SomeCallMeNomad (DayZ)

What clothing set/weapons would you add if you could?

People might scream; "DMRs were OP in the mod, they shouldn't be included because they'll be OP here"

I agree, people hear DMR and they think DMR from the mod (as if it could never possibly be balanced in such a way as to assuage any concerns about it being "overpowered").

And the only reason I even bother deviating from my argument of DayZ being fictional (which provides for everything), is to show the folks who claim that "Western/NATO/whatever, weapons are immersion-breaking because they would/could/should never be found in Eastern Europe and/or post-Soviet countries (i.e. it's unrealistic)" how wrong they really are.

And hey, lest we forget, twelve former-Soviet or Balkan countries are now part of NATO.

Edited by Katana67

I really hope explosives are a big part of the game or at the very least they can potentially be a big part of the game all due to a in depth and complex crafting options.

Booby traps need to be a big thing to ensure base defense and area denial.

This is one of the reasons I actually would love to see a 60mm mortar of some kind in the game because the 60mm mortar rounds have so much crafting potential especially for roadside IEDs and or base defense laying wire or pressure sensitive detonators in areas heavily traveled by players.

might be a better fit.

Russian equivalent of the claymore the mon-50

Maybe, but if we're going under the assumption that the helicopter crashsites are from NATO or special operations, it may be better for the M-18 to be added. Then again, I did find an M4A1 at a police station after a server restart on 0.48, so the crashsites might just be for general rare loot like they were in the mod.

Of course, with the fact that we're eventually going to have an RGD-5 grenade alongside the M67, they might add both and put the M-18s at crashsites and MON-50s in barracks, or something like that.

They're both essentially the same thing so it doesn't really matter, but I'd think something like a claymore would deserve reservation to a crashsite.

• Like 1

Maybe, but if we're going under the assumption that the helicopter crashsites are from NATO or special operations, it may be better for the M-18 to be added. Then again, I did find an M4A1 at a police station after a server restart on 0.48, so the crashsites might just be for general rare loot like they were in the mod.

Of course, with the fact that we're eventually going to have an RGD-5 grenade alongside the M67, they might add both and put the M-18s at crashsites and MON-50s in barracks, or something like that.

They're both essentially the same thing so it doesn't really matter, but I'd think something like a claymore would deserve reservation to a crashsite.

Yeah, I mean, just having a generic "Claymore" type explosive would be fine for me. Doesn't really matter what alphabet is used on the front.

But yeah, it would be cool if there was a mix of NATO and Russian/Chernarussian helicopter crashes. Because, while I'd like to see "Western" gear as high-end stuff... I'd also like there to be some "Eastern" high end stuff as well.

Yeah, I mean, just having a generic "Claymore" type explosive would be fine for me. Doesn't really matter what alphabet is used on the front.

But yeah, it would be cool if there was a mix of NATO and Russian/Chernarussian helicopter crashes. Because, while I'd like to see "Western" gear as high-end stuff... I'd also like there to be some "Eastern" high end stuff as well.

I thought it was confirmed both types of helicopter crashes would be included.

As that would explain the mi8 crash sites.

I really want to see how they handle explosives in the finished game.

It will be interesting if they resort the explosives to being really rare or if like real life they are relatively common but instead they are balanced by their real life drawbacks.

I agree, people hear DMR and they think DMR from the mod (as if it could never possibly be balanced in such a way as to assuage any concerns about it being "overpowered").

And the only reason I even bother deviating from my argument of DayZ being fictional (which provides for everything), is to show the folks who claim that "Western/NATO/whatever, weapons are immersion-breaking because they would/could/should never be found in Eastern Europe and/or post-Soviet countries (i.e. it's unrealistic)" how wrong they really are.

And hey, lest we forget, twelve former-Soviet or Balkan countries are now part of NATO.

Yeah - including the Czech Republic, one of Chernarus' biggest design influences. Not to mention that the Czech Republic was heavily influenced by NATO long before the end of the Cold War because of the heat that would eventually result in Slovakia and the Czech Republic splitting.

And let's also not forget that most of the weapons ingame are Eastern European, or simply ones that are internationally common (like the MP5 and M4A1). The only guns you can really say stand out are:

• The FNX-45, but the FNP series of pistols is quite popular as is, and we don't know how far in the future DayZ takes place, so it's very possible they became common. And they were in ArmA 3, so assuming DayZ followed the same timeline until the infection, it's logical to assume that NATO might've just started procuring them.
  • The Amphibia. You probably wouldn't find as many as you do in DayZ, but it's certainly possible SEALs went on covert ops during ArmA 2 and possibly post-apocalypse and left them behind. That, and Rugers are popular all over the place, so they might've just picked this one for gameplay reasons.

