synystr

KoS or Human Nature?

This is the earliest video I could find. April 27 2012. Two weeks after DayZ mod launched. If you read side chat, and listen to the guy's story, you will see that even this early on KoS was rampant. 

Ever think that it is Human nature in a situation like this? Trust, by definition, is dependence on another person. One person is WILLINGLY relying on another person's actions... Which is completely stupid and naive.

If I have stuff to lose, you can bet I'll shoot you if you are within range.

The Anti-KoS people can deny all they want, but I highly doubt that:

1. They are completely 100% innocent

2. When the shit hits the fan in a survival situation, (like war, an epidemic, or even a zombie outbreak), I highly doubt they are going to be running through towns yelling "Friendly?", running up on people asking to team up.

• Like 5

2. When the shit hits the fan in a survival situation, (like war, an epidemic, or even a zombie outbreak), I highly doubt they are going to be running through towns yelling "Friendly?", running up on people asking to team up.

I do also, however I also doubt they would brutally murder an unarmed man with a sniper rifle. Also that is just one example, when I first started playing I met 100s of friendly guys. A lot of them willing to give me gear.

KOS was not rampant when the mod launched.

Edited by BSB Jimmy

I'd hardly call it "human nature" more like gamer nature when playing a video game.  Regardless, I do agree with you...  The vast majority of "bambies" or fresh spawns killed have kos's, and would probably kos if the tables were turned.  Surviving is all about mitigating risks, and managing risk vs reward.  Sometimes killing someone even though they are not actively shooting at you is the safest option.

But OP your story and video can't possibly make any sense because all the people who weren't even playing then keep telling me how the early days when I WAS actually playing were so awesome and nobody KoSed ....

I like how the guy even explains how to not be an idiot who runs up to people yelling friendly or looking at your map in the middle of an open field.

Edited by Weedz

Ah, back when you started with a pistol, that was a bloodbath with everyone killing each other on the shore just to get more ammo, probably worse than now tbh.

• Like 2

In real life there will be 2 kind of ppl = Robbers(aka gang-bang, surprise motfka!) and poor ppl who trying to save their asses and families.

•••Ppl kos because LIFE in dayz cost nothing, and you no need a teamate because he is useles..

••Imagine you have 40 men on server fully looted, healthy etc. Now what? You won??? You have everything so what now? REPRODUCE!!! And make science.
There is nothign to do in real life when you have food/water.Money is nothing(nobody needs them). = So you need to 

A)Explore and enjoy your life

B)Create some thing(sculptures,paintings,houses,machines etc)

C)Prey till you die from old-age

In that game, C and B are impossible so you only can explore, but it's not ultra-super-duper-HD^10, and the •only option is to interact with other ppl.

•So lets get back to our 40 ppl on server standing in one place. DAFUQ TO DO?????¿¿¿¿????

UPD.1 MORTAL COMBAT!!!

Edited by Electi
  • Like 1

Ah, back when you started with a pistol, that was a bloodbath with everyone killing each other on the shore just to get more ammo, probably worse than now tbh.

Those were the dayz ....

spawn in ...

POW   POW    POWPOW    POWPOWPOWPOWPOW    POW POW     POW POW

WTF DID I SPAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF IRAQ!!

I also like how this is the best most helpful to show noobs how to play DayZ video I've ever seen and makes every video since then look like crap which explains nothing ... and it's from 2 weeks in ... from a guy who had been playing for less than 24 hours.

Edited by Weedz

Reposting this post again....

The majority of this community is so cowardly and overly competitive that they almost always shoot armed players without even attempting to communicate.

"He's armed and he's on the coast; must be a bandit... BAM!"

Where is the fun in that? Play arma 3 wasteland. You won't have to deal with all of these bugs and I completed features. More guns. More vehicles. All of the things you beg for on these forums.

"I KOS because there aren't enough features in this game to do anything else yet."

