chris90

It´s time to retire for DayZ

I share Op sentiments, especially over network performance. Dayz is a high (relatively) stakes game its main appeal, is knowing that kill or be killed has a cost that is more than just 10 second respawn timer and a K/D. So when as a player I am cheated out of a life or a kill due to desync or a glitch you feel it more. Granted it is an alpha and you can expect this to happen more. However, with regards desync the number of occasions where I felt cheated due to desync ( that is not related to my own connection ) in Arma 2 (mod) and Wastelands on A3 its enough for me to have serious concerns regarding SA.

Based on existing products based on the same or very similar technology I fearful that SA will continue to show the same issues. My biggest hope is that this team actually tightens up the networking code in SA and Arma 3 and new products are the better for it. 

Currently I'm sitting at 70:30 for SA not improving the desync significantly, I will revise that later in the year, hopefully better.

Did you know Star Citizen has over 219 people working on the game?  Is might be over 230 now.   So good question.  Why such a small DayZ team for a game that is immensely popular on 3 continents if you count Australia?

I don't know why we keep discussing the same stufff over and over again. As said multiple times before, you can't compare the dev team of a game that is being build from scratch (Star Citizen) to a game that is heavily based on an existing engine (SA). Add to that, that once released, SC will have microtransactions which will continue to generate revenue unlike SA. So no it isn't a good question, it is a stupid question which you are asking without thinking.

Edited by weedmasta

But everyone time I talk about slow development or hackers..... I get fucking flamed like a little bitch.  So everything you just said will be ignored by 99% of the people here.   Sorry you wasted so much time writing a truthful and honest post that spells out how doomed this game is.  Mark my words.   Bohemia and Dean are shopping the title around and have no intention of actually finishing the game or fixing the core.

Mark my words I swear your're imprudent.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Also, in a zombie apocalypse game why have they not started developing zombie ai.

They hired 25 more people into BI to do the AI for zombies and animals.  Explain to me how that isn't development?  Catering to the current state of the game would be pointless.

Its best to be treated like a sandbox at the moment.  Fuck around and help find bugs so devs cant make the game better.

Environmental artists will most likely appreciate clipping and floating map objects.

I don't know why we keep discussing the same stufff over and over again. As said multiple times before, you can't compare the dev team of a game that is being build from scratch (Star Citizen) to a game that is heavily based on an existing engine (SA). Add to that, that once released, SC will have microtransactions which will continue to generate revenue unlike SA. So no it isn't a good question, it is a stupid question which you are asking without thinking.

You are a little ill-informed there.  BI has many programmers working across different games for them.  They are fans as dayZ as well, and working hard to make sure we have a great game.

I just quote Dean Hall on this one:

so...well...Start of the Alpha in January 2017? At the same time, when Arma 4 comes out and the same question with different numbers would occur? IF anybody would be interested in DayZ still?

And cashgrab...that's such a thing to say...sure, BI is a company and wants to make money, like every company out there...so every game would be a cashgrab by that definition. The question is: Did you get your moneys worth already because you played and had fun? Yes? No cashgrab. And thinking, that the game is still in development and you may have a lot more time to spend with it and fun, you will even have a better revenue....

Edit:

They have. They have an entire team working on it right now...

-> look here:  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/

The only cashgrab was not making a kickstarter.  Releasing as alpha helped fund the game, and make BI take it seriously.  With all of BI's toys and talent at DayZ's disposal, expect a very beautiful game.  Its not just dean.  BI believes DayZ can be a great game and fully support it.

Hell.  Even arma 3 has gotten stuff from DayZ now.

Edited by Gorvi

Those guys who says alpha will probably commit a suicide at beta launch when 5%of the bugs will be fixed.

Bugs are fun. Everytime I die by going down the firestation's stairs with fully customized m4 and a mosin, food and drink supply for 4 months and shitload of ammo I laugh like theres no tommorow.

