Sign in to follow this  
finowns

Ping

Hey fellow players.

Tell me about ping if you would :) 

So, Im moving and I cant get highspeed broadband - only mobile internet

Im living in Finland as my profile may show - and Im playing on uk and russian servers mostly.

What do you think that my ping would be? Can I still keep playing dayz or do I have to take a break? )=

I would really appreciate if you can answer my question :)

It really depends and I don't think we will be able to give you a 100% answer on this one. But it's entirely possible to play on servers with around 200-300 ping, even though anything above that will just be painful for you and all the other players.

I guess it will be time to test it out.

You might wanna tell exact up/downstream - i own mobilenet with Down: 50mbit/s Up: 10mbit/s and got a pretty decent connection, prolly better then my homeconnection.

I only have a 3G internet stick or I plug in my phone for that extra special experience! I get about 200 ping on average and find it still quite playable. If I get a lag spike though to 500 I'm done for the night before I die.

Thanks for answers - I cant tell exact up/down speeds yet cause we are still moving - Its good to hear that you can play with mobilenet :) that really makes me believe that i can keep playing this awesome game :)

But what I have heard is that up/down speed does not affect my ping that much - jitter is biggest problem.

I have good broadband now but just few dayz left to use it )= I got ping around 60-80 with this in uk and russian servers.

Just thinking if someone else have mobile connection and could tell me more about it (can i play. etc.) :)

But what I have heard my up and down would be 5-15/3-5 - but still, very hard to tell.

Edited by finowns

I only have a 3G internet stick or I plug in my phone for that extra special experience! I get about 200 ping on average and find it still quite playable. If I get a lag spike though to 500 I'm done for the night before I die.

Yeah, I think it will be 3G - Maybe 4G if i get extra antenna.

So you dont teleport around map and can fire your weapon without delay?

Cause that would be really frustrating :P

Edited by finowns

Hey fellow players.

Tell me about ping if you would :)

So, Im moving and I cant get highspeed broadband - only mobile internet

Im living in Finland as my profile may show - and Im playing on uk and russian servers mostly.

What do you think that my ping would be? Can I still keep playing dayz or do I have to take a break? )=

I would really appreciate if you can answer my question :)

Dont worry mate. I live in Finland too and I had fiber connection, but now I need to use my note 3 to share internet to my PC. Atleast for me sharing net from my phone with micro usb adds about 10 ms more ping so nothing major. I can play any multiplayer game with no problems. The fact that matters is how far from city do you live and how fast your mobile internet actually is. I have 20 mbps net but it is much slower when I use it at home so I usually place the phone next to window and net speed increases.

And when I play at Finnish servers, I usually get around 30-50 ping. On other european servers it is usually less than 100 ms

And when I play at Finnish servers, I usually get around 30-50 ping. On other european servers it is usually less than 100 ms

Dont worry mate. I live in Finland too and I had fiber connection, but now I need to use my note 3 to share internet to my PC. Atleast for me sharing net from my phone with micro usb adds about 10 ms more ping so nothing major. I can play any multiplayer game with no problems. The fact that matters is how far from city do you live and how fast your mobile internet actually is. I have 20 mbps net but it is much slower when I use it at home so I usually place the phone next to window and net speed increases.

Im very sorry for everyone who dont understand finnish but im gonna write some now.

Joo :D Kiitoksia kun vaivauduit vastaamaan - Ihan suomeksi kirjoitan että saan selitettyä asiani tarkemmin - Eli muuttoa edessa ja kaupunkiin on noin 10 kilometriä - Saunalahti lupasi 3/4G ja sonera 3G yhteydet - Ihan olis wlanin kautta tarkoitus verkkoa jakaa ja tosiaan ihan mokkulaa ja reititintä olisin hommaamassa - oon vaan kuullu et niissä on melko suuret pingin heittelyt.

And sorry again for everyone who cant understand this, its just that finnish slang that I cant really type in english.

But what I have heard is that up/down speed does not affect my ping that much - jitter is biggest problem.

