GriefSlicer (DayZ)

Do you believe people who shoot on sight are terrible at DayZ?

I don't really believe in the consept of a "innocent" player in DayZ anymore. There are those who probably woulnd't harm a fly,

but often the case is quite different (atleast according to my experience). A fresh spawn is simply "friendly" untill he has a better

opportunity of making you regret you left him alive. That beeing said I don't really kill ungeared people unless I either think;

he's a spotter for a group of bandits (which there are alot of), or if he is blatanly trying to harm me in any form.

So trusting someone of beeing mr.friendly-peace-lover, could often get you killed. Which is why, I assume, so many

start KoSing which leads to more people doing the same. 

Hopefully I havn't made the same point as everyone else has, I apologize if this is the case.

PS; Humanity is a thing you find offline, generally. Cheers for reading.

If you shoot on sight why do you do it?: I always have a just cause. I'll only KoS if they're aiming at me or if they are a direct threat to me or other peaceful players. I'm the Dexter of DayZ, heh.

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?: I don't think this applies to me anymore. I used to shoot everything that moved back when I was a noob.

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?: I don't like them. DayZ is all about danger, but they should at least take their time and handcuff - make it interesting.

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?: Sometimes. Depends on the situation.

Should they be ashamed of themselves?: Only if they KoS without reason.

I Think the OP is trying to black and white by starting in the grey area in order to bring people gradually to their opinion, could be wrong it's happened before.

DayZ is a series of lesson's for example I was running ball's out thru the middle of a field north of NEAF, someone shot me. I survived that one but guess what, I'm not running balls out thru that area again, I'll be running thru a forest, a little off the beaten track.

With the situation given (hopping on empty servers and gear up, having private servers and gear up) I guess some people go for easy mode at the start (hop servers, gear up) and then are bored due to lack of content and basically got nothing else to do thatn KoS'ing everyone.

Others might be friendly souls but have died so damn often and got somewhat paranoid so they rather kill than get killed.

The problem is that you can't really judge situations when meeting people.

I'm a fairly new player and I personally plan to play friendly unless someone attacks me and I'm forced to defend myself.

So far - and I'm not exaggerating here - every encounter with another played ended up with me being dead and I most times was a fairly fresh spawn without any military equip.

Either they ganged me with a full group and mocked me when I was lying unconscious/dead on the floor, or I got sniped out of nowhere while walking around the area, or they are like "don't shoot I'm friendly just to slash an axe in my back the moment I turn around.

I only one time met a guy who did not kill me, we both were fresh spawns, he was new player and was asking for help how to fix his bleeding, I explained him, we ve been travelling together for a bit, having chitchat and actually enjoying the game...until we ran into a group of endgame geared players which killed us on sight without any hesitation...yeah...I guess 2 dudes running around in jeans and t-shirt without any weapons looking for food are a massive threat to a full squad of engame geared people bearing arms.

I get the whole survival thing but I wanna have the option to be able to trust people without having massive disadvantages from it.

The sad part is, whenever you mention the KoS-problem people go /thread and say it would be realism...

realism - imho - would be the complete opposite (people banding together and trying to keep up a certain level of civilazation) and would try to benefit from different abilities different people would add to the group.

I'm far from saying they should remove KoS in any way, people should be able to play the game they want to play it, no matter what, but there should be options for the people who want to actually team up and play along friendly with other players and there should be concequences for people who don't.

Because slaugthering unarmed and/ or undergeared people just to battlelog once you face an actual threat is neither challenging nor realism.

Edited by daisho
  • Like 1

i always feel bad when killing other Players!

really dont understand the logic of KOS ?!?  explain plz

Shooting on sight is massive topic in DayZ and it is something that rocket has successfully slightly reduced the people that actually shoot on sight which is great, but there are still many people who shoot anyone sight no matter what. The thing I cannot really grasp around is that when you approach a person who shoots on sight and you say "can you please explain to me why you are shooting on sight?" they are stuck for words and I believe deep down inside the cogs of their brain they are thinking "He has got a point".

