Николай13

Player Controlled Currency System?

Hey guys, I was just thinking about ways the Devs could improve the game. And I thought about adding a player controlled currency system like there is in EVE Online. It could use an in-game item as currency, something that you could stack. Any thoughts are appricated.

EDIT: Players would NOT be able to purchase in-game currency with real-life, national currencies($/£/€). You would have to earn it.

Edited by Николай13

This is up to the players. If they want to trade things and use ammo as currency, it will become mainstream and normal after a while. If its food, then food. The players will decide, no need for the devs to interfere.

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 8

In-game currency should never have a place in Dayz.

Players should have to barter with items such as beans, bullets and meds.

Edited by GrappleX
  • Like 6

Bartering/trading with other players work... if you trust them, so an in-game currency with a fixed value isn't really necessary.

I reckon further down the line, if they add more people to the servers and implement barricading, base building and the like - some people will set up shop or provide areas for safe® trading.

This has been discussed a few times already. The general consensus (from what I've seen anyway) is that bullets are a good bartering chip, as well as any extra weapons or bigger food items (rice, cereal, beans). 

In the trades i've done, bullets were the most common want/need by other players. I was also able part with 3 bags of rice for a couple of boxes of .22 ammo and a speed loader for my magnum.

As the above poster said, you need to be careful about trading, and there really isn't an official, fixed rate for this stuff. It's all about trading for what you need and hopefully trading with someone who will come to an agreement on a fair price for those items. I'm all about fair trades, and have been fortunate to find some folks who had the same frame of mind.

Metro has a pretty interesting system.The main currency is military grade ammo, which can be both used for combat and trading.Though that wouldn't fit in DayZ because 'the everything' happened pretty recently (given by the amount of zombies, which are actually people infected with a prion disease [spongy, spongy brain], which should die pretty quickly in real life mostly due to starvation and lesions), so military grade ammo wouldn't be as hard to find as in Metro.

• Like 1

We already have ingame currency, its called food/water/ammo/weapons/etc......

EDIT:

Damn you DarkwaveDomina ;)

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

Hey OP?  You realize you can make a thread and still get your point across without resorting to using oversized fonts?

Also, there is this: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172229-unofficial-trade-thread/

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

I was thinking we could use pokemon cards to trade...

For other pokemon cards!

• Like 1

The developers need to implement systems which make things valuable to other players, able to be stockpiled, and traded in-game.

The developers, also, in my opinion, need to stop ignoring the detrimental effects that third-party programs and the meta-game have on the experience of DayZ (eventually, as it's still pretty early).

In-game currency should never have a place in Dayz.

Players should have to barter with items such as beans, bullets and meds.

What about precious metals/valuable objects?

Like finding rings, jewelry, a high-grade circuit board, some part of a rare gun, etc.

There already is a player controlled currency, every item in the game that has any use.

This, the way always looked at it is that if an apocalypse were to happen in real life would people be using a currency and the answer i get is fuck no. The things you have would be your currency, items and objects which you would swap for other objects and items but there would not be an actual pre-apocalypse monetary system and so it does not belong in this game.

sigh....

for all of you saying that there wouldn't be a currency around after the apocalypse, you are incorrect. While we don't know what an utter and total collapse of society would ultimately be like, we can make a pretty good educated guess, based on human psychology and current and past events.

Based on that, it is estimated that organized trade would be literally the first thing to spring back up after communities form again, which, depending on the society, could happen in a matter of weeks after the-shit-hits-the-fan event. Organized trade, by its very nature, requires a "medium of exchange", a commodity that is recognized by all parties as having value, while also being relatively simple to make with a standard level of quality. In real-life events, items like lengths of cloth, measurements of gunpowder, bandages, pre-paid cellphone cards, etc, have been used as this "medium of exchange". 

In my personal opinion, I would expect hard alcohol to become the standard "currency" in a SHTF situation, due to the relative ease of manufacture, means of guaranteeing quality, and the sheer number of purposes hard alcohol can be used for. I would expect, and like to see, a similar progression used in DayZ, once player communities spring up.

This is all conjecture, mind you. An educated guess,if you will.

ammunition is the best currency imo.

It really isn't. No means of testing the quality, except for using it, which means you would be literally burning your money. Gunpowder, on the other hand....

Also, what if they don't have ammunition in your caliber? At least with loose gunpowder, you can load your own. Same with lead.

I think this is the dumbest idea ever.  Honestly I think the idiocy bug has been circulating around the dayz community as well as the developers with half the crap they want to do.  This may be harsh but its my opinion.  Meh.

I think this is the dumbest idea ever.  Honestly I think the idiocy bug has been circulating around the dayz community as well as the developers with half the crap they want to do.  This may be harsh but its my opinion.  Meh.

Try saying why you don't think it's a good idea in a more constructive manner and maybe myself and others will take your post more seriously as well

• Like 1

There already is a player controlled currency, every item in the game that has any use.

We already have ingame currency, its called food/water/ammo/weapons/etc......

EDIT:

Damn you DarkwaveDomina ;)

This something has trade value to you if you need it if it helps you survive or increases your quality of life be it food water weapons warm cloths batteries etc.

An artificial currency say like fall outs bottle caps has no place in the early stages of an apoc perhaps when some form of society rises there would be a currency but at dayz stand point your in the survive mode so if i cant eat it drink it stay warm with it protect myself with it why on earth would i want it at these early stages of apoc gold diamonds etc would be worthless crap to all but the stupid... 99% of the population has died ( or infected ) and are now trying to kill you in that situation id say it be a long time before you could walk into a store and buy something with currency which is a goverment controlled form of value there is no goverment anymore there is no currency except bartering for things of worth for things of worth..

Edited by SoulFirez

It really isn't. No means of testing the quality, except for using it, which means you would be literally burning your money. Gunpowder, on the other hand....

Also, what if they don't have ammunition in your caliber? At least with loose gunpowder, you can load your own. Same with lead.

yes in real life it would not be a good option, however this is a vidoegame and none of the drawbacks you describe apply

Trading or currency is done by kos.

This is why we need safe trading place where you cant kill another player or pve servers

Crafting items would come in handy, say you need spare tyre and cant find it anywhere, you would trade some of your bullets for it. Atm all would happen is a bullet to the head, no trading

Edited by ld-airgrafix