Snowball (DayZ)

Two primary weapons

(I know this is a somewhat popular suggestion, so I was actually surprised to not find this in suggestions. However, please don't shoot me if I happened to look over it)

Two primary weapons on your back. And with that I mean the ability to hold 2 guns on your back, e.g. a Mosin & a M4A1. 
I know this has been said somewhere before (not sure where exactly tough) and that the devs also mentioned it, but I think this should really be implemented into the game. I mean, not only for realistic purpose (because why on earth would you be able to have 1 gun & 1 axe glued on your back & not 2 guns) but it's also the best solution to not having to drop your primary weapon again & again to eat, drink etc. ('cause you have to permanently carry a gun in your hand if you want to carry 2 primaries with you)

Personally, I feel like something missing when I don't have a Close-Mid range (m4, shotgun...) & a long-range (mosin, blaze...) as primaries. Of course you can always have a pistol for close range but it's not as good as the bigger guns (in my opinion)

Now, some criticism on this I already thought of. Some of you might see it as OP, which I can perfectly understand, but I found a number of reasons why it shouldn't be considerd OP.

- People are already carrying 2 primaries as it is. The only thing that's different is that they have to drop it every single time they have to eat, drink etc. which personnaly annoys the crap out of me and is also pretty dangerous, since your gun lying on the floor can always mysteriously dissapear due to the game still being in Alpha) or some random dude just passing by.

- The fact players choose for 2 primaries also means they have to carry ammo for both + perhaps a pistol, which impedes their inventory space

- Could make an additional features that impedes characters movement (?)

That's basically all I can think of right now (not much I know)

Also, in case this wasn't clear, I don't need a feature that allows us to have the same two weapons glued on our backs or dual-wielding primaries or such (lol) but I just think two primaries would be a good feature.

Feedback would be appreciated :)

I prefer only 1 primary.  Remember there are no dedicated snipers in dayz.  Just take the scope off your mosin and it works fine.  I think letting you carry two guns would be a little too much as it might encourage the hill snipers since they don't need to worry about being flanked as much.  Also it takes something out of gunfights.

I have a shotgun, he has a sniper *sortev*.  It can be to my advantage or disadvantage and forces me to use my head.  If I can just whip out a sniper myself and kill him instead of having to flank or dash from cover to cover then it takes something away from the game for me.

Edited by harley001
  • Like 4

2 primary weapons+backpack+full pockets=no

But when the team introduces the weight system,and if you are carrying limited weight

then i don't see why not.So bottomline is,that i think it's a good idea only if there are some weight restirctions and a toll on you overall stamina.

(eg with 2 primary weapons you can't carry as much stuff in you backpack as you can with 1).

then i don't see why not.So bottomline is,that i think it's a good idea only if there are some weight restirctions and a toll on you overall stamina.

(eg with 2 primary weapons you can't carry as much stuff in you backpack as you can with 1).

That's actually what I meant, I'm ok with having some sort of "restriction" for carrying 2 weapons on your back, like your example of stamina

• Like 1

I prefer only 1 primary.  Remember there are no dedicated snipers in dayz.  Just take the scope off your mosin and it works fine.  I think letting you carry two guns would be a little too much as it might encourage the hill snipers since they don't need to worry about being flanked as much.  Also it takes something out of gunfights.

I have a shotgun, he has a sniper *sortev*.  It can be to my advantage or disadvantage and forces me to use my head.  If I can just whip out a sniper myself and kill him instead of having to flank or dash from cover to cover then it takes something away from the game for me.

Everyone his own preferance, but I do think you're wrong about the hill sniper thing. If someone gets flanked and the flanker gets a clear shot, the sniper is dead anyway, regardless whether he carries 2 weapons or not. (assuming the guy flanking KOS)

Edited by Snowball

Im not sure how I feel about it, on one hand yes it would be much easier but on the other, it might be a little too easy to have a quick change like that..

Everyone his own preferance, but I do think you're wrong about the hill sniper thing. If someone gets flanked and the flanker gets a clear shot, the sniper is dead anyway, regardless whether he carries 2 weapons or not. (assuming the guy flanking KOS)

You focused on one sentence.  The sniper comment was just a minor thing I brought up.  I was mainly talking about how it would take away from tactics by letting you just whip out a sniper when a long range firefight starts.

I personally would like the game to be a proper sandbox and allow players to carry as many guns as they please.

But with great reductions in speed, stamina and efficiency.

Guns shouldn't be able to fit in a bag unless disassembled, which means they'd need slings and having even one loose gun should make an awful racket.

Don't limit the players, give them options and realistic drawbacks.

Not many snipers choose to carry an assault rifle.

That should really come through guns should be some of the heavier items and ammo should be rare.

One major for me would be having the zombies run at about the speed you could run with the bare minimum and a gun.

