Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jizz

Switching computers without wipe.. looking for experiences

Hey folks, as the topic suggests, I'm looking to see if I can switch to my other computer without a wipe.  If your response entails anything about (A.) being an alpha (B.) i was gonna die anyway or (C.) you assume it would work like something else, don't bother, I'll ignore you. 

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has actually done this.  I've read other posts, and it looks like the jury is out.  Some people are saying its stored on BI's servers, but have no first hand knowledge, while others are saying they've done it unsuccessfully (got character wiped).

Thanks for your help!

I believe you can back up your game through steam onto a flash drive and move to the other computer. I did it from my laptop to desktop.

Edited by lrish

I believe you can back up your game through steam onto a flash drive and move to the other computer. I did it from my laptop to desktop.

Can you elaborate? I wish it was as simple as the second reply, but reports suggest otherwise.

Edited by Mr Jizz

you don't have to fear anything - chars saved in something like in a cloud.

Just went to a friend 2 days ago and showed him dayz - he didn't got steam so i installed, log with my steam, downloaded dayz, joined a sever and BOOOM - had all equip.

Edited by Guest

This. Your characters are backed up through steam and dayz. I just did a reformat yesterday and lost nothing on any of  my characters. 

As long as you log into your same steam account, you will still have the same characters. 

+1 on this being the answer. I did it myself a couple of weeks ago. A couple of things to note: your video settings and key bindings will not carry over unless you copy the files from your old computer. Also, when you first log into steam and then DayZ on your new computer your character will look like a fresh spawn. Don't panic, just log into your server type (regular or hardcore) and your character will be there. Your character on the login screen will be back to normal when you exit the server.

I switch back and forth between my kid's account and mine on my PC. All of the character data is seemingly stored server-side as I've never had an issue in so doing.

Are DayZ characters saved on Steam Cloud? If so is that on?

Characters are saved on the Hive Servers, not on Steam or your PC.

If it was saved on your PC it would be exploited. Easily.

Can you elaborate? I wish it was as simple as the second reply, but reports suggest otherwise.

I was referring to backing up your games via steam, but theyre right, your actual character is stored on their server(s)

Here is how games can be backed up though:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

it doesn't work like that