Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Why Day Z is "Fundamentally Flawed"

If we talk about fundaments then its pretty much sucks.

I mean saying your game has shitty looking zombies like 10 guns a big map with only foot travel and a self destructive community,is not a good thing on paper.

But for some people they like it.

Dayz is flawed because right from the beginning it had zombies instead of focusing on just survival and player interaction it now has to waste resources and time on having zombies.

These gimmicky zombies add nothing at all to the game in any stage of the game, even in the mod they served only to annoy the player and alert bandits that there was a player in a town.

In stand alone all they do is hinder performance and restrict player count.

• Like 1

In order to create a game, you have to fix it and in order to fix it, is has to be flawed.

Ergo the game is not flawed.

QED

• Like 1

People are so used to marketing telling them "this game is perfect, it's got no flaw whatsoever, 9.5/10", when a designer comes out and says simply that the concept is flawed, you all think he's saying it's worthless.

It's not. The concept can be flawed, and still be a great game. In fact, because he said the concept is flawed, he is implying if he corrected those flaws it would be a different concept, a different game. And the community wouldn't have accepted him refusing to make DayZ to make, say, a mountain climbing simulation.

Dayz is flawed because right from the beginning it had zombies instead of focusing on just survival and player interaction it now has to waste resources and time on having zombies.

These gimmicky zombies add nothing at all to the game in any stage of the game, even in the mod they served only to annoy the player and alert bandits that there was a player in a town.

In stand alone all they do is hinder performance and restrict player count.

We are talking about the fundamental aspects of a game. Not "gimmicks".

Look, believe it or not, some people ENJOY PvE. Deal with it.

We are talking about the fundamental aspects of a game. Not "gimmicks".

Look, believe it or not, some people ENJOY PvE. Deal with it.

Why ?

You would love a game called "Tibia." It is a shadow of it's former glory, but I highly recommend playing it if you like for death in games to actually matter. No game in the world will make your heart pound harder, not even Day Z. Tibia is Deans vision come to fruition, in a medieval fantasy setting, with terrible graphics. 

I am hoping this will materialise and come through with the goods for a medieval fix.

May check out Tibia later..i'm a bit of a graphics whore though :D

The flaw is the playerbase. I don't think Mr. Hall envisioned douchebags and asshats running around playing this like it's Call of Duty.

• Like 3

Why ?

Because Dean came out and said that the environment was meant and still is supposed to be the main antagonist. Yes, it does add depth to the game to have KoS'ers. But I really wish that people would quit thinking this is CoD and not shoot me every time I approach them.

Edited by Guppy the DayZ Medic
  • Like 3

Because Dean came out and said that the environment was meant and still is supposed to be the main antagonist. Yes, it does add depth to the game to have KoS'ers. But I really wish that people would quit thinking this is CoD and not shoot me every time I approach them.

Maybe people don't want to be bothered with your idea of role play.

Honestly for PVE to ever take off in any shape or form Private Hives need to be released and within those private hives a community that likes pve needs to open up a server.

You will never find a normal server where people will willingly pve, no fun in that for 99 percent of the community.

So much conjecture.

Referring to Dean's vision at all is conjecture, because he's never come out and concretely stated what it is, at least as far as I know (please direct me to the place it is stated if it exists.) But we can get a pretty good idea what that vision is from what he's said and done.

Edited by Solopopo

A large scale MMO with realistic physics and collision detection simply won't happen with today's tech. Rocket needs to learn the limitation of today's gaming tech and set realistic goals. That's it.

A large scale MMO with realistic physics and collision detection simply won't happen with today's tech. Rocket needs to learn the limitation of today's gaming tech and set realistic goals. That's it.

Who says Dayz is a large scale mmo ?

It is no different than any other large scale fps. Only difference is dayz waste alot of resources on crappy janky zombies and has an ultra large map.

Plenty of thoer large scale fps have physics.

Honestly for PVE to ever take off in any shape or form Private Hives need to be released and within those private hives a community that likes pve needs to open up a server.

You will never find a normal server where people will willingly pve, no fun in that for 99 percent of the community.

Do you purposely misinterpret everything that anyone has ever said that the game goes beyond KoS or are you that extremely ignorant?

• Like 1

Do you purposely misinterpret everything that anyone has ever said that the game goes beyond KoS or are you that extremely ignorant?

I am not wrong. KOS will never ever be gone. It is the playstyle that people choose not out of necessity but because it is fun.

