Sebidee

Can you tell the direction which fire is coming from?

After a certain distance you can't even hear the gunshot.

After a certain distance you can't even hear the gunshot.

Yes, that is how sound works genius .... I heard you can't see what's on the opposite side of a mountain from you either.

Edited by Weedz

*Directs attention to post above this one...

To be honest, though, get a really good headset WITH surround sound. $20 Turtle Beaches won't cut it. If you really want to be good at DayZ, like Frankie, you need to spend at least $60 on a headset, and that's even on a budget. $100-$150 average, and $200+ for stellar pin-point sound. Good luck mate.

Surround sound headsets are a gimmick unless they are the real expensive kind with like 5 speakers in each side positioned correctly

Yes, that is how sound works genius .... I heard you can't see what's on the opposite side of a mountain from you either.

Nice reading comprehension genius. DayZ is more like 200+ feet and you hear no shot. Next time you want to be an asshat and act condescendingly stick your head up your fucking ass and proceed.

Hi Seribee

I noticed your first person thread. It is harder in fpv to scope out where the attackers shot came from, but you can use this to your advantage.

Yes, good headphones is a must. As others pointed out, gaming headphones are not necessarily the best for gaming. They usually are quite cheap to build, and market them real well.

Compare in the shops mate first hand. My ears are different to yours and so on. Try a pair of Sony or Senheisers, at the same price point as turtle beach or similar. It is crazy when you find out the difference in quality. Although, the better your headphones, the better your sound card will be needed to drive them.

My other point, try and focus on smoke clearing from the gun after a shot has rung out. This has helped me pick out the direction quicker than the unreliable sound of bullets.

Good luck mate

use 7.1 headset and you will hear where gunshots is coming from, its really a advantage. 

use 7.1 headset and you will hear where gunshots is coming from, its really a advantage.

No need for surround headset, determine where gunshots come from works with stereo as good as 7.1

Edited by Guest

Good headphones dont really help.. Neither with my Sennheiser nor my Philips X1 headphones (with a creative X-Fi soundcard) i get similarly good positioning as in almost any other game i tried.

Firstly, anyone saying you need to buy 7.1 headphones should be ignored. Surround sound headphones are a gimmick and a con. You have two ears, it doesnt matter how many speakers are in either side of a pair of headphones, that doesn't change the fact your brain calculates the location of the source of a sound through the time delay of a sound hitting either ear. go figure.

As far as how easy/hard it is to pinpoint where gunfire is coming from.. if it's constant gunfire, ie. some kind of standoff between two people with m4s or something, it's incredibly easy to work out which direction it's coming from by just spinning around. However if you're trying to pinpoint the location of a single shot, it's obviously gonna be incredibly difficult... without multiple shots to confirm you're looking in the right/wrong direction, it's all pretty much guess work. That isn't an issue with the headphones you're using, or even the sound engine of the game, it's just the nature of hearing sounds from two sound sources (two speakers/headphones). The only real solution is a proper surround sound speaker set up but I don't even know if the game supports that.

• Like 1

I can, but I have a great trick for finding it out perfecty.

Swap your Left and Right speakers around, when you hear a shot in each speaker you know it is coming from the opposite side.

Simples

*Directs attention to post above this one...

To be honest, though, get a really good headset WITH surround sound. $20 Turtle Beaches won't cut it. If you really want to be good at DayZ, like Frankie, you need to spend at least $60 on a headset, and that's even on a budget. $100-$150 average, and $200+ for stellar pin-point sound. Good luck mate.

I assume you haven't watched frankies home video where he shows that the "headset" is 2 earbuds for like 5$ ?

Edited by Plankt0n

I am able to tell which direction shots are coming from, most of the time. That is if I hear them lol

This, pretty much.

I can pinpoint where they're coming from as long as they aren't silent. Can't wait til that's fixed...

This, pretty much.

I can pinpoint where they're coming from as long as they aren't silent. Can't wait til that's fixed...

If you were Frankie good you could even hear those!

Firstly, anyone saying you need to buy 7.1 headphones should be ignored. Surround sound headphones are a gimmick and a con. You have two ears, it doesnt matter how many speakers are in either side of a pair of headphones, that doesn't change the fact your brain calculates the location of the source of a sound through the time delay of a sound hitting either ear. go figure.

