synystr

I've heard troubling rumours...(no helis)

That depends on how DayZ SA handles base building.  

Yes, you could do this in the mod but hopefully the devs take into the consideration the things that ruined the mod for a lot of people.

If not being able to get in a helicopter ruined the mod for anyone, they should have learned to play with more than just one toy out of the toy box.  95% of the people I saw flying helicopters in the mod had never taken the two minutes to learn the controls in the tutorial in ArmA 2, and promptly crashed them upon take-off.  The game's appeal is hunting other players, being hunted by other players, and knowing when anyone dies, including yourself, you respawn as if you just bought the game.

Edited by OhNoes
  • Like 1

OhNoes I would agree with you that helicopters are just the fastest means of transportation and I don't get why people think of helicopters as such god like vehicle. In Take on Helicopters you can take out a little bird with five rounds to the tail rotor, counting the misses that's about only one mag of 5.56. Though true they can be used to find bases fast but isn't that kinda part of having something that flys. I would like to see them in game or at least some fixed winged light sport aircraft.

OhNoes I would agree with you that helicopters are just the fastest means of transportation and I don't get why people think of helicopters as such god like vehicle. In Take on Helicopters you can take out a little bird with five rounds to the tail rotor, counting the misses that's about only one mag of 5.56. Though true they can be used to find bases fast but isn't that kinda part of having something that flys. I would like to see them in game or at least some fixed winged light sport aircraft.

That's Take on Helicopters.  In the mod the owners of a heli ruled the server plain and simple.  One heli to rule them all

• Like 1

Right and your talking about the mod. If they do add choppers to the game which flight model do you think the devs are going to use the old arma 2 characteristics or the ones from TOH?

Right and your talking about the mod. If they do add choppers to the game which flight model do you think the devs are going to use the old arma 2 characteristics or the ones from TOH?

It doesn't matter what flight model they use.  Aside from hacks, Heli's ruined DayZ, plain and simple.  Once a group has a heli, they own the map.

Well, helis did not ruin the mod for me and Isn't that the point for having any type of vehicles, to own the map due to your speed. That's how I see it in my opinion.

This just gets better and better...

The flying Russian tank?

Why not?  Let's just say fuck the implausible scenario of a zed apocalypse altogether and get the entire ARMA armoury up in here....

Why not an Abrams? APCs, maybe an Apache?

There just isn't enough face-palms in the world for this.

The Mi-17 is no flying tank, it's just an Mi-8 with better engines and carrying capacity. It CAN be equipped with machine guns, but usually isn't. 

If they get rid of military helis, then all the airfields should be re-done as civilian ones. Its gonna look so strange finding civ gear at such an obviously military base lol. I honestly don't mind if we don't have armed ones (but I would prefer if there was at least 1). Then make Balota and NEA civ, with these type or fixed wing. Then have NWA as only mill airfield on map, and where the huey spawns. Might even make it a PvP hotspot again :)

I mean cmon...."The Walking Dead" even ripped the huey idea from Dayz at the beginning of season 3. Its like the second most iconic Dayz symbol, after ofc Dayz propelled the humble tin of heinz beans to iconic status  :)

Nothing needs to change. All the heli's left and we're left stuck here without transport other than cars.

• Like 2

OK if Dean adds choppers he should add stinger missile launchers too.

LOL.  WTF

When Zombies no longer glitch through walls and when we no longer break legs from using stairs........... then we will talk about the possibility of helis on this broken ass core.

Seriously, you want to see helis on this broken ass game?     What kind of physics problems and controls issues can you imagine we would see if they took a stab at aircrafts?

• Like 1

some of the best fun i had in the mod involved helis !

so yes i would love them in.

what ruined it for many with helis was admins who gave them selves helis or restarted if heli lost or looked to see where they were on their server.

so its not the helis more the serverside.

the great battles either flying them or taking elektro or churno in them is always great.

If they leave out helis, how do we counter dragons? can't see it happening tbh.

• Like 1

100+ helis (FULLY REPAIRED) instant refueling / 24/7 daylight / 3PP ON...

