dgeesio

Mouse acceleration = NO!

They really need to drop the MA ASAP.. Seems they refuse to listen to the Alpha testers.

The dev team seems to have a lot of trouble understanding how to you know, program. Are they guessing an all of this stuff??

When I have a hard time doing something it's because I don't understand the tools or material. I thought this was a professional dev house?

Kind of odd. I think that it's awfully hard to develop with this much public exposure... But that's what they chose to do.

I have a feeling that with the slow dev cycle and stretched out goals, people will move on long before this is a playable game. It's only worth dabbling in at the moment. I hope they get it on track.

Then submit a resume and quite being a prick.

Arma doesn't use a "floaty camera with a model attached to it" they have a system where character movements and the actual animation of it is very much tied together. Which means that there is, ultimately a maximum angular rotation speed applied to your character, what you guys call "negative acceleration". You can swipe your mouse mat as fast as you can, you won't turn faster than that speed.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

Arma doesn't use a "floaty camera with a model attached to it" they have a system where character movements and the actual animation of it is very much tied together. Which means that there is, ultimately a maximum angular rotation speed applied to your character, what you guys call "negative acceleration". You can swipe your mouse mat as fast as you can, you won't turn faster than that speed.

So you mean it's like real life?  :o

Guess he referred to the weekly report on tumblr.

Unless I'm missing something, didn't they say the changes came from Arma 3, not the problem?

This is on a console which has aim assist and practically aims for you when you go over an enemy. 360 no scoping is a hell of a lot harder on PC.

is difficult with mouse compare with controller but not impossible ;)

I doing regular in counter strike with mouse/keyboard combo since 13 years old B)

is difficult with mouse compare with controller but not impossible ;)

I doing regular in counter strike with mouse/keyboard combo since 13 years old B)

That was 2 months ago...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's amazing how nobody knows how to use the search bar.  The mouse acceleration thing has already been brought up a thousand times and the devs addressed why it works the way it does.  For the love of whatever god you pray to, use the search bar.

They will not turn this into a CoD/BF/CS style shooter.  Get over it

I don't recall hovering your hands over an object for 30 seconds in real life just to figure out how to pick it up.

1yP7eIM.gif

Edited by SoldierHair
  • Like 1

The devs don't play the game and they don't care about what the player base wants.

It's hardly suprising they didn't improve the god awful mouse controls.

The devs don't play the game and they don't care about what the player base wants.

It's hardly suprising they didn't improve the god awful mouse controls.

Did you write that from the back of the short bus?

Yeah, all the devs hate the players and try to break the game so they can get new cool jobs at McDonalds.

<insert random internet statistic to make it seem more true>

I can imagine the aim of the devs is to not turn the characters into spinning tops and also that some guns parts influences weapon performance. 

Really the devs should take notes at how Red Orchestra 2/Rising storm works. RO/RS gunplay is fast and responsive, but importantly stops the character models from moving unrealistically fast because of the freeaiming. It also has 'focus' and breathing just like DayZ, in fact the focus is superior as it doesn't give the player robocop levels of zoom. Just a minor zoom and enough to increase target identification.

Of course lots of lazy players won't like it because as always they can't be bothered to adapt despite it being vastly superior to the current mechanic and with the same authentic/realistic focus.

^Audio out of sync for some reason.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-
  • Like 1

take note of how a game that flopped because= they never listened to the people that told them to fix things :lol:

ill let you know a secret. i told them about issues on red orc 2 i told them if they didnt fix it the game will flop guess what happened it bombed !

the real funny thing is after lots of ridicule of what i suggested i was emailed by the dev saying i was right all along :lol:

also what you show is nothing like how it is . you take notes from good games not pile of shit games.

its not realistic its not good just give a option to turn it off.

I can imagine the aim of the devs is to not turn the characters into spinning tops and also that some guns parts influences weapon performance. 

Really the devs should take notes at how Red Orchestra 2/Rising storm works. RO/RS gunplay is fast and responsive, but importantly stops the character models from moving unrealistically fast because of the freeaiming. It also has 'focus' and breathing just like DayZ, in fact the focus is superior as it doesn't give the player robocop levels of zoom. Just a minor zoom and enough to increase target identification.

The zoom effect in Arma and DayZ is supposed to substitute the clarity of vision that you have in real life as obviously games cannot properly simulate this yet. Don't think of it as zooming, more just as if you were focusing on an area.

