napalmdog

Random starting gear...

I just had a notion to make your respawning a little more interesting when you're killed. Basically in the world of DayZ we have a zombie apocalypse where we were caught with our pants down. Why shouldn't the clothes we wear and the few paltry things we start off with be moderately random?

I'm thinking like an apple, a jacket or hat, a soda, etc. Something that would make the moment you come in a surprise and make you take moment to ascertain your position.

Thoughts?

• Like 12

I just had a notion to make your respawning a little more interesting when you're killed. Basically in the world of DayZ we have a zombie apocalypse where we were caught with our pants down. Why shouldn't the clothes we wear and the few paltry things we start off with be moderately random?

I'm thinking like an apple, a jacket or hat, a soda, etc. Something that would make the moment you come in a surprise and make you take moment to ascertain your position.

Thoughts?

The pain of spawning with tactical bacon and having no means of eating its content.

OH THE HUMANITY!

• Like 3

Agreed! In my opinion fresh spawns should get something that makes them think twice on killing themselfs for Elektrospawn :D

• Like 2

Agreed! In my opinion fresh spawns should get something that makes them think twice on killing themselfs for Elektrospawn :D

but not a gun, in my opinion, I would most likely "throw" the damn thing into the water to have a harder experience.

But I would not be opposed to the idea of having melee weapons and tools given as a starting item.

• Like 3

but not a gun, in my opinion, I would most likely "throw" the damn thing into the water to have a harder experience.

But I would not be opposed to the idea of having melee weapons and tools given as a starting item.

Yea of course no guns :D it would ruin everything.

• Like 1

I could see a knife or maybe even an axe as a player might have been out collecting firewood, sure!

• Like 1

I was going to suggest something like this.

Alternative start for Skyrim is a good example.

Pick your background and get clothing related to it.  A paramedic, a business woman, gas station attendant, etc.

I was going to suggest something like this.

Alternative start for Skyrim is a good example.

Pick your background and get clothing related to it.  A paramedic, a business woman, gas station attendant, etc.

The downside I see to this (someone else said this in another post) is that people will find the perfect background and then you will see only that background. 

The downside I see to this (someone else said this in another post) is that people will find the perfect background and then you will see only that background. 

Yes, that would bugger it up. I don't think it needs be that complex anyways...

The idea is, there is no 'perfect" background.  I only said clothing.  Shoes, shirt, pants.  Possibly a basic jacket, hat, and/or glasses if that is something devs feel all players should spawn with.

Right now, players have perfect character creation if they choose a dark skinned woman wearing earthtones for their starting clothing.

Just random very basic stuff, that are more or less just visual. Nothing that makes another spawn much different than the other. Even the variety of looks would bring more to it.

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 2

The idea is, there is no 'perfect" background.  I only said clothing.  Shoes, shirt, pants.  Possibly a basic jacket, hat, and/or glasses if that is something devs feel all players should spawn with.

Right now, players have perfect character creation if they choose a dark skinned woman wearing earthtones for their starting clothing.

Good point, but I feel any attempt to prevent this will only lead to problems for the devs and the players who identify with that character's race.

Good point, but I feel any attempt to prevent this will only lead to problems for the devs and the players who identify with that character's race.

Race and gender is only one of many ways people identify.  I think if there was 20 or so backgrounds to choose from, people could connect better by either relating or playing a roll.  College student becomes bandit, or prisoner became hero.

just imagine all the suiciding after that when people try to spawn with better items... even if it's just some basic stuff

Edited by komadose
  • Like 3

just imagine all the suiciding after that when people try to spawn with better items... even if it's just some basic stuff

True. People wil start to know what are the best items you can spawn in with and suicide till they get them Edited by Somestupidusername

True. People wil start to know what are the best items you can spawn in with and suicide till they get them

Not if it's just a basic thing and clothing. A can of food, a soda maybe. If somebody is willing to suicide themselves over a beanie, that's there look out and waste of time.

Good idea but as others said, people already suicide just to get to a "better" spawn point. They would do it even more to get the "good" starter kit.

suggested before, but i agree, beans  for you   :thumbsup:  :beans:

(please don´t: link or it didn't happen)

Random loot would be fine, except weapons of any kind should not be included in the respawn loot pool.

Not any food, drink, weapon or tool to open cans with.

Lets restrict it to "non storageable clothing". Like hats or similar.

My thoughts exactly. Players already mass suicide just to get 2 minutes closer to their wanted destination, it will be suicide bonanza with them wanting to spawn with a can of tuna and a hat rather than an apple and some gloves.

People would just suicide until they get the best starting gear possible.

I've thought this myself too. I think it would make things a bit more interesting, but on the other hand, beginners would probably keep suiciding as long as they get some cool starting gear...

Edited by Mukaparska

Thoughts?

No guns. But spawning in with something slightly random and low tier would be pretty nice. Like a decent jacket and maybe pipe wrench? I'd keep that spawn.

well they could always implement a spawn timer that works like server hoping i wonder how many people will suicide over and over for a better spawn point or a can of beans over a can of drink etc when there waiting 5 minutes a throw after the second death they have ( eg not punished for dying in game but are punished for suiciding in a survival game!!!

Id love a character background hell once i was in game and had sorted out the first drinks and had a meal i would read who i was before moving on. Hmmmm i am a mechanic ah so i get slight advantage when working on a car great not so good now i need to live before i can find car parts or oh i was a hunter cool i get slightly more meat from my kills of animals than the other starter characters awesome if i actually had a gun to hunt with lol..

But hey thats just me i like a little story and some pros and cons makes each play through /death a little different and again if suicide was heavily punished then people would get the picture and roll with who they got ( except race sex etc should not be random you choose that but cloths low starting gear background blood type all random....