Sign in to follow this  
Fuerii

m4 and sks experiences

Recently I was in a firefight where I had an sks and my opponent tried to KOS me with an m4. My bad for letting him get the jump on me. :( I won't bore you with the details but the main point is that he opened up on me and landed two body shots. I didn't get knocked out, I didn't get any fractures, I didn't even bleed. I had my back to him so I can't say how close or distant he was but I know they were body shots because my jacket and vest got ruined.. Due to the lack of injury I was able to recover and end him. 

So my question now, is that normal for an m4? Typically once I have mp attachments I start rocking the m4. But if that is how 5.56 is performing right now then I am thinking that the sks is a better choice for rapid fire engagements despite its lower ammo capacity. I have never at any distance had two rounds not take someone down.

What do you think? 

p,s, when talking about the m4, i am talking about a fully kitted m4. MP parts and the like. 

Edited by Fuerii

I'va had similar experiences, i've even been shot in the head by a M4 and survived. My beret did'nt though. It seems that the M4 relies to much on the condition of the attachments and the condition of the target (Freshspawn or bandit, i'm not judging), just too many factors. The SKS relies more on actually hitting the other guy, 2 rounds seems to do the trick anytime.

But i still prefer the M4 because of the higher rate of fire and ability to supress the other guy. I always run for cover when bullets start to whizz around my poor little beret and most people do, making it well suited for fire and movement.

I would say, M4 if you're in a team and SKS if you're doing the lone wolf thing.

But this is just my opinion, i don't have any facts.

• Like 2

my understanding is that the attachments greatly impact the dispersion, but not the damage. I tend to agree with your overall points though. I am lone wolf lately, and the sks just seems more reliable to me.

SKS does do more damage but I forgot where I saw the damage difference, its really hard to find the actual useful stats for the weapons at the moment.

I know that the M4 has weaker damage than the SKS

A pristine SKS is more accurate than a pristine default M4

A M4 with all magpull parts is more accurate than an SKS and gets excellent groupings on semi and decent on auto

Theres a lot more to the decision process than just damage and accuracy but theres some food for thought.

The 7.62x39mm bullets chambered in the sks do around 5700 damage and the 5.56 chambered in the m4 does about 2800 i think, also i beleive if you were healthy that would of helped.

M4..

For Close to medium range engagements you simply cannot outperform the M4 in terms of ammo + rate of fire. With proper attachments it's incredibly accurate and can be equipped with a RDS for close/Med range, or an ACOG if you want to engage targets between 200-700 meters.

Yes.. I said 700 meters. Lower your FOV down, bipod out, lay prone, and snipe people with an ACOG M4.. It works.

Simply put, the M4 is just more versatile. 

For close range:

M4 > SKS > Sporter/Shotgun > Double Rifle > Mosin

for Med range

M4 > SKS > Double Rifle > Mosin > Sporter > Shotgun

For long range

Mosin > M4 > Double Rifle > SKS > Sporter > Shotgun

Does anyone else think that it's more than a little bit stupid how taking a bullet sometimes has no significant effect?

I'm no weapons expert, but I feel like I'm playing an arcade shoot-em-up from the '90s where you had "health" points, and could afford to just soak up hits and then replenish later by finding health pick-ups. And the Sporter is a total joke - what is it, an air rifle?

A bullet - any bullet - does you serious, lasting damage if it hits you, surely? Even a flesh wound would require treatment and hamper your mobility while healing?

Yeah I've had pretty bad experience with the m4, hitting people and watching them run off. The sks always seem to destroy everything it hits + it can deliver rapid shots with low recoil which I love.

The M4 is a piece of shit with out MP buttstock and hand guard, bipod makes it better (If you are prone) and make sure you take off your M4 bayonet from it, it increases dispersion dramatically. 

The SKS is more of a pick-up and go type of gun, the only real attachment that you need for it is the PU Scope, even then you can do just fine using the Iron Sights on it.

It's true that the M4 is pretty lack-luster until you have attained all the right parts for it, but I find it more to my liking, because it allows me a wider spectrum of roles when engaging a target.

However, with the Grenade attachments coming out sometime for the M4, I can see A LOT of people using it just for the purpose of blowing crap up...

All in all tho, when the AKM is released I will be dropping my M4 and picking that gun up.

I am trying the sks a bit more to see how it rocks.

Though don't seem to find stripper clips for it any more dunno why.

I mosly play experimental so maby some thing is diffrent in the last patch.

Maby some loot spots not working

Does anyone else think that it's more than a little bit stupid how taking a bullet sometimes has no significant effect?

I'm no weapons expert, but I feel like I'm playing an arcade shoot-em-up from the '90s where you had "health" points, and could afford to just soak up hits and then replenish later by finding health pick-ups. And the Sporter is a total joke - what is it, an air rifle?

A bullet - any bullet - does you serious, lasting damage if it hits you, surely? Even a flesh wound would require treatment and hamper your mobility while healing?