I won't comment on strictly civilian weapons because it's not fair to say no one in Chernarus would've saved up money and bought expensive firearms. In fact, it's actually something you see all over the place with people who make under average amounts of money, they buy expensive stuff to show off.

And that's just assuming everyone in Chernarus is poor, even though there are clearly plenty of people who make a good amount of money and would've lived comfortably at the worst.

I thought it was confirmed both types of helicopter crashes would be included.

As that would explain the mi8 crash sites.

I really want to see how they handle explosives in the finished game.

It will be interesting if they resort the explosives to being really rare or if like real life they are relatively common but instead they are balanced by their real life drawbacks.

The Mi-8s were just re-used from ArmA 2 and placed around the map at specific spots, but they do spawn some low-end loot. I wouldn't mind if they (and maybe any random Eastern/CDF chopper crash) were the only place for the ZSH-3 pilot helmets, so you'd still have some incentive to go look into them (and the fact that finding pilot helmets in military barracks is just odd) But they did add those random wrecked V3S Command trucks, so maybe they're the current equivalent of some Eastern crashsite.

I don't think regular explosives like hand grenades warrant being super rare, since using them effectively is not too easy when you're not playing against large groups of enemies, like in ArmA. I don't think you should be finding them everywhere, but a few now or then would be cool.

Special types of weapons, like Claymores, or remotely detonated explosives, like C4, could probably be much rarer. The same goes for rocket launchers, like the RPG-7 or M72 LAW, since you have pretty good control over where you're going to hit.

That's true, it doesn't really matter.

I was actually fairly surprised when I saw that the RGD-5 was in the files, because I don't see how it's really going to make a difference over the M67. All it really adds is more variety, but I'm okay with that, especially because a hand grenade is a small prop that doesn't take terribly long to model.

Maybe the M67 will be made rare for simple unique factor, or perhaps they have plans for doing more splitting up of Eastern and Western stuff. Who knows?

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I was actually fairly surprised when I saw that the RGD-5 was in the files, because I don't see how it's really going to make a difference over the M67. All it really adds is more variety, but I'm okay with that, especially because a hand grenade is a small prop that doesn't take terribly long to model.

Maybe the M67 will be made rare for simple unique factor, or perhaps they have plans for doing more splitting up of Eastern and Western stuff. Who knows?

My money is on it being a placeholder. But I'm marginally sure that the flashbang and frag grenade that we have now, are all-new models.

Could be way off, they could be ARMA III models for all I know.

My money is on it being a placeholder. But I'm marginally sure that the flashbang and frag grenade that we have now, are all-new models.

Could be way off, they could be ARMA III models for all I know.

I don't remember there being flashbangs in ArmA 3, but I haven't played in a while so I don't know.

The RGD-5 is a new model, though, it wasn't in before the new update.

• Like 1

I don't think we should have every weapon that exists, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, were it actually (reasonably) possible to make detailed models of every firearm ever made.

Well the thing is, that DayZ SA had/has a chance to become unique game set in harsh post-communistic Eastern country ravaged by zombies.

Now when everybody will run around with fully pimped out M4, FN Scar or God forbigs golden Desert Eagles, this game will become something else.  Also poor country is not really place where you would expect tons of hi-tech weapons lying everywhere, eastern weapons should be prevalent since if the country is former member of Warsaw pact, it would have appropriate weapon systems, be it AK's or local variations using the same ammo (Beryl, Sa Vz.58, Zastava etc).

I see you mentioned Czech republic, place where I lived my whole life. I can tell you that weapon-wise, our republic was not heavily influenced by NATO, certainly not before 1989 where communist reqime was overthrown. Even after that, bulk of armament of our army consisted of Samopal vz.58 in 7.62x39 caliber and LMG vz.59 using 7,62x54R and SVD Dragunovs. Only years after change or regime the army bought few dozens of NATO weapons (M4's,  m249, M107) but these are highly non standard and in vast minority. It is not hard to imagine why, such weapons costs a lot of money, which is something that many eastern countries do not have in overabundance. In 2010 Czech army bought around 200 FN minimis in 7,62x51 and in the same year, our arms factory in Uhersky Brod introduced Bren 805 in various calibers (5.56x45 foremost) which is being adopted by army, to replace aging but trusty vz.58

Now we know, from single not very complex reddit post of Scubaman, that there were NATO forces in this area.

