doublebrain

ArmA 3 Stances in DayZ

NO just NO. The current one are great and lets keep them. BTW you are not a soldier that was stranded into chernarus land .. You are a civiliar survivor which is only trying to survive and you dont need no mil stances...

Hence why people suggested different civilian stances.

Just have different stances that look like civilian stances at different heights, eliminate some of the tacticool ones like urban prone and problem solved.

Hence why people suggested different civilian stances.

Just have different stances that look like civilian stances at different heights, eliminate some of the tacticool ones like urban prone and problem solved.

A person isn't locked into picking one of these stances for out of game. You do what's comfortable and efficient.

Give a person who hasn't handled a rifle before a wall at chest height and the person will probably lay the back of their support hand or the rifle itself on the wall to help shoot.

You don't have to be in the military to know how to stand (apart from that girl lean-back). A new civilian shooter would more likely hug as close to something solid as possible over an infantryman utilizing his training. A guy being shot at doesn't have to have had training to want to be as safe as possible while shooting.

A person isn't locked into picking one of these stances for out of game. You do what's comfortable and efficient.

Give a person who hasn't handled a rifle before a wall at chest height and the person will probably lay the back of their support hand or the rifle itself on the wall to help shoot.

You don't have to be in the military to know how to stand (apart from that girl lean-back). A new civilian shooter would more likely hug as close to something solid as possible over an infantryman utilizing his training. A guy being shot at doesn't have to have had training to want to be as safe as possible while shooting.

Give a random guy a rifle and there is no way he would go into urban prone or would his body language ever remotely look like that in arma 3.

The body language in arma 3 is almost comical its like they studied hundreds of hours of youtube videos of mall ninjas shooting at paper targets.

Give a random guy a rifle and there is no way he would go into urban prone or would his body language ever remotely look like that in arma 3.

The body language in arma 3 is almost comical its like they studied hundreds of hours of youtube videos of mall ninjas shooting at paper targets.

Oh of course. Laying on your side to shoot isn't something I'd expect to see. Asking for a manually adjustable stance like it were a certain Tom Clancy game where you hold the stance button and move your mouse up and down/left and right to control exactly how much you want to expose would be asking a little much from DayZ.

What I'm getting at is the common "W-w-we're n-not military guys. We're un-t-t-trained civilians ingame. We shouldn't know how to do X!" explanation is a horrible response people throw around here when a lot of the topics in question would be quite straightforward.

What I'm getting at is the common "W-w-we're n-not military guys. We're un-t-t-trained civilians ingame. We shouldn't know how to do X!" explanation is a horrible response people throw around here when a lot of the topics in question would be quite straightforward.

Agreed simply because I do not view the stances as something that is needed to be taught adjusting ones height to shoot out of windows or any object would be instinctual.

However what I think people are against is the asthetic of the stances in Arma 3 and how they are comically mall ninja operator.

I would imagine those same people would be all for a simplified stance system that has a civilian aesthetic.

• Like 1

Agreed simply because I do not view the stances as something that is needed to be taught adjusting ones height to shoot out of windows or any object would be instinctual.

However what I think people are against is the asthetic of the stances in Arma 3 and how they are comically mall ninja operator.

I would imagine those same people would be all for a simplified stance system that has a civilian aesthetic.

Glad we're on the same page.

If DayZ is supposed to be the players individual story (This is DayZ, this is your story), why shouldnt this be in? I have training in stances and tactics, so why cant I use them ingame just because some guy says that its not realistic?

And if you want realism ao bad, add in an insanity system. Cause the random kids running around killing peiple for fun all day sure as hell would be crazy enough that they woulda been killed long before. Want more realism? Buy a new CD key everytime you die. Actually, delete the game. Permadeath=realism

• Like 1

Well I say yes to this too. Even if i didn't have any training what so ever in tactics, if someone shot at me, I would peek not standing up straight to see whats going on. I don't see that many using them on Arma III, and the same thing will go for Dayz. But they should be there non the less.

Can't you make a poll about it so we get a feel for how many that wants it and not.