Today I was faced with a guy and a girl who seemed like they were camping the hospital roof with their M4's. I walked past the hospital out in the open and put my gun away just to show them I was friendly just in case they were just looking for loot or trying to hold people up. All of a sudden I heard a crack from the M4 and I ran off running behind a building. I slowly swerved through the streets of elektro and found an opportunity to have a chat with these confused players. Standing in third person I initiated chat asking them "why are you shooting on sight?". I talked for five minutes without them replying until I pissed them off enough to actually start talking. He started with saying "Nahhhhp" until the girl joined in claiming "I had my gun out and that is why we shot at you" after I asked "Why did you shoot at me?". I then proceeded to ask "So why are you shooting fresh spawns on sight" and she of course claimed "We only shoot geared people like you" (LATER WHEN I LEFT I WATCHED THEM FOR 10 MINUTES SHOOT FRESH SPAWN AFTER FRESH SPAWN). I kept protesting against her claims, but she kept talking excuses out of her ass which really left me to the conclusion people who shoot on sight do not know what they are doing and they don't really have a counter argument to "You are bad at DayZ, because you shoot on sight". Later on I kindly left saying "Well A girl like you must be bloody fat" and she replies in a muffled voice "yeahsdfhdfdfdfdfseuif". I have approached dozens of people who shoot on sight in DayZ to have a chat and they either do not talk altogether or they reply in smart ass comments attempting to change the subject at points.

Just a few questions

If you shoot on sight why do you do it?

can you explain to me why you are not bad at the game if you shoot on sight?

What is your opinion on people who shoot on sight?

Do you think they are just pure douche bags that ruin your DayZ experience?

Should they be ashamed of themselves?

I think they should be ashamed of themselves. Surprisingly most of the KOS players come and write a big bs story about how they were so nice and helpful but then a mean bandit shot them and now they'l never trust anyone again.. Cry me a river. They just go and do it and make the situation worse. This is how a lot of bullies also start by been bullied.

The main thing about it i feel is people been cowardly and 'hoarding' their precious gear. They are so scared of the mere possibility of death they will shoot on site to remove any chance of that happening. Allowing someone to communicate could mean a small chance of them getting shot themselves and loosing their precious. Its cowardly. There is no excuse. Use type if you'v no mic. If your scared of someone, approach them concealed and communicate. If they do not respond or try to turn on you, then yes you have the right to defend yourself.

If everyone in Day Z did this, (they dont realise) there would be no game. There would be no need for survival elements, cooking, hunting, healing , etc etc. We may as well strip away all zombies and functions of the game, and make it a fast respawning death match. That is the way some people play the game. It is pointless.

There is also the 'troll' element which needs a mention. Over the last ten years the rise of social networks and internet culture has meant a lot of young kids especially fall into this 'troll' style of doing things solely to annoy or irritate other people. This is a very sad state of human and social interaction and shows the lack of humanity that many people have, to dedicate their time , especially in games & internet, to ruin other peoples experiences. I think the troll culture has sadly been part and parcel of Day Z and after 100 ish hours on Standalone, 200+ on the mod, and 100 on Arma 3 Breaking Point, I would say Day Z community consists of about 50% trolls, 40% bandits / KOS Noobs, and about 10 % people who actually try to enjoy the game for what it is.

I will add, if there were no bandits the game would loose some of its danger, human risk etc. I never ask for that. I just think the state of the game is so balanced towards banditting, and the community is so selfish and childish. I would love to see community driven ways to combat this immaturity and troll attitudes. I think the trusted medics are a fantastic group. Perhaps other events such as a 'survivors amnesty' or a 'cease fire' day could be arranged in the future.

It is a challenge to discuss this on these forums and I have found the people who strongly 'support' KOS, are the ones who get so stressed about discussing it and seem to want to quieten everyone from discussing it. KOS needs discussing! many would agree it ruins the mod and has ruined many peoples experience here to. We need to discuss it. I welcome KOS and bandits to come and have a good debate. it seems they are too scared to intiate human interaction (just like in game).

• Like 3

I can only tell you why I KOS.  Normally I am a lonewolf, but I do have a group that Iplay with, when we can get on at same times.  I only KOS when I am on overwatch for them.  If someone comes running up blindly, I let them know about the inc..  If someone is armed but their weapon is put up, and they are being carefull moving from cover to cover, I give a warning shot to get them to back off.  If however, the player has weapon out and is sneeking into the area ready to KOS, then and ONLY then will I shoot to kill without warning.  I take absolutally no joy in killing anyone, even if it is just a game.  In the mod, I tried playing KOS/sniping a few times.  Just never felt right.  I find it much more interesting to post up and watch how different players act/play.  Knowing I could kill someone at any time of my choosing is a powerful feeling.  And then there are the few times where I get to help someone, without them ever knowing who. Somtimes they do not even know they where helped at all, but rather think someone with bad aim shot at them.  Do not get me wrong, I am no hero!  I play as a survivalist.  I will not come give you food or water or gear.  I only help those who.....I deem worthy!

i always feel bad when killing other Players!

