermal or nvgs you just end up with more questions than answers. I mean does anyone truly know what year the game is set in?

I know arma 2 was set in 2009 and OA was 2012, so how long after these events did the viral outbreak occur and how long has it been since then?

Knowing that we can then look at whether or not there is the infrastructure still in place to allow someone to charge their batteries (electrical grids/properly integrated generators etc) and in the case of batteries which are still packaged have they self discharged over time? 

You also have to look at the fragility of said items and how long they would last in the hands of your average joe. These devices contain complex electronic components and I doubt anybody other than an expert could maintain them properly. 

These are just a few points that I've seen raised in the community over the past year or so, and there have been many more more. So for me it has to be a no.

Edited by MartinD

no, because:

both military night-vision and thermal scopes make as less sense as 3 military airports ,2 military bases and 2 military outposts in such a small territory as chernarus. not to mention guns and ammo in every 3rd civil house. Or policestations in villages with 20 inhabitants.

Also, if they spawn very rare,you would provoke more serverhoppers trying to loot them. If they are not rare, you wouldnt be able to play at night without one.

if it needs to be in game because hall & co needs to steal even more pseudo-soldiers from ea and activision, i would prefer the most harmless solution to lore and gameplay:  nightvision binoculares, cheap and common in hunting. But i think there are things to add first anyway, like normal binoculares.

and i agree, sniping is to easy. they should add wind to ballistics or reduce damage on long ranges.

geetings

They only take away from the gameplay and thermal weapon sights would not be likely items to be found lying around anyways.

So no.

• Like 1

The only reason why sniping is more viable at the moment is because it is the only way to accurately get a shot on target.

Let's face it , gunplay in stand alone is complete and utter shit, the guns feel terrible, the dispersion is game breaking and above all there is no consistency.

For these reasons alone sniping is the only reliable way to kill a player at any range over 100m.

Any other weapon you pretty much are just rolling dice to see if the magical dayz gods bless you enough to hit the target.

That is all that needs to be added to make sniping less viable and at the same time not punishing anyone and rewarding skilled players.

I think people understand that you want ACE's sniping mechanics, you don't need to post that video every single time you respond to something related to snipers.

Besides, ACE still has some quirky parts of the ballistics, mainly due to Arma 2's engine problems that Take on Helicopters solved to an extent. They're obviously better than the current Standalone mechanics, but the engine potential is greater than what ACE alone offers.

On topic, I'd say yes so long as they were some of the rarest things in the game. Dean did discuss thermal scopes specifically when he talked about hive-wide rarity and control of item spawns, and I think it would be very interesting for only like 10-20 out of the thousands of people playing to have one.

I mean, not everything in the gameplay has to be 100% balanced. Lucky or rare finds that are considerably powerful should be in the game, as long as not everyone has constant access to them.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I would be ok with it, IF! Thermals were some sort of binoculars and not scopes & if they took batteries that would die really quickly % if they were rare of course but thats already covered.

Personally it doesn't bother me ONCE global loot economy is implemented and high-end loot can be made truly rare across all servers, until then definitely not.

Dude makesa point. 

As an one rare spawn item maybe, but I'd probably still be worried about duping such an OP item.

If they're rare then I'm not against them. I remember in the mod when I had M107 TWS. My friend kept it for long time after it was removed from the loot table and he was going to toss it away but I took it. Probably one of the last M107 TWS was buried after two weeks. It was pretty cool to own something that unique.

I think people understand that you want ACE's sniping mechanics, you don't need to post that video every single time you respond to something related to snipers.

Besides, ACE still has some quirky parts of the ballistics, mainly due to Arma 2's engine problems that Take on Helicopters solved to an extent. They're obviously better than the current Standalone mechanics, but the engine potential is greater than what ACE alone offers.

On topic, I'd say yes so long as they were some of the rarest things in the game. Dean did discuss thermal scopes specifically when he talked about hive-wide rarity and control of item spawns, and I think it would be very interesting for only like 10-20 out of the thousands of people playing to have one.

I mean, not everything in the gameplay has to be 100% balanced. Lucky or rare finds that are considerably powerful should be in the game, as long as not everyone has constant access to them.

I am simply addressing his problem with sniping and showing him how adding thermals is not the solution.

Showing him how game mechanics fix his problem while not introducing another one like thermals would.

nope

Sniping needs to be balanced, but adding thermal detectors would only make it worse.

Just adding realistic windage and elevation to sniping would already make it hard enough.

Yeah sure that means more weapons, and more things to be crafted but make them rare. night goggles would be fucking amazing also !

Absolutely not.

Not in any shape or form both from a lore stand point and a gaming one.

#1. Thermal optics and binoculars are huge , heavy and expensive not to mention rare. So finding one would be pretty stupid in eastern europe.

#2. They completely ruin gameplay by no longer requiring the player to find their targets and simply making light up.

well... i have 2 of them and one pvs-14. Eastern Europe. Is not that easy to find as a helicopter, i give you that, but even in EE we have them.

well... i have 2 of them and one pvs-14. Eastern Europe. Is not that easy to find as a helicopter, i give you that, but even in EE we have them.

You must be very wealthy thats expensive gear you there.

Well I have 2 M1A1 Abrams' and one Apache. Murica.

Unrelated. You were refering to Eastern Europe like we are leaving in  caves here.