Sign in to follow this  
leitberkley

How long to gear up?

Gear up poll  

162 members have voted

1. 1. how long should it take a player to gear up?

That's still way to short of a time.  I'm guessing you didn't even have to worry about food and water?

Nope.

Because people are blind it seems. Just search every house that normally spawns loot, even if the doors are open. in 1 out of 3 cases you'll find somethign that the person who looted there did not see or did not want^^

And water...pumps. Or even the water near the shipwreck. or loads of pipsi ;)

Was only close to dying when I crossed Berezino because my only weapon at that time was a crowbar and with the new melee animation you can't hit a Z properly because the range is so freakin short...

Edit: But i still would run around with my trusty fire extinguisher (that thing is a Z killer if you know how to aim with it ;)...but it makes you soooo easy to spot...), because i wound't have found an axe by than, if I hadn't traded with the one guy...

Edit2: Missed to mention: Shipwreck was also looted. Only found a load of shotgun shells there...^^

Edited by LaughingJack

Fresh Spawn depending on location:

(even if you get a Berezino spawn, you can get to Elektro in under 10 minutes)

1) Berezino piano houses, school/office then head to svet.

2) Elektro 2 fire stations (spawns military clothing), school/office/hospital/industrial estate, a select few houses, then onto Cherno. Cherno 2 fire stations + piano houses. 

Time? Less than an hour. No need to loot any of the towns in between, it just slows you down.

I moaned like hell when I first started playing about "lack of loot". I was wrong, 200 hours in - I no longer care if I die as it's too bloody easy to gear again. Survival? huh?

Edited by jumling

How long it should take? There shouldn't and can't be an absolute time-to-geared.

It depends on where you are, where the rest of the players are and what they have taken, what you want and need, etc. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you should find yourself starving and desperate.

1) Berezino piano houses, school/office then head to svet.

2) Elektro 2 fire stations (spawns military clothing), school/office/hospital/industrial estate, a select few houses, then onto Cherno. Cherno 2 fire stations + piano houses.

...and if you play on a server with more than 3 people, chances are high that in 7/10 (rough guess) tries either a ) both are looted or b )you get shot there.

...and on Exp, zombies are a pain in the ass if you don't have soem sort of good melee weapon (axes, fire extinguisher..).... especially in bigger towns, since they have a little bit better pathfinding and can walk up stairs...well sometimes^^

Time? Less than an hour. No need to loot any of the towns in between, it just slows you down.

But yes, that's right. Only the houses you know that will spawn food (like the one with the small glassed veranda) and stop for pumps...

Can't wait till you need water purification tablets if you don't want to risk getting sick ;)

ANd maybe the amount of lootable food will go down when hunting is in...i hope so...but THA the moaning will start here^^

I moaned like hell when I first started playing about "lack of loot". I was wrong, 200 hours in - I no longer care if I die as it's too bloody easy to gear again. Survival? huh?

Yeah...but, every game gets easier the longer you play it, but well, let's see what happens (weapon-wise) when the

improvised ones come and (if) Dean keeps his word and military ones get super-rare...well, or we leave the alpha and we don't have to test new guns, so the amount of all goes back..

Edited by LaughingJack

100 hours definitely… nah, like 1 hour 

Personally? Five hours sounds fine for this. If you were including military grade weapons, body armour, and so forth I would have voted 20.

this excatly 

maybe 30 hours for endgame gear like pressvest, maxed out m4, ect ( all in pristine ) 

If it should be 30 ours or so...how it that even possible?

Should the server keep track of how long you have played and then spawn something good while you enter a building? I dont see that happening, it's all random spawn. So if your lucky you find it early, if your unlucky it could take up to hours.

Well, if you pick a server with 5 players and it has just restarted, 1 hour but if you play on a regular server then it takes 3. Finding a gun is very easy in places which haven't been touched because they only spawn in a few locations.

WUT?

Which part didn't you understand?

If it should be 30 ours or so...how it that even possible?

Should the server keep track of how long you have played and then spawn something good while you enter a building? I dont see that happening, it's all random spawn. So if your lucky you find it early, if your unlucky it could take up to hours.

Loot is not actually random. Each loot spawn has a table of what loot it can produce and the percent chance for that item to be produced, to make an item appear to take a certain amount of time to spawn you just fiddle with the percent chance until you get a good average. Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

Loot is not actually random. Each loot spawn has a table of what loot it can produce and the percent chance for that item to be produced, to make an item appear to take a certain amount of time to spawn you just fiddle with the percent chance until you get a good average.

You are right about that, now I think of it.

But still, that won't really affect the time gearing up or does it? I mean, if the chance indeed is small something rare spawns, you still have to be that 1 lucky basterd finding it. And the 1 who finds it, might just be a guy who just started 20 minutes or so, or perhaps the guy who is indeed been searching and looting for 20 hours, right?

I said 3.  I usually do it in a lot less time than that, but I always enjoy the time I spend back on the coast trying to start over.  I almost always intend to go back to my corpse, but I usually end up getting distracted, finding different loot, and go off exploring in another direction.  That's part of the fun of this game.

If you are lucky with spawns, 1 hour.  Otherwise, you are most likely going to spend 2-3 hours to get everything you want and need.

This sounds about right. Factors I believe contribute to your time:

1. Luck. If you don't spawn near anything, you waste time just figuring out where you are and getting somewhere with loot. Then you have to be lucky that there is loot left for you to get where you do end pu.

2. Experience. As a brand new player, you have no clue what you're doing. 70 hours in and I know exactly which buildings to go to, how to not waste my time, and most importantly how to navigate quickly.

