c00lface

Looking back, Do you think that EA release was a good idea?

One example of how Steam don't vet anything was WarZ - remember how they didn't check that at all and aollowed people to get ripped off? Look into it further and you'll see Steam do fuck all it seems in QA.

Steam is a marketplace, not a publishing company, it's not their job to do QA on products that are being sold, they will remove problematic products (scams) but i don't think it's up to them to judge wether the game is "good" or not, that's a very subjective thing to do.

Do your homework as a buyer for god's sake.

• Like 1

Steam is a marketplace, not a publishing company, it's not their job to do QA on products that are being sold, they will remove problematic products (scams) but i don't think it's up to them to judge wether the game is "good" or not, that's a very subjective thing to do.

Do your homework as a buyer for god's sake.

Steam make money off their portal for every game they sell so yes, I expect when making a transaction they do some QA on products like making them at least go through a review process or by tying down the company contractually and fining them if they pull any bullshit like WarZ cunts did. 

Steam make money off their portal for every game they sell so yes, I expect when making a transaction they do some QA on products like making them at least go through a review process or by tying down the company contractually and fining them if they pull any bullshit like WarZ cunts did. 

Define what kind of QA tho, if the game is functional? sure. if the store page is accurate and doesn't lie? Definitely. If it's any good? Games are an art form, you can read reviews and make your own opinion.

Define what kind of QA tho, if the game is functional? sure. if the store page is accurate and doesn't lie? Definitely. If it's any good? Games are an art form, you can read reviews and make your own opinion.

Take WarZ as an example, they blatantly lied about their product and it should never have gotten on Steam. Steam should have fined them a lot of money for trying to rip off their client base. As long as the game isn't lying and isn't bug ridden (ie. it's functional) then that's as far as they need to go.

They don't need to review games and shouldn't because that just won't work. It's up to the public to read reviews before they buy a game but they don't need lying to or having a broken game.

They're called game reviews, read them ;)

that's what I'm saying lol, I don't impulse buy. I check out their website, reviews, youtube videos, etc. before I get a game. I'm picky with what I like. I always assume that their upfront advertising is designed to draw interest more then it is to explain the game, but that goes for everything, not just games. I understand the want for high quality control, but with higher quality controls comes more expense to indie developers to get their games on steam, that could in the end hurt a lot of small developers trying to get started.

For example: look at what Dean said about getting DayZ onto Xbox One, because of their rules it probably wont happen since they need a major company as a publisher, and some up front costs.

There is more then enough information on the web for people to make informed decisions before they purchase a game, if they don't want to loose their money to a poor product they need to:

a. Research

b. Not purchase on the day of launch till more information comes out

c. Not buy into early access games

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 1

So, as title says, do you think that releasing this game in its state as EA alpha back in december was a good idea? Do you think it needed more work even for an alpha release? Or maybe more features implemented?

From a dev/publisher point of view, it's great. No real product and you still get the cash for it. December being one of the better months to release something.

From a player point of view, you can do a lot of research via youtube videos and discussion forums before deciding to buy a product or not.

The whole concept of EA or paying to test a product that is in alpha is pretty weird - but the goal of it is to make money, so I guess that it works.

Hahahahahaahah..... Nether.

Or as it was almost titled: "War Z: Survivor Stories, Vol. 2"

I could care less what is called or was going to be called it's currently better then DayZ and they are updating way faster.

• Like 1

Your argument is fucking ridiculous but let's blow your points out the water with a nuclear depth charge - do you have your life raft ready?

1) A good game is a good game. People enjoy playing good games and people enjoyed the mod but hated the bugs. The SA is hoped to iron out the bugs, tie up all the loose ends the mod couldn't and get the zeds right plus giving us some new content.

"If it wasn't for the mod players, dayz wouldn't exist" WTF??? You might as well say "If it wasn't for drivers, cars wouldn't exist" Of course the MOD wouldn't exist if nobody had played it to begin with! Jesus in a balloon what a stupid thing to say. We all played the mod and we all wanted an SA.

2) Zombie's have never been "a recent thing" just look at the string of movies of the decades and games. Games don't "get old" either. If a fucking awesome game comes out people are going to play it. Why the fuck do you think they're still making civilization if the genre's get old? By you're reckoning games would have stopped being made decades ago since every type of game has been done and redone over and over. Good games sell it's that simple and with youtube now, good games get exposure which generates more sales.

3) Your ignorance is amazing. Have you looked at the type of games being sold at the moment? How many different genres of games are there? Presumably work on BF4 and COD has stopped right because of the zombie thing? If DayZ came out in 3 years time and was an exceptional game then of course it's going to sell! What part of great games selling cannot get inside your thick little head?

in not much time you'll bite your tongue.

All genres have a 'boom' for some time then people lose interest. See need for speed, as i already mentioned. It was one of the most played games some years ago, when there was all those fast and furious films, it was the "pop" moment for street racing games, now i ask, do you see any interest on a street racing/tuning game right now?