If DayZ is supposed to be the players individual story (This is DayZ, this is your story), why shouldnt this be in? I have training in stances and tactics, so why cant I use them ingame just because some guy says that its not realistic?
And if you want realism ao bad, add in an insanity system. Cause the random kids running around killing peiple for fun all day sure as hell would be crazy enough that they woulda been killed long before. Want more realism? Buy a new CD key everytime you die. Actually, delete the game. Permadeath=realism

Haha! Nice one. :)

If not all instances, please add the ones for peeking over grass, in first person mode while in prone stance the grass will block your vision but if you go crouch stance for having a better look you will be very exposed.

I'd think that these guys would probably do similar stuff, just really replicating what they see on TV and shit, realistic or not. I'm an untrained teenager. I can lean up and down. Keeping my feet out like that in a stance would come to me, too, if only because I've seen it on TV and in movies.

That's probably where'd they'd get 99% of their military "training" from.

For you "It's not just military stances" guys, yes you are wanting military stances so you can get better positioning when aiming so don't kid yourselves.  No, we do no need those mil stances from Arma 3.

They have to do something about the stance-system. It's too clunky for first-person play, and I think that's one of the reasons why we are getting less and less 1PP-servers. For example if you're on a roof and want to peek over the edge then it's impossible to do without exposing your entire body from 360 degrees.

I also think the movement system is better in Arma 3, the running speed isn't insane like it's in DayZ. Everyone are not zig-zagging like crazy to avoid bullets.. You can choose your running stance so you don't have to move like a snail indoor to have your gun out.

Personally I think it would be perfect if they just implemented the movement from Arma 3, it's been a year now and movement is a disaster for first-person players. Although I can understand how this doesn't bother the inexperienced players that just use 3PP to do everything.

For you "It's not just military stances" guys, yes you are wanting military stances so you can get better positioning when aiming so don't kid yourselves.  No, we do no need those mil stances from Arma 3.

Come on, knucklehead. It doesn't take a trianed man to want to peek out only enough to be able to shoot while exposing yourself as little as possible.

• Like 1

It sounds like you want the game to as a clunky as possible because only military professionals know common sense in your opinion.

Come on, knucklehead. It doesn't take a trianed man to want to peek out only enough to be able to shoot while exposing yourself as little as possible.

Actually it does otherwise any moron would be going to war out east. Oh wait.... Murica

Actually it does otherwise any moron would be going to war out east. Oh wait.... Murica

What about what I proposed a while ago of shooting stances like arma 3 but with civilian asthetics and not as many variations.

None of the silly mall ninja half crouches or urban prone that I doubt anyone even uses.

Instead a vastly simplified stance system that looks like a regular civilian shooting , sitting down etc.

The stances in Arma 3 are of those of a highly trained soldier something the survivors in Dayz are not.

@vz_cms.jpg

While amazing these stances would need to be civilized for Stand Alone.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613542/magpul-dynamics-art-of-the-tactical-carbine-dvd-4-disc-set-volume-2-2nd-edition

http://haleystrategic.com/store/dvd.php

You are now aware civilians too can learn such high speed military assault stances and tactics. Contrary to popular opinion the world's militaries don't implant some type of proprietary coding that restricts such movements to their own members and restrict civilians from copying them. Google "3 gun competition" and tell me such stances are prohibited from civilians.

Lastly the players in dayz are not "some average civilian with no military experience". Average civilians can't do one quarter of what dayz player character can. In fact, the player characters in days are so resistant and trained in such survival skills and proficient in small arms and happened to survive in a civil war conflict on par with Ukraine or Syria and the down fall of law and local government.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613542/magpul-dynamics-art-of-the-tactical-carbine-dvd-4-disc-set-volume-2-2nd-edition

http://haleystrategic.com/store/dvd.php

You are now aware civilians too can learn such high speed military assault stances and tactics. Contrary to popular opinion the world's militaries don't implant some type of proprietary coding that restricts such movements to their own members and restrict civilians from copying them. Google "3 gun competition" and tell me such stances are prohibited from civilians.

Lastly the players in dayz are not "some average civilian with no military experience". Average civilians can't do one quarter of what dayz player character can. In fact, the player characters in days are so resistant and trained in such survival skills and proficient in small arms and happened to survive in a civil war conflict on par with Ukraine or Syria and the down fall of law and local government.

The stances in Arma 3 are overdone.

Even soldiers and military trained people don't look as ridiculous as the stances in arma 3.