3. Solo or in a group. If you have friends with excess gear and consumables, it is pretty easy to get back up on the horse and continue what you were doing before you died. If you're by yourself, you are going to spend more time searching that could have been saved by being gifted some of your inventory. Friends can also speed up the process of searching for loot if you work together.

Edited by Tatanko

People get geared so fast because they know the way the game works and they know where to look for things. In my opinion, that is not an issue, veteran players should have the knowledge of this stuff, and they should be able to take advantage of it. It's the natural pecking order.

Better randomization of loot spawns would help solve the pecking order problem.

Better randomization of loot spawns would help solve the pecking order problem.

I agree with this.  When I started playing, I was in every house/barn/shed/etc...  Then I spotted the pattern in the loot spawns and it changed the way I play.  Better randomization would make restarting that much more interesting.  I'm sure that's on the dev's to do list somewhere.

I agree with this.  When I started playing, I was in every house/barn/shed/etc...  Then I spotted the pattern in the loot spawns and it changed the way I play.  Better randomization would make restarting that much more interesting.  I'm sure that's on the dev's to do list somewhere.

Actually yes, the loottables are always under construction (due to test purposes = make new items extremly common) and as I read is one of the topic that is looked (again) into: why some houses don't spawn loot....seems still not totally resolved (at least on experimental)

Well, let's look out what is rising upon us in the future (hopefully) :

And when the loot respawn starts (I STILL hope they haven't changed their plans on that [you know: when a server starts, only some random amount of loot is spawned. Every other lootplace gets a random timer from 30 minutes up. Everytime something is looted, the random timer is set again, like it was an initial spawn...])

Lootable food might get rare when hunting is in...Water will have the possibility to make you sick when you dont purify or cook it...so getting healthy will not be that easy anymore...

(Somehow i got the intention now to hoard gas stoves...)

Military weapons will be rare when improvised weapons come (and also the ammo will not so common i hope) so that this part may also take some time...

And maybe when they change finally the doors thy physic objects they will have all behaviourswhen they spawn, from open to closed and every mm inbetween, so you never can be sure that somebody was there or not... XD

...so when all these things are in (if they come that way etc. etc.), it will take quite some time to gear up...and I don't even mean "endgame gear"^^

Edited by LaughingJack

Step 1: Join a low pop server and run to elektro. Find any gun with ammo. Revolver, fnx, SKS, whatever. If no gun can be found quickly, a fire Axe will do.

Step 2: switch to a full server

Step 3: kill one of the fully geared but not skilled players running about through the streets

Step 4: loot his body

Step 5: profit.

Should not take much longer than 30 min, or an hour at most.

Just make sure you kill him with one well placed shot rather than spraying his whole body if you want the gear to still be in useable condition...

Which part didn't you understand?

Loot is not actually random. Each loot spawn has a table of what loot it can produce and the percent chance for that item to be produced, to make an item appear to take a certain amount of time to spawn you just fiddle with the percent chance until you get a good average.

The part about it taking ~5 hours to gear up to an acceptable level, and ~20 to fully gear yourself.

WUT?

Lulz....under an hour..Cherno to Bolota. When I'm alone it takes me under 45mins..Everything is on the beach. From M4's to Press Vests.

If it takes you more than 2 hours you are doing it wrong or don't really know what your doing. That or your IMO taking to long to move from one position to the next..

Rule #1 in a Zed Apocalypse: Cardio....

Edited by RyBo

Lulz....under an hour..Cherno to Bolota. When I'm alone it takes me under 45mins..Everything is on the beach. From M4's to Press Vests.

If it takes you more than 2 hours you are doing it wrong or don't really know what your doing. That or your IMO taking to long to move from one position to the next..

Rule #1 in a Zed Apocalypse: Cardio....

Clearly you missed the point of this thread and poll, it's about how long you think it should take to gear up, not how long it takes you in the current game.

The part about it taking ~5 hours to gear up to an acceptable level, and ~20 to fully gear yourself.

WUT?

I don't see the problem, you can finish allegedly AAA-rated games in 5 hours nowadays and not everyone even wants to go for a full military gear loadout (which should be more rare anyway, and the devs clearly agree). As it stands now it's simply far too quick and easy to get armed and armoured to the teeth and it takes a lot out of the survival experience, people who want to be fully geared almost right away make me wonder why they're even playing this game when games that spawn you in camo and body armour with an assault rifle are ten a penny. Edited by DarkwaveDomina

This being: one gun with ammo, food, drink and meds. Just curious to c what u all think.

Between 30 -45 minutes depends on server. You can easily find sks in almost every school/office building in Elektro or Berezino. Sks also spawns at 2 story building with green balcony same for double barrel rifle. Medical from fire station or hospital in Electro or Hospital in berezino.

Also magnum,45 can easily be found in fire stations in Elektro. 2 Fire stations there so.

Edited by =1PARA=Prime=C.O=

Between 30 -45 minutes depends on server. You can easily find sks in almost every school/office building Elektro or Berezino. Sks also spawns at 2 story building with green balcony same for double barrel rifle. Medical from firestation or hospital in Electro or Hospital in berezino.

You guys need to read the poll. This isn't about how long it takes you, it's about how long it should take in your opinion.
  • Like 1

Really depends on how you play the game imho and how lucky you get.

When hopping servers I gear up in less than an hour, when playing properly it can take some time depending on whether the spots you've visited already got looted or not.

My current char is like 10 hrs old, didnt farm-hopp servers and I finally found a M4 last night...so yeah, it can take some time.

You guys need to read the poll. This isn't about how long it takes you, it's about how long it should take in your opinion.

You're right,  just read the Topic :)

I wouldn't set any time on that really as it's completely random, depends on luck/route choice/server population and just based on circumstances.

Edited by =1PARA=Prime=C.O=