Who says Dayz is a large scale mmo ?

It is no different than any other large scale fps. Only difference is dayz waste alot of resources on crappy janky zombies and has an ultra large map.

Plenty of thoer large scale fps have physics.

DayZ was meant to be an MMO. Due to Bohemia's servers, that isn't going to happen.

DayZ is an open world sandbox survival simulator. It gives players free will. This means they can kill or survive.

Often times they kill.

That doesn't make DayZ an FPS or a military simulator. This isn't ArmA, BF or god forbid CoD.

Go play a different game.

I am not wrong. KOS will never ever be gone. It is the playstyle that people choose not out of necessity but because it is fun.

Who fucking said it was going to be gone?  Jesus christ dude, just stfu and think before you even start typing.  KoS is not the only part to this goddamn game ffs.  Stop fucking posting and looking stupid, please.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 2

Who fucking said it was going to be gone?  Jesus christ dude, just stfu and think before you even start typing.  KoS is not the only part to this goddamn game ffs.  Stop fucking posting and looking stupid, please.

For many of us it will be. Will some stop and roleplay or do other activities once they get included such as hunting of course.

I however will continue to just pick up a weapon and roam around looking for players to kill with little regard to my character.

For many of us it will be. Will some stop and roleplay or do other activities once they get included such as hunting of course.

I however will continue to just pick up a weapon and roam around looking for players to kill with little regard to my character.

Good for you.  Just stop nitpicking at other people who want to see something else besides Call of DayZ because I hate to break it to you, this is not a mil sim nor was ever going to be.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

I'm not so sure this is the case.

Today I jumped on the experimental servers (44/50 people - hardcore) for the first time in a while and spawned on the docks of Svetlojarsk (new spawn?). I realize that many of these servers are fully packed to the max and likely do not restart very often, the loot is often very difficult to come by but, I ran into twelve different people within my first hour of playing and in these twelve different encounters, only one person shot at me, missed and then apologized stating that I only scared him... all the rest were friendly people. There was even a group of 10 of us at one point north of Berezino trading food/ammo/supplies with each other and we were able to go our separate ways without a shot fired.

People can talk about the lack of zombies or end game, but I really think it comes down to the surplus of supplies around the map currently. You need to think about the psychology of players and understand that the more gear a player has, the more defensive over their life/character they will be within the game, which I believe causes much of the KoS we see in the game currently.

In the test servers, you find a new environment which forces players to work together in order to find ammo as well as keep themselves from starving to death which is what ended up happening an hour later to myself. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that there are so few servers and many people causing the lack of loot around the map, which cannot be prevented currently in stable branch with the surplus in servers, in which there is almost always an empty newly restarted server for you to jump on to gear your character up quickly. 

I can't quote Dean on this, but I'm sure I read somewhere that, outside of the respawning loot, he wanted a system that changed the loot table based upon how many people populated the server. For example, if there are 5/40 people in the server it would only spawn 12.5% of the total loot within the server...or at least that is how I interpreted it. I think this would go a long way in changing player interaction, especially being that shooting someone, outside of the head, causes much of their gear to be useless to the shooter.

Edited by spoiLs

It could be accomplished if the devs were willing to reduce the cutting edge graphics. If the game was designed to be the best looking it could possibly be, with the least resources possible, it would work. WoW looks fine despite the fact that it's graphics are actually really bad if you pay close attention. Today's technology is not a limiting factor. The limiting factor is how low devs would be willing to lower the graphics, and how low gamers would be willing to accept. In the particular case of Day Z, it's engine is a limiting factor. But if the game was run on DirectX 9 with graphics similar to Counter Strike Source it would work. With a few modern graphical innovations the game would look acceptable, and if it looked less than perfect in certain situations that could be forgiven due to the massive scale of the game.

For instance, If there were many more sounds to experience in the game, and those sounds came from exactly where they were supposed to, and one particular type of sound had a thousand different variations based on conditions; that is the type of thing that would be appreciated more than shinny reflections rendered in 2k resolution, and it would be the kind of thing that would be possible with the extra resources. There would be more resources available for realistic physics and collision detection as well. Pushing the resource barrier has been a big problem with Day Z. It shouldn't be. Content is much more important than the way that content is rendered.

Edited by Solopopo

You're fundamentally flawed. 

You didn't read the OP.

You didn't read the OP.

I hope he didn't  :o

Edited by Solopopo