Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jizz

Knife Sheaths, because Hunting will make knives matter..

I'm bringing this topic front and center because as the title suggests, when hunting is added to the game knives will finally be given their deserved respect as an essential survival tool.

I decided to install a silencer on my M4, then found a bayonet shortly after. I was forced to pass it up for shortage of inventory space. Thus I remain sans blade.   :(

A knife is the single most important tool of survival after balls.

I can honestly say I've never carried a knife in anything other than a sheath, and given the opportunity to grab one or craft one, who wouldn't? I don't think I need to explain this, so how about a knife sheath as an additional gear carrying option (similar to the chest holster), that doesn't require you to sacrifice another article of clothing or gear carrier (like the equipment vest does if you have the chest holster).

Literally a standalone, belt-dangling, 2-slot, blade holster that accepts nothing but a knife. And by 'knife' I mean the kitchen knife, hunting knife, combat knife, and M9 bayonet.

KA-BAR-Knife-2.jpg

P5200300.JPG

It would be great in the future to be able to make one from leather or other found-ingredients.  It could also bring knives to a more prominent role, perhaps a sharpener as a new loot item, and more options for knives; like one of these bad boys..

Family_kukri_002.jpg

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 18

Hopefully fixed that lower image.. kukri FTW

I'm just disappointed at how low the damage that any knife can deal is right now. Recently switched my combat knife for the M9 Bayonet and I'm waiting for knives to be fixed, they should be strong melee weapons as they can accurately punch a whole in a zombie or player. And the animation sucks now as well, I'd prefer a stab animation rather than a slash move.

I'm just disappointed at how low the damage that any knife can deal is right now. Recently switched my combat knife for the M9 Bayonet and I'm waiting for knives to be fixed, they should be strong melee weapons as they can accurately punch a whole in a zombie or player. And the animation sucks now as well, I'd prefer a stab animation rather than a slash move.

it's extremely disappointingly low, I was expecting something as strong as the pitch fork, but it took like 10 hits in a circle strafe.

• Like 1

it's extremely disappointingly low, I was expecting something as strong as the pitch fork, but it took like 10 hits in a circle strafe.

I think 2-3 hits should kill. And some kind of fast "combo" animation to simulate how versatile a knife is, unlike the cumbersome axe (which is fine the way it is now IMO, but wouldn't mind if the swing would take longer)

I agree with you.  The knife should accomplish two things as a weapon: it should ALWAYS make a player bleed and it should be capable of fatal blows in the head box (e.g. throat slash, jugular, etc.). As a side note, the Machete should be capable of decapitation (we can talk about Gibs later)

• Like 1

I agree with you.  The knife should accomplish two things as a weapon: it should ALWAYS make a player bleed and it should be capable of fatal blows in the head box (e.g. throat slash, jugular, etc.). As a side note, the Machete should be capable of decapitation (we can talk about Gibs later)

It's extremely difficult to decapacitate in combat, so I don't think it should. When you captured someone, however, I would love to see this! And you're absolutely right about the knife damage. 

It's extremely difficult to decapacitate in combat, so I don't think it should. When you captured someone, however, I would love to see this! And you're absolutely right about the knife damage. 

My thought process was directed at Zombies.. Would be VERY satisfying to truncate a pack of zombies. Especially since they're not doing much to parry or block

I mean I want to read this post and add in my thoughts, because the title had me thinking, "what a great idea!"

But then your name, OP.. and avatar..

broke meh head a bit  :huh:

• Like 1

Agreed, I've been carrying a bayonet around just because I can't picture being in a survival situation without some sort of knife.

I mean I want to read this post and add in my thoughts, because the title had me thinking, "what a great idea!"

But then your name, OP.. and avatar..

broke meh head a bit  :huh:

I'm assuming a guy with a Banksy signature has a sense of humor and rebellious nature...

So I'd love to hear your thoughts despite my tasteful choice in name   ;)

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 1

I'm assuming a guy with a Banksy signature has a sense of humor and rebellious nature...