Following your argument, "racing games exist since NFS1", but how do you explain it losing all the evidence on the media?

Pop culture, friend, it's cyclical, what's pop today, is not tomorrow. The zombie 'pop' period is reaching its end already, walking dead is losing evidence, there's not much films of the genre going out, people are tired of them, people are getting tired of all this 'zombie survival' thing.

If you dont understand that, i'm sorry, but the ignorant here is you.

They're called game reviews, read them ;)

there cant be reviews for early access/alpha games, where's your god now, huh?

doesnt it look like the perfect 'escape route' for a bad game? "it's alpha!!1!"

Edited by lipemr

I think this games time has come. H1Z1 will be the new standard for the genre sadly.

Of course there are reviews then.

Pop culture, friend, it's cyclical, what's pop today, is not tomorrow. The zombie 'pop' period is reaching its end already, walking dead is losing evidence, there's not much films of the genre going out, people are tired of them, people are getting tired of all this 'zombie survival' thing.

The cyclical nature of pop culture has been redefined with the advent of the internet. Everything that was ever on the table, is currently on the table. Niche audiences of millions can connect together and drive the creation of media so that things that in the past would have fallen out of the public eye no longer loose relevance. DayZ, and zombies in general have way too passionate a fan base to simple "go away" for a decade at this point. Saying zombies are are a passing fad at this point is like saying superheroes are a passing fad, you might be right on some level but there are still 100k people who go to any given cities comic-con every year who will plunk down money for whatever marvel movie comes out.

TL;DR Niche audiences drive media in the modern world, so your understanding of the nature of pop culture is out dated.

The cyclical nature of pop culture has been redefined with the advent of the internet. Everything that was ever on the table, is currently on the table. Niche audiences of millions can connect together and drive the creation of media so that things that in the past would have fallen out of the public eye no longer loose relevance. DayZ, and zombies in general have way too passionate a fan base to simple "go away" for a decade at this point. Saying zombies are are a passing fad at this point is like saying superheroes are a passing fad, you might be right on some level but there are still 100k people who go to any given cities comic-con every year who will plunk down money for whatever marvel movie comes out.

TL;DR Niche audiences drive media in the modern world, so your understanding of the nature of pop culture is out dated.

Well, a ton of people are tired of the zombie survival genre, there' always the diehards that will play it for the rest of their lifes, but even developers are getting away from the concept.

For example, nether decided a different approach, but its pay to win politic is bullcrap. Epoch for Arma 3 (if they wont do a standalone game) wont have zombies at all, rust removed the zombies from the game, etc.

You wont see any recent movies of the genre coming out after World War Z, etc.

you're right to a point, but nothing is popular forever, people get tired of the same and the DayZ genre had a LOT of other games to saturate people's minds about the zombie survival niche. Even walking dead, the most pop series about this zombie thing is losing audience.

Of course there are reviews then.

How do you review a game that's not released?

You review starts biased from the start just by that.

Even walking dead, the most pop series about this zombie thing is losing audience.

The Walking Dead had its highest ratings ever this year, hell the only episode that beat the finale in ratings was the premiere. This years finale had 3.2 million more people watching than last years.

I think you've got a major case of confirmation bias going on. You want zombies to be "over", so you're looking anything that confirms that "fact" in your head.

• Like 1

In Dean's own words, they didn't even want to release it. They only did because we kept begging for them to do so.

There are pros and cons, but I think there is a net benefit as they now have a lot of cash to re-invest.

I call BS on that. They knew they were going to make a lot of money by doing it and they knew they were going to be making money TWICE in many cases, because a LOT of people purchased Arma 2 just for DayZ and you want to capitalize on the current demand which would fall off as time went by. THAT was their reason for releasing it. NOT because people begged for it. Don't fall into such BS lies.

I call BS on that. They knew they were going to make a lot of money by doing it and they knew they were going to be making money TWICE in many cases, because a LOT of people purchased Arma 2 just for DayZ and you want to capitalize on the current demand which would fall off as time went by. THAT was their reason for releasing it. NOT because people begged for it. Don't fall into such BS lies.

They worked on the mod for ages for free, and they delayed standalone multiple times before eventually releasing it on early access. I don't see a reason to believe Dean is lying.
  • Like 1

Everyone had a complete and clear warning, with the creator even telling you not to buy it. There's absolutely no reason anyone shouldn't have been able to make a smart consumer decision to buy it in support of the vision, wait till release, or even wait until videos came out other than sheer stupidity.

The developers received some serious capital to invest in the progress of the game, and I've had over 100 hours of fun so it was good for me.

• Like 1

maybe by being a dick on the forums people will start to realize that not everything can be solved with an "alpher" or "go play anothur gamur, durr"

Being a dick doesn't help anyone.

Being a dick doesn't help anyone.

Well, i'm just really, REALLY tired of this bunch of potential teenagers that came to these forums after the game was released and think they know much about everything.

