swingbr

What I have been relegated to...

Note, if you do not like to read, skip down to the underlined words if you want the gist of what I'm saying.

I remember during the early days of the mod when everyone held hands together and sang Kumbaya; the sharing of beans was a commonality, and road flares were used as a main source of light in the night.

But then the mod got hugely popular and the game that I loved and cherished turned into a crapstorm of KoS and Banditry. Am I complaining about bandits? Hell no. Bandits are what make the game fun. They're the reason why we "trust no one" in Chernarus.

Back to the standalone, present day...

There aren't any friendly people anymore. All I see whenever I join a fairly populated server, are people who KoS and in my opinion, act like cowards. There is a mentality of shoot first and chat later.

I was hopeful at the start of the standalone. People actually talked - communicated and at least were honorable about the killing. Or, they robbed you and let you go. Nowadays, all I see are bandits who don't even have the courtesy of letting people go. Storytime...

I was in Cherno, near one of the tech buildings (the 4 or 5 story building right on the docks/water with 2 long hallways in it and a lobby with chairs when you enter), and I overheard someone getting held up. He was a decently geared guy - he had a backpack and an axe, they were guys with M4s. It wasn't long before 1 shot from an M4 killed him, while his hands were up. Now, I did not have much ammo in my M4, only a 20 round magazine that I had picked up at the Construction Building in Cherno (yes, mags do spawn there occasionally), and I would've saved the guy if I had more ammo. I didn't want to use the only bullets I had on a couple of people who were just playing the game (I also didn't have a good firing solution on both of them so although I might've been able to take out one, I would've had trouble taking out the other).

And from then on, all of the people that I have encountered have all been hostile. Even the fresh spawns make a run at you.

Skip here if you want to get to the point:

My point is, I miss the game where people talked with each other - where bandits rob people and the "heroes" come to the rescue. Heck, the only communication that I ever get now are douchebags who yell obscenities and laugh about how I'm dead and they're not. Pretty fair when you're an unarmed fresh spawn and they're guys with military weapons. I miss the player interaction and the whole "human" aspect of the game. Most of all, I miss gearing up on more populated servers.

The only way that I'm able to gear up now is to log onto an unpopulated server and loot. It's been about a month since I've been able to get military weapons without getting killed on a populated server, and it's ticking me off. Am I being pretty stupid by playing on populated servers and expecting different results? Maybe. But forgive me if I want to have a game that's more than a mindless shooter, and much more like a simulation. Forgive me if I want to have an environment where people at least engage one another in an intelligent manner instead of the dull alternative.

For all of you who act in a shoot first, communicate later mentality, thanks. You've wasted a ton of my time and you've relegated me to gearing up on low pops now. Thanks for making it impossible to have an interesting gameplay experience by one's self.

Feel free to poke fun at me, yell at how dumb I am, or whatever comes to mind. This is general discussion, so...

Edited by swingbr
  • Like 11

I know how you feel, I also miss that "friendly" aspect the mod had, in SA it only lasted a week, in fact the few friendly encouters I had in SA were during that week. One time I met this guy in a random house in berezino, we both were looking for a can opener and we talked a bit. Next time I met this group of 4-5 bambis when I respawned, we traveled together to elektro while sharing thoughs on the game. And thats it. All its left now is KoS or get handcuffed > get harasses by internet badass > force feed rotten kiwi > die.

• Like 1

It's funny. I'm not asking for people to sit there and stop their banditry, all I'm asking is for the courtesy to make things interesting. The phrase, "give them what they want" comes to mind. It's just too bad that there isn't anything that we can do about it at this moment, at least in a widespread sense.

There is nothing to do except deathmatch right now. It will change.

And see, I believe that's naïve thinking. Yes, I know. This is a zombie game with practically no zombies (or zombies that aren't consequential yet), and yes, it's wishful thinking to think that people on the internet aren't twits, but I wish a majority of the community would at least just say something like "don't move" and wait for an answer.

Here's how I did things before everything became stupid - if I asked someone to put their hands up, they had 2 options. Put their hands up, or yell that they didn't know how. Otherwise, they were dead.

You know something? That last comment got me thinking, and I just realized something.

Without a way to combat log, this is why people KoS on sight now. A lot of times, people that I held up would just log. Take away a douche's only "defense" and he goes into full douchebag, KoS mode. What do you think?

Edited by swingbr

Personally I would rather die by a bullet, than have some snotty kid handcuff me just because he is playing with two other friends. Sometimes it pays off just to run, shooting a moving target isn't easy. I had this done to me, I had nothing , freshly spawned, starving, surrounded by three players fully armed, and they want to handcuff me, among them was a player who could phase in and out all around me. Wanted to have fun with me, I can't complain about this, as there are sickos in real life willing to do the same, so can't say this game isn't realistic. I ran into the sea, they fired at me from the shore, missing.