What about the ladder-bug in the firestation that served us from Day 1 of ArmA 2's release?

What about the zombies that attack you once while you're actually get attacked twice in the same animation?

When a DayZ server restarts and the database decides to take you 3 kilometers back?

When a server with 39/40 players in it is full, no matter how many times you refresh.

And I ain't even talking about glitched zombie sounds when the server has more than 10 players?

You guys really need to take it easy. Bugs are everywhere and that's what fun about this game. Its PvP(layers) PvE(nvironment) and PvB(ugs).

That's the whole point - you never know what's next.

The bug reports section should be renamed to DayZ funny stories and the suggestions section should be renamed to science fiction stories.

Welcome to Real Virtuality game engine. The only engine with an unnamed scipting language (they just literally called the scripting language "scripting language" LOL)

Note: if you actually take what I just wrote seriously you need a doctor.

Edited by StanleyWasHappy
  • Like 1

I really can't understand how people seem to think that the developers are holding back and just being lazy. The reason this is taking a long time is because they have been nice enough to let us into the alpha way before any AAA titles would call it "alpha". Just remember how long it took BF to develop BF3 after BF2 and the Bad Company spin-offs? And BF4, a perfect example of a game that was rushed (and also that is essentially just BF3 premium bundled into 1 game :P ). This time span is NORMAL based on the time they've been working on the game and how long it should realistically take in total. Come back later when the thing is finished. Don't complain when you've been gifted with SUPER-early access.

Edited by tatchell

You are a little ill-informed there.  BI has many programmers working across different games for them.  They are fans as dayZ as well, and working hard to make sure we have a great game.

Did you even read what I wrote? That has nothing to do with what I said.

No sorry the engine is god awful full stop. You need tony starkes Jarvis computer to run the game on high. Coop maybe and that's all they focus on . Ive never understood Bohemia they seem hell bent on appealing to a niche select few and not realizing a games full potential. Arma 4 will be the same to , CPU bottle necking GPU performance , poor graphical optimization etc etc.

Arma 4 fix , max GPU render ahead 0 bla bla bla  , you have to make the game loo like shit just to be able to aim right. its a disgrace.

The engine is not awfull at all. It does need some optimazation but considering how much the engine is rendering its doing a great job. You seem to think that they wont optimize the game?.

You should probably fix your computer, im playing on low settings on a shitty 3 gear old laptop with a 256 MB graphic card

Yes exactly, Start citizen was able to fund that team with its very successful multi-million dollar alpha sales. oh wait.... 

Did you even read what I wrote? That has nothing to do with what I said.

I ment to reply to rick.  sorry man.  Next bowls on me.

• Like 1

Hello Guys.

i enjoyed DayZ a lot, almost 400h playtime. 

The Genre "Hardcore-Survival" is a great idea and DayZ did a good job showing this to other people.

But i think DayZ is not the way to go, it cant realize all the potential of this Genre.

The main reason for this is obviously the engine. When they said they are working on an own engine i thought yeah thats great. But its almost the same engine like Arma 2 and Arma 3. Lets be honest here, this engine cant handle "MMO´s".

All this 3 Games have the same issues.

for example: 

1. go Third-Person and pick a weapon, now you can look throw walls by using Q and E.

2. Fists up, look at the ground and walk into a building. Now use "alt" to look throw the wall.

3. Running constantly against a wall leads to desync between client and server. Your character-position for the server is 5 meter behind the wall, yours is in front of the wall.

4. Desync is a huge issue in general. You never know where the hitbox of someone is and shots are so crazy delayed that you and your enemy kill each other most of the time.

5. Hacker all over the Servers.

They wanna go beta at the end of the year and the beta lasts for another year. So the game should be "finished" early 2016.

That takes to much time and in my opinion it is not worth working on the game for so long because it uses this clunky engine.

DayZ did some mistakes:

- still no cars, okay thats maybe a bad example. But not even a bike yet ? come on.

