Grimey Rick

EDITED: Are you happy with CURRENT zombie implementation?

195 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the current implementation of zombies?

• Yes.
    • No.

This is 50% rant, 50% wondering what other people think of the current zombie implementation.

Ever since they changed the zombies last patch, this game has become way less entertaining than it was for me and my friends. We all have almost 700 hours logged, but this week we've only played once. I've read a lot about people praising the recent changes made to the zombies, but I haven't really seen any sensible reasons why. What good reason do people have for enjoying the current clusterfuck that are zombies in DayZ? A potentially unlimited stream of zombies that can run through walls is so dumb I can't even begin to express my frustration.

They ruin PVP. Like, completely. PVP has become arduously obnoxious as everyone is forced to play the waiting game. Whoever shoots first generally loses as they're stuck fending off a ridiculous amount of zombies that apparently appear out of thin air, while you can sit back and laugh as you pop off shots at them. Don't bother shooting them, because an unlimited horde of their brothers and sisters will join the parade, further damning you and your companions. Like, I fully understand a few zombies awakening here and there due to proximity noise. That'd actually be cool and add to the atmosphere. You'd have to watch for corpses, step around them, move away from them, and plan your shots. It'd actually add another element to tactical decisions made during PVP encounters. Instead, we get this blanket fix because a few people were whining about how bad zombies were so far.

I've also read that the zombie AI was going to be one of the last things worked on before the beta hits. I always believed that to be true, as before this patch zombies were just kind of an annoyance. As they are now, they're enough to make me want to

my keyboard. They're not hard. They're not scary. They're just ANNOYING.

rage_face.jpg

P.S: Yeah, I know it's an alpha. But before this patch, it was a fun alpha that me and many people I know logged a fuckton of hours on. Now it's like, sweet, Final Fantasy VII is on sale on Steam for $3.99.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 15

l2shoot on the run or attack people with your zombie swarm

sorry to hear you can't camp anymore and have to develop actual skill.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 11

Barring the whole walking through walls thing, I think this is hilarious watching the pvp guys get owned, while I come out unscathed. :D

Oh look, its less of a deathmatch, they ruined the game. :lol:

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 7

I think you might want to change the title because from the title it seems you want to get rid of zombie 100% of a zombie game.

What good reason do people have for enjoying the current clusterfuck that are zombies in DayZ?

I don't mind zombies, I personally think they were worst on the Mod, I was playing earlier today and the zombies were just the same, they are a bit stronger, but with a fire axe and being careful, you can take care of them just fine. It's not that hard. Now, do I LIKE the zombies on Standalone at the moment? No. I don't think anyone likes it, we just have to find other ways to deal with it.

They ruin PVP. Like, completely.

Do you watch The Walking Dead? If yes, did you see that part where The Governor attacks the prison? Well, I'm not going to say any spoilers, but basically, at the end, hundreds of zombies were coming because of the gun shots and all the noise, killing everyone who wasn't careful. That's what happen, now, the respawn system is barely working and when it works, it's just awful, I will admit, but when you think about it, it's basically what would happen IRL.

Yes, glitchy zombies are bad, I understand, but it's not a glitch, do you think that when you fire loads of bullets near a town, no zombie is going to hear?

-------

Zombies are glitchy as hell, they are. But when you get at least a splinter axe, you'll be fine if you're careful.

Edited by DiscordWhooves
  • Like 2

l2shoot on the run or attack people with your zombie swarm

sorry to hear you can't camp anymore and have to develop actual skill.

Wait, what? Me and my clan have planned matches against other clans. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post to illustrate that with the scenarios I provided.

Barring the whole walking through walls thing, I think this is hilarious watching the pvp guys get owned, while I come out unscathed. :D

Oh look, its less of a deathmatch, they ruined the game. :lol:

Yeah. Playing DayZ is currently so very hard. If we're just out to loot and engage in light skirmishes, it's pretty straight forward and faceroll boring. That's why we have PVP matches against other people who are, y'know, good and stuff.

I also understand this game isn't about 5v5 planned showdowns between two or more groups of people, but a ton of people participate in it, so it's probably worth a look for the developers.

