blunce

How Long Should a Day Last? (Hardcore)

Hardcore Day & Night Cycle  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How long should a full 24 hours in DayZ take in real time?

• Realistic day & night cycle (24 hours)
    • Half a day (12 hours)
    • Quarter of a day (6 hours)
    • It's too early at this point in development to determine.
    • A full day should be every 3 hours.

I would like to have either the 6 hour or 12 hour day/night cycle, but firstly that cheap trick to see at night needs to be fixed. The only reason I generally try to avert having to play during the night is those pricks with gamma or whatever option turned all the way up so they have way better vision. Night time often makes for some damn good gameplay if everyone is playing fair and square.

What does it matter? People will still flock to the 24/7 day only servers just like in the mod. Majority of the good servers were empty because players couldn't handle playing a hard game.

so does accelerated time mean accelerated metabolism as well then?

It does unless you want to have it so it takes 3 days to die of thirst and a month to die of hunger.

I don't see why people want a 24 hour day/night cycle.  Who plays this for days straight?

so does accelerated time mean accelerated metabolism as well then?

Not necessarily. If you were to change that from 24 hours to 3 hours it would mean you would need food 8 times faster, quite possibly meaning you starve within minutes.

As far as I know it's being measured in distance (and speed in upcoming builds).

• Like 1

Less than 24 hours... that is one example of "realism" that I couldn't care less about. Seriously? I don't get why it's so important to people. Are they playing 24-hour sessions or something?

The Reddit idea of 19.5 hours seemed just fine to me. Each time you play would be different.

JHi3sAq.png

I've been on about having an odd amount of hours in a day since I started playing the mod so you rarely sync real world time with ingame time and would almost always be playing at different times. Any odd hours will work it just comes down to how much you want to alter the flow.

11/11.5hrs in a day for 2~x game time while still forcing an alternate ingame time for each session.

13/13.5hrs in a day for 1.75~x accelerated game time

15/15.5hrs in a day for 1.5~x accelerated game time

19/19.5hrs in a day for 1.25~x accelerated game time

23/23.5hrs in a day for near real time

The affects of using an odd number of hours in a day can be used to accelerate or decelerate time to any threshold and still give a shifting playtime. Anytime you use an even number you'll just shorten or lengthen the day but still play at the same time ingame for each session. Results would vary depending on server restarts but once their hammered out and only need one restart a day you'd rarely play at the same time ingame.

You'll still always have some servers running 24/7 daytime but I'm sure once gamma/night/lighting and all that get some work done you'll see some 24/7 nightime servers too. Shifting game time to an odd hour would give servers the ability to accelerate or decelerate ingame time while still severing it from real world time.

Im all about the reddit example of 19.5 hours gews posted. That way its pretty darn realistic without screwing over people who can only play at the same time of day every week.

3 hours day 2 night, but I voted to early in development to tell. Anything that is not real time based, I dont want to have to play in different servers to experience the environment change. the 19.5 looks promising but there is a lot of time between change and all of your game time would be occupied by the same situation every day. It would just be a different situation every session, instead of an evolving situation.

If you have to eat every 5 minutes because you are hungry, the day and night cycle should be accelerated as well.

The only thing that needs fixing is the fear that players have playing in the night. You can add tons of light sources you can use in game yet everybody wants night vision goggles like everybody owns one because they don't have the balls to "expose" themselves to the "enemy" ( < which enemy? ) The bug that walls don't reflect light can easily be fixed, not that wall reflects light but at least lights your surroundings.

I strongly disagree. Plenty of people, myself included, enjoyed playing at night in the mod because there was a lot of stuff to play with, not just NVGs (which people did often use purely as a crutch) but also flares and functional flashlights. Currently we get one useful flashlight that can't be used with a weapon.

As it stands right now the game almost encourages players to just say "fuck it" and increase their gamma, because there is nothing special about playing at night other than it being dark. I don't even care to consider it until, at the very least, weapon flashlights get a hotkey.

"If you build it they will come", I argue that if we actually had features that made playing at night remotely interesting people would do it. I played on plenty of night servers in the mod, I haven't even seen a single one in my reasonable ping-zone yet because they all restart every two hours when it's light.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

Less than 24 hours... that is one example of "realism" that I couldn't care less about. Seriously? I don't get why it's so important to people. Are they playing 24-hour sessions or something?

The Reddit idea of 19.5 hours seemed just fine to me. Each time you play would be different.

JHi3sAq.png

My personal favorite. I don't want to be able to clock the sun with a radar gun.

I strongly disagree. Plenty of people, myself included, enjoyed playing at night in the mod because there was a lot of stuff to play with, not just NVGs (which people did often use purely as a crutch) but also flares and functional flashlights. Currently we get one useful flashlight that can't be used with a weapon.

As it stands right now the game almost encourages players to just say "fuck it" and increase their gamma, because there is nothing special about playing at night other than it being dark. I don't even care to consider it until, at the very least, weapon flashlights get a hotkey.

"If you build it they will come", I argue that if we actually had features that made playing at night remotely interesting people would do it. I played on plenty of night servers in the mod, I haven't even seen a single one in my reasonable ping-zone yet because they all restart every two hours when it's light.

It depends on the individual/group mentality of course. But judging from the rant about nighttime in the mod and SA i am sure it will still be the same even if they made a 1:1 copy of the mod on the "new" engine and told players this is the SA. People will still want nvgs because this is the only way they can keep their old ways of KoSing instead of playing a survival game, nobody would even make a fire to warm up they would rather freeze to death even if their virtual life depended on it before creating a light source players can target because of the KoS mentality. It's not "Oh look another group has made a campfire, let's ask if we can join them, safety in numbers." it's "Oh look a campfire, let's kill everyone there". When we were in a group one or two had nvgs but the others didn't and when we didn't have any nvgs we relied on players who had weapons with flashlights or some players volunteered to be the guys swinging a flashlight instead of a secondary lighting up zeds or other players ( like the poor guy who attacked our group of 15 in the middle of the night when we were using red chemsticks to mark eachother to avoid FF lol ). Nobody even thought of increasing gamma back then...

1.8.x is so much different than the mod i played a long time ago before taking a longer break ( around the time when the AS50 became popular etc. ). It really is fun to play from dusk til dawn ( without tinkering with the gamma settings ) and i got so used to it i really feel uncomfortable playing during daytime.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

24hrs.

hardcore is the realistic mode, right?

2 hours of day, one hour of night.

That would be the best, to the people who are saying a full 24 hour day night cycle that just really would not work. We want to eleminate the constant day servers not encourage them, that is what full cycles will do.

Nothing of the listed options. Someone (maybe Dean himself, can't remember) suggested cycles of about 19 hours. This way would make it more random, if you play the same time RL on different days you would get different in-game times.

I cannot play for hours but I really want to experience a day and night cycle. :)

I agree, I'm currently sick of having my play session remain the same time, but with the realistic (24hr) cycle I would never be able to experience mornings, or even mid afternoon for that matter and mainly only able to play at dusk or night time. The 19.5 cycle seems like it would work well, giving everyone a variety and changing it up.

• Like 1

I agree, I'm currently sick of having my play session remain the same time, but with the realistic (24hr) cycle I would never be able to experience mornings, or even mid afternoon for that matter and mainly only able to play at dusk or night time. The 19.5 cycle seems like it would work well, giving everyone a variety and changing it up.

If you look back a page at my post you can see that you can also still have accelerated time on servers for people who want shorter days but still end up with a shifting playtime. It's really all about using odd hours to tear game time away from real time and place it in it's own timezone. Nothing but positives all around by making the shift.