Ok, this makes M4 and other US Army stuff plausible. Still I think it should be a lot more rare, same for it's ammo.

Personally I don't see much of value in adding say Sten or Tommy gun. Yes it looks distinctive, but is the quallity of this game really dependant on having every weapon there is? Also when 3d folks do not have time to introduce existing rifles with duct taped flashlights it most likely mean, they have ton of stuff to do first.

Katana67 mentioned, that people should have the right to chose. Hell yes, but only WITHIN the given settings.

When I'm playing Battlefield 4, do I need to be given choice to fire medieval crossbow or laser cannon?

Is really watering down specific setting od DayZ SA good thing?  Do we really need every weapon there is?

Is it not better to be pressed to make hard choices, like if I will carry Mosin or CZ527 instead of chosing between carrying golden Desert Eagle with Lapua Magnum sniper rifle or Cheytac M200?

There is really enough FPS games offering most of the modern weapons and even some obscure ones.

Games which allows you to make your rifle the best tacticool instrument of mass destruction.

I simply don't see why DayZ SA should become one of them....

p.s. I don't see harm in having say FN Fal or Garand in game, provided it's not tossed around every corner. Still I do not agree with "let's add everything that shoot" mentality when talking about Standalone.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

i want to craft stuff like that

article-2294356-18B5B153000005DC-992_634

Oh yeah. We need to be able to wear animal-skins as some kind of trophy and useful clothing, too.

True-Grit-Bear-on-a-horse.jpga3e0f5952d82a98a71b43f4a127ee4e2a2f20fb3

and fur hats and vets

Img-0.jpgconan_08.jpg

and some kind of "overcoat" or vest, too

gravet33.jpgconan-the-barbarian-61.jpg

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

I really want to see REAL American/NATO uniforms. We already have several gorka uniforms and TTsKO uniforms. It would be nice to see some rare uniforms spawn at crash sites.

Well the thing is, that DayZ SA had/has a chance to become unique game set in harsh post-communistic Eastern country ravaged by zombies.

Now when everybody will run around with fully pimped out M4, FN Scar or God forbigs golden Desert Eagles, this game will become something else.  Also poor country is not really place where you would expect tons of hi-tech weapons lying everywhere, eastern weapons should be prevalent since if the country is former member of Warsaw pact, it would have appropriate weapon systems, be it AK's or local variations using the same ammo (Beryl, Sa Vz.58, Zastava etc).

I see you mentioned Czech republic, place where I lived my whole life. I can tell you that weapon-wise, our republic was not heavily influenced by NATO, certainly not before 1989 where communist reqime was overthrown. Even after that, bulk of armament of our army consisted of Samopal vz.58 in 7.62x39 caliber and LMG vz.59 using 7,62x54R and SVD Dragunovs. Only years after change or regime the army bought few dozens of NATO weapons (M4's,  m249, M107) but these are highly non standard and in vast minority. It is not hard to imagine why, such weapons costs a lot of money, which is something that many eastern countries do not have in overabundance. In 2010 Czech army bought around 200 FN minimis in 7,62x51 and in the same year, our arms factory in Uhersky Brod introduced Bren 805 in various calibers (5.56x45 foremost) which is being adopted by army, to replace aging but trusty vz.58

Now we know, from single not very complex reddit post of Scubaman, that there were NATO forces in this area.

Ok, this makes M4 and other US Army stuff plausible. Still I think it should be a lot more rare, same for it's ammo.

Personally I don't see much of value in adding say Sten or Tommy gun. Yes it looks distinctive, but is the quallity of this game really dependant on having every weapon there is? Also when 3d folks do not have time to introduce existing rifles with duct taped flashlights it most likely mean, they have ton of stuff to do first.

Katana67 mentioned, that people should have the right to chose. Hell yes, but only WITHIN the given settings.

When I'm playing Battlefield 4, do I need to be given choice to fire medieval crossbow or laser cannon?

Is really watering down specific setting od DayZ SA good thing?  Do we really need every weapon there is?

Is it not better to be pressed to make hard choices, like if I will carry Mosin or CZ527 instead of chosing between carrying golden Desert Eagle with Lapua Magnum sniper rifle or Cheytac M200?

There is really enough FPS games offering most of the modern weapons and even some obscure ones.

