tatchell (DayZ)

What are the most popular VoIP programs for DayZ?

Most popular VoIP software for SA?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What VoIP software do you use?

• Team Speak
    • Mumble
    • Ventrilo
    • Steam Voice Chat
    • Google+ Hangout
    • Other
    • None

It's interesting that no one uses Ventrilo, and hardly anyone on Mumble considering they are essentially the same service as TS (and mumble appears to be fairly cheaper).

Edited by tatchell

HHAAAA!!!!

Google hangouts, how the f did that get in there. Team speak all the way, on Skype there is no push to talk which makes it far more inferior. Everyone can hear everything you do.

HHAAAA!!!!

Google hangouts, how the f did that get in there. Team speak all the way, on Skype there is no push to talk which makes it far more inferior. Everyone can hear everything you do.

Hey I'll have you know I had a friend who insisted on using G+ hangouts when we played BF3 lol... Stupid I know but it did the job (whilst murdering my internet :P )

Edited by tatchell
  • Like 1

Also, can I ask what the one vote for "other" was? I don't really know of any other VoIP software (unless you are referring to the in-game direct chat)

Edited by tatchell

Used Stream VOIP for a while. Worked alright with 5 people, but got a little busy when we all wanted to talk. Been using Skype recently with 3 others with good success. That is now my go to. I need to try Teamspeak though.

what? is that a rule?

Uh, no, because it is something that us Moderators do. Your comment was irrelevant to the topic at hand. Now, as I said, please stick to the topic.

Edited by Inception.

I haven't seen much talk by the developers about Walkie-talkies so far. If you've played with one yet it has different channels. Eventually if your whole team had one you could all be on the same channel in game. It would only work if you can see who's on your channel though as you don't want enemies hearing your plan. It could be effective in game one say though.

On topic though TeamSpeak because I do like the push to talk option. Too many times on open mic my wife has said something that had my mates laughing at me for weeks afterwards.

• Like 1

I'm using Steam because it's free, already included in the client that is open anyway in order to run the game and i play only with a friend so it seems to me the easiest choice. I had some connections drop (5-6) over 170 hours of gameplay and I can live with that.

I would like to try TS but i don't know anyone who could give me a slot for free so i guess i will stick with Steam.

Some Dutch boys convinced us to use mumble, I have to say its very good ( apparently similar to TS) but they swear by it

I like any VOIP that will let me, and others, use push-to-talk. Really the one reason I do not use Skype anymore.

I am so tired of listen to people cough, sneeze, swear, gurgle, and scream at their spouses/children/parents. Or listening to people talking on the phone about sometimes quite frankly, disgusting things I and other have no interest in learning.

And God help you if they have a wireless headset and then decide to go to the bathroom. And have the headphone part around their neck instead of their ears, so our desperate pleas for him to stop go unheard.

Maybe Skype managed to patch in some sort of push-to-talk setting by now. Or maybe they have always had it and me and my buddies are about as sharp as a bag of doorknobs.

I run my own private TS server which is perfect for me and my buddy while "Dayzing"

I'm using Steam because it's free, already included in the client that is open anyway in order to run the game and i play only with a friend so it seems to me the easiest choice. I had some connections drop (5-6) over 170 hours of gameplay and I can live with that.

I would like to try TS but i don't know anyone who could give me a slot for free so i guess i will stick with Steam.

Yeah team speak is free, there are tons of public servers. Only thing is you might encounter the odd soundboard funny guy every now and then but it is definitely worth it.

I started off using Skype to simply connect two remote groups of friends, but when you start involving people in more than two locations it becomes annoying. TeamSpeak is much easier for groups.

I use Dolby :)

I used to use that, very true that is very decent to use, great quality, and if you have surround sound with dolby you can put people around you on the grid so that you can separate everyone's voices. Very sexy if you have 7.1, unfortunately not enough people use it. *shrug* So I just us TS with a crew around 10 people. 

Comments hidden.

Please stay on topic.

Edited by kichilron

I don't know why there is this myth about TeamSpeak costing money, I used to believe it myself before I actually checked it out because it was one of those things people banded about so much. I think it only costs money if you're using it for a business (which probably explains why server companies charge through the nose for slots).

Mumble and TS only TS you need to pay for a server lisence where mumble server is compleetly free so I run both.

You do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server, the server software is a 6MB executable you can download for nothing.

If you or a friend run the server on your computer you don't need to pay for slots, the server uses practically no system resources and only needs about 5KB/s of bandwidth for each person using it.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

I used to use that, very true that is very decent to use, great quality, and if you have surround sound with dolby you can put people around you on the grid so that you can separate everyone's voices. Very sexy if you have 7.1, unfortunately not enough people use it. *shrug* So I just us TS with a crew around 10 people. 

I think TS does that too - the 3D option I think?

Hopefully when they mirror all mic activity in game chat will be the popular option.

Hopefully when they mirror all mic activity in game chat will be the popular option.

"When"?

I don't recall them saying that they will do so, not to mention that they wouldn't even be able to do so.

"When"?

I don't recall them saying that they will do so, not to mention that they wouldn't even be able to do so.

of course they could do so.

Just disable any mic controls in game disable push to talk then mirror voice chat from the mic over in game.

Would work for 99 percent of players.

of course they could do so.

Just disable any mic controls in game disable push to talk then mirror voice chat from the mic over in game.

Would work for 99 percent of players.

People would just use the mute switch on their mic/headset or disable it on a per-app basis for DayZ, and still use third party comms.

• Like 1

I use TS3.. haven't used Ventrilo in ages.. never used the others really... used Skype years ago as well sometimes but that isn't really good for gaming imho.