- the spawn points. Balota -> Electro -> Berezino .. what is next ? not a smart move IMO.

- suicide to get better spawns was one of the biggest problems.

- in some ways you guys made it way to realistic. dont forget that this is a game. Dont trade gameplay for realism, bad choice.

- you guys adding so much stuff but don't fix things that makes it unplayable. 

Yeah DayZ is still Alpha and Alpha is the stage to throw stuff in. Thats how it was 10 years ago.

Maybe you should rethink your view of alpha stage if you want people to play your game.

And yes. Its still Alpha -> thats the Problem. It just takes to long.

Games like H1Z1 will outshine DayZ. 

Bohemia Interactive should try to get rid of this clunky engine.

You will never be able to handle MMO or FPS with this.

So Thanks again to DayZ for showing how awesome this Genre is. I had a lot of fun.

But i dont see the point to continue the work on DayZ in consideration of the competition.

Safe your time, Safe your money.

There are many things that I could say in response here but I would come off as a "dumbassed blind fanboy" not an informed gamer that understands what is and what is not. I will just say... Seeya and maybe try to comprehend your purchases in the future.

Hello Guys.

i enjoyed DayZ a lot, almost 400h playtime. 

The Genre "Hardcore-Survival" is a great idea and DayZ did a good job showing this to other people.

But i think DayZ is not the way to go, it cant realize all the potential of this Genre.

The main reason for this is obviously the engine. When they said they are working on an own engine i thought yeah thats great. But its almost the same engine like Arma 2 and Arma 3. Lets be honest here, this engine cant handle "MMO´s".

All this 3 Games have the same issues.

for example: 

1. go Third-Person and pick a weapon, now you can look throw walls by using Q and E.

2. Fists up, look at the ground and walk into a building. Now use "alt" to look throw the wall.

3. Running constantly against a wall leads to desync between client and server. Your character-position for the server is 5 meter behind the wall, yours is in front of the wall.

4. Desync is a huge issue in general. You never know where the hitbox of someone is and shots are so crazy delayed that you and your enemy kill each other most of the time.

5. Hacker all over the Servers.

They wanna go beta at the end of the year and the beta lasts for another year. So the game should be "finished" early 2016.

That takes to much time and in my opinion it is not worth working on the game for so long because it uses this clunky engine.

DayZ did some mistakes:

- still no cars, okay thats maybe a bad example. But not even a bike yet ? come on.

- the spawn points. Balota -> Electro -> Berezino .. what is next ? not a smart move IMO.

- suicide to get better spawns was one of the biggest problems.

- in some ways you guys made it way to realistic. dont forget that this is a game. Dont trade gameplay for realism, bad choice.

- you guys adding so much stuff but don't fix things that makes it unplayable. 

Yeah DayZ is still Alpha and Alpha is the stage to throw stuff in. Thats how it was 10 years ago.

Maybe you should rethink your view of alpha stage if you want people to play your game.

And yes. Its still Alpha -> thats the Problem. It just takes to long.

Games like H1Z1 will outshine DayZ. 

Bohemia Interactive should try to get rid of this clunky engine.

You will never be able to handle MMO or FPS with this.

So Thanks again to DayZ for showing how awesome this Genre is. I had a lot of fun.

But i dont see the point to continue the work on DayZ in consideration of the competition.

Safe your time, Safe your money.

The second week of World Of Warcrafts beta I wrote a script to farm herbs...guess what....., TODAY it still works and is not detectable by warden. What I am trying to say is... This happens in MMO's It is a damn shame and I wish I hadn't have been a "cheater" back then but really  I was just a bored kid. It is IMPOSSIBLE to prevent "hacking" 100% but It is possible to make a better detection system. Battle eye needs to be upgraded about 5 gigs.

The discussions now occurring in this topic are the same discussions that other topics are designated for. This topic has had its time.

Locked.

• Like 1