People would throw melee weapons aside when they find a bayonet.

Weight management is what we need.

Reward a tactical group that can split their gear sensibly, allow them to loose zombies by running, force a stupid group with axes, masks, helmets, mountain backpacks and rifles to kill zombies to get away from them.

I dont think amount of weapons should be the problem, but rather a weight. So if you choose to carry 4 rifles then a full backpack of beans is out of question, etc.

The only way I would like to see it changed is an animation that lets you switch primaries without having to manually drop one to switch them. The whole animation would take a good 5 seconds, then you would have switched your primaries without having to drop one first.

I dont think you should be able to run a full speed with 2 primaries, there has to be a trade off. It would be the same as it is now, just you dont have to drop one to switch them.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

Personally, i believe once they add zoom for the Acog and PU scopes and allow you to choose fire-mode with the M4, you'll be able to Mid-range snipe just fine with an M4. Really, I carry four guns currently. M4, Sawn-off, FNX45, Magnum. The only issue that I have, is that I actually don't have allot of food. Sure, I'm in a "Healthy" state with light green everything, I don't have the materials to keep that up for long if I have too. Also, I have a shortage of Medical supplies, by my buddy carries 2 medkits anyways...

I think the current system is too generous. There should be NO carrying rifles on your shoulder, unless you find a sling (or make one using rope, or duct tape), and then only one. 

I mentioned this a few days ago in the Pending Changelog thread though I thought it must have been mentioned before. I am totally in favour of the two gun ability. I think it is retarded that my character can only carry a melee weapon on its right shoulder

Anyway what i also said was why should there be all kinds of restrictions? How heavy is a Mosin and how heavy is a fire axe? Is the difference so great that performance punishments need to be considered? If you are going to go down this avenue then why not institute a fitness ability too, where a character becomes stronger the longer it survives to represent the impact of physical exertion. Tramping up and down the map with a load on your back for hours and hours should affect a body. You could say, for example, that a character that has survived for 50 hours at the healthy level is perhaps 10% stronger than a Newb, with gradations up to 100% fitter than a Newb after 500 hrs (or something).

Regardless, give us the shoulder choice to decide what to carry and where!

I think the current system is too generous. There should be NO carrying rifles on your shoulder, unless you find a sling (or make one using rope, or duct tape), and then only one. 

Rope would fix that and provide a use for it, also sewing kit and rags etc etc

You don't need 2 primary weapons. You can already carry around 4 guns at once.

I do and I'm using the improvised courier backpack

I have 1 Blaze in hand which is my primary

1 SKS on my back

1 FNX45 in the pack

1 357 in the pack

HOW MANY MORE GUNS DO I NEED TO CARRY?

it makes sense that you have to set the gun down because irl carrying this many guns is frickin rediculous. What you're asking for is 3 primary weapons plus any guns you have in your pack. Add to this if I wanted to I COULD carry a sawn off if i dump the rest of my food and I'm using one of the smallest backpacks in the game.

If i'm allowed to carry 2 rifles on my back that means I can carry another 1 in my hands. THAT'S 3 RIFLES plus whatever you have in you backpack

C'mon man...

1391526_o.gif

Edited by Duenan
  • Like 1

I personally would like the game to be a proper sandbox and allow players to carry as many guns as they please.

But with great reductions in speed, stamina and efficiency.

Let's please get away from an approach that makes everyone run around as a one-man-army, rather team up with fellow survivors and form a squad whith different people specializing in different weapons/ jobs.

A main aspect of the game should be about making decicions imho, if you chose to carry a mosin for long ranged fights you should not be able to carry as well a m4 and a shotgun.

Also:  it would benefit server hoppers even more as they could/ would not only farm one weapon/ ammotype but a whole arsenal.

Edited by daisho

you can already carry two rifles at once, one in your hand and one on your back. -1

Yes, and it comes with the disadvantage of running slower while running around with a drawn gun and having to pick up stuff everytime you put something else other than that weapon in your hands.

I mean you can carry a primary weapon, a pistol and an axe, ain't that more than enough already? I personally don't see any point in lonewolfing and running around as one-man-army...

Edited by daisho

Guns need to be able to be disassembled to fit in back packs else maybe you should be able to find rifle straps and of course gun cases

I'm not really fussed by this too much as long as I have a weapon with some actual ammo I'm pretty farken happy ^_^

@daisho

yes, that are the problems that come with it.
you have that gun in your hands to have it ready to fire and not to let it jump around on your back.
you have the other weapon on your back, which jumps around when running and in sprint, just
imagine hanging there two weapons, jumping at each other.

having two long and heavy rifles on the back and one in the hands, which would be the
logical opportunity is not realistic at all regarding mobility and if you doubt that, try it in real life
running with full gear, three rifles and a backpack for a kilometer cross country.