GriefSlicer (DayZ)

Do you believe people who shoot on sight are terrible at DayZ?

Ok first, i never shoot on sight, i am a rediculous good person ingame and don't want to change. Game suppose to have zombies and apocalypse as main enemy not bandits and there is a difference between, "i play a bandit for fun" and "I play just to annoy others, to grief".

Playing for few weeks, met many players from hardass bandits to groups of German "special forces" soldiers who roam the map and help others and hilarious player who run naked while playing trolling music. These were friendly.

For me some ruin the experience (that sexist jokes some players did to a female player) and i think since KOS is part of the game they should add a Karma, "marking", or faction system just to make things a little more clear. I completly understand the hardcore ways of Day Z, accept them, love them. But NO you can't shoot fresh spawns because you have fun and other stuff.

Shooting on sight is massive topic in DayZ and it is something that rocket has successfully slightly reduced the people that actually shoot on sight which is great, but there are still many people who shoot anyone sight no matter what. The thing I cannot really grasp around is that when you approach a person who shoots on sight and you say "can you please explain to me why you are shooting on sight?" they are stuck for words and I believe deep down inside the cogs of their brain they are thinking "He has got a point".

Today I was faced with a guy and a girl who seemed like they were camping the hospital roof with their M4's. I walked past the hospital out in the open and put my gun away just to show them I was friendly just in case they were just looking for loot or trying to hold people up. All of a sudden I heard a crack from the M4 and I ran off running behind a building. I slowly swerved through the streets of elektro and found an opportunity to have a chat with these confused players. Standing in third person I initiated chat asking them "why are you shooting on sight?". I talked for five minutes without them replying until I pissed them off enough to actually start talking. He started with saying "Nahhhhp" until the girl joined in claiming "I had my gun out and that is why we shot at you" after I asked "Why did you shoot at me?". I then proceeded to ask "So why are you shooting fresh spawns on sight" and she of course claimed "We only shoot geared people like you" (LATER WHEN I LEFT I WATCHED THEM FOR 10 MINUTES SHOOT FRESH SPAWN AFTER FRESH SPAWN). I kept protesting against her claims, but she kept talking excuses out of her ass which really left me to the conclusion people who shoot on sight do not know what they are doing and they don't really have a counter argument to "You are bad at DayZ, because you shoot on sight". Later on I kindly left saying "Well A girl like you must be bloody fat" and she replies in a muffled voice "yeahsdfhdfdfdfdfseuif". I have approached dozens of people who shoot on sight in DayZ to have a chat and they either do not talk altogether or they reply in smart ass comments attempting to change the subject at points.

Just a few questions

If you shoot on sight why do you do it?

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?

Should they be ashamed of themselves?

Very original topic. Define "being good" at DayZ. Are we talking aim and situational awareness? Or the ability to try to make awkward, sometimes completely pointless conversation with other players?

I generally KOS unless I'm 100% certain I'm in no immediate danger. I don't need other people at this point in the game; the only reason me and my friends group up is to kill/torture other players. What is another player going to offer me? I don't need their help in-game, and I already have a long enough friends list.

TL;DR:

OP is mad.

• Like 1

came back to this thread being a hot topic as I happily walked into elektro today hoping to meet up with some new people and have fun my brains were cast across the pavement by a mosin. This type of KOS is just not on and really I do not understand the logic in this one.

By the way guys thanks for keeping it friendly and I am editing the post as I am merely talking about the people camp

Edited by GriefSlicer

came back to this thread being a hot topic as I happily walked into elektro today hoping to meet up with some new people and have fun my brains were cast across the pavement by a mosin. This type of KOS is just not on and really I do not understand the logic in this one.

By the way guys thanks for keeping it friendly

KoS will keep happening until the devs fine tune the elements to actually play a role.  Mr sniper won't be taking shots so openly once they've alerted every single infected in the area to their exact location and ammo being scarce.  Don't get me wrong, adding more elements won't stop or break the habit but it will cause a lot more deaths to the KoS'er.  

• Like 1

By the way guys thanks for keeping it friendly and I am editing the post as I am merely talking about the people camp

Really? You don't understand? REALLY?

There are people in this game. There are guns in this game. You should expect to be shot at every corner. Start playing this like a combat simulator, it's the only way you're going to survive. "Happily walking into Elektro" is a sure way to die, and entirely your own fault.

