Sign in to follow this  
mgc

Loot grinding

Loot grinding  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Grinding loot is...

So your telling me..... you spent 100 hours, not dying, one life, of constant searching? 

Lul

Yeah, I don't spend my time on the coast. Too many kids with guns.

I died twice so far in DayZ.

The first time within a couple hours because I was friending on sight at night. I was in the process of taking out my flashlight to shed some light on the situation when he / she shot me in the head. That cured my curiosity to a degree.

The second time I was fully geared and was strolling along the coast to see if any fun was to be had there. I encountered another fully geared player that quickly took cover behind a building while I was saying "" friendly, friendly"". Then I had to turn around to kill a Z and he / she took the opportunity to cross the road. I tried to switch to my rifle while taking cover and that was a mistake. I took 5 bullets in the chest and that was the last time i saw the infamous ""you are dead"" screen.

I've been fairly careful and encountered 4 players that I know of since then.

Edited by mgc

Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive tasks during video games.  The most common usage is in the context of MMORPGs in which it is often necessary for a character to repeatedly kill AI-controlled monsters, using basically the same strategy over and over again to advance their character level to be able to access newer content.

The OP is using the term very wrong which has been pointed out to him numerous times.

Alright, hey, thanks! Alright, so now I can vote properly. I think it's not a big deal. The repetitiveness does get old, but there are always struggles, right? So it's different every time.

Do you get shot at often?

Not really. Most people have been friendly. I guess it comes with being unarmed. However, here's a previous post I made on another thread, detailing my opinion of the current state of the game:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154460-so-kos-official-sa-kos-discussion-topic/?p=1894455

This is why I'm not playing the game too much at the moment. I'm still waiting for more things to do, basically.

I don't know what the problem with not finding stuff is... I had a long playing session yesterday, from ~6 PM till ~11.30 AM. I started as a freshspawn near Nizhnoye and when I finished playing, my char has this gear:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595906509795035730/611156990CC9C05DCF474DF2FB77883DDC949513/

I stuck to low-pop servers which I only had to change 3 times. My route was as follows:

Nizhnoye -> Orlovets -> Polana -> Gorka -> Novy (server reset) -> Stary -> Kabanino -> Military Base SW of Kabanino -> NWAF -> Vybor (changed server due to becoming high-pop) -> Pustoshka (server reset) -> Green Moutain -> Zelenogorsk -> Pavlovo -> Military Base SE of Pavlovo -> Chapaevsk

I wouldn't call this "grinding" as I actually traversed the whole map, although I didn't meet anybody. :D

Grinding to me is if I repeated the same action over and over again and I don't think that exploring most of the playable world counts as so.

Funny thing is, that I found the best gear mostly outside of the most popular areas - smaller villages and barns.

My tip? If you're not finding much at the places you look, look somewhere else.

I don't know what the problem with not finding stuff is... I had a long playing session yesterday, from ~6 PM till ~11.30 AM. I started as a freshspawn near Nizhnoye and when I finished playing, my char has this gear:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595906509795035730/611156990CC9C05DCF474DF2FB77883DDC949513/

I stuck to low-pop servers which I only had to change 3 times. My route was as follows:

Nizhnoye -> Orlovets -> Polana -> Gorka -> Novy (server reset) -> Stary -> Kabanino -> Military Base SW of Kabanino -> NWAF -> Vybor (changed server due to becoming high-pop) -> Pustoshka (server reset) -> Green Moutain -> Zelenogorsk -> Pavlovo -> Military Base SE of Pavlovo -> Chapaevsk

I wouldn't call this "grinding" as I actually traversed the whole map, although I didn't meet anybody. :D

Grinding to me is if I repeated the same action over and over again and I don't think that exploring most of the playable world counts as so.

Funny thing is, that I found the best gear mostly outside of the most popular areas - smaller villages and barns.

My tip? If you're not finding much at the places you look, look somewhere else.

Now do that 16 times without finding that lrs and tell me that's not boring.

But do that 3 times when you're a freshspawn and you have everything except an LRS.

Alright, I guess most if not all have cast their votes by now.

Most people seem to agree "grinding" (and by that I mean spending large quantities of time doing repetitive, relatively uninteresting stuff) is necessary.

I agree because the game setting requires it.

Second most voted on was "fun".

While I agree finding items you need is fun and some effort is required to achieve that feeling of accomplishment, I don't think excessive grinding is fun.

In third came "What this game is all about"

This worries me because i think spending large quantities of time doing repetitive, relatively uninteresting stuff is boring and frustrating. I hope you are all referring to the survival aspect and the necessity to hit town now and again. I can agree to that.

Fourth, surprisingly, was "Like a box of chocolates".

You clowns.

Trailing in 5th and 6th came "a bore" and "way to time consuming".

Wanna start a clan?

Edited by mgc

You're doing it wrong.

The easiest way to get a LRS is to join a high pop server and troll the coast for snipers.  With police stations becoming more common, you don't have to go far to find a gun.  It may only be an SKS w/ 10rds, but that should be all you need to ambush a bandit.

Edited by FunYun

You're doing it wrong.

The easiest way to get a LRS is to join a high pop server and troll the coast for snipers.  With police stations becoming more common, you don't have to go far to find a gun.  It may only be an SKS w/ 10rds, but that should be all you need to ambush a bandit.

Coincidentally, that's also the fastest way to get killed. I'd rather loot nwaf solo, thnx.

Coincidentally, that's also the fastest way to get killed. I'd rather loot nwaf solo, thnx.