• Like 1

I think you might want to change the title because from the title it seems you want to get rid of zombie 100% of a zombie game.

I don't mind zombies, I personally think they were worst on the Mod, I was playing earlier today and the zombies were just the same, they are a bit stronger, but with a fire axe and being careful, you can take care of them just fine. It's not that hard. Now, do I LIKE the zombies on Standalone at the moment? No. I don't think anyone likes it, we just have to find other ways to deal with it.

Do you watch The Walking Dead? If yes, did you see that part where The Governor attacks the prison? Well, I'm not going to say any spoilers, but basically, at the end, hundreds of zombies were coming because of the gun shots and all the noise, killing everyone who wasn't careful. That's what happen, now, the respawn system is barely working and when it works, it's just awful, I will admit, but when you think about it, it's basically what would happen IRL.

Yes, glitchy zombies are bad, I understand, but it's not a glitch, do you think that when you fire loads of bullets near a town, no zombie is going to hear?

-------

Zombies are glitchy as hell, they are. But when you get at least a splinter axe, you'll be fine if you're careful.

I more or less agree with what you're saying, but I wouldn't use TWD as a comparison for potential realism in an apocalypse. (; They're what, two years into it now? Most of the zombies would be dead by now, wouldn't they? I get what you're implying, and in my OP I suggested that corpses laying around that could be awoken if you were loud in their proximity would not only be fine, it'd be ideal to add another dynamic to the game.

I more or less agree with what you're saying, but I wouldn't use TWD as a comparison for potential realism in an apocalypse. (; They're what, two years into it now? Most of the zombies would be dead by now, wouldn't they? I get what you're implying, and in my OP I suggested that corpses laying around that could be awoken if you were loud in their proximity would not only be fine, it'd be ideal to add another dynamic to the game.

Well, it might not be the best example, but it's what I could come up with.

Now, about the zombies laying around. It has been done before, on WarZ.

Well... Barely, because they were just floating and in general it was all a bad experience, but I do think Dean could add that, it's not a bad idea, actually.

We just have to make it so they don't take years to get up and with that being easy as fuck to kill.

And they could add special skin to these "corpses", like zombies but more decomposed.

Edited by DiscordWhooves

They're not hard. They're not scary. They're just ANNOYING.

rage_face.jpg

That's exactly what they are trying to get rid of...This is one of their ways to attempt to do so.

Just because you can't sit on your ass in one single position and play "Who can camp harder than my squad" anymore doesn't mean the game is losing its draw. It means its changing.

No longer can you empty a 40 round clip, look to your left an go: "Damn zombie..let me just move 2 feet to the left where i can get another solid 60 seconds to get another 40 rounds off before I have to even think about moving again."

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 3

@ OP: Welcome to DayZ. Sounds like you meant to buy ARMA III for the Wasteland Mod.

• Like 13

Grimey, I respect you I do. So please dont take my advice as trolling. But really, all you need to do is get better. Just spend a life or 2 only fighting Zombies. Shoot your gun, do all of that.. once you get more used to how they are now, they are just as easy and really do not stop PVP or any other thing you used to be able to do in game.

Now with my advice said, I do agree with you that they are simply annoying now. They are not difficult, and they are just a bloody mess. But its early. We all know its an alpha, and things will change. If a little Zombie practice time does not get you back into the game, just go play something else for bit like you already said. Nothing wrong with that :) 

• Like 4

I'd rather have them be annoying than a non-factor

Also they just bought the company who made most of the Cabela hunting game's to do the Zombie and animal AI. They are going to be amazing.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

I love the new fun that is had with the zeds.

but a lot of work needs to be done still so. I like most cant wait till thay are not clipping walls/floors. In a long time from now, when it matters and a vote comes up about this exact thing, I hope am still enjoying the zombie threat at that time.

:)

• Like 2

Zombies are here to stay.

Sadly I don't think this is the best decision.

Dayz is evolving into one kick butt survival sim. Removing zombies would remove server strain, and could divert the devs attention to further the survival aspects and increasing player counts.

For me Zombies are merely a played out gimmick in the video game industry. Dayz could have shined without it and will very much shine with zombies too but they will still remain a gimmicky gameplay mechanic.