When I mean civilized stances I am talking about stances that you would encounter with an untrained civilian. Also what survival skills that are so above what a nromal person can do are you talking about ?

Opening a can of food ? sharpening a knife ? skinning an animal ?

Any normal joe would do that.

The devs have stated before in the past that these are not military trained personnel and that they purposely want them to not only look like civilians but animate like them too.

These aren't 3 gun competitors, these aren't veterans, these aren't even police trained civies. They are ordinary people stuck in a crummy situation.

0195041d70.png

Regardless of whether they can mimic stances that they probably have absolutely no clue or not the characters should move and look like Civilians and the functionality of Arma 3s stances could be duplicated in Dayz with a civilian aesthetic.

America what? I'm just a middle class Canadian citizen who likes shooting and has not been in the military.

I must be a real genius if I know to expose as little of my body to being shot as possible while nobody else who isn't in the military understands.

The stances in Arma 3 are overdone.

Even soldiers and military trained people don't look as ridiculous as the stances in arma 3.

When I mean civilized stances I am talking about stances that you would encounter with an untrained civilian. Also what survival skills that are so above what a nromal person can do are you talking about ?

Opening a can of food ? sharpening a knife ? skinning an animal ?

Any normal joe would do that.

The devs have stated before in the past that these are not military trained personnel and that they purposely want them to not only look like civilians but animate like them too.

Can you administer a blood bag or saline drip? Does everyone know how to give CPR or Set a broken leg? I know one of the devs said something about being a nobody with no set of skills but the fact that people can give involved medical care is very contradictory.

Can you administer a blood bag or saline drip? Does everyone know how to give CPR or Set a broken leg? I know one of the devs said something about being a nobody with no set of skills but the fact that people can give involved medical care is very contradictory.

Yes. Those are pretty common knowledge.

This is also with the assumption that the final product will even have these things as game mechanics. Everything and anything can be place holder trying to prove that these are anything but ordinary people this early because of what is obviously very early gameplay elements is futile.

Everything in the game is contradictory at this point, the fact that its a survival simulator yet people sprint like motorcycles and have unlimited stamina, the fact that you can cure large caliber gunshot wounds by simply putting on a tiny piece of cloth on it and then eating food.

The statement that these are ordinary survivors comes straight from the horses mouth and by all indications is hopefully the direction they intend to take and that is why thus a straight copy of the Arma 3 stance system with its ridiculously dramatic tacticool animations would not be a good fit.

You are now aware civilians too can learn such high speed military assault stances and tactics.

Yes, they can. But why would they add some high speed low drag shit when they could give you the exact same feature with normal people positions? Civilians can also learn Taekwondo or Wing Chun... what looks more appropriate for the unarmed attack, martial arts moves or the standard fresh spawn punch? It's is the same either way, you get to adjust your stance. May as well have it look "normal".

Yes. Those are pretty common knowledge.

really? Can you administer a IV? It's pretty involved, in fact it is such an uncommon skill, members of the military have to attend a CLS course to learn it.

he statement that these are ordinary survivors comes straight from the horses mouth

Just like the statement that 5.45x39 wasn't going to be put in game.

Civilians can also learn Taekwondo or Wing Chun... what looks more appropriate for the unarmed attack, martial arts moves or the standard fresh spawn punch? It's is the same either way, you get to adjust your stance. May as well have it look "normal".

Taking cover and exposing yourself as little as possible is far easier to learn than combatives. One takes time to learn, the other can be learned in an afternoon.

Taking cover and exposing yourself as little as possible is far easier to learn than combatives. One takes time to learn, the other can be learned in an afternoon.

I think we are both advocating for the same thing.

Yet somehow we are not agreeing.

I am all for Arma 3 style combat stances I want to be able to take cover and not expose myself.

That being said the aesthetics of the animation and the way it looks has to not look like arma 3 for me. You can accomplish what you want without looking as ridiculously military like in arma 3.

For example instead of this stance.

HQVoHyo.jpg

Instead have this civilian stance

WXtR6jb.jpg

Instead of this

mAr9Bxz.jpg

This civilian stance would work

CmxAqFP.jpg

As for urban prone and some of the corny never used "tacticool" stances in arma 3 those can be outright removed.