really dont understand the logic of KOS ?!?  explain plz

Is no logic for KoS because is no logic for Dayz ;)

closer thing to logic is simple - if guy dead he don't kill me :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

I enjoy pvP I looking for player sometime for kill because this give reward of feel good and loot

human is motivate by reward like pavlov dog

here is explain of mental process for me when I see player

he have gun?

do I have some need? 

is he threat for me?

if answer is yes for one or more I KILL with no remorse :thumbsup:  :P

I don't play Dayz for find friends I having plenty internet friend and real life friend I don't need more thankyou , also for friendship is need trust in dayz no time for this shit is only game so I don't worry about  :thumbsup:  ;)

on VERY RARE occasion I meet guy in game and we have instant connect, not possible for explain how is happen because every time is different unique situation but normal is we share joke and we both 'sense' no need for fight :)

but this is too much rare happen maybe 6 or 7 time for me in SA

so normal is I see you and my brain doing fast calculate like above and result is murder attack :thumbsup: :ph34r:

Hi,

This is my first post on these forums.

My view on this and it is my opinion, KOS is down to the situation.

I have killed and been killed on sight alot, yes it annoys me but then it is a survival game, people play the way they want, I only KOS if the other person is armed or I feel the person may be a threat to me or a team mate (armed or not).

I'll explain about being a threat, if I see someone start running towards me even if they have no weapon I will put them down with no remorse.

I have killed people on sight by accident, if im looting a building and someone comes running in through a door way and I'm on my own, I have shot them on reflex.

Do I feel bad about killing people on sight, nope.

That's my view only.

• Like 1

1) For no reason, most of the time i don't even check the dead body.

2) First of all, it's not my stupid actions that led myself to be spotted by someone, but yours (as in the victim of the KoS). If you are unable to play safe and think about something before doing it, then don't blame others when you get shot. If you know that the location is of high risk - then why enter it? And if you have to evaluate all of the possibilities, look at player list, scout the area, and always always remember that someone can log in behind you. So be paranoid.

3) Good on them, they will live to see another day.

4) No, I could type a couple lines about how people in real life would act in that sort of time and place. But is it really worth it?

5) Again nope. This is the cycle of life in dayZ, those who live by a gun die by a gun. Simple as, we will all die - but its the way you play will keep you alive longer than others.

For me it depends on the situation, sometimes trying to talk to someone is as good as getting killed, for example I was looking for red dot for my M4 up at NWAF when I see a guy up in the firestation. I take cover and quickly make my way to the fire station he is climbing the step so I hide by the lockers in the lobby of the station. As he walks out I see an M4 and Mosin on his body so I take aim and put 4 bullets in his back, out but not dead. I make my way to his body handcuff him and then gave him a bandage, epinephrine and a saline bag. Once I did that I told the guy I wasn't here to kill him but if he pulled a stupid I wouldn't hesitate to kill him. He obliged and I searched his gear and found a red dot scope.

While on other times if I hold the advantage I try to talk to people and be friendly. It all depends on the situation.

I don't think people who shot on sight are terrible, but people who shot on sight others that are no threat like fresh spawns are the ones that annoy me. I had a portable gas stove and gas container sitting in the middle of electro with a fire going, I hooked up my laptop audio out to my mic in and was playing the campfire song song. I had a small cult of 8 people sitting around the fire ll sitting when a terrible player came up into the pub about 50m away and grabbed his M4 the shot 200+ rounds killing us all, those people are bad.

TL;DR Most people who Shot on Sight are not bad, it depends on the situation but people in advantageous spots or who face unarmed (Not including ones trying to punch you) and kill hrm are terrible at the game, plain and simple.

Edited by LeeFriendField

Not to be rude, but don't you think shooting an innocent on sight is considered griefing as much as calling out slurs when you kill someone?

No, because one is supported while one is not. You can kick someone from a server for name calling and abusive language, but not for killing.

Everyone keeps bitching and moaning about KOS and it's getting old. Look, feel free to rationalize why people KOS to make yourself feel better; they're bad players, fat nerds, perma-virgins, small penises, whatever.

I tend to rooftop snipe in Cherno because it starts wars. It brings out the heroes and then I test my skills against 5+ people. If I kill them all, I get lots of free gear. If I kill a few and too many show up, I now have to sneak through a city teeming with angry people to escape. If I die, people get my loot and I had an adrenaline rush.

I don't always KOS, and I like positive interaction, but things get stale. Circling the map 90 times just looking for food gets boring. There are no threats outside of other players.