P.S: There's nothing wrong with killing on sight. If people would stop whining about it and figure out ways to avoid these situations, we'd have 1,000 fewer threads made in General Discussion.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2

If you shoot on sight why do you do it? --> Realistic reasons: Don't want to die/Items/He did something bad | Real reason: It just makes fun. There are people who just enjoy PvP. You fight against somebody and you win. It's just the best action. No matter which game is is. Minecraft (Hardcore Guild PvP server with griefing)/ Star Craft II / World of Warcraft / DotA 2: Every "competitive" game has the same basic principle: Get strong and bash others. Some people like to stay in the woods only and survive with lakewater and (not yet) animal meat. I can't understand how this should be fun but I still don't judge you.

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight? --> I am not bad, maybe my character is bad but I just play the game like I love it.

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight? --> Obvious

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience? --> Only the 30 seconds after a death, then I reflect why I didn't get him first and be happy with the memory

Should they be ashamed of themselves? --> Guys who kill in the area around the south-coast: yes. Everywhere else: No

Edited by Nesuma

Really? You don't understand? REALLY?

There are people in this game. There are guns in this game. You should expect to be shot at every corner. Start playing this like a combat simulator, it's the only way you're going to survive. "Happily walking into Elektro" is a sure way to die, and entirely your own fault.

P.S: There's nothing wrong with killing on sight. If people would stop whining about it and figure out ways to avoid these situations, we'd have 1,000 fewer threads made in General Discussion.

A pretty bold statement, but more than half of the people here believe that camping coastal areas is just stupid. Most people claim they KoS for "self defence" which is absolutely fine, but camping fresh spawns is a whole new story. Zombies need to be a major threat to people who camp and I hope rocket sees this light and goes for it. There is no real excuse for camping except for griefing and general "fun". Edited by GriefSlicer

PvP is where the fun is, especially in this game (talking more about mod since SA is far from being playable).

It is simply more challenging to compete against other players than very limited AI.

DayZ simply takes it to another level by using engine that treats realism versy seriously and takes out factors such as player level, character skill etc. The only importnat thing is what the player sitting in front of his PC can do. Sure gear plays important factor but outsmarting, outmanouvering is still better.

On top of that I love the fact that zombies bring extra level of difficulty and I have actually work hard for my gear. There is no bullsht like in some FPS games when you can always spawn with your favourite weapon. Here, you use whatever you can find at the moment to kill the enemy. Whether it is shiny sniper rifle, rusty AK or crossbow with a single bolt. And let me tell you something, there's nothing better than killing someone who completly outgears you by being smarter.

Hell I still can remember situations like: dropping AK geared player with a  xbow bolt to the face, or taking down 2 man team roaming NEA when all I had was Lee and  a single mag.

It's the easiest way to play so some people will automatically play that way.

No, I think he meant sitting in the forest and avoiding players is more difficult than shooting others.

There is 2 different types of pure KOS players. First are the ones that camp the coast and shoot anything in their wake, usually fresh spawns. That doesn't require much skill but bad guys are a necessity for good guys to exist and vice versa really, i.e. ying and yang, it is the circle of life. Then there are the people who are roaming through the map and KOS, which takes much more skill.

Either way none of them are douche bags because they are playing the way they want to play in a sandbox game. e.g. Some people get off by killing zombies, others by killing new spawns etc., it is a matter of what makes the game fun for you, it is a matter of taste. You may not like it or enjoy it but complaining about it and claiming that your way of playing is "better" would be a douche bag move, considering this is a sandbox game.

I also think that you are a douche bag for calling that girl "bloody fat".

This^

Without people KOS'ing this game would be boring as shit.

No, I think he meant sitting in the forest and avoiding players is more difficult than shooting others.

Wow... you anti-kos people actually think this? Sitting in a bush in the forest avoiding people is hard?

Wow... you anti-kos people actually think this? Sitting in a bush in the forest avoiding people is hard?

I don't know. I just think this is what DemonGroover was trying to say.

Read my previous posts on this page before you start insulting me anc calling anti-kos person >:[

• Like 1

A pretty bold statement, but more than half of the people here believe that camping coastal areas is just stupid. Most people claim they KoS for "self defence" which is absolutely fine, but camping fresh spawns is a whole new story. Zombies need to be a major threat to people who camp and I hope rocket sees this light and goes for it. There is no real excuse for camping except for griefing and general "fun".

Elektro is the official "enter at your own risk area". If you enter Elektro, expect to be shot at. If you don't like it, don't go there. There are plenty of other places on the map to explore further inland that are generally uninhabited.

It's the easiest way to play so some people will automatically play that way.

Because talking to you like I give a shit about you adds to the difficulty of the game.

"Hi there, pal, how are you?"

"Great sir, and you?"

"Oh, you know. Well, that was fun, prepare to die!"