This game was made for people willing to risk losing everything to engage in heart pounding interactions with potentially violent strangers. This is the only game where potential friend or foe can honestly only be distinguished by their ACTIONS; not by the color of the arrow floating over their head.

"I tried being friendly. I got tired of getting killed so I don't even try anymore."

This excuse is the worst. So many of you think the only two options are

a.) kill or you will undoubtedly be killed. Or,

B.) place your life into the hands of a complete stranger and hope that they are like-minded.

The truly skilled survivors asses the stranger, place themselves in a superior position should a firefight erupt, and then you attempt to communicate. If you can learn to do this, not only will you increase your chances of survival (should you choose to interact with others), but when you ARE forced to kill someone in self-defense, it will be so much more rewarding KNOWING (not speculating) that they would have gladly done the same to you.

Alas, this kind of tactical thinking (it's a fucking survival game for god's sake) is too much to ask for the majority of dayz's current community.

Edit: took out drunk ranting at end of original post.

Edited by Dagwood
  • Like 3

In a survival situation, yes, there are bound to be at least a few people who KoS, though most of them would probably do it either A.) to take someone else's stuff, or B.) to make sure someone else doesn't take their stuff. It only makes sense. However, in the early stages of the DayZ SA, there still isn't very much else for people to do besides kill others, so I'm sure that many people that do it currently do it mainly to keep it interesting, because otherwise all there is to do is run around (literally) and collect stuff, or RP in some way (trying to help others, RPing some sort of character, etc.). I think that, once the game evolves more and there's more to do (hunt, cook, drive vehicles, build camps/structures, etc.), the number of people that KoS will drop, at least a little, because there will be more to keep people occupied, besides shooting the first person they see. As it is, the game can get rather boring rather quickly, so I think we just need to wait. Yes, it will always be human nature to some degree, but when there are other options, it won't be quite as rampant.

point of DayZ is survive

#1 threat for you doing good long life is other player ;)

killing player on sight maybe save your life

is increase chance for survive 100% no player = no threat for you ;)

if you kill 'friendly' guy you losing 100% nothing

if you try communicate with killer is cost you maybe 100% everything :|

is simple survive instinct thing, human is program by nature and millions of year to preserve the life

is not coward strategy >:(

coward strategy is combat log or hide in bush tremble from fear using 3rd person to check if bad man is going away :o

is 2 kind of human in life winner and loser

killing on sight is winner strategy and only guys who QQ about don't realise they are loser but is true if you see guy you don't know with gun and you have chance for kill and you don't do it...  when you on beach remember feeling you having and realise other guy enjoy WIN  :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 4

Wouldn't my strategy prolong the adrenaline rush of player encounters? Even if you might "lose"?

Well I played in the mod fairly early on, now I won't tell you that I was never killed but even the bandits were fairly decent. Yes they would rob you blind and do all sorts of comical things but it wasn't the flat out wild west shoot em up that Dayz has turned into. I am one of those anti-kos people you spoke of, no I am not innocent, no I do not go into every situation thinking if I shout friendly, people will believe me and not shoot. Yes I have killed players, most have been after both parties have reached an impasse. Yes I have killed a few completely geared and unaware player, while it made me feel horrible, they had the supplies I needed, I see that as survival. Yes I am a hypocrite in that reguard, I make no excuses for my actions.

I do not like the idea of KOSing, however it is a nessesary evil and one that isn't going away anytime soon . No I don't trust anyone outside of the clan I run with, I've been shot in the back way too many times for that but I can be a little more understand of your situation as long as you stay on the other side of the wall or at the buisness end of my SKS. No one is innocent in Dayz, people watch all those videos on YouTube of people behaving badly and the try to emulate that.

I can also understand people not wanting to put the time in to find all of the required items to survive in Dayz, it is appealing to people to just kill someone who has already put in the effort so they can have Dayzeasymode. To the people who kill players, fresh spawn or not so fresh, just for fun, I guess I get your "need" for fun. I don't agree with it but that is my choice. I know tldr, its not human nature, its just people behaving badly.