Personally I would rather die by a bullet, than have some snotty kid handcuff me just because he is playing with two other friends. Sometimes it pays off just to run, shooting a moving target isn't easy. I had this done to me, I had nothing , freshly spawned, starving, surrounded by three players fully armed, and they want to handcuff me, among them was a player who could phase in and out all around me. Wanted to have fun with me, I can't complain about this, as there are sickos in real life willing to do the same, so can't say this game isn't realistic. I ran into the sea, they fired at me from the shore, missing.

Well see, whenever I get sickos who do that, I just log. But, I've only come across someone like that once, and I had a couple of friends on. Let's just say it didn't end well for them.

I just downloaded the experimental to try and see some of the new items.

Then I realized that loot spawning is still not fixed, and once one person has hit the hot spots in the newly restarted server - everyone is resorted to running around with nothing to essentially play for.

So In turn everyone just wants to kill anyone they see; to check if they have something they might need. They have no incentive not to kill.

Whenever they fix loot, and add persistent sources of storing gear - the game will be a little different of an experience.

The attitude of the community as a whole I don't think will change until there is something significant to play for, something like a vehicle or parts for a base.

Edited by Strongtent

Swingbr you are more then welcome at our server, we are currently around Elektro for the next two and half week.

We do not KoS.

• Like 1

I agree entirely, honestly at this point I've stopped trying to interact with any groups at all. I'll try to help bambi's and new players just scavenging, but I'm extremely wary of anyone else at all.

Swingbr you are more then welcome at our server, we are currently around Elektro for the next two and half week.

We do not KoS.

Server IP?

Edited by swingbr

Am I being pretty stupid by playing on populated servers and expecting different results? Maybe.

No you arent. Its pretty much KoS in all situation these days, this is caused by boredom and lack of game mechanics that will force players to play different. The Zeds changes today are a good start.

I feel ya man. I can't even hold someone up anymore. They try their luck, and they end up dead. Man, I'm behind you with a gun pointed at you, I tell you not to move, and drop the gun you drop the gun and put your hands up. But, since people KoS they just assume they're dead anyway so, go out guns a blazing. Doesn't work, and I just put 1 in their head before they can turn around, make me kind of sad. 

I don't really even bother holding people up anymore. Just bang bang, clean shot, and loot what you got.

I remember when I first played the mod I had been running for 15 minutes because I ran out of ammo and had 8 to 10 infected behind me. I got stuck in a field and they caught up. I took a bunch of damage and got knocked out. When woke up a guy was firing an M4 and fighting back the infected and trying to save me. I bled out before he could bandage me up but he tried his ass off to save me. I miss the players like that.

That dude is still my DayZ hero.

I remember the mod days, I've done that plenty of times. It was so fun. Miss those kind of situations. Saved many people, and lost many people like that. 

Good times, good times.

• Like 1

We do not KoS.

Awesome! Been looking for yet another carebear server to come antagonize.

You are also welcome meatshield.

BTW we are not carebears just humane!

Swingbr the server IP is in my signature or search for "Boomstick" ingame.

There aren't any friendly people anymore. All I see whenever I join a fairly populated server, are people who KoS and in my opinion, act like cowards.

There aren't any friendly people anymore. All I see whenever I join a fairly populated server, are people who KoS and in my opinion, act like cowards.

Exactly what makes people who shoot first cowards?

I would argue the exact opposite as they are usually looking for a fight. If they were cowards they would hide in the forest all day...

Nowadays, all I see are bandits who don't even have the courtesy of letting people go.

What?

Letting people go? Why? So they can come back and shoot me later?

You know its so funny you see all these friendly players screaming about how KOS players are cowards or bad at the game or "psychos", but you guys are the ones always insulting us in the forums...

When has  a kos player been shown any courtesy by a friendly exactly?  Surely not on these forums....

For all of you who act in a shoot first, communicate later mentality, thanks. You've wasted a ton of my time and you've relegated me to gearing up on low pops now. Thanks for making it impossible to have an interesting gameplay experience by one's self.

Feel free to poke fun at me, yell at how dumb I am, or whatever comes to mind. This is general discussion, so...

Really?

Theres this new thing called "being stealthy"...

Its where you decide to hide in the trees, not run through open fields and not run up to a fully geared player screaming freindly....

Its not impossible at all to play your way unless you choose to m ake it impossible...