As far as how easy/hard it is to pinpoint where gunfire is coming from.. if it's constant gunfire, ie. some kind of standoff between two people with m4s or something, it's incredibly easy to work out which direction it's coming from by just spinning around. However if you're trying to pinpoint the location of a single shot, it's obviously gonna be incredibly difficult... without multiple shots to confirm you're looking in the right/wrong direction, it's all pretty much guess work. That isn't an issue with the headphones you're using, or even the sound engine of the game, it's just the nature of hearing sounds from two sound sources (two speakers/headphones). The only real solution is a proper surround sound speaker set up but I don't even know if the game supports that.

Ya surround headset work real fine.

It is either virtual surround where the sound is processed and certain elements are delayed/sped up so your brain cretaes the surround.

Or there are more and differently positioned speakers in the earpiece that can easily told apart.

Please go online buy one of these for example:

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=41A3&pid=27063&paus=1

and then just test the surround in windows/system/sound (you know when the sound is played "front left", "center", "front right")

It works.

On the other hand sound in Dayz SA is bugged like hell so it does not matter which soundcard/headsets sometimes you will not hear a shot

across the street.

Edited by Rauchsauger

I can tell you all from experience that the sounds in DayZ SA are screwed up.. I've done experiments on them with friends, and have video evidence of sounds coming from places other than the origin of the shot, as well as sounds not being registered at all by certain people, while being registered accurately by others.

It's pretty much a crap shoot at this point.

Don't go out buying 500 dollar headphones because of DayZ.. Not worth it. A 30-80 dollar set of headphones is just fine for DayZ.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

It is either virtual surround where the sound is processed and certain elements are delayed/sped up so your brain cretaes the surround.

Or there are more and differently positioned speakers in the earpiece that can easily told apart.

and then just test the surround in windows/system/sound (you know when the sound is played "front left", "center", "front right")

It works.

On the other hand sound in Dayz SA is bugged like hell so it does not matter which soundcard/headsets sometimes you will not hear a shot

across the street.

It doesn't matter how many speakers are built into a pair of headphones, or how they are positioned, with all of the sound sources within an inch of your ear, it's still going to be perceived as stereo. And listening to the surround sound tests which tell you which speaker or direction you are hearing (front left, rear right etc.) introduced such an enormous placebo. In a blind test with sound coming from "front left" and "rear left", you would honestly struggle to hear any difference at all. Without trying to sound like a pretentious knob; trust me, I have a degree in audio engineering. If there's one thing that annoys me more than anything else, it's misinformation regarding sound.

/offtopic

Edited by philjksn
  • Like 2

The problem with dayz sounds right now is that, when a sound started playing behind you, and you turn around, the sound still appears to be playing behind you until it is over playing

i hope this gets fixed, since in arma 2 dayz this was not the case

edit:

sound is REALLY important in these realistical military shooters, but it's one of the most buggy things right now in the game

you guys know what i mean, random hearing zombies sound pieces, or eating/drinking/stacking ammo

really annoying

right now SA is worse than the mod functionality-wise

Edited by Zombo

It works.

No thanks I'll stick with my over 10 year old 10$ neodymium magnet amazing bass stereo Sony headset over your $200 gimmick headset from some random German company I've never heard of that is so bad it doesn't even list their actual specs anywhere and instead use things like feel deep basses as their technical specs.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter how many speakers are built into a pair of headphones, or how they are positioned, with all of the sound sources within an inch of your ear, it's still going to be perceived as stereo. And listening to the surround sound tests which tell you which speaker or direction you are hearing (front left, rear right etc.) introduced such an enormous placebo. In a blind test with sound coming from "front left" and "rear left", you would honestly struggle to hear any difference at all. Without trying to sound like a pretentious knob; trust me, I have a degree in audio engineering. If there's one thing that annoys me more than anything else, it's misinformation regarding sound.

/offtopic

Which surround headsets do you own?

Also there is a article about the medusas and the surround by toms hardware (and that was back in 2005)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/headsets-gamers-love,1077-2.html

Please understand that I won't trust your word when I experience something very different and you did not in any way qualify what you said.

Edited by Rauchsauger

Probably none. His point was the surround sound headphones are a gimmick to be more expensive. The sound is coming from 1/2 an inch away from your ear no matter which speaker it's playing out of not 50 feet to your front right or 72 feet to your back left. You're brain is doing all the work still and you're not getting any different effect than you would with stereo headphones. Humans hear in stereo not 5.1 surround sound your brain places the location based pretty much on how long it takes for the sound to reach each ear.

