alleycat

Remove all long firearms = best kill on sight deterrent.

Are they actually realistically accurate? There are tons of factors in a long distance shot which the game isn't currently taking into account. I don't believe you could so easily shoot that far.

Which guns?

The mosin making shots at 800 meters is a bit much, but a plane jane M4 not hitting shit at 200 meters is even worse.

No.

Your lack of intelligence has required us to deem you a threat to others.

Your public execution is scheduled this evening.

Glory to Arstotka.

Glorious_Arstotzka.jpg

Considering how easy it is to kill someone with an axe or knock someone out with fists, I'd say no, that wouldn't do much.

Just to add my two beans on a KoS deterrent (or really, just something to spice the game up some more):

I'd prefer a status effect that goes on a person that kills another player (unless its over a certain distance). 'Scent of Death'. First stack of this debuff, 10-30 zeds spawn just out of player sight, all pinpointed to the one with the debuff. Two stacks, 40-60 spawn, but you can only get this by killing another player within thirty minutes of the last one you killed. Think, if you killed fresh meat in real infected zombie apocalypse, that's about how it would be. And this would limit large scale player killing to dedicated pvp groups for a large chunk, I would think.

Edit: Ah, it could also insta-attract any that are just wandering about in scent range, so you'll have a big ole hoard if you try to run ;p

Edited by Amias Free

This game was/is completely open ended. It was designed this way to give players the freedom to do as they please. It's always been this way. If one hasn't figured out that, with the freedom we get, there will be 'bad' guys out there...then perhaps this isn't the game for you. Day Z is not black and white. There are a lot of shades of grey. There should never be a deterrent for any playstyle.

I'm all for everyone playing however they so choose. Be it 'friendly' or 'bandit'. I choose to play friendly myself, and without KoS players...I wouldn't have nearly as much fun, nor nearly as many pulse pounding moments.

Accept that, or move on.

Besides, the future of Day Z has a lot less guns and a lot more 'old school' weaponry. Even still...that won't stop people from killing eachother with baseball bats if that's what they want to do.

[EDIT: Also, PvE servers are a joke. Is that really the game you want to play? There are plenty of alternatives. Try Left 4 Dead or Project Zomboid if you want to kill zeds.]

[PS: Zomboid is actually a really good zombie survival game. It's like Day Z...but PvE. They'll be adding multiplayer soon, but that will be optional.]

Edited by Rhodes

Why does the game need a deterrent to KoS?

Sorry, did I miss something?

Just make ammo a fuckton more rare....after the army and civilians tried to fight off the zombies there would be hardly any left. It would be much more interesting if when you found 5 rounds for your gun you felt like a man in the desert stumbling upon an oasis.

• Like 1

I actually have no problem being sniped from long distance. yes it sucks but at least it takes a little skill. I'd much rather be picked off from far off by a good shot then by some asshat who says friendly then shoots me in the back.

• Like 2

This is alpha and your suggestion will never happen. Weapon spawn balancing will come later

Than you would just be KOS'd with a pistol. Or a fist. Or a piece of rotten fruit. Or they would make it so you could never be killed by another player.

:emptycan: 

• Like 1

This game was/is completely open ended. It was designed this way to give players the freedom to do as they please. It's always been this way. If one hasn't figured out that, with the freedom we get, there will be 'bad' guys out there...then perhaps this isn't the game for you. Day Z is not black and white. There are a lot of shades of grey. There should never be a deterrent for any playstyle.

There is no black or white in dayz, only pure black without any shades. You have no choice, either you shoot on sight or you will decide to do it after regretting trusting some other guys  a few times.

As for the reading or understanding impaired:

If you have to use a pistol to shoot on sight the chances of it turning from leet sniper shot to panic shootout are much higher. And a player with expensive loot will be DETERED from doing it. And it would encourage forming groups and not shooting on sight and actually approaching players for social interaction would be more viable.

The point here is to put some risk to killing on sight. Right now there is only risk and no reward in not shooting on sight, while shooting on sight has  all the reward and none of the risk, especially with a weapon that can accurately shoot from 300m.

Most kill on sight kills are actually kills where the target never saw the shooter. and players who disagree with sniper kills being overrepresented are players who are not bored yet with sitting on a camp spot near an airfield

Edited by alleycat

A good KoS deterrent is to convert every DayZ to Catholics, then make them all live in a communist society. Then there'll be no more KoS ever.