Games which allows you to make your rifle the best tacticool instrument of mass destruction.

p.s. I don't see harm in having say FN Fal or Garand in game, provided it's not tossed around every corner. Still I do not agree with "let's add everything that shoot" mentality when talking about Standalone.

Have my fazole, my good man! :P

• Like 1

Now when everybody will run around with fully pimped out M4, FN Scar or God forbigs golden Desert Eagles, this game will become something else. Also poor country is not really place where you would expect tons of hi-tech weapons lying everywhere, eastern weapons should be prevalent since if the country is former member of Warsaw pact, it would have appropriate weapon systems, be it AK's or local variations using the same ammo (Beryl, Sa Vz.58, Zastava etc).

I see you mentioned Czech republic, place where I lived my whole life. I can tell you that weapon-wise, our republic was not heavily influenced by NATO, certainly not before 1989 where communist reqime was overthrown. Even after that, bulk of armament of our army consisted of Samopal vz.58 in 7.62x39 caliber and LMG vz.59 using 7,62x54R and SVD Dragunovs. Only years after change or regime the army bought few dozens of NATO weapons (M4's, m249, M107) but these are highly non standard and in vast minority. It is not hard to imagine why, such weapons costs a lot of money, which is something that many eastern countries do not have in overabundance. In 2010 Czech army bought around 200 FN minimis in 7,62x51 and in the same year, our arms factory in Uhersky Brod introduced Bren 805 in various calibers (5.56x45 foremost) which is being adopted by army, to replace aging but trusty vz.58

Is really watering down specific setting od DayZ SA good thing? Do we really need every weapon there is?

I don't think it's any different adding western weapons than eastern weapons. In a game, the only difference is the appearance, otherwise they're all just .p3d files attached to our character models that can shoot.

As I told you, I'd rather have a Sterling than a Sten

And the Czech Republic may be modernizing today, but DayZ quite clearly takes place at some point I the future, so would it not be logical to suggest that Chernarus is modernizing too?

As long weapons are accordingly rare, there's nothing wrong with them being added

• Like 1

Now when everybody will run around with fully pimped out M4, FN Scar or God forbigs golden Desert Eagles, this game will become something else.

1. Well, you start by highlighting a different issue. Rarity. You don't want everyone running around with a fully pimped out M4/SCAR? Fine! Make them rare. Don't categorically rule out their presence at all. This is always where people go. "I don't want everyone running around with the latest railed golden Barrett M107!"

Errr... okay... then make it rare, so everyone isn't running around with it.

2. Stating that DayZ plays off of ARMA II's background doesn't require a "complex" statement.

3. The problem is, that some draw the bar insanely low with what constitutes something that's "plausible." Yes, choosing within the given settings. And we're debating what should be those given settings. One side wants to restrict the given settings, one side wants (or just doesn't have an issue with doing so) to broaden them.

4. That and I don't consider having a variety of weapons to be "watering down" anything. I consider it to be making the weapon lineup more robust and various. And again, you're muddling rarity with the mere presence of a weapon. I won't have to choose between an M200 or a Mosin most of the time if I only come across one every month.

That and there's FAR more to the setting than the weapons. Acting as if the weapons are somehow the cornerstone of making or breaking "the setting" is just sort of insulting to the rest of the game.

5. Having something in the game, doesn't automatically mean that everyone will have it. Hence why we have rarity. And hence why not everyone has an M4A1 currently.

6. Ironically, the notion of something being "tacticool" means that it has no purpose other than being "cool". Making something "tacticool" in order to make it an "instrument of mass destruction" (i.e. better/powerful) is a contradiction. You can't have something be simultaneously better, and "only for show." So you're either misusing "tacticool" (vitriolically in the first place, I might add) or you're contradicting yourself.

Edited by Katana67

A messenger bag 8 slot, coloured, OD, black

Making backpacks uncommon and rare to find and force players to choose wisely what to bring with them

Edited by GunnyITA

M40 would make more sense seeing Operation Harvest Red only had Marine involvement.

Im cool with anything that adds some new high end sniper guns besides the SVD.

Some high end police weapon love besides just the standard pistols, shotguns,rifles and the rare occasional SMG would be nifty.

High end equipment is fine if its reasonably rare, hard to maintain and comes with appropiate downsides. For example a .50 cal sniper should be a pretty bad choice for anything but well planned long range shots and both the weapon, the attachments and ammo should be very hard to find.

