Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Indication of which doors can and cannot be opened.

So this is an issue that is prevalent through a lot of videogames, and that is that it's not always clear which doors can be opened. If I go into a house, the doors that can be opened and the ones that exist as decoration look the same.

So I propose that all doors that cannot be opened have something that clearly shows it - something like a load of wooden boards as though somebody tried to block the door from the outside, or a big padlock. Anything that indicates that the door cannot be opened. I'm tired of staring at doors and rolling the mouse wheel, not knowing if I'm not getting the option to open a door because of lag, or because I'm not looking at the door properly or if it's just because the door isn't real.

Of course what I'd really like to see is all buildings being fully explorable, but I don't know how viable that'd be in terms of performance and the time it'd take to model the interiors of, like, 60 different building models.

• Like 5

I'm for the idea, you could even go as simple as a red spray painted X, as a do not enter marker. :beans:

So this is an issue that is prevalent through a lot of videogames, and that is that it's not always clear which doors can be opened. If I go into a house, the doors that can be opened and the ones that exist as decoration look the same.

They don't. Doors you can't enter don't seem to be having any knobs.

• Like 3

^^This

Its very very easy to distinguish them from one another tbh :)

They have knobs, but they're not 3D modelled.

• Like 2

On some doors, yes. There are several doors that cannot be opened that still have the doorknobs modeled. There are also doors that can be opened that don't have doorknobs. It's inconsistent.

Plus, you don't get the indication, right in front of your face, that you can open it

Other times you get a notification to open a door that is on the floor below.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

Rocket has mentioned in the past that they want to board up the unenterable doors, seems like the easiest way to indicate which rooms you can go in.

• Like 2

All doors/windows should be interactive (open or break) even if there is just an empty room behind. It's a question of immersion more significant then most other here discussed.

...Once they solve the zs pathfinding issues, it would be cool to have loads of zs poring out of boarded up rooms, once broken into...

Edited by Wisper

Some doors can't be opened in the real world and you need to "check" them to see if you could. So why should the game be any different, why do you need to be spoon feed this information?

And if you haven't worked out now what doors can be and what doors can't be open....

I feel bad for son, I got 99 doors but I can't open one..

• Like 1

Some doors can't be opened in the real world and you need to "check" them to see if you could. So why should the game be any different, why do you need to be spoon feed this information?

And if you haven't worked out now what doors can be and what doors can't be open....

I feel bad for son, I got 99 doors but I can't open one..

I've got a good idea of which doors can be opened. Generally speaking I know which doors to ignore, but sometimes they catch me out, especially in buildings I don't usually visit.

And it's not necessarily just to my benefit, but for those who are newer to the game. Plus people like to know clearly what areas they can and cannot enter. It's good game design to clearly distinguish between facades and areas of the level that you can actually interact with. Would you be happy if there was, say, a rifle in a gun case that you couldn't pick up that was indistinguishable from guns that you can actually use? How about a supermarket shelf with decorative tins of food?

Also, this is the zombie apocalypse. If I have a fireaxe and I come across a locked wooden door what do you think I'm going to do? If a door is boarded up or, as Steak and Potatoes suggested, a door has a big red X on it, I'll at least have a logical reason not to try and open it.

I've got a good idea of which doors can be opened. Generally speaking I know which doors to ignore, but sometimes they catch me out, especially in buildings I don't usually visit.

So where is problem? You walk up to a door oh can't open that one.... move along.

And it's not necessarily just to my benefit, but for those who are newer to the game.

They will work it out just like we did again where is the problem?

Plus people like to know clearly what areas they can and cannot enter. It's good game design to clearly distinguish between facades and areas of the level that you can actually interact with. 

Yes people need to be spoon feed every little piece of information and that is exactly why the term "on rails" is so prevalent in gaming now days. Some people can't handle exploring and heaven forbid making their own decisions, so let make them all for them. That is exactly the problem with "gaming" today.

I am going to tell you something and it may shock you to your core, so please don't read on if you think you can't handle my message...

Last warning.......

It's ok to make mistakes. It's ok to walk up to do a door and not be a functioning one.

Would you be happy if there was, say, a rifle in a gun case that you couldn't pick up that was indistinguishable from guns that you can actually use? 

FIne, it happens in almost every game I have ever played, it happened in the mod and it will happen in this. It creates atmosphere and sets the scene for environment.

Also, this is the zombie apocalypse. If I have a fireaxe and I come across a locked wooden door what do you think I'm going to do? If a door is boarded up or, as Steak and Potatoes suggested, a door has a big red X on it,

And a steel one?

If your suggestion was Please let us open every door, I wouldn't even be commenting here because that would be a valid suggestion but getting "help" to identify which doors do and which doors don't is just extending the negative aspects of gaming culture. It is unnecessary and serves no purpose but to put "training wheels" on a game that is designed to be harsh and unforgiving.