So I'd love to hear your thoughts despite my tasteful choice in name   ;)

LOL.. yes, it is quite true your assumption ;)

Ok, well now that Ive gotten over the cup of jizz thing... :D

I really think that having Knife sheaths and gun holsters, leg holsters is something the game really needs to add in. It makes perfect sense that they should be there.. and having it show to other players how you are armed is a nice addition. Your knife on your hip, your pistol on a tactical leg holster, rifle slung over your back, melee in hand.. it brings everything together and gives a little bit more "end game" loot (as in, at first you probably will only find a backpack.. you put your pistol in that. But you may really want to eventually find a holster as you like that "look".) Having the chest holster is a great start, but I would like to see more options. And I would guess it would be very easy as they already did the chest holster, so just use that code and make a new skin?

In fact I would l really like to see the option of choosing what is on your back as well. So you can choose if you want to go with 2 firearms, or 1 and a melee. Combos like Melee and Bow and arrows, M4 and Mosin, Fireaxe and Machete, etc.. I think it would be really good to not limit the player on options, just on how much they can carry. Keep the same slots, just allow flexibility. 

Edited by lrish

Oh man, I love me a kukri. Have a Cold Steel two hander myself, that would make short work of a zed horde for sure. 

Eventually I hope they add this, even the ability to craft our own from leather once hunting hits. 

• Like 1

I think there should also be a draw bonus/delay based on bringing a pistol or melee to bear from a sheath versus a backpack or pocket.

LOL.. yes, it is quite true your assumption ;)

Ok, well now that Ive gotten over the cup of jizz thing... :D

I really think that having Knife sheaths and gun holsters, leg holsters is something the game really needs to add in. It makes perfect sense that they should be there.. and having it show to other players how you are armed is a nice addition. Your knife on your hip, your pistol on a tactical leg holster, rifle slung over your back, melee in hand.. it brings everything together and gives a little bit more "end game" loot (as in, at first you probably will only find a backpack.. you put your pistol in that. But you may really want to eventually find a holster as you like that "look".) Having the chest holster is a great start, but I would like to see more options. And I would guess it would be very easy as they already did the chest holster, so just use that code and make a new skin?

In fact I would l really like to see the option of choosing what is on your back as well. So you can choose if you want to go with 2 firearms, or 1 and a melee. Combos like Melee and Bow and arrows, M4 and Mosin, Fireaxe and Machete, etc.. I think it would be really good to not limit the player on options, just on how much they can carry. Keep the same slots, just allow flexibility. 

Exactly. And zombies should be made even more sensitive to gun fire, making it less of a no brainer to pick the sniper and CQC weapon rather than melee. You should be in a tough situation after firing a gun in a town, with loads of zombies rushing towards you 

That curved one looks a lot like a Xiphos O_O

Da frig is a Xiphos???

On knives, lemme throw them!!!!

On knives, lemme throw them!!!!

Fear not, this is coming!  B)

• Like 1

Knives and machetes need a damage buff.

I want them to be versatile, fast, and deadly against zombies. If you hit a zombie in the head with a knife, it should be dead. Stab it a few times, it should be dead. Right now, there is no reason to use a knife over an axe. There is no reason to use most melee weapons over the axe.

Really, I would use a knife in the apocalypse, as it basically has the ability to do this magical thing called STAB, which is really handy.

I'd carry a knife along with a lever action winchester, coupled with a poncho and some yellow tinted glasses.

• Like 2

Not going to use any of this anyways. If I can log in and grab a can of beans and go for an hour I'm not gonna waste time hunting until I have a semi-permanent base.

Great suggestion OP - looking forward to it as its a needed element when we get hunting in place.  I plan on going way out in the middle of nowhere and going on safari for a while when they get it all implemented.  You'll find me at the farthest points from any military installation or big city.  I'll be the one at the campfire at night, roasting that damn rabbit (finally), with a flask of hooch...  Oh wait, new must have item for my list....  :)

Oh man, I love me a kukri. Have a Cold Steel two hander myself, that would make short work of a zed horde for sure. 

Eventually I hope they add this, even the ability to craft our own from leather once hunting hits. 

now you've done it, my dayz experience will never be complete unless I get to swing large medieval two-handers at zombies/players 

could find these types of things in a museum if we had one

• Like 1