Sign in to follow this  
{GPG}-Domino

Name Tags

Hey,

First post, new player from the GoProG4merz clan.

ive been playing standalone for a few days now,

i have but one suggestion, it would be nice to add team mates to a group, "Group Manager"

all members in this group can see visually other team members names above/on player while in this group.

This is obviously so we can distinguish team members always by looking at them and not having to ask:

"who is that running on the left"

"who's that on the hill"

"who's inside the police station"

etc etc..

or maybe show player names of players in your vicinity, maybe have an option to either show/hide own names in this scenario so you can be anonymous if you wanted to be.

or maybe add both, show names always if in a team/group and option to hide names if not in a team, else they are visable.

:)

Thanks.

Edited by {GPG}-Domino

Hello there and welcome to the forums and congratulations to your first post.

I do believe, that this is not really fitting for the universe of what DayZ is, though. It's supposed to be somewhat realistic and I don't think nametags or floating names would be realistic in any way.

• Like 5

That would be pretty unrealistic haha. Try getting all your buds to wear Green berets or Red berets, or clown masks or wolf masks. 

You can easily distinguish like that, or just stay close to each other. Me and my friends usually say when we see someone "Friendlies go prone and tactical roll" and if they don't, then we shoot, unless fresh spawn of course.

Although, welcome to the forums! :)

My way of distinguishing friendlies is the UN helmet. Everyone has their little thing for ID.

No for names.

When I meet people I ask them to type their names, while I type my name.

And in critical situations you just have to remember who wear what like in RL.

Also good communication will save someones ass.

My way of distinguishing friendlies is the UN helmet. Everyone has their little thing for ID.

What a coincidence. My way of zeroing is the UN helmet.

What a coincidence. My way of zeroing is the UN helmet.

I have special rules for my squad, too. We can't shoot anyone and our only offensive measure is: "Hey you! Stop it!"

Being the game that DayZ is, name tags floating over peoples heads is not a feature you will see in any form. Unless when modding comes around they implement this, but you won't see it in the Vanilla game.

You are meant to be confused in a fire fight if not fully aware of where your team mates are. Group comms and awareness is key when it comes to confrontations in this game, it makes it more realistic and fun really.

One interesting suggestion that came up when this was last discussed involved having a player dead centre in your virtual sights for a short distance or scope sights for longer distances, for a fiew seconds. After that and as long as u had both introduced to each other before the name could appear in a corner of the screen like a message, ("u think this is sleek stick" for example).

As your DayZ career flourishes Domino, you will understand why we are all against the name tags. Even with a separate group manager app like you suggested. Having awareness of your people and surroundings should not be nerf'd for any reason..

Maybe something more like an arm band from rags.. maybe one day the colour of rags could actually correspond to the colour of clothing that you tear up.

Until then, items of clothing and different head wear is what we have for now to distinguish between who is in your crew and who isnt. To be honest everyone looks pretty unique anyway due to the clothing so remembering what your friends are wearing shouldn't be to much of an issue, a name tag is kinda lazy :P 

This idea, which is not new goes against EVERYTHING that is DayZ. If they brought this mechanic into the game I would uninstall, end story.

EDIT: And how the hell would I get away with TK'ing my team mates "accidentally" if they had this.  :rolleyes:

Honestly, a distant indication wouldn't work. However, the coloured rag on the arm is an interesting idea. There was also a suggestion a while back, where when two people are close enough, they can do a "handshake" animation (that they both have to agree to), and after that, if they come withing a certain range and you're looking directly at them (say, 50m), you are given some sort of indication that it's them. In my opinion the coloured rag idea is better, but they both have some good points.