blissfulkunt

"Flawed Concept" - Discuss

Rocket called DayZSA a Flawed Concept.

What does this mean? Are we playing a game that is going nowhere?

How can we be assured this is gonna be the game we all backed by buying it early?

Will Bohemian take the money and not care anymore?

I have calmed down and dont think its the end that Dean is leaving... but what can we expect?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally have my concerns, I think they have made the bulk of their cash.

Edited by Blissful

He said exactly what he means, you guys are running around like headless chickens and reading too much in to it.

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

He's a perfectionist, despite the game being a financial success and loved by many thousands of people, he feels he can do better. Don't try to understand a perfectionist, unless you are one yourself they are absolutely impossible to figure out and seem borderline insane.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 17

Well, crucially its flawed because of what we see already.

People will rarely work together to achieve a goal. It is much simpler to attack and loot.

I think the original concept was about banding together and surviving the outbreak. As we see now, it's less about the zombies and it's predominantly the bandits you need to worry about.

I almost forget about the 'Z' aspect actually.

Less multiplayer, more deathmatch.

• Like 4

He said exactly what he means, you guys are running around like headless chickens and reading too much in to it.

He's a perfectionist, despite the game being a financial success and loved by many thousands of people, he feels he can do better. Don't try to understand a perfectionist, unless you are one yourself they are absolutely impossible to figure out and seem borderline insane.

I think you're just putting your own head in the ground ignoring what's happening around you. But hey, it's not there if you don't see it right?

I don't buy any of that perfectionist crap, and even if I did, you don't say that a game people invested in so it can be fully developed was a flawed concept to begin with.

• Like 2

Regardless of whether on not he is a "perfectionist", I find this somewhat unprofessional and worrying. Decisions like this will, and should, invite some flak.

Edit - I don't personally believe the "take the money and run angle" and find that opinion to be somewhat disrespectful.

This perfectionist stuff is nonsense, I wouldn't start something in my job, but leave it because "I'm a perfectionist"... Please, and it's about professionalism.

Edited by AJSawyer
  • Like 4

I think it's very cynical to say he's taking the money and running.

He will develop until it's at a certain level and then he will move on.

We're not talking about AAA studios with hundreds of staff here.

• Like 1

I think you're just putting your own head in the ground ignoring what's happening around you. But hey, it's not there if you don't see it right?

I don't buy any of that perfectionist crap, and even if I did, you don't say that a game people invested in so it can be fully developed was a flawed concept to begin with.

Frankly you insult my intelligence and my maturity by making such a crappy, personal response. I am not emotionally invested in DayZ, or any game for that matter.

I knew I was taking a risk when I paid £20 for an alpha but I knew what I was getting. I have sunk nearly 200 hours in to the game (10p per hour) and many more in to the mod, and while I would be sad if it suddenly broke down or disappeared I have certainly got my money's worth and would move on to the rest of the games I have been neglecting badly due to this project. However I don't think the game is going anywhere, he's leaving it in the hands of the ~30 people who have been working on it since at least Standalone released, he clearly trusts them to carry the torch. DayZ is just growing up and moving out of its mum's basement.

I meant exactly what I said in my post, otherwise I would not have said it.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 10

It IS unprofessional to say something like this, but well, rocket is not a good PR guy, sicne he is too honest and direct and sometimes his wording is a little bit...let's called it unclear.

Maybe this guy on reddit is right:

[–]OshiSeventwitch.tv/oshi7 9 Punkte

1 Stundezuvor

If you have and heard what Dean has said in the past, the type of game he always wanted DayZ to become never came to fruition because of the way people play. He wanted a game where people didn't just kill each other randomly, or fresh spawns didn't come fists punching because they might get lucky and knock a guy out and steal his loot. He wanted trading, rivalries, allies etc. I think he was going for a game that was a first-person experience of Project Zomboid with Eve Online level meta game.

I don't know if this is Deans actual thought process, from the few conversations we've had and, I assume it is. He has mentioned once or twice before he won't see DayZ to the end, but the team he has amassed and built are so good that I'm not worried about the future of DayZ. It might not be Rockets true vision, but it will be something amazing. I wouldn't worry about Standalone falling to the "1000 vehicle spawn" server mentality.

• Like 8

Frankly you insult my intelligence and my maturity by making such a crappy, personal response. I am not emotionally invested in DayZ, or any game for that matter.

I knew I was taking a risk when I paid £20 for an alpha but I knew what I was getting. I have sunk nearly 200 hours in to the game (10p per hour) and many more in to the mod, and while I would be sad if it suddenly broke down or disappeared I have certainly got my money's worth and would move on to the rest of the games I have been neglecting badly due to this project. However I don't think the game is going anywhere, he's leaving it in the hands of the ~30 people who have been working on it since at least Standalone released.

I meant exactly what I said in my post, otherwise I would not have said it.

Hah, but you have the luxury of calling everyone else a headless chicken? Hypocritical much?

I'm not emotionally invested to the point I'm going to prague and slap dean, but I'm not a complacent couch potato either. If I gave money for a product that's inherently flawed I have every right to complain about it.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 2

He always said he was a perfectionist and quite frankly comes across as one of those people that will never be happy with what they do.

