leefriendfield

Please Add The Ability To Text Over The Radio

I enjoy playing with my buddies and we have a lot of fun doing so, but one thing I have noticed is the amount of mutes we come across is about 1/5 of people we see (<< Estimate, not a factual number). I fully support the helping of those without microphones and or can't use them and I feel that the lack of text over radio is an oversight on the dayz development team for those people without a mic. We can argue all day long about realism but in the end it comes down to solid gameplay. One example of a slight disability without a mic is only being able to type to someone within 50m while a guy with a mic can be heard at 80m. Please add radio text chat so as people can still communicate even without a mic. How can you balance this, well just like when talking over the radio if you type anyone within 80m can read your message. Rocket has always talked about being able to communicate non-verbally and I feel that this would be a step in the right direction.

What are your thought, what else could be coded to help those communicate without a mic?

EDIT #1: I'm seeing a lot of people saying OH GET A $2 MIC OR U SUX, there are a hundreds of reasons why people do not use a mic, so please try to put yourself in someone elses shoes and think "What reason does he have for not using a mic?" Here is the post orlok made:

Hello there

There are a myriad of reasons why folk are unable to use a mic.

Dont throw around lazy ideas, like "everyone has a mic or they sux!!!!11!!".

Life is not that black and white.

Some folk may be impaired or live in a situation where voice comms are just not achievable.

I Think the text chat is a fine idea, many radios have built in morse buttons etc, just pretend its that if it upsets one so much.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by LeeFriendField
  • Like 7

Tell them to type..louder

also, there are gestures, example hands up for friendly.  Or gun drawn for hostile.

Edited by ChiefMasterKush
  • Like 2

The 2000's called and want their computers back. Practically everyone has a a mic, and if you don't. Just wow.

Edited by AsOiX
  • Like 2

The 2000's called and want their computers back. Practically everyone has a a mic, and if you don't. Just wow.

I was going to mention this also.  People dont talk because they are lazy, dont want to, or want you to think they can't

Some people use text chat instead of the mic because they are playing late at night and don't want to disturb housemates, partners, etc.

• Like 10

Microphones are $10. I got mine from CVS, if you don't know where to get them.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

Hello there

Some folk may be impaired or live in a situation where voice comms are just not achievable.

I Think the text chat is a fine idea, many radios have built in morse buttons etc, just pretend its that if it upsets one so much.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 7

I have a mic and play without it pretty often. It's just how i prefer sometimes. I dont always want to use voice chat.  ^_^

I play at night in my bedroom across the hall from two sleeping girls (not college babes, sadly) so I tend to speak in a normal conversation voice (well, a Ben Stein impression) and not super loud or animated. So I come off as anti-social and untrustworthy. Which I'm not. But I'll flip you. I'll flip you for real.

My point... Mics aren't always a great option.

I have a mic and play without it pretty often. It's just how i prefer sometimes. I dont always want to use voice chat.  ^_^

BANNABLE offense!!

B)

Edited by ChiefMasterKush

@OP: I think this is a great idea and needs to be implemented. People shouldn't be excluded from a game because they're impaired, within reason.

I enjoy playing with my buddies and we have a lot of fun doing so, but one thing I have noticed is the amount of mutes we come across is about 1/5 of people we see (<< Estimate, not a factual number). I fully support the helping of those without microphones and or can't use them and I feel that the lack of text over radio is an oversight on the dayz development team for those people without a mic. We can argue all day long about realism but in the end it comes down to solid gameplay. One example of a slight disability without a mic is only being able to type to someone within 50m while a guy with a mic can be heard at 80m. Please add radio text chat so as people can still communicate even without a mic. How can you balance this, well just like when talking over the radio if you type anyone within 80m can read your message. Rocket has always talked about being able to communicate non-verbally and I feel that this would be a step in the right direction.

What are your thought, what else could be coded to help those communicate without a mic?

I'm sorry but writing (typing) and reading is considered verbal communication. What I think in non-verbal means body gestures/language. Just learned this last week on my 9th grade Speech class.  B)

Also, not a bad idea. 

Edited by AntonioAJC

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Nice to hear your calm headed and reasonable post orlok, thanks.

I had to play the game without a mic for a couple of weeks and the biggest problem is the implementation of the chat in regard to it "locking" any other environmental interactions. The minute you start typing you are at an immediate disadvantage as you cannot react quickly to your surroundings. I totally understand trying to extend the game so that those who don't have a mic (or perhaps those who do not speak the same language) but perhaps the route to take is the animations. Limited as they are now, I am sure they could be expanded in order to provide a simplistic "sign language".

Sort of related but not directly I quite like the idea of having mobile phones within the game, there are mobile phone antennas so if there is power to them then I can see that working to provide a form of text messaging. Obviously a mobile network takes more than just antennas but I think it could maybe be implemented and there would need to be more put into it, but just another idea to throw into the pot.

Edited by ricp

I don't see why not.

I have a wireless headset that runs on a battery. While it does run for quite a while, I'm not spending my entire time using said headphones playing DayZ, so often I'll need to recharge it and thus be unable to play with a mic. This is not a huge problem for me, but it'd be very useful if it ever did happen, and I know there are people who would greatly appreciate this.

For the people who actually cannot speak this would be a great addition but for the people who just don't own a mic, you can afford to spend $10 on a cheap Logitech mic from Walmart if you can afford a PC capable of playing DayZ and $30 to buy DayZ itself, if have to worry about waking people up at night, go to bed!

• Like 2

For the people who actually cannot speak this would be a great addition but for the people who just don't own a mic, you can afford to spend $10 on a cheap Logitech mic from Walmart if you can afford a PC capable of playing DayZ and $30 to buy DayZ itself, if have to worry about waking people up at night, go to bed!

Half of what you said makes sense.... The other half? You're not my mom. I don't think. So don't tell me when to go to bed.

Half of what you said makes sense.... The other half? You're not my mom. I don't think. So don't tell me when to go to bed.

LOL, then have fun waking up people at night and getting your ass kicked for it.   ;)

These posts are making lose I.Q. points just by reading them

They may not be able to use mics because they don't want to disturb family members, it is a built in laptop mic, it sounds static, they are squeakers and don't want to be criticized etc.

You can't be single minded think of the other possibilitys for people not using thier mics

• Like 4

LOL, then have fun waking up people at night and getting your ass kicked for it.   ;)

This is exactly why I would love to have the texting ability on radios.

• Like 1

Text to speech. Then everyone can quit whining and spend their time trying to figure out what the heck the typers are trying to say.

I think this would work if you could hear morse code over the radio then the text would pop up on your screen to read.