Sebidee

Gear up, then suicide - the cycle of Day z

I think everyone can agree that there is a certain cycle in Day z. You spend a few hours gearing up, get the best possible items and then get hit by an unstoppable wall of boredom. The only thing you can really do then is engage in banditry or if you are the heroic type then start some anti-banditry. Essentially you set out to start a fight, and since your opponents are more or less equal to you this will mean your death, fast. Even if you survive your first few fire fights you will just end up taking bigger risks, against larger groups of players. Essentially you are committing suicide because there is nothing better to do.

Strangely though dying does not annoy me too much. In fact I feel relieved to go from fully geared to a fresh spawn, it lets me replay the most enjoyable part of the game, sneaking through villages and being properly afraid of zombies.

The problem is that there is no incentive to stay alive. Sure, you could spend a few more hours getting slightly better equipment. Ditching your worn summer hunter trousers for a pristine pair or maybe getting a magnum instead of a pistol. But the practical difference between these items are so small that it feels like a waste of time. Better to just throw your life away in a briefly exciting fire fight and start as a fresh spawn again.

So, what can be done? well, here are my suggestions.

1. Add some extra curricular activities.

I really have no business claiming this as an idea of mine as the devs have said they would add them. Still, I think extra things such as hunting and building and what ever else you care to suggest would really give me something else to do than just looting.

2. Make surviving more difficult.

When you have the weapons to effectively kill zombies then surviving becomes really, really easy. You can eat like a king by looting the smallest villages and you can pretty much be permanently hydrated by drinking from wells. So the solution? you need to make your health more of an issue. You should get sick by not having a varied diet and you should get sick from being exposed to the elements. You should especially get sick from being around zombies or in towns that should be riddled with the dead. You also should randomly get common illnesses just to keep you on your toes. And even though I love them, they really should limit the amount of wells. Making me more dependent on constantly needing to find new supplies would help to prolong the looting stage so that I can still 'gear' even when geared.

3. Add some kind of 'staying alive bonus'

Alright, I think this may be the divisive suggestion. I think that you should get certain skills, perks and bonuses based on the amount of time you are in game. These could be things like allowing you to run faster, reload quicker, move more quietly or use melee weapons better. This would certainly make me want to survive as my time alive as one character would noticeably make my gameplay more fun. I know that this is not all that realistic but there are certain factors that the game cannot simulate, such as the character's lifelong goals or his fear of death. Maybe he wants to eventually find his family or save civilisation. We don't want to do this because we know we're playing a game.

So, what do you think? Also if you have any other suggestions as to how to break the gear then suicide cycle then please post them. I will add them to the OP and then credit you. 

• Like 2

Hate to be that guy, but.

Alpha

It should be red. But I think that the OP does have points that should be up for discussion (Even though most these things have been discussed a million times on here).

Yep, I gear up to what I'm content with, then wind up getting bored and can't find much good combat, so I usually drop all my gear in the middle of a frequently traveled road on a popular server and go jump off a cliff or something, then start over again.

I guess I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys the process of gearing up, but I'm weird like that.

• Like 2

Yep, I gear up to what I'm content with, then wind up getting bored and can't find much good combat, so I usually drop all my gear in the middle of a frequently traveled road on a popular server and go jump off a cliff or something, then start over again.

I guess I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys the process of gearing up, but I'm weird like that.

I do too. I find it exciting to not know what weapon ill find, and I can improve upon. Most people hate it, but we're one of the few (:

sigh...another one!

I won't agree! I go against the grain, I deter my boredom by finding things to do for myself. This is a sandbox game after all

Once you stop using your imagination, you can become bored very quickly and resort to the "common" play style stated in these very repeated threads. 

DayZ has no golden rule, how to play or how to survive. We make our own

• Like 1

I don't hate when I relay useful information to people.  

So? He said he hated to be that one guy. Meaning that he didn't ask for it but was being forced to do so against his liking. You just seem to be happy spamming that on every thread.

AsOiX was right, you're such a drama queen.

Edited by AntonioAJC

C'mon guys. It seems like every thread on this forum starts with people either posting a search bar or saying alpha. Forums are all about discussion and I want to be part of that rather than reading threads that are weeks old. If you want to weigh in then weigh in. If your sick of it then don't and maybe go do something else.

Its just petty, completely and utterly childish, both of you do it in varying degrees, one being the worst,

But I digress, let's get to the point of the thread and help dayZ be as good a game as it can be.

Its just petty, completely and utterly childish, both of you do it in varying degrees, one being the worst,

But I digress, let's get to the point of the thread and help dayZ be as good a game as it can be.

Pardon me. It's 12:17 AM over here and I'm half-asleep.

I hear you loud and clear my fellow Celt. I felt the same way as you after spending many hours on SA. Its empty and boring as hell.

My solution was to head back to the mod until SA sorts itself out. The rocket man warned us that his version of dayz would not be anywhere near ready until 2015 at the earliest, and we have to respect that.

As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I hear you loud and clear my fellow Celt. I felt the same way as you after spending many hours on SA. Its empty and boring as hell.

My solution was to head back to the mod until SA sorts itself out. The rocket man warned us that his version of dayz would not be anywhere near ready until 2015 at the earliest, and we have to respect that.

As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Celt! yeah I understand that it's in alpha and we can't really complain. I'm not complaining though, I actually really love this game. Though that doesn't mean I don't want to imagine the ways that they will improve it.

Edited by Sebidee

Hate to be that guy, but.

Alpha

he's suggesting, not complaining that there's bugs. He knows it's Alpha, otherwise he wouldn't be suggesting things.

• Like 2

Is this really happening? Jesus guys.

Edited by OR3GONIZ3D

The best thing to do would be use the search function and check out the numerous threads that talk about all of the same points the OP has pointed out.