It's not a bad thing, maybe even a good thing he is leaving at the end of the year.

• Like 1

Hah, but you have the luxury of calling everyone else a headless chicken? Hypocritical much?

People are running around like a headless chicken, the forums are practically in meltdown with the sheer amount of doom and gloom posts.

• Like 2

People are running around like a headless chicken, the forums are practically in meltdown with the sheer amount of doom and gloom posts.

That's because it's a normal reaction to what was said earlier and what is being said now. Why wasn't the game a "flawed concept" BEFORE 1.5 million sales were made? Odd, isn't it?

Was San Andreas Multiplayer mod perfect?

Was JC2 Multiplayer mod perfect

Was DayZ mod perfect?

But people accepted them more than the AAA title games.

I literally grew up playing SAMP because it is fun.And the reason of Gta's success was mainly because of the mod.

Yet Rockstar didn't realese Gta V on pces,and went for consoles.It's like saying to the people that made the game known

"screw you,i'm moving on".For me Rockstar lost some of my credability.I would hate to see the same/similar situation unfold with DayZ.

That's because it's a normal reaction to what was said earlier and what is being said now. Why wasn't the game a "flawed concept" BEFORE 1.5 million sales were made? Odd, isn't it?

I don't fall in to the trap of forming conspiracy theories. I believe what he says, or rather that he believes what he says, when stating that he thinks he's done all he can for DayZ and that he wants to form his own game studio back in New Zealand in the hopes of making the perfect multiplayer game. Sure, he has made a fortune off selling DayZ to Bohemia, anyone with financial sense would have done the same, but don't forget how long he worked on the mod and didn't make a penny.

• Like 1

rocketleaving.png

"the ultimate survival game" - Not DayZ.

It's a great game, except not exactly what he had in mind when developing it.

• Like 6

It IS unprofessional to say something like this, but well, rocket is not a good PR guy, sicne he is too honest and direct and sometimes his wording is a little bit...let's called it unclear.

Maybe this guy on reddit is right:

Good post!

Reddit is bang on.

This game can only go so far until it is released to the Modders. Yes its very early in its concept and implementation but one group vs many more will only take it so far. Most of whats been mentioned is yet to be in the game and I dare say it will change the current mentality we face in game. Having more to do will change gameplay and as far as I believe make zombies a moot issue. I came for the zombies and the slimest chance of some SP missions. I admit im only once and a while playing it. I am now understanding rockets message of waiting instead.

However it turns out, if its as good as the mod then we will have a winner.

• Like 1

If I gave money for a product that's inherently flawed I have every right to complain about it.

I think when the game is finished we will have every right to complain if there a huge glaring errors.

I think if that is the case the community will step in and make some noise.

I don't fall in to the trap of forming conspiracy theories. I believe what he says, or rather that he believes what he says, when stating that he thinks he's done all he can for DayZ and that he wants to form his own game studio back in New Zealand in the hopes of making the perfect multiplayer game. Sure, he has made a fortune off selling DayZ to Bohemia, anyone with financial sense would have done the same, but don't forget how long he worked on the mod and didn't make a penny.

Again putting words in my mouth.  Who said conspiracy? The "Odd, isn't it?"? How exactly did you conclude, with the superior intelligence I'm not supposed to mock, that comment was in any way related to conspiracy? Do tell.

In any way, I believe only facts, and the fact is had most of us known that he considers Dayz a flawed concept and he would leave before 2015 they wouldn't have had 15mil sales by now.

"flawed concept"

means: "I made a zombie mod when it was gaining ground and now that's it's overwhelmingly in-vogue I wish I'd just made a survival sim instead, i'm sick of zombies now"

That's the subtext, but porting the mod to the a3 rv engine isn't being passionate about something

• Like 2

For me DayZ is "flawed concept" because it is not a MMO. I mean that I want not just 100 people on a single shard. I want like 1000-3000+ playing together in single world, MMO scale not some online shooter one. And that's pretty much it. 100 +- for single shard is a scale too small for grand endgame concepts. I strongly believe that idea of "no need to lvlup or grind for skills" aka natural interaction coupled with harsh survival setting (not necessarily with zombies) is a way to go for a good nextgen MMO.

That doesn't mean that DayZ in it's current form should be abandoned. Even perfectionist should understand the importance of finishing his projects.

Edited by M1NeR

For me DayZ is "flawed concept" because it is not a MMO. I mean that I want not just 100 people on a single shard. I want like 1000-3000+ playing together in single world, MMO scale not some online shooter one. And that's pretty much it. 100 +- for single shard is a scale too small for grand endgame concepts. I strongly believe that idea of "no need to lvlup or grind for skills" aka natural interaction in harsh survival setting (not necessarily with zombies) is a way to go for a good hardcore nextgen MMO.

Very, very tough sell that though mate.

THE LEAD DEV JUST JUMPED SHIP LMAO

YEAH YOU'LL GET YOUR 1000 PLAYERS NOW

Edited by pacific_coast
  • Like 1

Very, very tough sell that though mate.

Yep. But DayZ sells. Rocket made it possible where all others failed miserably.

Edited by M1NeR