Giving fanboys space to this 'witch hunt' that they're doing with every critic that comes out is not helping the development nor is helping the overall community. Fanatism is never a good thing, it's even worse when it is for a developing game that needs decent feedback to know what needs to be changed. A bunch of people posting "its all good, thank you devs for giving this alpha as a present, zombies clip through walls and magpul parts magically reduce your dispersion, but no need to change that, we love the game for what it is" wont help at all.

I admit that i overreact pretty much every time, but given the situation, at least i'm showing who the immature people are, like that dude following me every topic.

Well, i'm just really, REALLY tired of this bunch of potential teenagers that came to these forums after the game was released and think they know much about everything.

Giving fanboys space to this 'witch hunt' that they're doing with every critic that comes out is not helping the development nor is helping the overall community. Fanatism is never a good thing, it's even worse when it is for a developing game that needs decent feedback to know what needs to be changed. A bunch of people posting "its all good, thank you devs for giving this alpha as a present, zombies clip through walls and magpul parts magically reduce your dispersion, but no need to change that, we love the game for what it is" wont help at all.

I admit that i overreact pretty much every time, but given the situation, at least i'm showing who the immature people are, like that dude following me every topic.

Turning a blind eye to the faults is never a good thing to do, and the zombies should have been completed by now after 1.5 years in development BUT... it is an alpha and we can only expect so much. 

Most people here are not accepting the faults but rather that it's in alpha. So it is kind of different. 

in not much time you'll bite your tongue.

All genres have a 'boom' for some time then people lose interest. See need for speed, as i already mentioned. It was one of the most played games some years ago, when there was all those fast and furious films, it was the "pop" moment for street racing games, now i ask, do you see any interest on a street racing/tuning game right now?

Following your argument, "racing games exist since NFS1", but how do you explain it losing all the evidence on the media?

If you dont understand that, i'm sorry, but the ignorant here is you.

Zombies have been popular for decades. Presumably FIFA football 25 or whatever are running at a loss too right? Pop culture has nothing to do with anything when it comes to gaming as long as the game you make is a quality product. Gamers play great games when they come out.

Well, a ton of people are tired of the zombie survival genre, there' always the diehards that will play it for the rest of their lifes, but even developers are getting away from the concept.

For example, nether decided a different approach, but its pay to win politic is bullcrap. Epoch for Arma 3 (if they wont do a standalone game) wont have zombies at all, rust removed the zombies from the game, etc.

You wont see any recent movies of the genre coming out after World War Z, etc.

you're right to a point, but nothing is popular forever, people get tired of the same and the DayZ genre had a LOT of other games to saturate people's minds about the zombie survival niche. Even walking dead, the most pop series about this zombie thing is losing audience.

How do you review a game that's not released?

You review starts biased from the start just by that.

You mean as summer approaches and the weather is better people aren't staying in doors to watch TV - wow, imagine that!

The zeds have been removed because they can't get the zeds right and they take up too many resources.

I don't know anyone that's "tired" of the zombie genre. Most people who are into it love any kind of zombie media and simply are not going to stop themselves buying a zombie game if it's amazing.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not talking about early access views - where did I say I was talking about early access reviews? If you sign up for EA then it's on you. I signed up for DayZ to support BIS for supporting the mod and would have done so if the SA was shit. I had 2 years with the mod for free so £20 was no big deal.

Other early access games I have no interest in. You wait for the finished product and the reviews to come out and if you can't do that expect to waste your money.

The Walking Dead had its highest ratings ever this year, hell the only episode that beat the finale in ratings was the premiere. This years finale had 3.2 million more people watching than last years.

I think you've got a major case of confirmation bias going on. You want zombies to be "over", so you're looking anything that confirms that "fact" in your head.

It's called making up your own facts to try and bolster a shitty argument.

Watch the roadmap video it's all explained there, you're wrong, go back to bed.

Turning a blind eye to the faults is never a good thing to do, and the zombies should have been completed by now after 1.5 years in development BUT... it is an alpha and we can only expect so much. 

Most people here are not accepting the faults but rather that it's in alpha. So it is kind of different. 

Watch the roadmap video it's all explained there, you're wrong, go back to bed.

I think this games time has come. H1Z1 will be the new standard for the genre sadly.

You say that like it is a totally bad thing. They are creating a similar game that I can almost 100% guarantee will not provide the same survival depth as DayZ, making it an easier pickup and play game. In the end people who want a simpler game will move on and those of us who like the complexity of DayZ will remain here and not have to filter through all the casual players asking for things to be made easier, adding in HUDs, etc.

I'm glad Rocket has stuck to his guns and is building the game the way he wants for the most part with adapting a few small changes from suggestion he likes, not just community pressure with the growth of a lot of casual player coming in. This game for its genre is a one of a kind, there are and have been many other "zombie" games that have hit the market, but Dean stepped into a relm of breaking all the core development rules and created a following by doing so with all the people who got fed up with the way games were being developed, DayZ isn't without its faults, but in my opinion the good far out way the bad.

• Like 3