I think the same.

I love to see bullet damage be diffrent from melee damage.

Let melee damage has bleeding effect and bullet damage a diffrent status.

Like you have to use pliers to pull the bullet out first and than stop bleeding with a bandage.

Now thad i gave it some thought maby give a bullet shot both a bleeding status and lets say... a wounded state.

Thad way you can bandage yourself to stop the bleeding and later on remove the bullet and clean your wound before you get infected.

Edited by (DD)DutchB4k

Does anyone know at what distanced the 5.56 cartridge starts to lose it's stopping power? And the rate of that decrease? I can't seem to find this type of ballistics information in any of the popular databases

Edited by Fuerii

It is typical for the M4 in this game. It is very weak but I still prefer to use it unless I am in a player hunting mood, in which case I pick up an SKS. The strengths of the M4 are its rate of fire and ammo capacity so I use it as more of a defensive weapon, it is very good for CQC if I am playing alone and for suppression if I'm playing with friends.

Does anyone know at what distanced the 5.56 cartridge starts to lose it's stopping power? And the rate of that decrease? I can't seem to find this type of ballistics information in any of the popular databases

It really depends on specifically what round, what barrel length, and what the bullet hits prior to it entering the body.  It's commonly stated that the m855 loses it's capacity to consistantly yaw and disintegrate below 2,500 ft/s.  This means about 100m for the m4, and about 200m for the m16.  Beyond these ranges the forces exerted on the bullet as it's yaws and tumbles through the body do not exceed the bullets structural integrity meaning that the bullet will pass through withough dumping much of it's energy.

There are particular rounds that significantly increase the effective lethality range of 5.56 rifles.  Some of these include heavier match grate boat tail hollow point ammo, as well as the supossedly improved copper cored m855a1.  Match grade 77gr ammo has significantly improved ballistic stability as well as more consistant effect on target, a result of not being specifically yaw dependant for energy transfer.  they are capable of dropping at deer dead at 600m with a shoulder/chest shot.  The m855a1 is supossedly slightly faster and more stable than standard m855 while also not relying on excesive yaw forces on the projectile to dump energy.  "Effective" ranges are stated to be increased to the 300m range, however I'm sure there is a trade off in terms of close range stopping power.  The copper cored m855a1 is also known to have better terminal ballistic performance against cover than 7.62 m80 at medium ranges which is certainly significant.

Regardless of which type of 5.56 ammo you use, it is extremely deadly at close ranges.  The bullets almost explode after they have penetrated a couple inchest resulting in the majority of the 1,300 ft/lbs of energy being rapidly transfered to the surounding tissue.  If the projectile disintegrates, it's ability to dump energy can easily be 5 times greater than a .45acp.

Edited by taco86

sks seems to have high damage and a very respectable rate of fire. I have yet to have it fail me from point blank to medium range. Does fine without any attachments too. I have yet to fight more than two people at once with it though. I would imagine the higher RoF and capacity of the m4 would do better in a situation where you unexpectedly encountered 3 or more people at close range. The sks is, imo, surprisingly good at close range though.

Hmm. I am actually wondering how many bullets it takes for an SKS to kill someone because in another life, I was looting the NEAF control tower. This guy with an SKS totally ambushed me on the second floor and got in 2 bullets but I still somehow survived. I ran out and he was chasing me and we did a good game of "tag". He got in another 2 or so bullets in me. Then I ran up the tower on to the roof. He didn't follow. I was bleeding out so I decided to go back down the ladder but he finally finished me.

4-5 bullets? WHAT?

So SKS vs M4?

Which is better. I currently have an SKS with PU and bayonet, but I also have a ton of M4 stuff incase I find one.

Don't get me wrong,taco, I love me some real firearms..but how much of that is reflected in Dayz? I was looking for in game impact of distance on the m4

I've left the M4 for the SKS on both modes. I find it to be more precise. I haven't required increased rate of fire or mag capacity so far.

I can't speak to that wiz. But I will say I've never needed more then one double tap during 50 to 100 yard engagements. At greater distances there would be some drop off I think.

I remember one time ending someone in the control tower at nwaf, I was at the third hangar from the firehouse. It still only took two shots and I'm fairly certain they were body shots. Any drop off must occur at greater distances then that. Unless he was wounded I guess.

Edited by Fuerii

Don't get me wrong,taco, I love me some real firearms..but how much of that is reflected in Dayz?

Nada

As it stands it is no different from, say, Battlefield

It may feel more realistic due to the different tactics and the way the game is played, but there is almost zero "simulation" aspects to the weapons in the current build

Edited by Gews

Nada

As it stands it is no different from, say, Battlefield

It may feel more realistic due to the different tactics and the way the game is played, but there is almost zero "simulation" aspects to the weapons in the current build

I would go as far to say as Battlefield feels more realistic.

Atleast in battlefield the shooting feels consistent less RNG.