You'r totally right, the goodput doesn't affect the ping if the bandwith is on a decent level but could be a indicator of the quality.

The problem on that mobile connections is the more longer way packages need to travel until they arrive(simplified) - so if u can find pick some finnish/swedish/norway severs and you should be fine.

Edited by Guest

You'r totally right, the goodput doesn't affect the ping if the bandwith is on a decent level but could be a indicator of the quality.

The problem on that mobile connections is the more longer way packages need to travel until they arrive(simplified) - so if u can find pick some finnish/swedish/norway severs and you should be fine.

Hey :) You dont have to simplify it for me - Im kinda expert with packet losses and ping stuff but I have no experiance with mobile connections so I decided to make this topic to see if someone else does and with what ping the game would still be playable :P

my ping is about 10-19ms most of the time on Servers in my Country.

even better in other games

Edited by Ozar

Im very sorry for everyone who dont understand finnish but im gonna write some now.

Joo :D Kiitoksia kun vaivauduit vastaamaan - Ihan suomeksi kirjoitan että saan selitettyä asiani tarkemmin - Eli muuttoa edessa ja kaupunkiin on noin 10 kilometriä - Saunalahti lupasi 3/4G ja sonera 3G yhteydet - Ihan olis wlanin kautta tarkoitus verkkoa jakaa ja tosiaan ihan mokkulaa ja reititintä olisin hommaamassa - oon vaan kuullu et niissä on melko suuret pingin heittelyt.

And sorry again for everyone who cant understand this, its just that finnish slang that I cant really type in english.

Joo on ollut mokkuloistakin kokemusta ja kyllä ne on ihan kelpovehkeitä pelaamiseenkin. On ollut usb mokkula ja myös wlan mokkula dnalta ja molemmat toiminut pelaamisessa todella hyvin. Kaikilla puhelimilla ei valitettavasti pysty jakamaan niin hyvin nettiä pelattavilla pingeillä (kokemusta on), mutta jos jaat "high end" puhelimilla niin kyllä pitäisi onnistua. Tietystikkin mokkulat ovat tarkoitettu netin jakamiseen, siksi suosittelen niitä.

Hey guys, that reminds me on the awesome Icehockey-trip in Finnland against the finnish number 2 i think. European Trophy tour.

We had a Banner what said "ITS FINNISH BUT NOT THE END" the vacation was awesome. finnish icehockey fans are awesome, will come back every time i can.

• Like 1

Hey guys, that reminds me on the awesome Icehockey-trip in Finnland against the finnish number 2 i think. European Trophy tour.

We had a Banner what said "ITS FINNISH BUT NOT THE END" the vacation was awesome. finnish icehockey fans are awesome, will come back every time i can.

Take some of dem beaanz :)

I have recently moved to actual broad band after 2 years using 3g through a tethered mobile and for the most part online gaming is very possible, below are some points from my experience :

• Location matters and I mean down to where your phone is in your house, closer to the window the better
  • Peak times are bad, I'm in the UK and from 5pm to 7pm I would get a lot of lag, before and after would be fine
  • Weekends get the highest speed
  • If you get lag outside peak times, restart your phone.
  • Bad weather effects 3G if there is storm you get lag
  • If your phone is low power, you get worse speeds, keep it fully charged
  • Tether with the USB cable, wireless drains your battery fast and gets worse speed
  • Like 1

Hopefully it will work for you. Mobile Connections can be janky.

Mobile internet is hard to predict, the best you can do is check reviews and cross your fingers.

hope it's unlimited webs or that shit is expensive

also

prepare to desync over 9000!!!!!!

your 3g stick will explode probs

Yeah, I think it will be 3G - Maybe 4G if i get extra antenna.

So you dont teleport around map and can fire your weapon without delay?

Cause that would be really frustrating :P

Sometimes I'll be shot before I even get a chance to pull the trigger but most of the time it's okay. Maybe a bit of delay when the local cell tower is overloaded at peaks time or holiday long weekends but not bad still.