synystr

I've heard troubling rumours...(no helis)

Does no one take helis into account when building/choosing a campsite?.....plenty of secluded barns that offer great protection from heli camp hunters. Can even fit 2 or 3 cars inside the small white ones with one door. Or the long brown ones can fit loads of stuff. The lifetime of my camp is always shorter in these places because eventually someone comes to loot the place. But it stops heli guys from seeing them :)

Thinking about it some "shacks" or lone barns out in the wastes around the map edge could be a much easier fix for this. As apposed to messing with graphics to get coverage from the canopy, considering performance is a bit of an issue already  :)

I had stash points, hides, and caches but we always had a primary base. What the heli cannot see people bumble into looking for loot, which is whatever, you found it good for you. BUT now we're after you with our heli to reclaim what was liberated from us. Every solid team will at one point begin to vive for control, it's just the natural progression. What else is there besides gear, bases, and vehicles? I mean, shit, we even went out and dropped people in the sea to recover the boats just because "Fuck it, why not?".

This is exactly why people like myself, Etherimp, AryanBoogeyman, and others are opposed. We know what it will lead to, and like I stated before, It just becomes a battle of attrition for control of the server. That becomes the "end game" because that's the next progressive step.

• Like 1

No moron.

Ground vehicles are plenty powerful in that respect (base acquisition). They just take time and effort.

Helis completely nullify any kind of effort to acquire any other vehicle.

If you want to play a heli flight sim then go play TOH.

Again, another example of a touchy, emotional member of this forum. You point out the flaw in their logic and they insult you. Signs of a fragile ego.

What takes more time and effort than fixing/maintaining and fueling a helicopter?

Have you ever piloted a heli in the mod? The map is still incredibly large and is not so easy to acquire vehicles. You also forget to realise that the point in having another vehicle when you have a heli is pretty much redundant.

As a survival aspect of the game having armed helis makes for an increbily fun experience. Having to hide when they fly over and having one chase you is thrilling? But we just see more and more cry from casuals that want to play a game co-op vs AI.

One Helicopter to rule them all.

This is the crux of the argument.

Is DayZ a survival game, or is it a military supremacy game?

If I had an operational aircraft in a zombie apocalypse, I'd use it to get the fuck out of there - not to assert territorial control over the area and fuck up other people's survival.

Helicopters don't contribute to any other part of the game except the military aspect - they're an offensive weapon, not a survival tool. This isn't a mod for a military combat sim any more - it's a standalone title with its own setting and objectives. Helicopters are fun - no doubting that - but do they not just wreck the gameplay balance and turn the whole thing into a helicopter acquisition contest?

• Like 5

The solution to hiding cars and things from helis seem to be a tarp ( big guillie suit for your camp or vehicles) would be great give the sewing kit another thing to do.

Two reasons why I quit playing the mod:

1) Hackers

2) Servers where the admin and their buddies fly around killing everyone.

Whoever owns the heli runs the server.  Plain and simple.  They give a complete unfair advantage to fresh players who can't defend themselves.  You can't hide in trees or anywhere that's not in a building.  Plus in the mod, the majority of buildings you couldn't enter so finding a place to hide was almost impossible and even if you did hide, you'd end up starving to death because you couldn't move.

We'll also have to wait and see what happens.  For fuck sakes, this is early alpha.  Nothing is in the game yet, not even bicycles so quit asking and begging for helicopters because it's so far down the list that no one cares.  But do not worry, once Dean is out of the picture, in 10 months or so, the devs at BiS who only know how to do military sims will most likely turn this into more of an Arma game than a DayZ.

• Like 1

Derrrr lets build this game on the ToH engine and then have NO helicopters .... makes sense.  Helicopters are nothing more than fun target practice, you never feel more exposed than when your sitting in that damn gunner seat.

**altho I do agree military helis shouldn't be in the SA, but a couple little birds or something would be fine.  If you can't shoot somebody flying in a giant glass bubble then quit the damn game.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

You lost me at

...that Dean was saying...

I don't care anymore about what he says or does, i don't like quitters. All i know is that i ain't buying anything hes involved into ever again.

• Like 1

You lost me at

I don't care anymore about what he says or does, i don't like quitters. All i know is that i ain't buying anything hes involved into ever again.

Yes, yes, jolly good. There are other threads for that, this one is about helicopters.

If they get rid of military helis, then all the airfields should be re-done as civilian ones. Its gonna look so strange finding civ gear at such an obviously military base lol. I honestly don't mind if we don't have armed ones (but I would prefer if there was at least 1). Then make Balota and NEA civ, with these type or fixed wing. Then have NWA as only mill airfield on map, and where the huey spawns. Might even make it a PvP hotspot again :)

I mean cmon...."The Walking Dead" even ripped the huey idea from Dayz at the beginning of season 3. Its like the second most iconic Dayz symbol, after ofc Dayz propelled the humble tin of heinz beans to iconic status :)

+1 for helicopters , large groups need final quests and i hope for military one like mi-17 

large groups need final quests 

Lol, wtf?   :huh:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :wacko:

• Like 1

You can call me an abusive douchebag all you want. There's clearly nothing anyone is going to say that is going to change your mind. You want helicopters in the game. That's fine. Just don't join the server I'm a regular on, because my squad will have the helicopters and we will be abusive douchebags with them. We'll fly all over the map scooping up all of the unique loot spawns (heli-crashes).. We'll be the first ones to loot NWAF an whatever other high value military loot spots. We'll hunt down your camps and we'll destroy any vehicles you manage to obtain.

