Sign in to follow this  
mgc

Loot grinding

Loot grinding  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Grinding loot is...

Hands you book, "Discovering sarcasm for the first time and hope to cope with it"

No sarcasm points awarded for lack of content.

But thanks for trying.

No sarcasm points awarded for lack of content.

But thanks for trying.

There was content, and a point being made. I can draw it in crayon if you like?

There was content, and a point being made. I can draw it in crayon if you like?

That would be epic.

That would be epic.

No it wouldn't. Gilgamesh is an epic, my post and a subsequent explanation would amount to trivial I think? ;)

No it wouldn't. Gilgamesh is an epic, my post and a subsequent explanation would amount to trivial I think? ;)

I knew it. All talk and no crayons!

p.s.

Agreed.

• Like 1

i'm using this thread to ask a totally off-topic question, since i don't want to make a new topic;

what is the current experimental version? is it older than the current stable (like the announcement thread suggests), and if so, any eta?

I knew it. All talk and no crayons!

p.s.

Agreed.

I ate my crayons...

*burp*

• Like 1

I ate my crayons...

*burp*

Obvious burp is obvious.

Have beans instead.

Yes, loot grinding is tedious, which is why I'm not playing the game extensively at the moment. I usually end up getting what I need (this doesn't include firearms), and running around helping newspawns/ leaving things like medkits and can openers around close to the coastline, so they can be easily collected.

Yes, loot grinding is tedious, which is why I'm not playing the game extensively at the moment. I usually end up getting what I need (this doesn't include firearms), and running around helping newspawns/ leaving things like medkits and can openers around close to the coastline, so they can be easily collected.

Do you get shot at often?

If you listen to the devs, the coming content is just going to make us grind more buildings for the 1278 parts it takes to run a vehicle.

Surely you had some idea of what DayZ was when you bought into the alpha?  I really have a hard time understanding the problem here.  From the beginning DayZ has been about scavenging and inventory management.  The excitement comes when you cross paths with other survivors and are at risk of losing your gear. 

If you want to skip to being fully kitted and fighting, why aren't you playing one of the 1000 other FPS's out there.  BF4 may be a good option for you.  This isn't supposed to be a combat game first. It's a survival game.  I don't feel sorry for the people that want to play DM on the coast without putting the time in to gear up. 

My goal is to survive, but I also don't want to sit in the woods and avoid interaction with other players entirely.  I go loot airfields and big towns for the thrill of being in a danger, and for the rewards of finding good loot.  I take what I can get.  Sure there are specific items I want at times, but I'm not mad at the game because it doesn't hand it to me. 

With complaints like this "grind" and a lot of the ones about the controls; I think so many are just conditioned for arcade shooters like BF and CoD etc that they cannot see DayZ for what it's supposed to be.  A zombie apocalypse sim.  If movement was as easy as BF it would feel just as cheap as The War Z.  Some of my own clan mates won't play DayZ because it's not BF4 with Z's... 

This game isn't for everyone, and I'm fine with that.  Please don't make this game easy or less of a "grind".  It's what sets it apart.  Surviving the apocalypse should be a grind.  Eventually, I think it will be a lot harder just to stay healthy even without lead poisoning.  Once there are more survival aspects of the game, maybe a lot of focus will switch from finding the best combat gear so I can go kill newbs on the coast, to doing what's necessary to survive the next cold and rainy night.

Stop grinding and survive.

Edited by =ST=Achilles

Your missing the beauty of the Dayz "grind" as you put it. Personally I don't think it counts as a grind for this same reason. With the Dayz grind you have every chance of finding one of the top level items at any time. Even just 10-20 mins after you spawn. Ok so you are having problems finding this scope....that's the way it goes. This life or the next that scope could be in the very next building.

A grind in the typical sense would be quantifiable. So you would know that 20 runs of that mission (or 20 visits to that barracks, to put it in dayz tems) would guarantee that item. Dayz gives no such guarantee, but gives you the chance every single time ;)

Edited by Karmaterror

Surely you had some idea of what DayZ was when you bought into the alpha?  I really have a hard time understanding the problem here.  From the beginning DayZ has been about scavenging and inventory management.  The excitement comes when you cross paths with other survivors and are at risk of losing your gear. 

If you want to skip to being fully kitted and fighting, why aren't you playing one of the 1000 other FPS's out there.  BF4 may be a good option for you.  This isn't supposed to be a combat game first. It's a survival game.  I don't feel sorry for the people that want to play DM on the coast without putting the time in to gear up. 

My goal is to survive, but I also don't want to sit in the woods and avoid interaction with other players entirely.  I go loot airfields and big towns for the thrill of being in a danger, and for the rewards of finding good loot.  I take what I can get.  Sure there are specific items I want at times, but I'm not mad at the game because it doesn't hand it to me. 

With complaints like this "grind" and a lot of the ones about the controls; I think so many are just conditioned for arcade shooters like BF and CoD etc that they cannot see DayZ for what it's supposed to be.  A zombie apocalypse sim.  If movement was as easy as BF it would feel just as cheap as The War Z.  Some of my own clan mates won't play DayZ because it's not BF4 with Z's... 

This game isn't for everyone, and I'm fine with that.  Please don't make this game easy or less of a "grind".  It's what sets it apart.  Surviving the apocalypse should be a grind.  Eventually, I think it will be a lot harder just to stay healthy even without lead poisoning.  Once there are more survival aspects of the game, maybe a lot of focus will switch from finding the best combat gear so I can go kill newbs on the coast, to doing what's necessary to survive the next cold and rainy night.