Once they add in more incentive for veteran players to work together, even with strangers, then perhaps we'll see less KOS. Be aware that KOS will never stop. Groups will always band together with the intent of "running" an area, or roaming to wipe out and plunder the resources of others. If you took out the risk of other players, this game would get crazy stale insanely fast.

I also think that you are a douche bag for calling that girl "bloody fat".

And to answer your overly melodramatic question "Should they be ashamed of themselves?" - I'd answer no more ashamed than someone who incredibly childishly says "Well a girl like you must be bloody fat" just because he or she doesn't like something.

All this white knighting, my sides are in orbit.

If someone said it to a male, you wouldn't batter an eyelid.

Edited by Inter

Once they add in more incentive for veteran players to work together, even with strangers, then perhaps we'll see less KOS. Be aware that KOS will never stop. Groups will always band together with the intent of "running" an area, or roaming to wipe out and plunder the resources of others. If you took out the risk of other players, this game would get crazy stale insanely fast.

And if everyone Killed on sight the game would be broken and would require no zombies/ survival aspects/ hunting etc. A quick spawn deathmatch is what you want . Banditing is fine, killing on sight is ruining the game.

Well I can tell you why people shoot on sight - it's the natural reaction from getting shot on sight all the time. If it's close range it's a given pretty much, you're both going to try and kill each other because you're going to assume that's what the other guy is going to do to you, especially if every encounter you've had has ended up with you dying after trying to talk to people (or just being shot in the back right away). 

At further distances, you have the opportunity to approach and talk to people.

...Banditing is fine, killing on sight is ruining the game.

game only ruin for guys who struggle to accept responsibility for own FAILURE to protect character :huh:

IF YOU DIE from 'zombie. from 'hungry' from 'no water' from 'fall off the roof' or 'FROM PLAYER' is your fault 100% >:(

is not zombie or baked beans or roofs or KoS bandit who is responsible :D

BANDIT NEED TARGET TO SHOOT ;)

play careful stealth way use brain don't make yourself easy target and you dying less :thumbsup:  :D

you never stop to die from KoS 100% but if you dying so much IS RUIN GAME FOR YOU maybe you need to change approach :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

me too I die sometime in dayz from player etc but when is happen I asking me 'hey, what mistake I making? how I learn and improve for next time?' :)

I never blame nobody else MY character life is MY responsibility >:(

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

And if everyone Killed on sight the game would be broken and would require no zombies/ survival aspects/ hunting etc. A quick spawn deathmatch is what you want . Banditing is fine, killing on sight is ruining the game.

I didn't say, or even imply, that everyone should KOS.

KOS is ruining the game.... for you. That sounds like a personal problem.

Until people understand that this alpha currently has NO incentive to group up EXCEPT to gain protection from other players, they will continue to pout about getting murdered.

All this white knighting, my sides are in orbit.

If someone said it to a male, you wouldn't batter an eyelid.

I guess you are one of those douche bags as well, congratulations. Here's your medal.

• Like 1

I guess you are one of those douche bags as well, congratulations. Here's your medal.

Stop trying, she won't have sex with you.

Is no logic for KoS because is no logic for Dayz ;)

closer thing to logic is simple - if guy dead he don't kill me :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

I enjoy pvP I looking for player sometime for kill because this give reward of feel good and loot

human is motivate by reward like pavlov dog

here is explain of mental process for me when I see player

he have gun?

do I have some need? 

is he threat for me?

if answer is yes for one or more I KILL with no remorse :thumbsup:  :P

I don't play Dayz for find friends I having plenty internet friend and real life friend I don't need more thankyou , also for friendship is need trust in dayz no time for this shit is only game so I don't worry about  :thumbsup:  ;)

on VERY RARE occasion I meet guy in game and we have instant connect, not possible for explain how is happen because every time is different unique situation but normal is we share joke and we both 'sense' no need for fight :)

but this is too much rare happen maybe 6 or 7 time for me in SA

so normal is I see you and my brain doing fast calculate like above and result is murder attack :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

i give a fuck bout my gear recently . only play to interact with others

Stop trying, she won't have sex with you.

Ah man, I had her address and everything. I even bought her flowers.

That feel.

Dude, there is the problem, she obviously likes chocolate.

I think people who shoot on sight are missing a pretty important part of the game. Banditry or a generally aggressive play style is one thing, of course, but I really think that human interactions are an important thing that makes DayZ into DayZ, and, by simply playing to colllect scalps, you are missing a lot of the game.

Still, if people think it's fun to do just that, then what can I do? Sandbox is sandbox. The only thing that should be done to stop KOS in my opinion, is adding more alternatives and difficulties to that play style. No restrictions.