":("

Yes, not shooting someone is such a hard playstyle. I mean, you have to use your voice and speak to another person... oooh, the skills involved.

This.

Also this.

lol i laughed on the " i hunt ppl who KOS" that in it self is KOS dont know why ppl cry about it and makes excuses to do it. bottom line is kill or be killed if the oportunity presents try to make a new friend....the only bad players are the ones who cry to much

I think people who shoot on sight are missing a pretty important part of the game. Banditry or a generally aggressive play style is one thing, of course, but I really think that human interactions are an important thing that makes DayZ into DayZ, and, by simply playing to colllect scalps, you are missing a lot of the game.

Still, if people think it's fun to do just that, then what can I do? Sandbox is sandbox. The only thing that should be done to stop KOS in my opinion, is adding more alternatives and difficulties to that play style. No restrictions.

Yep I have more fun meeting up with a guy and swapping tips or items or stories. When that actually happens I'll let you know ;)

They need to get 2 bugs fixed....zombies being able to walk up stairs and adding about 10,000 zombies in the big major cities and airfields.  Also a great update would be when a player is killed the corpse turns to a zombie also.  And to make it that if a shot is fired the zombies within a 1/4 mile home in on where the shot came from.  This could really keep bandits and KOS in check.  Imagine the hospital or fire station filled with 1000 zombies or little sniper hill having a 1000 zombies roaming up the hill side. 

I'd run the entire map, shooting my gun and collect every zombie and deposit them on NW airfeild. I'd come from the south, firing my gun as I came over the hill. All eyes would turn to me, everyone reading their weapons, scoping in, about to shoot when behind me, 20,000 zombie rush over the hill hot on my heels.

If I saw some dude do that I would fucking love it! lol That would be brilliant.

"If you shoot on sight why do you do it?"

Because it's fun to shoot. To see if I hit. To get a reaction when I'm bored. To check their loot. To not have him around when I loot etc.

"can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?"

The game doesn't really have any way of rewarding you to not shoot, and there aren't any rules on how you play. Some people are rather safe than sorry, others see players are piñatas.

"What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?"

They may play the game they've payed for however they want, as long as the server admins let them.

"Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?"

Um, I understand that you think that based on the question. Yeah some are, but not all.

"Should they be ashamed of themselves?"

Come the fuck on.

I'll kill you on sight because it's fun. End off

Edit: QQ threads like this make it even more rewarding.

Edited by HazZarD87
  • Like 2

lol at this topic.

If you set up shop in any area for the specific purpose of KOSing people it is sadly apparent that you are not only lazy but just plain bad at DayZ. Lowest common denominator and all that.

If by chance encounter I am killed by a player who uses actual tactical maneuver to best me - well played and Good Game.

There is a huge difference.

The Arma series of games gives a huge advantage to the immobile, tent pitching jerk offs. Challenge yourself and don't be one of them.

if the person who KoSed you is bad at the game, then you got owned by someone whos bad at said game.

If you shoot on sight why do you do it?

I don't

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?

Some of em got good aim! :p But no, there isn't a ton to do right now so the more I play this game the less I really care if I get shot.

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?

Meh. whatever floats your boat. Just wish you'd talk and find out I really don't care to do anything to you and usually am just looking to go right on by you.

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?

The first few times, yes I did. Now I know they most likely are either newer and get scared or just bored.

Should they be ashamed of themselves?

No.

Being KOS'd doesn't make them a bad player, it makes me a bad player for not minding my surroundings! :o

In order to be killed on sight you have to be in sight. ;)

• Like 1

Anyone who says they KOS because someone had their gun drawn is a liar and a moron.  First consider the fact that YOU have your gun out ready to KOS like a douche.  Then consider the fact that since 80% of players, probably more, play this way...you would be an idiot NOT to have your weapon ready to defend yourself.  This is especially true depending on your location, major cities or air fields for example.  SO that is a pretty lame reasoning on behalf of the KOS community.  It really is the lamest way to play this game.  It pisses KOS'ers to hear it be spoken out loud because they think they are badass.  But it doesn't take a whole ton of skill to shoot someone who is unarmed, or doesn't even know you are there.  You don't get bragging rights sorry.  Sad Panda. 

That being said, KOS is never going to go away.  Hopefully the finished game mechanics push the community towards mutual cooperation or at least punish that game play style, or reward cooperative play more but that is months away and we don't really know what they have fully planned.  So don't cry about it.  Its a BS way to play, and it ruins the game, bur the only way to defeat it is for the hunted to become the hunters themselves or become so stealthy that you don't ever make contact with other players.  It exists so we have to deal with it.