Edited by Tobias Winfro

I like how when the OP is in favour of KOS nobody gives a fuck but if OP made a thread that was anti-KOS a lot of people would be like "QQ" and it would probably be locked & sent to graveyard by now  :)

From what I've seen in this thread & out in the forums so far people from both sides think they're right and they hold the only truth. "Skilled players don't KOS" "KOS is part of game don't QQ" How about you step off from that pedestal of yours and maybe think that what's your opinion isn't necessarily 100% right? I don't believe this KOS thing is to be seen as being black & white although it really looks like it, both 'sides' have good arguments as long as they can keep it mature and leave out the "Oh only nubs (don't) KOS" which is just plain retarded...

Edit: Felt like it.

Edited by Snowball

you used to spawn with a gun, ammo, beans and a bandage.

no item degradation.

the beaches were kos central.

Twas a bad time for us all

I agree it's human nature, but people don't have any moral reasoning here.

Why shoot an unarmed fresh spawn when you could setup a base or find a car?

IRL?

ZRRgh.gif

..This is a video game. About Zombies.

There is absolutely no plausible IN REAL LIFE comparison.

Please stop with this argument, its killing me. Like actually making me lose brain cells. (i only haz 4 anyhow)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 3

point of DayZ is survive

#1 threat for you doing good long life is other player ;)

killing player on sight maybe save your life

is increase chance for survive 100% no player = no threat for you ;)

if you kill 'friendly' guy you losing 100% nothing

if you try communicate with killer is cost you maybe 100% everything :|

is simple survive instinct thing, human is program by nature and millions of year to preserve the life

is not coward strategy > :(

coward strategy is combat log or hide in bush tremble from fear using 3rd person to check if bad man is going away :o

is 2 kind of human in life winner and loser

killing on sight is winner strategy and only guys who QQ about don't realise they are loser but is true if you see guy you don't know with gun and you have chance for kill and you don't do it...  when you on beach remember feeling you having and realise other guy enjoy WIN  :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

KOS, I see we use different methods here, but for the same outcome. You choose to remove potential threats where I choose to observe and decide if they are a threat without them being aware of me. Similar styles with the same end result, any threat to our lives is removed.

To me this is why KOS as a playstyle is completely valid. The problem is that with reality removed from the equation, the balance swings towards KOS as being the 'go to' method of self preservation. If reality was brought back in, it would become obvious that kill on sight is no way to promote long term survival. I guess it depends on whether the player sees a game or a simulation before them.

First of all BULLSHIT i have played hundreds of hours of mod and SA and still to this day have only killed 3 people i dont agree with kill and let kill concepts people need to realise that this game is fucking designed around co-operation there are things you cannot possibly do without a team mate amd every one seems to think that it owuld be the best idea to shoot someone in the god damn head as a fucking hello you know what why not follow ad see them first see if they can be trusted by watching their interactions with other players.

Secondly you must have had a fucking horrible child hood if ruining a literal 29 hr job to gear up in les than .29 of a god damn second is what gets you hard some people have a fucking life and cant afford to sit on a game for 70000 hrs to be as good s most of the fucking bandits or simply put YOU ARE ACTUALLY A CHILD and therefore should not be playing this fucking game.

I summary DayZ GO FUCK YOURSELF

^^^ but "watching their interactions" is beyond the capabilities of most of these players. Reacting to a scary man they see by blasting away is all that they know.

And they think shooting everything is more fun than taking advantage of the human aspects of this game that no other game provides.

Try not to get so angry about it. Instead, join hardcore servers and attempt player interaction there. You'd be surprised at who you bump into

It's not human nature. I'm unsure why people keep calling this game a "social experiment" and that these actions are how you'd expect a real human to act in a similar scenario.

First off, the entire game is no where near realistic. Is it fun? Yeah. Is it like reality? No. In reality, there'd be moral standards, human conscience, the real fear of dying. In Day Z, you spawn right back. No loss. You lose gear but so what? It takes an hour or less to gear right back up. This isn't how people would act in a survival situation. And I highly doubt all the 14 - 20 year olds survived the apocalypse but older people didn't.