I would have rather played the version of dayz without spawning zombies, that focuses completely on realism, survival, scavenging, battleing the elements and wilderness and player interaction over just open world zombie game that it is now.

• Like 3

Grimey, I respect you I do. So please dont take my advice as trolling. But really, all you need to do is get better. Just spend a life or 2 only fighting Zombies. Shoot your gun, do all of that.. once you get more used to how they are now, they are just as easy and really do not stop PVP or any other thing you used to be able to do in game.

Now with my advice said, I do agree with you that they are simply annoying now. They are not difficult, and they are just a bloody mess. But its early. We all know its an alpha, and things will change. If a little Zombie practice time does not get you back into the game, just go play something else for bit like you already said. Nothing wrong with that :)

Seriously dude? The zombies themselves are a non-factor. I can fist-fight a half dozen of them without getting hit. They're like an annoying younger brother tagging along with you the entire time you play. My entire point is regarding how they just get in the way. I'm not complaining because I find them hard, I'm complaining because I find they ruin the entire experience of the game in their current state. Even playing with just my wife, her biggest complaint is how stupidly fake they are. I mean, yeah, they're zombies, but at least attempt to make them somewhat real.

Back on topic, we still PVP against other clans, it just makes the entire experience annoying as fuck. When we take on another team, we generally use the same Team Speak after we're done to talk/joke/laugh about it. Sometimes we gear up the guys we just killed. When we're talking during the gearing up period, everyone says the same thing: annoying zombies are annoying. We've all agreed that we're sure the game will be fine, but right now it's taking away from the whole experience. They should've just left them alone until they're actually going to put some time into adjusting their AI and fixing their pathing.

Zombies are here to stay.

Sadly I don't think this is the best decision.

Dayz is evolving into one kick butt survival sim. Removing zombies would remove server strain, and could divert the devs attention to further the survival aspects and increasing player counts.

For me Zombies are merely a played out gimmick in the video game industry. Dayz could have shined without it and will very much shine with zombies too but they will still remain a gimmicky gameplay mechanic.

I would have rather played the version of dayz without spawning zombies, that focuses completely on realism, survival, scavenging, battleing the elements and wilderness and player interaction over just open world zombie game that it is now.

I agree with your post 100%. The game will eventually be fine. It's a game like no other. I'm only bringing attention to one little component in the machine that is DayZ.

P.S: For those of you making dumbass posts about how this is affecting our "camping", take heart that we're not camping Elektro with a Mosin like half of you probably are. I'm so beyond Elektro/airfield "PVP" it'd blow your mind. As I've stated at least three times, me and my crew enjoy organized PVP against other clans/teams. We're not KOSing you. We're not camping you. We're certainly not bothering you, so kindly keep your asinine posts to yourselves, kthx.

@ OP: Welcome to DayZ. Sounds like you meant to buy ARMA III for the Wasteland Mod.

DERP NEWP, I meant to buy a realistic zombie survival game, not one where zombies magically appear out of thin air due to some unknown sorcery.

But thanks.

• Like 2

Seriously dude?

Yes. Dead serious about all of it :)

I really liked how the zombies were before the zed update/

• Like 1

Yes. Dead serious about all of it :)

Zombies aren't hard, they're annoying. :)

Seriously dude? The zombies themselves are a non-factor. I can fist-fight a half dozen of them without getting hit. They're like an annoying younger brother tagging along with you the entire time you play. My entire point is regarding how they just get in the way. I'm not complaining because I find them hard, I'm complaining because I find they ruin the entire experience of the game in their current state. Even playing with just my wife, her biggest complaint is how stupidly fake they are. I mean, yeah, they're zombies, but at least attempt to make them somewhat real.

Back on topic, we still PVP against other clans, it just makes the entire experience annoying as fuck. When we take on another team, we generally use the same Team Speak after we're done to talk/joke/laugh about it. Sometimes we gear up the guys we just killed. When we're talking during the gearing up period, everyone says the same thing: annoying zombies are annoying. We've all agreed that we're sure the game will be fine, but right now it's taking away from the whole experience. They should've just left them alone until they're actually going to put some time into adjusting their AI and fixing their pathing.