I stopped caring when you're crying about KoS and started your story with "I was in Cherno"

Its where you decide to hide in the trees, not run through open fields and not run up to a fully geared player screaming freindly....

Its not impossible at all to play your way unless you choose to m ake it impossible...

This describes every single person who has ever cried about KoS. If you're running around in the open or up to fully armed groups of people yelling "Ima friendly HURRR!" than you aren't a hero; you are an idiot who deserves to be shot.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 3

I stopped caring when you're crying about KoS and started your story with "I was in Cherno"

Hello there

Why should cherno really be different to anywhere else? The players make any area "what it is".

Cherno could just as easily be a safe haven, but  folk perpetuate the myth.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

Why should cherno really be different to anywhere else? The players make any area "what it is".

Cherno could just as easily be a safe haven, but  folk perpetuate the myth.

Rgds

LoK

You answered your own question in the same line as you asked it.

Cities and airfields will always be PvP KoS zones because there is a high amount of loot spawns including some of the only places to get military loot. Everyone knows this. It's not a myth it's reality.

If OP was like most people who cry about PvP in this game his story would have been: I've been playing this game for over a year and know there is always KoS bandits in Cherno and Elektro so I went there anyway and was walking down the middle of the street screaming "I'M FRIENDLY" and then I saw people with guns robbing and killing some guy so instead of hiding I ran up to them and asked if they were friendly too and then they shot me! This game is so full of bad players who don't know how to play right!

Edited by Weedz

I remember when I first played the mod I had been running for 15 minutes because I ran out of ammo and had 8 to 10 infected behind me. I got stuck in a field and they caught up. I took a bunch of damage and got knocked out. When woke up a guy was firing an M4 and fighting back the infected and trying to save me. I bled out before he could bandage me up but he tried his ass off to save me. I miss the players like that.

That dude is still my DayZ hero.

THIS /\

Awesome post! That type of player/play style still exists but maybe not so much in the SA yet. Many of them are waiting for a finished SA.

if you make decide to go loot on low pop server  is your choice >:(

don't blame kOS guys for you having balls like a mouse and survive instinct of suicidal depression guy after wife leaving same day he losing job :huh:

where is self respect and dignity?

why you QQ here and say to world 'I AM COWARD' :blush:

you make me feel embarrass for you and I hope I see you in the game soon :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 2

Exactly what makes people who shoot first cowards?

I would argue the exact opposite as they are usually looking for a fight. If they were cowards they would hide in the forest all day...

What?

Letting people go? Why? So they can come back and shoot me later?

You know its so funny you see all these friendly players screaming about how KOS players are cowards or bad at the game or "psychos", but you guys are the ones always insulting us in the forums...

When has  a kos player been shown any courtesy by a friendly exactly?  Surely not on these forums....

Really?

To your first question - They are cowards because they shoot first and ask questions later. They aren't even brave enough to say hello first before they shoot, they just shoot. 

To your second question - There is something called robbing people. It's a lot more interesting than say... shooting them on sight. But of course, because people think when they are asked to put their hands up that they are being shot on sight, they take a chance and they die anyway because of the whole notion of "they aren't going to rob me," they are just going to kill me. And, you can call me an idiot or a hypocrite, or whatever, but some of my best experiences in DayZ (Mod, and Standalone) have happened because I took a chance - a leap of faith if you will, and didn't kill on sight. Am I saying I ran up to them and said friendly! friendly! friendly!? No! If I ever decide to make contact, I make sure that I can easily duck behind cover or dispatch the player if I need to. But only if he doesn't react / cooperate do I take lethal action. 

To your third statement - Seriously? You previously stated that if someone is a coward, they would hide in the trees all day, and then in your third statement, you go to say that there is something called "stealth." I exercise this concept, except when there is no possible way to use stealth. In other words, this goes back to what I was saying before. 

The reason why I gear up on unpopulated servers now is because it is impossible at the moment to go back to what it was before. The minute I take my stance and say what I usually say("Howdy, I'm friendly but you need to put your weapon down or, "howdy, if you put your hands up, I'll come out"), they freak out, don't say anything, and don't respond to my repeated statements. In addition, you aren't getting the point of what I'm saying, nor has anyone who makes a statement about how there are no zombies in the game, this is a pvp game only and it's boring without zombies. 

My point is, if you talk - if you INTERACT with people instead of killing them on sight, I guarantee that it would be a much more interesting game. I'm not saying that EVERY single person has to be that way, but I'm saying that I wish more people would just take a chance. Of course, that will probably only happen when persistent server objects are implemented (tents to store gear) because you can kind of "afford" to take a chance. 

Edited by swingbr
  • Like 1