• Like 1

take note of how a game that flopped because= they never listened to the people that told them to fix things :lol:

ill let you know a secret. i told them about issues on red orc 2 i told them if they didnt fix it the game will flop guess what happened it bombed !

the real funny thing is after lots of ridicule of what i suggested i was emailed by the dev saying i was right all along :lol:

also what you show is nothing like how it is . you take notes from good games not pile of shit games.

its not realistic its not good just give a option to turn it off.

It hardly flopped. Tactical shooter/realism focused shooters don't draw big audiences anymore and the FPS market is dominated by the two big boys now. Everything else is discarded and ignored and has a niche following. The Arma series itself was very niche for many years, but has only in recently years gained greater attention (much of which came from DayZ mod).

But you can't ignore (which you actually just did) that the mechanics (some of which are identical) are superior and better refined than DayZ.

The zoom effect in Arma and DayZ is supposed to substitute the clarity of vision that you have in real life as obviously games cannot properly simulate this yet. Don't think of it as zooming, more just as if you were focusing on an area.

I did refer to it as the 'focus' and I'm fully aware of it's intended purpose, but it feels artificial and a 'zoom' because it's magnification is so strong. Makes any need for binoculars almost redundant. Combined with the LOD issues on trees and bushes it makes spotting people sometimes too easy.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-

Well, since the topic is already created (again), I might as well voice my support again.  I strongly despise mouse acceleration.  It is wonky and inconsistent.  It doesn't add any level of realism, and it doesn't even remotely resemble realistic movement.  When I turn my head to the right to look at my TV screen, I don't turn my head too fast/too far half the time and have to look back.  Likewise, I don't accidentally "not turn my head far enough" and have to turn a bit more to see the screen.

I believe that capping the speed at which players can turn is fantastic, as long as the maximum speed is based on reality and not simply to punish players with better hand-eye coordination.

As for aiming, when I perform shooting drills at multiple targets, I don't suffer from the bizarre behavior I described above with over-compensating and under-compensating randomly, depending on my frame rate and DPI influences by this mouse acceleration as it would be within the game.  A more elegant solution to make armed combat more realistic would be to simply have the reticle wobble around a little bit after moving the mouse, depending on how fast the movement is.  This would simulate the time it takes to reacquire the front sight post.

It is tactically stupid to switch from target to target while focused on the front sight post unless both targets are in the same sight picture.  To stay "aimed down sights" is something a gamer does, not someone who is actually trained.  So, to an extent, some kind of penalty should be applied.  Mouse acceleration, though, is a horrible approach to that issue.

So..anyway there are my 2 cents.  I'm sure it will be fixed eventually and the game remains fun in the meantime but damn is it annoying when I can't aim consistently due to this mouse acceleration...  :(

Edited by WastedSpaceman
  • Like 1

top trolling son first post en all.

double account anyone ? :rolleyes:

if you dont understand why mouse acceleration is so bad i dont know what to say.

why do you want extra movement adding on to your natural movement ? that makes no sense . to be accurate you want the movement you actually do so it flows naturally.

also with how it is now on experimental its 3x times as bad it was previously. if it takes alot to fix and with how slow development is being done or not done they may just opt to call it a feature and not fix it and just leave it as it is. to me thats unacceptable as with the current acceleration i cant even play it it is like being spun round on a merigo round everytime you turn small amounts.

you know theres more than one person that is working on dayz right? you act as if they stop everyone from working just to work on one feature which they are trying to fix and correct and fine tune it to the way that snobby kids like you will enjoy

The problem is not necessarily mouse acceleration. Its the broken state of the negative acceleration which they have said they are fixing. I remember reading somewhere (inb4 source) that they want to use it to create inertia and weight system to the weapons (so clearing a house with a pistol or something is much easier than with a 9 pound, 50 inch long Mosin Nagant). The fact that moving your mouse faster stops you from turning is the broken part. The more compelling part is that swinging your rifle around isn't instant.

This isn't a twitch shooter, there are plenty of those out there already.

Remove mouse acceleration, devs, immediately. There are no excuses.

You are doing the opposite of what players want.

That is the nature of this project thus far. It's their game and we've already given them our money, so they don't give a fuck. Mouse acceleration has been an issue since DAY ONE yet they still avoid solving it. It can't be that hard of a fucking fix to fix the X and Y axis values. Jesus Christ.

• Like 4

The problem is not necessarily mouse acceleration. Its the broken state of the negative acceleration which they have said they are fixing. I remember reading somewhere (inb4 source) that they want to use it to create inertia and weight system to the weapons (so clearing a house with a pistol or something is much easier than with a 9 pound, 50 inch long Mosin Nagant). The fact that moving your mouse faster stops you from turning is the broken part. The more compelling part is that swinging your rifle around isn't instant.