I agree with your post 100%. The game will eventually be fine. It's a game like no other. I'm only bringing attention to one little component in the machine that is DayZ.

P.S: For those of you making dumbass posts about how this is affecting our "camping", take heart that we're not camping Elektro with a Mosin like half of you probably are. I'm so beyond Elektro/airfield "PVP" it'd blow your mind. As I've stated at least three times, me and my crew enjoy organized PVP against other clans/teams. We're not KOSing you. We're not camping you. We're certainly not bothering you, so kindly keep your asinine posts to yourselves, kthx.

Lol..Never said that you were doing that shit to ME. Also, it doesn't matter where the PvP is happening, the combat style and point I made is still the same regardless of where the hell it happens, my point of:

No longer can you empty a 40 round clip, look to your left an go: "Damn zombie..let me just move 2 feet to the left where i can get another solid 60 seconds to get another 40 rounds off before I have to even think about moving again."

still stands. And this is a factor that clearly needs to be gotten rid of in a zombie apocalyptic game such as this. You say you meant to "Buy a realistic zombie game."? Then you shouldn't disagree with me nor call my posts asinine.

Get the fuck outta here you generalizing POS.

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 1

This is a ZOMBIE survival game, not a FPS.

Go back to BF.

• Like 6

Lol..Never said that you were doing that shit to ME. Also, it doesn't matter where the PvP is happening, the combat style and point I made is still the same regardless of where the hell it happens, my point of:

still stands. And this is a factor that clearly needs to be gotten rid of in a zombie apocalyptic game such as this. You say you meant to "Buy a realistic zombie game."? Then you shouldn't disagree with me nor call my posts asinine.

Get the fuck outta here you generalizing POS.

I don't even know who you are, or what point you're trying to make. You're mad because people camp? You're mad because people you've never played with and who have no desire of ever playing with you decide to organize their own 5v5 matches? You're mad because why, exactly? You're obviously looking to instigate an argument. Your comments provide no substance to this conversation.

This game is played like a tactical shooter. It's a first-person shooter, per se, but people don't run around like Quake performing 180º headshots on their enemies. It's a game that requires actual planning and execution. Sometimes that involves rushing. Sometimes that involves baiting. Sometimes that involves camping and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.

Again, nothing we're doing has any bearing on you whatsoever, so what's your fucking point? If you're mad, go cut yourself or something.

Also, when could you ever "empty a 40 round clip, move two feet to the left and shoot for another sixty seconds before worrying about moving again"? Zombies were always attracted to noise and would run up to you with arms flailing. Once they were on you, you didn't have more than a few seconds to shoot before they were on you again. So how in the actual fuck does your example lend any credibility whatsoever to whatever point you're trying to make here?

EDIT: Dumbass.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3

This is a ZOMBIE survival game, not a FPS.

Go back to BF.

Has nothing to do with the current changes to zombies being annoying/unrealistic/more broken than they were before. Another failed flame.

Thanks though.

From an actual gameplay standpoint the current zombies are annoying but they are essentially placeholders for future improvements. If it meant cutting down on the no-skill campers who post up near spawn points and shoot anything that walks in front of them with the massive arsenal they acquired through server hopping, I say keep them permanently. Hell, I'd give the Z's the ability to fly and shoot fireballs. However, they do tend to break immersion, but not really any more than 3rd party voice chat and server restarts.

Wait, what? Me and my clan have planned matches against other clans. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post to illustrate that with the scenarios I provided.

The tears are delicious.  So now you can't camp, or what you call pvp :rolleyes: .  Of all the whine rants I expected better of you.  And it's, "My clan and I"

So, you want to have planned matches and not be bothered by the infected, eh?  

The tears are delicious.  So now you can't camp, or what you call pvp :rolleyes: .  Of all the whine rants I expected better of you.  And it's, "My clan and I"

So, you want to have planned matches and not be bothered by the infected, eh?  

No, we want to have planned matches and not be bothered by unlimited waves of infected. Also, we don't "camp". I've explained everything in great detail in my previous posts if you'd bother to read them before posting like a blatant dipshit.

Read the fucking thread.

EDIT: P.S: If you want to become a grammar nazi, you may want to peruse your post history. Your sentence structure isn't exactly top notch, broski.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2