Sorry to rant. But this "Social Experiment" shit really bugs me. This isn't how most people would act. If you ever talked to someone who's killed a man or see a man die, they sure as hell never tell the story as "yea, m8 got pwned by sum freshie, lawl"

Anyway, more on topic, people KoS because it's a game. Add whatever you want, you may down the numbers but people will always KoS. In DayZ, sometimes it's better to simply not trust people.

Edit: Plus, would anyone really want EVERY encounter to be friendly? I like meeting new friends, but sometimes firefights spice shit up.

Edited by BiGoDeViN
  • Like 5

First of all BULLSHIT i have played hundreds of hours of mod and SA and still to this day have only killed 3 people i dont agree with kill and let kill concepts people need to realise that this game is fucking designed around co-operation there are things you cannot possibly do without a team mate amd every one seems to think that it owuld be the best idea to shoot someone in the god damn head as a fucking hello you know what why not follow ad see them first see if they can be trusted by watching their interactions with other players.

Secondly you must have had a fucking horrible child hood if ruining a literal 29 hr job to gear up in les than .29 of a god damn second is what gets you hard some people have a fucking life and cant afford to sit on a game for 70000 hrs to be as good s most of the fucking bandits or simply put YOU ARE ACTUALLY A CHILD and therefore should not be playing this fucking game.

I summary DayZ GO FUCK YOURSELF

I co-operate with my teammates when we're KoSing. I don't care if people can be trusted ... I'm a bandit. They gonna die.

I work 60+ hours a week I seem to manage getting geared up. Why am I gonna spend 29 hours looting like some noob who doesn't know you can just kill people and take their shit and then use it to KoS some more? I am actually 25. In my culture this is considered to be an adult not a child and I believe the game is unrated as it is not yet finished so there is no age requirement other than I think you have to be over 13 to sign for a Alpha test so there should be no children only teenagers or higher.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

^^^ but "watching their interactions" is beyond the capabilities of most of these players. Reacting to a scary man they see by blasting away is all that they know.

And they think shooting everything is more fun than taking advantage of the human aspects of this game that no other game provides.

Try not to get so angry about it. Instead, join hardcore servers and attempt player interaction there. You'd be surprised at who you bump into

I use to play experimental because everyone i met on there seemed to be reasonable interested in the game and its progression rather than PvP however recently have not been able to come across any experimental servers and so am forced to play with these circumstances instead

I said hardcore, not experimental. Especially if you play U.S west coast servers

I co-operate with my teammates when we're KoSing. I don't care if people can be trusted ... I'm a bandit. They gonna die.

I work 60+ hours a week I seem to manage getting geared up. Why am I gonna spend 29 hours looting like some noob who doesn't know you can just kill people and take their shit and then use it to KoS some more? I am actually 25. In my culture this is considered to be an adult not a child and I believe the game is unrated as it is not yet finished so there is no age requirement other than I think you have to be over 13 to sign for a Alpha test so there should be no children only teenagers or higher.

You're not a bandit ou're a murderer banditry is a solid aspect of the game that i strongly believe in KoS is a cowardly way of communicating and i believe that you are wrong about the age restriction because when you went to download it initially it would have asked you for your date of birth and hence it said this is "age restricted content" also if you mnage to read the entire post i didn't say you were a child i said only 2 types of people KoS and they are people who had a very sad neglected childhood that turned them into sociopaths and knobs or children clearly you are the first making you a sociopathath and a sadist

• Like 1

I said hardcore, not experimental. Especially if you play U.S west coast servers

yes i read the post and however i am playing in AU which makes the ratio of knobs to good players higher because there re always more arseholes than friends and there are way less people over here but thanks for tip might try hardcore once i see a few more additions to th game i really thought that adding berries and extra towns to stable would have held off some PvP but it seems to have increased since 3 weeks ago when i last played