I'll at least have a logical reason not to try and open it.

No you should want to try every door, that is exciting aspect of exploration. I wish I could still have that but I have played it way too much and I now know it like the back of my hand which ruins my experience. I would love it if it was completely random and on server restart all the doors would be mixed up.

Don't ruin other peoples immersion just because you want your game on rails. 

i like it ,beans for you  :beans:

Don't ruin other peoples immersion just because you want your game on rails. 

You're getting very defensive.

I suppose you're an advocate for invisible walls as well?

My immersion is 'ruined' when there's a door that can't be opened when it clearly should be openable one way or another.

And a steel one?

I said a wooden one.

FIne, it happens in almost every game I have ever played, it happened in the mod and it will happen in this. It creates atmosphere and sets the scene for environment.

No, if there's a gun model then I expect to be able to pick it up and use it. If I'm being hunted by bandits I'm not going to ignore a weapon because it's an essential part of the feng shui.

If your suggestion was Please let us open every door, I wouldn't even be commenting here because that would be a valid suggestion 

That's part of the original post. I covered it, but I wasn't sure if it was a viable option due to the performance issues and the extra interior modelling work it would require.

No you should want to try every door, that is exciting aspect of exploration. I wish I could still have that but I have played it way too much and I now know it like the back of my hand which ruins my experience. I would love it if it was completely random and on server restart all the doors would be mixed up.

I agree, but the engine is clunky as hell. I've already covered this by saying that sometimes lag or just looking on the wrong spot on the door can lead you to believe that the door cannot be opened. Maybe that's explainable in-game by saying your character just had a stroke, but I don't see that as okay. Having all doors openable and random on restart is a suggestion I've considered making in the past, but I realised that it could cause issues if someone were to, say, spawn inside a locked room. It's definitely an area that warrants discussion.

I am going to tell you something and it may shock you to your core, so please don't read on if you think you can't handle my message...

Last warning.......

It's ok to make mistakes. It's ok to walk up to do a door and not be a functioning one.

Don't be a bitch.

I understand the point you're arguing from, and to a point I even agree with it - but in my opinion the current state of the game warrants a clearer indication of which areas you can access and which ones you can't. If, in the future, all doors could be opened I'd welcome that with open arms. I made this suggestion as a compromise.

NexVentor, if there is a steel door I cannot open, my first idea is that it protects something valuable. Something that belongs in my inventory. If it is a wooden/weaker door... it shouldn't taunt me by remaining closed. Where is my axe?

If the locked door is the designer team's limit, it either shouldn't be there at all or said designers should go the extra mile and open it ;)

You're getting very defensive.

Don't be a bitch.

Lol, ok son. I don't communicate with children. If you can't have a discussion without resorting to childish remarks, ignoring the real questions, then welcome to ignore list.

NexVentor, if there is a steel door I cannot open, my first idea is that it protects something valuable. Something that belongs in my inventory. If it is a wooden/weaker door... it shouldn't taunt me by remaining closed. Where is my axe?

If the locked door is the designer team's limit, it either shouldn't be there at all or said designers should go the extra mile and open it ;)

Lol, Agreed, I would think the same. However we have to maturely acknowledge that not everything is possible by the devs, agreed? They can only do so much and if you have played the mod then you will know they have done a metric shit tonne of work to get almost every building enterable.

So my thought process is this...

1) Does the current situation effect my immersion/gameplay? - NO

2) Does the proposed "fix" effect my immersion/gameplay - YES, Why because it reminds me of games that are on rails and have big red arrow pointing to the only way out saying ---> Stupid people this way

3) Is there a better alternative? - YES, So suggest that to the Dev's instead. 

If you play the game for more than a day, it's quite easy to learn the buildings ._.

Lol, ok son. I don't communicate with children. If you can't have a discussion without resorting to childish remarks, ignoring the real questions, then welcome to ignore list.

How about you don't treat people like they're idiots? Be nice and we'll be fine and dandy.

So my thought process is this...

1) Does the current situation effect my immersion/gameplay? - NO

2) Does the proposed "fix" effect my immersion/gameplay - YES, Why because it reminds me of games that are on rails and have big red arrow pointing to the only way out saying ---> Stupid people this way

3) Is there a better alternative? - YES, So suggest that to the Dev's instead. 

And my thought process is this...

1) Does the current situation affect my immersion/gameplay? - YES, to an extent

2) Does the proposed solution affect my immersion/gameplay? - YES, because it improves immersion by giving an in-game reason as to why you can't access a room

3) is there a better alternative? - YES, but it may not be viable. We've covered this.

Make all doors open pls.

Love your work, agreed. 

All doors are going to be able to be opened soon. As for indicators, most doors that can be opened, have a detailed door knob that sticks out. Most.