Stop grinding and survive.

""I really have a hard time understanding the problem here.""

It's easy. I'm lazy and have limited time. Over 100 hours of looking in the right places for the right scope is to much imo.

Edited by mgc

""I really have a hard time understanding the problem here.""

It's easy. I'm lazy and have limited time. Over 100 hours of looking in the right places for the right scope is to much imo.

well this is not the game for you. the warz sounds more like the game you would enjoy. they are not going to make it easier just because you want to play dm on the coast instead of actually playing the game.

well this is not the game for you. the warz sounds more like the game you would enjoy. they are not going to make it easier just because you want to play dm on the coast instead of actually playing the game.

Round 2?

I bet there's a nice fat portion of people who don't like grinding, who gear up on empty servers. If you don't want gearing up to feel like a grind don't just go to an empty server, basically playing the game without the risk of getting shot at, and therefore without the fun. 

Unfortunately, at this point, you are too focused on finding the LRS. After 100 hours I'd be tired of it also. You have to let it go and use what's available. I can't find an FNX clip to save my life. So I carry the Magnum. While the Mosin with a LRS is nice, it doesn't dominate all others. You can kill someone with a LRS, with any other gun.

Also, and I dread saying it, but it's alpha. The LRS drop has been decreased cause the devs have moved on from testing it. They want you to play with the SKS or whatever new gun they've added. If you insist on having one, why don't you just go to the nearest sniperfest (hill outside Elektro comes to mind), wait to hear a mosin shot, get within a 100 meters of said sniper, put a round in his brain pan, and take his LRS. Under 100 meters you will have the advantage over him. All else, I've had luck with them in hangars. If I had one I'd give it to you, but I recently lost it because of a server restart during a team suicide and rescue mission from both of us having broken legs and no mophine/sticks.

Unfortunately, at this point, you are too focused on finding the LRS. After 100 hours I'd be tired of it also. You have to let it go and use what's available. I can't find an FNX clip to save my life. So I carry the Magnum. While the Mosin with a LRS is nice, it doesn't dominate all others. You can kill someone with a LRS, with any other gun.

Also, and I dread saying it, but it's alpha. The LRS drop has been decreased cause the devs have moved on from testing it. They want you to play with the SKS or whatever new gun they've added. If you insist on having one, why don't you just go to the nearest sniperfest (hill outside Elektro comes to mind), wait to hear a mosin shot, get within a 100 meters of said sniper, put a round in his brain pan, and take his LRS. Under 100 meters you will have the advantage over him. All else, I've had luck with them in hangars. If I had one I'd give it to you, but I recently lost it because of a server restart during a team suicide and rescue mission from both of us having broken legs and no mophine/sticks.

""After 100 hours I'd be tired of it also""

Yeah, when scavenging turns into grinding, fun is lost.

I think that's all I wanted to say really.

Oh yeah, (long range) vision is important to me in DayZ. imo it's no luxury but necessity.

Something about acquiring loot in this game is seriously addictive (to me). Although I know I can only get the same items over and over, it's exciting "looking" for items in buildings while fending off zombies and potentially other people. An age old complaint by many mmo'ers in many other games center around why you can't go into most buildings and simply pick stuff up. This game is far from being a "grind." 

• Like 1

Something about acquiring loot in this game is seriously addictive (to me). Although I know I can only get the same items over and over, it's exciting "looking" for items in buildings while fending off zombies and potentially other people. An age old complaint by many mmo'ers in many other games center around why you can't go into most buildings and simply pick stuff up. This game is far from being a "grind." 

""it's exciting "looking" for items in buildings while fending off zombies and potentially other people""

Even more exciting is finding the item.

Not finding the item for a long time is not exciting.

""After 100 hours I'd be tired of it also""

Yeah, when scavenging turns into grinding, fun is lost.

I think that's all I wanted to say really.

Oh yeah, (long range) vision is important to me in DayZ. imo it's no luxury but necessity.

It's too bad that's what you got from my post. Stop focusing on the tree for the forest. Obsessing on a particular item will turn the game into a 'grindfest'. If it helps, rumor had it the devs will be adding binoculars soon.

""it's exciting "looking" for items in buildings while fending off zombies and potentially other people""

Even more exciting is finding the item.

Not finding the item for a long time is not exciting.

here is round 3, go play warz, that seems to be the game you are looking for,  dayz is obviously not the game for you.

It's too bad that's what you got from my post. Stop focusing on the tree for the forest. Obsessing on a particular item will turn the game into a 'grindfest'. If it helps, rumor had it the devs will be adding binoculars soon.

""Obsessing on a particular item will turn the game into a 'grindfest'""

Ikr.

""If it helps, rumor had it the devs will be adding binoculars soon.""

That does help. I hope it has magnification equal to or better than the lrs.

That would double my chances of completing my vision quest.

So much overcompensation. I looked for over 100 hours to (not) find the scope I want. imo that qualifies as work.

So you like grinding and think it should be an essential part of the DayZ experience then?

Ok, but how do you feel about grinding?

I can find scopes, just not the one I like. I search military and civilian buildings. I started wondering about grinding while tripping over stuff I don't need. Especially with the announcement of the many vehicle parts, this starts to feel more and more like a grinding game.

So your telling me..... you spent 100 hours, not dying, one life, of constant searching? 

Lul