There is no black or white in dayz, only pure black without any shades. You have no choice, either you shoot on sight or you will decide to do it after regretting trusting some other guys  a few times.

If you have to use a pistol to shoot on sight the chances of it turning from leet sniper shot to panic shootout are much higher. And a player with expensive loot will be DETERED from doing it. And it would encourage forming groups and not shooting on sight and actually approaching players for social interaction would be more viable.

The point here is to put some risk to killing on sight. Right now there is only risk and no reward in not shooting on sight, while shooting on sight has  all the reward and none of the risk, especially with a weapon that can accurately shoot from 300m.

Most kill on sight kills are actually kills where the target never saw the shooter. and players who disagree with sniper kills being overrepresented are players who are not bored yet with sitting on a camp spot near an airfield

1.) If bullets are more rare, people will save them up for player encounters rather than zombies or hunting. It may delay things a little, but not by much. It will also likely increase KoS as a botched robbery costs way more bullets than a shot from cover.

2.) Rifles are fun. Snipers are fun. If you are a target who never saw your sniper, you are playing wrong. With the exception of random-chance spawn in (which can be fixed), you should not be approaching in such a way that you haven't already cleared the high ground.

3.) Shooting from range is the equalizer between a single player or small group facing a larger group of KoS. 

IrishRoy, you have made me hard on this, the best of holidays! 

As for the OP's suggestion,

1224dde912719094b0507125c0a858e6.jpg

That way me and my KoS deterrent will KoS the shit out of you!  Or my KoS deterrent will spark a panic firefight with spray-n-pray tards left and right.  Either way, its better than holding hands with people who are so obviously intellectually inferior.  No judgment or insult intended. But to suggest that Snipers and Pistols are the KoS causes, this is a troll thread, right?

• Like 1

just for clarification:

that's a S&W Model 460 XVR :>

here, another picture:

w6a9zlwcmij.jpg

tumblr_mtyhoizyFN1rvgzkpo1_500.giftumblr_mtyhoizyFN1rvgzkpo1_500.giftumblr_mtyhoizyFN1rvgzkpo1_500.giftumblr_mtyhoizyFN1rvgzkpo1_500.gif

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 2

This should be a good shoot on sight deterrent:

Remove all ranged firearms and increase the availability of pistols. A player with a pistol will be able to easily kill another lone player if he can sneak up on him, however a group of 2-3 is far riskier and therefore a deterrent. And if there was no way to snipe players from 100+m with a rifle most kill on sight would disappear because of the added risk of close combat.

I ll happily lose the mosin in exchange for a better shoot on sigth deterrent and some pistols.

Because the developers fail to see the glory of nametags (which would add consequence to KOS), no available rifles would be a softer deterrent because there is far more added risk opening fire on 3 axe wielding players on 20m range than it is with a rifle 200m away.

Making rifles only rarer wont work. No matter how rare mosins are, there will be at least one guy sitting on a default sniper spot per server.

This post makes no sense at all, your theory is full of holes the main one being if i had an fnx and a mosin and i saw 3 players standing together i would most probably switch from my mosin to my fnx to kill them as i have a lot more bullets in the fnx so how would it be a deterrent exactly. ?? Also I would still try and kill those players.

There is no black or white in dayz, only pure black without any shades. You have no choice, either you shoot on sight or you will decide to do it after regretting trusting some other guys a few times.

The point here is to put some risk to killing on sight. Right now there is only risk and no reward in not shooting on sight, while shooting on sight has all the reward and none of the risk, especially with a weapon that can accurately shoot from 300m.

I've pistol murdered a LOT of people. I've combatted large groups of people with my magnum. Your suggestion won't deter me.

But I've helped a lot of people too and had a lot of great interactions, even at military bases where I helped someone who broke their legs on the ATC ladder.

If all of your experiences are bad shootouts and executions, work on your social skills and observation skills.

Man has been killing man since they found that first rock lying around. Give a man a rifle, he'll kill another - give him a stick, he'll do the same. Gun/weapon types will deter nothing - giving another reason of focus in the game changes the PvP dominance we have today...