Why? Because we're douchebags? No.. but because we're protecting our camp. If there are no vehicles on the map then nobody can find our camp. Our camp will be the biggest and the best on the server, and nobody will be able to touch it because we'll have eliminated any possible way for you to reach our camp other than by running 10k on foot.

Think you're going to shoot me down? Think again. I log on in the middle of the night while you sleep, because I work nights.. I'll fly around with my night vision and raid the entire map while you sleep, then happily park my helicopter back in my protected base, so you have no idea what happened to your vehicle or your camps, or who did it..

This sounds fun to you? This sounds like you have a way to counter-play what I'm doing? Okay! Bring them on. I'd like to see you try it. Even if I do log on during the day on the weekends, you won't shoot me down. Know how many times I've been shot down on Vanilla? ZERO.. not ever. And I've flown over Elektro and cleared out sniper hill a few dozen times with door gunners.

We get it! You love Heli's and you want them in the game! Cool! I love heli's too! Just don't come crying on the forums when people are "abusive douchebags" with something that you want in the game.

A poor choice of words on my part, my apologies. Thats more of an internal term that I use to characterize certain play styles, not something that I should use on a forum.

My counter measure to that particular play style is to play on a different server.

#1 rule of DayZ: Don't get attached to your gear. I promise not to cry on the forum when my camp gets raided and vehicles get stolen/destroyed.

I hope that we get armed hueys :)

• Like 1

They create a large rift between the power of an established group and the power of a fresh spawn. 

Shouldn't a squad be more powerful than a fresh spawn?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?@!?!~?!@?!?!@?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

!?!? Maybe?!?!?!

• Like 1

Again, another example of a touchy, emotional member of this forum. You point out the flaw in their logic and they insult you. Signs of a fragile ego.

What takes more time and effort than fixing/maintaining and fueling a helicopter?

Have you ever piloted a heli in the mod? The map is still incredibly large and is not so easy to acquire vehicles. You also forget to realise that the point in having another vehicle when you have a heli is pretty much redundant.

As a survival aspect of the game having armed helis makes for an increbily fun experience. Having to hide when they fly over and having one chase you is thrilling? But we just see more and more cry from casuals that want to play a game co-op vs AI.

You must be joking. Not easy to fly and completely own the map in under an hour?

I don't know what you are smoking but pass that shit over here.

Survival Sim... with modern working unsupported tech that in all reality would be one of the first things to go in the slide to the New Dark Age. Get real.

I played the mod from very early to the end and all the end game became was a heli hunt. Control of the air becomes control of the server. That is all.

If Rocket is smart he will not kill the end game content by using helis. While the Apocalypse Now feeling is fun and a rush, it messes the meta game up way too much to have a place.

Get your heli fix elsewhere. Working vehicles are even a bit of a stretch IMO. Severely limited sources of fuel should be implemented. None of this 500 vehicles and 30 helis - AUTO REFUEL  bullshit.  

• Like 2

+1 for helicopters , large groups need final quests and i hope for military one like mi-17 

This just gets better and better...

The flying Russian tank?

Why not?  Let's just say fuck the implausible scenario of a zed apocalypse altogether and get the entire ARMA armoury up in here....

Why not an Abrams? APCs, maybe an Apache?

There just isn't enough face-palms in the world for this.

• Like 1

This was a long time ago now but I know that one of the main reasons that Rocket decided to use the Take on Helicopters engine for DayZ was the advanced heli flight mechanics. It just doesn't seem logical to me that he would change his mind and not want to add them any more.

If there is going to be helicopters in the game, there should only be one per server and it should be a pain in the ass to get all the parts and fuel to fly the damn thing.  

Also, you can bet your ass that I will be shooting at that thing when it flies overhead and I will find out where you stash it so I can blow it up while you sleep.

• Like 2

This was a long time ago now but I know that one of the main reasons that Rocket decided to use the Take on Helicopters engine for DayZ was the advanced heli flight mechanics. It just doesn't seem logical to me that he would change his mind and not want to add them any more.

I remember that but I hope to hell he has the sense to realize what effect they have on the "end-game".

• Like 2

If there is going to be helicopters in the game, there should only be one per server and it should be a pain in the ass to get all the parts and fuel to fly the damn thing.  

Also, you can bet your ass that I will be shooting at that thing when it flies overhead and I will find out where you stash it so I can blow it up while you sleep.

You see, that is the worst of both worlds.

With only one heli the owners can stash it in an area inaccessible from ground or sea and completely own your ass, day and night.

I have been part of a team that did this and nothing empties a server faster.

Edited by AryanBoogeyman
  • Like 2

You see, that is the worst of both worlds.

With only one heli the owners can stash it in an area inaccessible from ground or sea and completely own your ass, day and night.

I have been part of a team that did this and nothing empties a server faster.

That depends on how DayZ SA handles base building.  

Yes, you could do this in the mod but hopefully the devs take into the consideration the things that ruined the mod for a lot of people.

• Like 1

...that Dean was saying helicopters shouldn't be in DayZ. I mean, it is his game (at least until the end of the year) and he can push it in any particular direction, but what would DayZ be with out helicopters? They are the end game. They create perilous parts runs around the map in vehicles, which have cause some of the most awesome DayZ moments I have ever experienced. And, when you do get it up in the air, that feeling of power is pretty damn addicting haha.

Conclusion: I really hope that this is just a rumour and not the truth.

Helicopters were never the end game, sorry.  Maybe on a public/vanilla build with a whopping handful on the map, but not on 97% of DayZ servers.  Being able to go 21km in 5 minutes compared to a few hours, isn't exactly some huge accomplishment.  It's just means of transportation.  I like not having any cars right now, and when they get added you can best bet if you find someone with a working car and you want one, you're not going to be shooting a single bullet anywhere near that working car.