You have 4 little shitty cheap speakers in each ear I have 1 big one with a way better magnet system. This is like you putting 8 little low-quality tweeters in the back of your car thinking it's going to be as cool as my giant subwoofer.

Edited by Weedz

standard 2.1 stereo headphones will give better positioning than fake 5.1 or 7.1 all built in gaming sets.

i use beyerdynamic DT 990 premium, but my soundcard gives me 7.1 virtual surrorund sound. much better quality than trying to ram 7 tiny speakers into an earphone- thats crap.

• Like 1

I don't, but what I do have is an actual understanding of how your ears perceive sound.

One of my coursemates conducted his dissertation on surround sound headphones (specifically relating to anechoic audio) and in blind tests found subjects genuinely couldn't hear a difference between stereo headphones and "surround sound" headphones. It's as much a con as gold plated HDMI cables are.

Every time I play Arma 3 I wish, that DayZ SA had sounds like that. I mean I can tell from where ppl are shooting, shots sound are done nicely, well it's night and day. Anyway as good Devs said, the sound polish will come as a last thing to do, so I guess we just have to wait.

• Like 1

Probably none. His point was the surround sound headphones are a gimmick to be more expensive. The sound is coming from 1/2 an inch away from your ear no matter which speaker it's playing out of not 50 feet to your front right or 72 feet to your back left. You're brain is doing all the work still and you're not getting any different effect than you would with stereo headphones. Humans hear in stereo not 5.1 surround sound your brain places the location based pretty much on how long it takes for the sound to reach each ear.

You have 4 little shitty cheap speakers in each ear I have 1 big one with a way better magnet system. This is like you putting 8 little low-quality tweeters in the back of your car thinking it's going to be as cool as my giant subwoofer.

As stated above:

So please If you have something to say other than your rather annoying and subjective personal opinion please qualify.

I don't, but what I do have is an actual understanding of how your ears perceive sound.

One of my coursemates conducted his dissertation on surround sound headphones (specifically relating to anechoic audio) and in blind tests found subjects genuinely couldn't hear a difference between stereo headphones and "surround sound" headphones. It's as much a con as gold plated HDMI cables are.

This dissertation is not by any chance published or available?

As I pointed out to Weedz above have a look at the review by tom'sHardware it is working!

Positioning is slightly offset, as is to be expected in a headset, since you cannot have speakers placed directly in front of you with a headset but it is not noticeable unless you are switching between a 5.1 headset and a 5.1 speaker system for comparison. The bass on the headphones, as with the 5.1 USB, is loud, and we'd recommend testing the volume without the headphones on the ears to avoid bursting anything... when in optimal operation, however, these headphones will rock your head in the best way possible.

With music the headphones picked up on many of the subtleties of tracks that many headsets miss. The same held true for games where the sensitivity of the headphones combined with the excellent positional awareness they provide gives you an excellent audible perception of the world around you.

Is a surround speaker system better? It sure is! But that does not mean that surround headset do not work at all.

And if you live with your family or have your own you need to compromise and surround headsets (maybe not all) are a valid compromise.

(I have a 7.1 surround speaker system, a soundbar "surround" system (that I dont like), a virtual surround headset (laptop), and several Medusa headsets since I stick to them since nearly 10 years. So I can compare)

Edited by Rauchsauger

As stated above:

So please If you have something to say other than your rather annoying and subjective personal opinion please qualify.

This dissertation is not by any chance published or available?

As I pointed out to Weedz above have a look at the review by tom'sHardware it is working!

Is a surround speaker system better? It sure is! But that does not mean that surround headset do not work at all.

And if you live with your family or have your own you need to compromise and surround headsets (maybe not all) are a valid compromise.

Hardly a subjective opinion when I spent 3 years studying the subject, but okay.

And that review doesn't really comment on how well the "5.1" aspect of the headphones work, it just says they are a good pair of headphones, which I imagine they may well be, but can they reproduce real 3D sound better than a pair of stereo headphones? nope.

You obviously really like your excessively expensive "surround sound" headphones, and have been sucked in by the placebo effect of knowing the headphones have more speakers which obviously means they are better, so I'm just gonna leave you to it.

Edited by philjksn
  • Like 1