Ok so I guess there is just a complete embargo on posting anything ever on the forum from this point on. we'll just search and read and not be able to interact in any way. Sounds fun! Is there anything that hasn't been discussed?

• Like 2

Celt! yeah I understand that it's in alpha and we can't really complain. I'm not complaining though, I actually really love this game. Though that doesn't mean I don't want to imagine the ways that they will improve it.

Yup, the irish, scots welsh and cornish are celts.

I think that having some sort of rewards, such as perks is a good idea. As your character is killing a lot of zombies, it means that he is getting better at it. Sooo it makes sense that u would get a perk that makes u better at it. Same goes for running, shooting etc.

None of that will make anything in this game more exciting than having a decent firefight. All they can do by adding more of this so called content (I'd rather call it "lack of") is keeping the easily impressed busy until they realize how pathetic it is to sit on a virtual beach to virtually sit next to your virtual fishing rod to not catch virtual fish.

there is a lack of content, yes, but its alpha. so its ok.

Dayz, a big sandbox where all the towns and places looks the same and contains the same items + Airports.

I takes you ruffly 1 hour to go from fresh spawn to fully geared - And thats why people rather enjoy big firefights than surviving - Not much to loose.

We are always a group of 5-6 players playing together, and after 350 hours gameplay, we have not yet been wiped out totally. So if someone dies, we just sit by and protect the loot till he comes back.

I really enjoy the loot process, you can finally feel free and run in the streets for a few minutes. Once you are fully geared, you are a target - So you get 30minutes of freedom.

there is a lack of content, yes, but its alpha. so its ok.

Sure. Everything is ok in alpha. But there's no amount of "content" that will make more fun than hunting other players. At least for a significant amount of players...unless you drive em all ayway with more'n'more of that boring substitute carebear content and finally go roleplay all the way.

The day i can make my own camps it will be a totally different game for me. Then I can do what i love the most, gather equipment.

Just stack up M4`s, Mosins, Food/Drinks for months and enough ammunition for the whole community! Just a place for my crew to gather up.

The best thing to do would be use the search function and check out the numerous threads that talk about all of the same points the OP has pointed out.

And hes off again, best use the search function on your name, see how many posts you Troll..... Get a GF or Job

First, I like the suggestions (even if all of them were already mentioned in some sort), so don't egt that commetn als defending or putting you down or whateverm, I just have a look what is planned as said by the devs...

I really have no business claiming this as an idea of mine as the devs have said they would add them. Still, I think extra things such as hunting and building and what ever else you care to suggest would really give me something else to do than just looting.

Hunting+cooking+building (persistent barricading as first step) will be added, first 2 soon (maybe next exp patch? Maybe that one after that), barricading soon after, building will last a bit longer

When you have the weapons to effectively kill zombies then surviving becomes really, really easy. You can eat like a king by looting the smallest villages and you can pretty much be permanently hydrated by drinking from wells. So the solution? you need to make your health more of an issue. You should get sick by not having a varied diet and you should get sick from being exposed to the elements. You should especially get sick from being around zombies or in towns that should be riddled with the dead. You also should randomly get common illnesses just to keep you on your toes. And even though I love them, they really should limit the amount of wells. Making me more dependent on constantly needing to find new supplies would help to prolong the looting stage so that I can still 'gear' even when geared.

With respawning Zs the first step has been done - it's very hard to survive if you start shooting in a city ;) What is missing here is the new Z AI which is worked on and a better Z pathfinding (maybe give them the ability to climb ladders, so they can get those damn roof-snipers as well ;)

Lootable food will be lowered (I can already feel the tears of rage that will stream like a river in this forum when it happens) when hunting+cooking is implemented,

Water that is not purified or cooked will have a chance to make you sick, so that "drink from well until hydrated" -times may be over soon as well ;)

And getting scurvy as you suggested (the diet thing^^)? Great idea. I hope something like this is planned

Random ilnesses...well...you will get diseases from Z attacks that made you bleed (that's confirmed), and amybe even when you are in damp clothes+cold (new modifier for body temperature which is coming)

Alright, I think this may be the divisive suggestion. I think that you should get certain skills, perks and bonuses based on the amount of time you are in game. These could be things like allowing you to run faster, reload quicker, move more quietly or use melee weapons better. This would certainly make me want to survive as my time alive as one character would noticeably make my gameplay more fun. I know that this is not all that realistic but there are certain factors that the game cannot simulate, such as the character's lifelong goals or his fear of death. Maybe he wants to eventually find his family or save civilisation. We don't want to do this because we know we're playing a game.

Is planned as rocket confirmed. There will be no skill points to be distributed by the player, but a passive skill system (think of skyrim-passive skills)....the example that he gave was:

You will not be able to repair ruined or badly damaged items when you spawn. But if you repair enough damaged items, you may get good enough to repair badly damged items, and some time later if you stay alive that long, even ruined items. Same for clothes, maybe even cooking...but "battle" skills will not be affected afaik.

In long term view (think base building and vehicles) this skills will be even more useful...if the only tires you find are ruined...

here is, where I see some more potential. Maybe adding some kind of mechanic skill for repairing cars, doctor skill for giving infusions/taking blood (was suggested in the suggestions sub often) etc. etc.

So...thinks are looking good, if the devs can keep their promises :)

• Like 1

Topic cleaned. If you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, don't bother posting. Posts such as "alpha" and "search before you post" will be treated as spam and removed. If there is an existing topic on the same subject, report it to us with a link and we can merge them.

LOL, hypocrite.

OR3GONIZ3D, if you continue being belligerent and trying to bait people into arguments your time here is going to be short lived. It's wearing really thin.

• Like 1