Which is exactly what you said you didn't like doing.

Unsurprisingly, safe and boring, go hand in hand.

Besides, being a new spawn is when you should care the least about dying, you loose nothing.

Which is exactly what you said you didn't like doing.

Unsurprisingly, safe and boring, go hand in hand.

Besides, being a new spawn is when you should care the least about dying, you loose nothing.

""safe and boring, go hand in hand.""

In what universe is looting nwaf solo, safe. I agree it's less suicidal than what you are suggesting.

""Besides, being a new spawn is when you should care the least about dying, you loose nothing.""

I don't like that attitude at all. It is very un-DayZ.

Besides, I'm not a fresh spawn. Don't you read?

""safe and boring, go hand in hand.""

In what universe is looting nwaf solo, safe. I agree it's less suicidal than what you are suggesting.

""Besides, being a new spawn is when you should care the least about dying, you loose nothing.""

I don't like that attitude at all. It is very un-DayZ.

Besides, I'm not a fresh spawn. Don't you read?

LoL, you're the one with the 100hr character who spends all his time looting what is normally high traffic areas, yet never sees anyone.  You are the expert on safe looting.

Excitement comes from danger, the unknown, yet everything you do is apparently geared towards avoiding the only real threat in the game, other people.

LoL, you're the one with the 100hr character who spends all his time looting what is normally high traffic areas, yet never sees anyone.  You are the expert on safe looting.

Excitement comes from danger, the unknown, yet everything you do is apparently geared towards avoiding the only real threat in the game, other people.

"yet never sees anyone"

Must. resist. open. door. Oh forget it: A lrs would prolly sort that.

"everything you do is apparently geared towards avoiding the only real threat in the game"

There is a famous useful book written on the subject by some Chinese fellow you should read. (speaking of pestle and mortar)

If you want your damn LRS, do what everyone else did to get their LRS.  Server hop.

The lrs is just a symbol. What I wanted to address is "grinding". The fact you suggest server hopping tells me you agree excessive grinding is no fun.

The lrs is just a symbol. What I wanted to address is "grinding". The fact you suggest server hopping tells me you agree excessive grinding is no fun.

:facepalm:  Seriously man.  You are playing the game wrong if you "need" to grind.  There is no grinding in DayZ, only surviving.  

""This game is mean't to be hard and about surviving""

Yeah, I'm fine with that, but can we let that depend more on playing it smart than on grinding please? Effort is cool and all that, but it's also boring like hell and takes forever.

Let's really think about what you're really asking for here. If you take the grinding out then there will no need to kill people or fear zombies. You wont need to worry about hunger, thirst, your medical condition etc.. Basically DayZ will become a HUGE map where you might occasionally run into another player, kill him, and take his loot which is no better than yours because neither of you had to grind for it.

There are a million games out there where survival/grinding isn't the main aspect. Play those if you don't like the grinding. Leave this one game for us grinders and survivors.

:facepalm:  Seriously man.  You are playing the game wrong if you "need" to grind.  There is no grinding in DayZ, only surviving.  

To achieve this "surviving" you speak of, I'm going to need certain items. Depending on where the devs are taking this game, I might need LOADS of items just to survive. Is there at some point in the game going to be room for thriving?

I Voted:

Fun

Necessary

Like a box of chocolates

:beans:

To achieve this "surviving" you speak of, I'm going to need certain items.

Wow, just like real life..... :rolleyes: .

I don't grind to put food on my table, I don't grind, to buy expensive toys.  There is plenty of pay to win games out there that seem to fit you fancy more than what DayZ is going to offer you.

Wow, just like real life..... :rolleyes: .

I don't grind to put food on my table, I don't grind, to buy expensive toys.  There is plenty of pay to win games out there that seem to fit you fancy more than what DayZ is going to offer you.

My sarcasm radar might be malfunctioning and I don't understand where pay to win is coming from. Low blow bro, low blow.

Explain yourself, puny human!

Let's really think about what you're really asking for here. If you take the grinding out then there will no need to kill people or fear zombies. You wont need to worry about hunger, thirst, your medical condition etc.. Basically DayZ will become a HUGE map where you might occasionally run into another player, kill him, and take his loot which is no better than yours because neither of you had to grind for it.

There are a million games out there where survival/grinding isn't the main aspect. Play those if you don't like the grinding. Leave this one game for us grinders and survivors.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1wi9gi/futurama-monumental-bender

I personally don't feel comfortable in this game until I have at least three cans of food on my person. And I wouldn't play it any other way. To jubilation that you feel when you find something you've either been looking for or need desperately to live is pretty awesome. When I read something like this, I have to wonder why they play this game...

I feel DayZ is already drowning in parts. It is very hard to find what you want. i.e. I still haven't found the scope i want in over 100 hours but a gazillion others. Is grinding loot designed to keep us happy or busy?

At least you said 'wanted', not 'needed'. This game is the worst case scenario scavenger hunt. If you want to risk your skin and your time finding a scope for a rifle, that's your lookout and your option. If you don't enjoy it, perhaps this game is not for you...

Wow, that clip does absolutely nothing to help make your point or counter mine. 

To achieve this "surviving" you speak of, I'm going to need certain items. Depending on where the devs are taking this game, I might need LOADS of items just to survive. Is there at some point in the game going to be room for thriving?

I hope we do need loads of items just to survive. It will actually be like trying to survive in an apocalypse, which is what this game is supposed to be about. As it is now, surviving is extremely simple. Hopefully it will get harder to where it is actually a challenge. Otherwise, what's the point in playing the game?