HedonismBot

Is the game basically over once you have piles of loot?

So you have the best rifle, the best handgun and all the tools. You have piles and piles of food, soda, and meds stashed at several camp sites, and you've circumnavigated the entire map 100 times.

What keeps you playing at that point? Once DayZ is finished will it be the addition of new maps that keep people playing?

It's only over when you think it's over...

Sandboxes are usually limited by the user's imagination.

I dont get it,people play CS and just run around racking kills over and over.Thats a great game judging from the fanbase.Your bored then turn DayZ into a deathmatch.Only thing is you have to eat and drink and you can die which really sucks.Plus it has infected everywhere you go and the atmosphere that they bring.Day night cycles etc etc

...after you troll around. While in fact anyone is doing it already, until something new comes out (like a new weapon.. a new vehicle... new challenges..). Forget the zeds, they are just a side dish unfortunately: they are the "cool" element for the first couple of days, then you'll forget em as soon you'll start to PvP.

Start hunting players. And don't worry, you will die and lose the contents of your tents eventually, so then you will get to collect it all over again.

Find a bike and ride around on NW Airfield ringing the bell (I did that once and a guy in a bus joined in. Was real fun ;) ).

i have to say the fire fights in north west airfield are what keep me interested constantly :P

This is the problem with sandbox games. Since there's no objectives, they usually boil down to simple PK'ing until you're completely bored. This is the main reason why I've been saying they'd better add a few new maps to this game or they may risk people being bored before it ever gets to beta.

So you have the best rifle' date=' the best handgun and all the tools. You have piles and piles of food, soda, and meds stashed at several camp sites, and you've circumnavigated the entire map 100 times.

What keeps you playing at that point? Once DayZ is finished will it be the addition of new maps that keep people playing?

[/quote']

Hopefully new maps. Yes. I do hope they add more ACTUALY content such as teamwork persistence like towns.

Arma 3 will have all enterable buildings.

All in all, im at 300 hours and still not bored. I spent the last 150 just hunting people though. I'm getting pretty damned good.

don't forget about finding those mountain dew's people!

New maps are NOT going to happen. It takes a lot of work to build ARMA islands and even if it didn't, I doubt very much that new islands would add anything at all to the game.

This thread is just more evidence that people don't really get the point of the game. It's about survival. No matter what gear or how much of it you have, you continue to play to see how long you can survive. If you think you've seen/owned all that the game has to offer, then you quit the game and let those that still enjoy it, play it in peace.

New maps are NOT going to happen. It takes a lot of work to build ARMA islands and even if it didn't' date=' I doubt very much that new islands would add anything at all to the game.

This thread is just more evidence that people don't really get the point of the game. It's about survival. No matter what gear or how much of it you have, you continue to play to see how long you can survive. If you think you've seen/owned all that the game has to offer, then you quit the game and let those that still enjoy it, play it in peace.

[/quote']

I think that's a bit harsh way of saying it? While I agree the point is to survive, and it's v fun doing so even if you do feel like you have it covered for the moment it would certainly not be a negative thing to further develop the concept with, as mentioned above, town building or some sort of higher gameplay possibilities, would it?

The great thing about a sandbox is that it allows users to build sandcastles as big or small, round or square as they please! :)

Create your own fun. We're at the moment that our group has enough stuff, plenty of vehicles and we're all quite geared out. Now we could do endless raids at NW to get NVGs, but we'll probably end up doing different things. Might go for a sniping session in Elektro tomorrow. Might go for a Meat-giveaway the day after tomorrow. Might fix a bus and taxi people everywhere... You could just search for some players and track their group just for the hell of it.

Rockets vision was to get people out of their comfort zones. You have reached a comfort zone, so wait until a new patch throws you off balance again. Until then you can set up an ambush on one of the roads, or go bird hunting, or play night only, or try to slay 3000 zeds with a crowbar. Set some goal thats uncomforting and go for it.

The only functional end-game is PvP / PK. Or possibly hiding in the forests trying to stay alive to show up on the longest survivor leader board but that is hella boring, and still really PvP because that's the only challenge there too.

If you have an imagination, and approach this game as more of a tabletop rpg that happens to have guns in it, rather than a shooter with zombies, then when you run out of objectives, it's due to a lack of imagination on your part. It would be awesome if there were more options for creating structures and defending forts, but if you're not imaginative, you'd still just wind up building each thing once and then find yourself in the same position again.

If you think the point of this game is collecting all the gear and racking up kills, then you will get bored pretty quickly.

The answer to your question is yes, but it depends on how you got to the point you are at. Unfortunately right now, there is no real "endgame" content, and to all those telling him the point of the game is to survive, once you have all the loot/food/drink, you can literally live indefinitely in the woods with little to no issues.

This is why the supposed hacked in AI events were so popular, they added something else to do in the game. Hopefully some more content is added in a patch or two. But until then, you have to just keep pvping until you die, and start over again.

Heck, all the end-game loot is primarily for killing players thanks to it being inherited from Arma-II. Not much point in getting all those rare guns if you are not going to shoot someone with it.

Too many people are playing this like an MMO. I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong, but if you are playing this game for the sole purpose of collecting cool equipment, the game isn't going to have much longevity for you. There's simply not that much item variety in the mod and equipment value is subjective anyway.

Consider the equipment you have as a tool to accomplish other goals, and you will probably have a more varied and interesting gameplay experience.

Hunt other players, help other players, protect them, try to make contacts and group up, secure an area and charge players a toll to pass or simply kill anyone who trys to get through. The thing about this mod is that it doesn't offer any defined goals other than survival. You're going to get out of it what you put in.

Edit: Also, there is not "end game loot" in this mod. You can kill someone with an Enfield with as much efficiency as with an M107. With planning and skill, a group of well coordinated players with handguns can take out a larger, unprepared group with assault rifles and machine guns. It's possible to get an M4 CCO within 10 minutes of spawning with little resistance if you hit deerstands.

i have to say the fire fights in north west airfield are what keep me interested constantly :P

That's the thing, there is alot of complaining about the PKing but the thing is, there is a huge fun factor to it. DayZ is in an Alpha state so its no where near finished but the ARMA combat mechanics are still there in full and if you ask me, they are fucking fun. So of course there are some people that look for that.

That's why I tell anyone who just got the game for DayZ and never got to experience the normal game with a decent group is really missing out. Even jumping in to a public Domination server is a fucking blast if you have some decent folk.

Note: Don't turn this into a arguement about why people are killing, blah blah, ruining my game, blah blah. Because I don't care to be honest. Im just pointing out that the core combat mechanics are fun.

If you have an imagination' date=' and approach this game as more of a tabletop rpg that happens to have guns in it, rather than a shooter with zombies, then when you run out of objectives, it's due to a lack of imagination on your part. It would be awesome if there were more options for creating structures and defending forts, but if you're not imaginative, you'd still just wind up building each thing once and then find yourself in the same position again.

If you think the point of this game is collecting all the gear and racking up kills, then you will get bored pretty quickly.

[/quote']

This. Sandbox games are what you make them. Gotta love it.