The M24 could work as a crash site sniper rifle - very rare with rare ammo (.308 Winchester) but not quite "ultra-rare". Like the M4 to the AK's.

Yep... DayZ needs this too.

Got virtually all of those items on my list. And they are far from the silliest suggestions (actually this clothing set makes sense given the setting).

In fact thats probably something I would make my victims/prisoners wear if I was a bandit. And I can see some roleplayer picking them up as well. Fear the mighty ballerina death squad!

Edited by Evil Minion

High end equipment is fine if its reasonably rare, hard to maintain and comes with appropiate downsides. For example a .50 cal sniper should be a pretty bad choice for anything but well planned long range shots and both the weapon, the attachments and ammo should be very hard to find.

The M24 could work as a crash site sniper rifle - very rare with rare ammo (.308 Winchester) but not quite "ultra-rare". Like the M4 to the AK's.

Got virtually all of those items on my list. And they are far from the silliest suggestions (actually this clothing set makes sense given the setting).

In fact thats probably something I would make my victims/prisoners wear if I was a bandit. And I can see some roleplayer picking them up as well. Fear the mighty ballerina death squad!

I don't know about making the M24 a crashsite weapon, the M24 wouldn't really be any different performance wise than the Mosin is now (before 7.62x54mmR and .308 become separate). In fact, besides optics and the ATLAS bipod, the M24 wouldn't really have that many attachments. I'd say it could just be a rarer military spawn or possibly police station spawn, it doesn't really warrant being a super high-end rifle.

Also, I believe the M4A1 is now spawning back at regular bases, I found a pristine M4A1 with no attachments (as they spawn) at a police station, and it doesn't appear to have been dropped, since I was the East Coast, far from any crash sites. (Not to mention on a 12 player server)

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I don't know about making the M24 a crashsite weapon, the M24 wouldn't really be any different performance wise than the Mosin is now (before 7.62x54mmR and .308 become separate). In fact, besides optics and the ATLAS bipod, the M24 wouldn't really have that many attachments. I'd say it could just be a rarer military spawn or possibly police station spawn, it doesn't really warrant being a super high-end rifle.

Also, I believe the M4A1 is now spawning back at regular bases, I found a pristine M4A1 with no attachments (as they spawn) at a police station, and it doesn't appear to have been dropped, since I was the East Coast, far from any crash sites. (Not to mention on a 12 player server)

They could remove the LRS from the mosin and then it would warrant the m24 being a crash site weapon.

Also has this been suggested yet ?

Replica_Uzi.jpg

The Uzi a great no frills no nonsense submachinegun in 9mm that has such an iconic history.

I agree. Which is why I think dedicated sniper rifles should be chambered in a specific round (like .300 WM or .338 LM).

Aside from modularity (which isn't even accurate, the developers can make the Mosin as modular as they wish) the M24/700/M40 wouldn't really be much different from a Mosin.

Removing the LRS from the Mosin would be a good start, if they were to keep it in .308. But I'd rather they add a dedicated sniper rifle round, so that sniper rifles can actually be distinct from their more common and general-purpose counterparts (like the Mosin).

I agree. Which is why I think dedicated sniper rifles should be chambered in a specific round (like .300 WM or .338 LM).

Aside from modularity (which isn't even accurate, the developers can make the Mosin as modular as they wish) the M24/700/M40 wouldn't really be much different from a Mosin.

Removing the LRS from the Mosin would be a good start, if they were to keep it in .308. But I'd rather they add a dedicated sniper rifle round, so that sniper rifles can actually be distinct from their more common and general-purpose counterparts (like the Mosin).

.308 is a dedicated sniper round.

What they could do is have two different types of .308 rounds, general bulk mil surp .308 that is accurate enough and match ammo that is rarer and is far more accurate.

They could remove the LRS from the mosin and then it would warrant the m24 being a crash site weapon.

Also has this been suggested yet ?

Replica_Uzi.jpg

The Uzi a great no frills no nonsense submachinegun in 9mm that has such an iconic history.

Uzi is a must have

.308 is a dedicated sniper round.

What they could do is have two different types of .308 rounds, general bulk mil surp .308 that is accurate enough and match ammo that is rarer and is far more accurate.

There are a lot of general .308 weapons, though. What he's saying is that there should be dedicated rounds for dedicated sniper platforms so that regular rifles can be distinct, and we can have them without screwing up the gameplay. Otherwise, guns like the Blaze will be pointless because you have to use a round that's rare for sniper rifles.

• Like 1