This isn't a twitch shooter, there are plenty of those out there already.

Fuck man, you misuse the term "twitch" in every post you make on the subject. This is a twitch shooter. ARMA is a twitch shooter. Unreal Tournament is a twitch shooter. Just because they're not played at the same speed doesn't mean the former isn't twitch. You're saying you don't need fast/"twitch" reaction time in DayZ? If that's the case, you must die a lot.

Read this, and learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

• Like 3

Sorry but most people just need to spend some time with the system and get to know it. When I first started A2 I hated it....but now that I hotswap between games like l4d and dayz, ....I realise how much more realistic it feels. Games like l4d with 1:1 mouse imput and being able to spin round 3 or 4 times with one mouse motion is whats messed up. Sure its user friendly....but dayz is the anti game, nothings user friendly, its functional. Mouse accel functions well IMHO, to make people learn to remain calm and controlled under pressure.

I have no probs turning 360 in under a second in dayz.....faster and I get a penalty (barrel overshoots target, or extreme case points to sky or ground)....whats wrong with that? Is it that its just most gamers want games they can sit back, eating a dohnut, while chatting on Skype, playing chess....oh and at the same time blasting everyone in sight?

This game just demands a bit more attention at first, once you adapt its the 1:1 stuff that feels unrealistic.  

Challenge any firearm owning forum members to post a vid of them 360'ing with a rifle keeping it level, and eyes down the sights (with stable footing) in under a second :P

Arma/dayz really makes me feel like im controlling a human being, drawbacks and all, Not superman, dressed in army cloths.

Anyway man up and learn to play......rant over :)

• Like 3

Sorry but most people just need to spend some time with the system and get to know it. When I first started A2 I hated it....but now that I hotswap between games like l4d and dayz, ....I realise how much more realistic it feels. Games like l4d with 1:1 mouse imput and being able to spin round 3 or 4 times with one mouse motion is whats messed up. Sure its user friendly....but dayz is the anti game, nothings user friendly, its functional. Mouse accel functions well IMHO, to make people learn to remain calm and controlled under pressure.

I have no probs turning 360 in under a second in dayz.....faster and I get a penalty (barrel overshoots target, or extreme case points to sky or ground)....whats wrong with that? Is it that its just most gamers want games they can sit back, eating a dohnut, while chatting on Skype, playing chess....oh and at the same time blasting everyone in sight?

This game just demands a bit more attention at first, once you adapt its the 1:1 stuff that feels unrealistic.  

Challenge any firearm owning forum members to post a vid of them 360'ing with a rifle keeping it level, and eyes down the sights (with stable footing) in under a second :P

Arma/dayz really makes me feel like im controlling a human being, drawbacks and all, Not superman, dressed in army cloths.

I'll accept your challenge when you can produce a horde of flesh-eating zombies. This is a game. The mouse movement is an obvious mistake on their end; they've admitted as much. It's the clunkiest movement system ever. I don't want to have to swear at a game when I'm trying to turn around or fit through a door in a building. It's not realistic.

Also, competitive FPS gamers generally use very low sensitivities. They generally can't do a 180º spin without a metric fuckton of wrist movement/effort. Hence the reason why these exist: http://www.xtracpads.com/products.php?prod_id=5&section=1

• Like 2

you obviously have no idea.

why would you add acceleration ? its a addition to the movement you should be making of one to one.

so natural is one to one now you saying its better to make an addition of onto this. it makes no sense to do so. in experimental it feels like you turn your head then 1 sec later your eyes catch up! that's retarded.

there is no learning the system. you learn the best way which is one to one not learn to add extra movements onto your natural movements.

that's like hitting as golf ball extra 20 yards to get to the same distance. it makes no sense. its not realistic.

the simple probable answer is they don't want to redo all the animations to stop it so now its becoming a feature :lol:

The funny thing is, you can! if you move your mouse slow, speed increases... the "abs" mouse is not a problem if you ask me, actually makes sense, the problem is, the slower you move your mouse the more sensitive it becomes.. also, the closer the camera is to your character the faster he turns(indoor = faster accl).. it is a mess and it needs some focused cleaning up!

We need John Carmack on this one ;) (my god, that guy could do a ton of good on that team)

Edit: With that said.. Looking back it didn't really take me long to adapt.. although first impression was like, wtf have they been smoking...

Edited by Pandusen

If you can't figure out the mouse movement you suck plain and simple.   Stop trying to play this game like it's Tribes.  

When did anyone say it's from Arma 3?

Because most of what they add is from Arma 3.... besides models.