Sign in to follow this  
Torothin

Ok: Having an SSD makes this game have 100x better performance

I decided to move this game to a SSD and man what an increase in performance.  I am talking about joining servers in under 20 seconds as opposed to 2-10 minutes.  And the FPS...  Crazy!

2-10 minutes? Did your last hd look something like this?

2bt9g5.jpg

Edited by Bennet

wtf is ssd gosh

Serious question ??? solid state drive...

I prefer to run Dayz of ram disk even faster than a SSD but yeah no fps gain just super smooth texture loading no pop ups no stutters..

Hmm? I'm pretty sure he was talking about Kboost in EVGA Precision X (or whatever the Gigabyte etc. versions are) that essentially tells your graphics card to run at 100% power the entire time. It shouldn't affect AA or LOD. :S

Oh, i thought he ment the performance mode in nVidia control panel.

I'll try again.  

I got way better LOAD times, but the FPS is still shitty.  Waiting for those Nvidia optimizations Dean mentioned the other week.... 

SSDs CAN help FPS in certain situations.

for example, in the MMO Star Wars The Old Republic, the rendering request was being held on the read/write request (or something similar, i dont remember the details). once you switched to an SSD, those read/writes got much faster, and would no longer hold up the render request, therefore increasing fps.

that is more of a symptom of poor programing id assume.

in a game like dayz, which uses alot of streaming so we can play on such a large map, it will reduce stutters from HHD access, which will make the game smoother, and perhaps feel higher fps.

I'll have to try this... :)

what does he mean by that. im on a nvidia EVGA gtx 670FTW. and what do you guys mean when talking about boost?

Edited by gomeowmeow

SSD helps, not a huge amount unless your normal HD is really shitty. 

Every little bit counts right? 

Oh and you guys with it on SSD and say it doesn't help or doesn't load any fast, are you using a sata II mobo instead of sata III? :p

what does he mean by that. im on a nvidia EVGA gtx 670FTW. and what do you guys mean when talking about boost?

In EVGA Precision X > Voltage > K-boost

agree OP ;) 

SSD making my game running STUPID FAST LIKE USAIN BOLT NEED TO GO TOILET AFTER 3 HOURS OF WAITING :o

Movement has been increased since moving to an SSD.  There are pretty much zero jolts as opposed to my HDD.

My Rig:

i7

8 GB RAM

7850?  RADEON Saphire

I am convinced that more has been improved than just load times.  Overall game play has as well.

Specs in my sig.  I was running an HiS 7850 and just using an old 1TB HDD and I never had any issues.  Sadly, just this past Friday, my 7850 played it's last game of DayZ but it went out in a blaze of glory.

SSD can only improved loading time!

Mabye your HDD is broken?

Edited by Jcswe

Confirmed.

My old rig:
AMD FX 4100 quad 3.6GHz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MOBO
AMD Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GPU
500GB HDD drive
4GB ram
Windows 7 64bit
Ran the game fairly well, with little or no performance issues as long as graphics setting were on low. Rare crashes, some of which were blue screens.

My NEW rig:
AMD FX 4100 quad 3.6GHz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MOBO
AMD R9 270x 2gb GPU
500GB HDD drive
12GB ram.
Windows 7 64 bit
At this point, the game performance and appearance improved quite a bit, with textures looking far better, even while still on low settings. Higher settings looked good too, but occasional stutter made my drop it back down to low (which still looked better than it did before). All settings maxed out looked gorgeous, but any movement caused a frame rate of approximately TWO.

But then, this afternoon, I swapped out my HDD for a Samsung 250GB SSD evo...

*ultrafastflashofmovementinthecornerofyoureye!

*kaBOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!! (sonic boom)

But seriously. No joke, I feel like my old pc was a shitty shelf model dell bought from bestbuy by comparison. Now, its like comparing a sedan with a fukin rocket sled. Speed, performance, EVERYTHING. Game ran on high settings without the slightest twitch. Running fraps caused a SLIGHT dip in frames, but at medium settings, with fraps, again, not a hitch.

Edited by Crazykage

From my experience, I have moved to SSD last week, and it does improve fps. I wouldn't say A LOT, but significant. Had fps drops to 8 in Electro for example, now stable 24, maybe some unexpected drops to 20 and that is. No other changes to the system were made. Remember the time in mod when you put it to the RAMDISK to increase fps? Same here, somehow arma2 engine uses disk drive for storing some real time data and while it is fetched no new frames are generated. So for SSD this fetch time is much faster and the frame is generated more quickly. IMHO.

Idk if someone has already said this I didnt read the entire thread but sometimes an SSD can give better performance if your computer has low RAM because if RAM is full it defaults to the hard-drive which is extremely slow whereas an SSD is much faster. Basically, in most games everything is loaded into RAM for fast access, sometimes there is not enough RAM for all of the data and so relevant data gets swapped between RAM and hard-drive, which is very slow, although an SSD would increase in-game loading.

Remember those old GTA games where you had to wait for a new area to load. That's when the new area data is put from hard drive into RAM (swapped with the current data). An SSD would significantly increase loading speed.