Sign in to follow this  
JPWiser

Long Range on the SKS

Tried to put a pristine LRS I had been saving for awhile on a newly found SKS and it dissapeared.  My buddy told me they do that of course after I tried.

Just a heads up for anyone who doesnt want to lose a good scope that way.....

Not the point.

Tried to put a pristine LRS I had been saving for awhile on a newly found SKS

I understand what you mean, but OP didn't knew that.

Edited by SoldierHair

Hmm.

I could swear, I saw a guy on youtube, who definitively had a LRS on the SKS...

You could do it when the SKS was in experimental, it was removed when pushed to stable.
As for how this happened I have no clue, it sounds like you just threw it on the ground and the server was slow, it didn't show up and you left.
but that is a total guess.

sorry for your loss :(

Late response on this but youre right I didnt know that until it was too late because every other attachment that doesnt go on a certain weapon will not let you try and attach it only for it to dissapear.

The thread was to inform people of this glitch as I didnt see anything about it on the search function,

Good to know, but I feel like I have to agree with the previous post that said you probably threw it on the ground, in a slow server, and ran away assuming the gun ate it up.

Very slim chance that happened, I stood in the same area afterwords for at least a few minutes.  And I put the attachment on my gun which replaced my PU scope (which was placed in my backpack after the switch)

Btw LRS is useless on SKS because it can't effectivly exceed 250m range,  where a PU is way enough

Or you'ld like to get bored to have a big zoom to see bullets flying left to right

Hmm.

I could swear, I saw a guy on youtube, who definitively had a LRS on the SKS...

Probably from the expiremental server before they changed it so SKS couldn't use the LRS.

Btw LRS is useless on SKS because it can't effectivly exceed 250m range,  where a PU is way enough

Or you'ld like to get bored to have a big zoom to see bullets flying left to right

Nice to have it for the binocular aspect.  And since I had both scopes thought I could leave the LRS on to spot, then swap the PU for the kill.

Yea the sks can't take a lrs. The mosin also shouldn't pretty stupid that it does.

Currently the only 2 weapons that could realistically take a modern day short eye relief scope like the lrs are

B95 A high quality 5k dollar hunting rifle.

M4 the top rails allow for the mounting of the lrs with ease.

Fact that the mosin takes the lrs is laughable.

Yea the sks can't take a lrs. The mosin also shouldn't pretty stupid that it does.

Currently the only 2 weapons that could realistically take a modern day short eye relief scope like the lrs are

I am sick and tired of your plebe tier misinformation, I have told you numerous times before, the mosin can EASILY mount a LRS without smithing.

392805085_zpsb629bb47.jpg

395160077_zps98048d1c.jpg

395160048_zpsf81c3c18.jpg

There you have it. The mosins in game have a bent bolt handle, so it would work on that side. The scope can be mounted on the other side for straight handled mosins.

Now STOP IT.

On topic that same style of mount can work on a SKS

Edited by Franchi

I am sick and tired of your plebe tier misinformation, I have told you numerous times before, the mosin can EASILY mount a LRS without smithing.

392805085_zpsb629bb47.jpg

395160077_zps98048d1c.jpg

395160048_zpsf81c3c18.jpg

There you have it. The mosins in game have a bent bolt handle, so it would work on that side. The scope can be mounted on the other side for straight handled mosins.

Now STOP IT.

On topic that same style of mount can work on a SKS

So these specialty mounts would be found in the wasteland? Of course you can mount anything on a mosin given enough gun smithing. Shit you can mount a 40mm grenade launcher if you try hard enough. Point I'm making is its not something a survivor would be able to do out on the field without considerable tools and experience.

You simply can't just use a simple pair of rings and mount the scope like you would otherwise do with just about any other modern rifle.

Mounting a modern day optic on the mosin I'd just not practical and downright unrealistic within the context of dayz.

Like cmon man what would be the chances of the survivor finding a mosin that was drilled and tapped and also would find a specialty rail mount that already would be extremely rare anywhere else in the world let alone chenarus.

So these specialty mounts would be found in the wasteland? Of course you can mount anything on a mosin given enough gun smithing. Shit you can mount a 40mm grenade launcher if you try hard enough. Point I'm making is its not something a survivor would be able to do out on the field without considerable tools and experience.

You simply can't just use a simple pair of rings and mount the scope like you would otherwise do with just about any other modern rifle.

Mounting a modern day optic on the mosin I'd just not practical and downright unrealistic within the context of dayz.

Like cmon man what would be the chances of the survivor finding a mosin that was drilled and tapped and also would find a specialty rail mount that already would be extremely rare anywhere else in the world let alone chenarus.

Did you even look at the pictures?

That base mounts as a PU would NO SMITHING.

Nearly every rifle will require particular basses for a scope, they are drilled and tapped differently and often have different heights between the front and rear ring. The base from a Remington 700 will not fit on a M77 or a Winchester model 70. Heck the B95 has a proprietary mounting system.

Unless you want to make people search for the appropriate mounts for each and every gun that gets added mounting a LRS to the Mosin should not be a problem.

About the only thing you have right is that mounting a  scope to a flat top M4 is child's play but even then you need the correct rings, the rings from my 700 or Mauser or Howa wouldn't work.

Edited by Franchi
  • Like 1

facepalm lol. theres mounts that you can put on the side of the rifle  that bend over that have something such as dovetail mounts where you can put your rings to mount your optics, you cant put certain rings on certain scopes such as most scopes that have over a 40mm objective can not fit in a 30mm ring as they need a 1inch, the rings that came with my tikka t3 were 30mm and my vortex optic needed 1inch rings and i needed to get two short mounts to go ontop of the original base as tikka has their own little setup for some reason

That makes me wish they would add scope bases and rings to the game each with different properties. Cheapo brand bases and rings won't hold reliable zeros meanwhile high quality ones do.

The thread is going off-topic.

I kind of like the off-topic better than the topic on this one.