100+ helis (FULLY REPAIRED) instant refueling / 24/7 daylight / 3PP ON...

The horror!

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what flight model they use.  Aside from hacks, Heli's ruined DayZ, plain and simple.  Once a group has a heli, they own the map.

Actually it very much matters...  IF helis are given extremely realistic flight models requiring SIM experience, or real world knowledge then finding a pilot (especially in this game) is going to be just as hard as finding a heli...

In the end, I don't want helis at all, but if they are to be added they need to be extremely realistic.

• Like 1

Again, another example of a touchy, emotional member of this forum. You point out the flaw in their logic and they insult you. Signs of a fragile ego.

What takes more time and effort than fixing/maintaining and fueling a helicopter?

Have you ever piloted a heli in the mod? The map is still incredibly large and is not so easy to acquire vehicles. You also forget to realise that the point in having another vehicle when you have a heli is pretty much redundant.

As a survival aspect of the game having armed helis makes for an increbily fun experience. Having to hide when they fly over and having one chase you is thrilling? But we just see more and more cry from casuals that want to play a game co-op vs AI.

What a terrible comment -- just shows that you're one of those losers that cream for the idea of choppers in DayZ alpha. 

What makes more sense in an apocolypse?

Guy driving truck or guy flying chopper?

In your pathetic comment you fail to address the irrelevance of choppers in a scavenging scenario: to carry heli-rotors in your backpack and fix a fully-operational helicopter makes no sense.  I mean the time aside the facts of having access to proper greases/lubes and aircraft fuel, why would you waste precious fuel to purposely strafe people in cherno? 

Invalid argument.  I see no redemption in keeping flying tanks in DayZ.

Go take YOUR crying somewhere else when they're out of DayZ, bud.

Edited by Lidskjalf

The solution to hiding cars and things from helis seem to be a tarp ( big guillie suit for your camp or vehicles) would be great give the sewing kit another thing to do.

While that is valid, it would be great if they didn't ARTIFACT from the air.

Coincidence maybe?

Helicopters were never the end game, sorry.  Maybe on a public/vanilla build with a whopping handful on the map, but not on 97% of DayZ servers.  Being able to go 21km in 5 minutes compared to a few hours, isn't exactly some huge accomplishment.  It's just means of transportation.  I like not having any cars right now, and when they get added you can best bet if you find someone with a working car and you want one, you're not going to be shooting a single bullet anywhere near that working car.

That makes no sense.  With a fully fueled heli you can find camps and guess what -- insta-geared!!!!

It really is such a big advantage that isn't needed.

That makes no sense.  With a fully fueled heli you can find camps and guess what -- insta-geared!!!!

It really is such a big advantage that isn't needed.

That's a triple post right there...

You're like a smoking lobbyist.

The discussion of many debaters is the general fact that how would you know how to properly fix one?  Let alone pilot one?  Let alone have power to fix it? Like ffs.

It was in ARMA and was in the mod.

As far as realism, it has no place.

• Like 1

That's a triple post right there...

You're like a smoking lobbyist.

37292310.jpg

The discussion of many debaters is the general fact that how would you know how to properly fix one?  Let alone pilot one?  Let alone have power to fix it? Like ffs.

It was in ARMA and was in the mod.

As far as realism, it has no place.

That is true but we are also playing a game, that happens to be set in an alternate universe, but to be honest I would not be mad if helicopters do not make it in. I mean the real reason I want them is because their fun. I think aircraft should be in game though I would like to see fixed wing aircraft take the place of helicopters.  

While that is valid, it would be great if they didn't ARTIFACT from the air.

Coincidence maybe?

Tarps will only look like big green squares on a brown background anyway. The graphical issues will never be fixed for this.

• Like 1

I mean the real reason I want them is because their fun. 

Hookers are a lot more fun, maybe we could add those in too ;)

• Like 3

Here's the fan boys that want choppers in DayZ.

dz5KxzW.jpg

Edited by Lidskjalf
  • Like 1