Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

this move makes him out be such a whiny little bitch

I stopped reading your post there, it was long and I knew it would be rubbish from this comment alone, but I am curious as to what makes someone a "whiny little bitch" for wanting to leave a job when you will not be needed any more. Not to mention not wanting to essentially become a citizen of a country on the opposite side of the planet.

The guy has a life outside DayZ. He doesn't belong to you and he doesn't owe you anything but a finished game, which he promises the team will deliver. This thread has been a real eye-opener because it shows you not only how much people fail at reading comprehension but also how much adults can and will stomp their feet and have tantrums like spoiled little children, assuming you are not actually a child triggy89. No offence to children was intended by this post.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

The greatest, most powerful force on the internet is the sense of entitlement of privileged, straight white men. Proven once again.

• Like 1

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

Rocket…well done for simultaneously pissing off a million odd people.

Quite frankly his handling of this project has been abysmal and this move makes him out be such a whiny little bitch. This is coming from a man who claimed that he was such a perfectionist and that he took responsibility for everything that happened on the project and wanted total creative control….to oh Its diminishing returns and its Bohemia’s game not mine….

Quite frankly I think the game will progress more quickly without him and be better off without him. So no I am not angry with him actually leaving as I believe it’s a good thing for the project, but I am angry with the piss poor job he has done so far and I certainly won’t be pre ordering any games that come out of the stupio he plans to set up. Lets be honest if he cant handle this project what makes him think he can run a whole studio???

Personally this is turning out to be a war z situation very quickly. From lead on the project to, its not my game, disapearig and dusting his hands of it. People say oh hes got another 10 months…. You really think he is going to do jack all in those 10 months when he has already said he is leaving? Lets be honest who here actually gives 100% to a project you have already washed your hands of and you have the prospect of your own company on the horizon?

So in short, happy dean is off the project because he wasn’t ready to lead one of that size and this shows how ill prepared he was. So onto a brighter future for dayz imo!

Spot on sir!

29$ for a game that has given me 300 hours of pure enjoyment, I see no reason to complain. The game will still only get better before it is(if it is) abandoned. I'v paid triple that for games that have given only a couple hours game play. I don't see a problem here at all...

• Like 2

The problem lies in our irritation at the ignorance of most gamers whom worship rocket. Anyone with experience knows Rocket is definitely no leader, barely a game developer and mainly deals with concepts. The funny thing about concepts is that anyone with an active imagination can excel in it. My friends and I could get stoned and sit around our basements and come up with ideas just as good if not better than rocket could. The point is, it's no amazing gift.

The ignorant worship Rocket as some kind of second coming, and it feeds his already overbloated ego. He is not some kind of Indie gaming God. DayZ is not some revolutionary title. It is not an original idea. Rockets recent remarks shows his true flaws in character.

He is not someone to look up to. I'd be lying if I said I wish him well with his new studio.

• Like 1

If its what he wants great, I really like the guy and I know there is both truth and untruth to alot of whats buzzin the net.  I agree with his decisions because I know that everyone has things in life they need to do for themselves for good health for good judgement or just the need for change.  His work created both an empire for open world survival horror but also a major trend in the type of gaming I grew to love from playing the mod.  Alot of the net types who played ten minutes of Dayz are monday morning quarter backing the situation.  If it was about money, why state in interviews that you have created an anti game?  Why publicly post do not buy this game? Maybe good technique?  I think its more based on the influence of media, people would be massively interested no matter what.  People no matter how great or shitty were going to jump in head first.  Some got exactly what they were looking for, others anger and a ban on the forums for being an idiot.  All this said a fantastic game came from all this, given slightly broken, begging for improvement but thats where dean has admitted his faults.  He has represented himself as an honest person in his matters. Twitters everything a fan could want if they pay attention, but when he decides its not for him in the long run anymore we all hate him?  I think most people are leaning this way for a few reasons, old fans feel betrayed for following the man for so long, new fans have no clue they just think rah rah.  What do I think?  He created something beautiful that will live on in his legacy let him enjoy life and create more things we all love broken or not, the most important is let the man be himself Dayz or not.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 7

I don't, because he already took our money

Exactly, sort of.

Now this may be my second post ever on THIS forum, but don't think for a second I am naïve to the business or gaming world.  I think this game is fantastic and my personal knowledge of programming stops at running a game server, modding files, etc but that is not to say I do not understand what it is going to take to make this work.

Personally, I am new to DayZ but have heard constant chatter about the platform blah blah blah, using the CPU not the GPU and or to many fixes.  Hardware issues can be fixed.  Bottom line is this game needs to be bought by a major gaming company or someone who run it like such.  by that I mean, make some decisions: are we going to do this, do that.  This platform, that platform. etc. etc. 

I think the sad and shitty thing would be for the 4 million $ made off this game to go to nothing instead of working it over and making it work.

A leader will (needs to) step up and make this work.  There is money to be made.  And that keeps the business world moving.

On another note, please don't tell me that all the money made on this game is gong towards more Everest climbs, other games, hookers, blow, houses, cars, lost somewhere etc. ?, and bullshit. We all paid for a game, expecting something in return.  It shall be seen.

Exactly, sort of.

Now this may be my second post ever on THIS forum, but don't think for a second I am naïve to the business or gaming world.  I think this game is fantastic and my personal knowledge of programming stops at running a game server, modding files, etc but that is not to say I do not understand what it is going to take to make this work.

Personally, I am new to DayZ but have heard constant chatter about the platform blah blah blah, using the CPU not the GPU and or to many fixes.  Hardware issues can be fixed.  Bottom line is this game needs to be bought by a major gaming company or someone who run it like such.  by that I mean, make some decisions: are we going to do this, do that.  This platform, that platform. etc. etc. 

I think the sad and shitty thing would be for the 4 million $ made off this game to go to nothing instead of working it over and making it work.

A leader will (needs to) step up and make this work.  There is money to be made.  And that keeps the business world moving.

On another note, please don't tell me that all the money made on this game is gong towards more Everest climbs, other games, hookers, blow, houses, cars, lost somewhere etc. ?, and bullshit. We all paid for a game, expecting something in return.  It shall be seen.

You would have seen how Operation Flashpoint turned into Arma.

• Like 1

Meh I don't understand all the outrage on here and the Steam forums (what's new right?) and Reddit. He leaves when the game goes into beta, big fucking deal.

After the Alpha stage is finished all the game elements should be (largly) in place, so there will be only bug fixing. Dean isn't a bug fixer, I bet BI will have some very competent programmers for that. At that stage it doesn't matter who is in charge of the team, as long as he is competent leading the programmers and gets stuff done.

I honestly feel sorry for Dean, I bet he feels pretty shit right now explaining what he ment to all the ragey people out there on Reddit and elsewhere. Was it smart of him being honest? No not realy, but he is a honest chap.

Secondly I don't understand all the Dean worship. He made a mod, which grew very populair and BI gave him the chance to make it into a standalone, great. He isn't some sort of god, and him leaving after alpha doesn't mean the project will turn into a giant turd. He isn't that star quarterback or Leonel Messi that when he leaves the team the team will turn into shit.

I don't know the guy, but I like him. He had a good vision which spawned a new game genre and that's something the gaming industry lacked for many years now. I tip my hat for that, but I am not panicking now that it was announced he will return to his home country after his usefulness is done.

TLDR: I feel sorry for Dean. Stop being so fucking cynical.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey
  • Like 1

I stopped reading your post there, it was long and I knew it would be rubbish from this comment alone, but I am curious as to what makes someone a "whiny little bitch" for wanting to leave a job when you will not be needed any more. Not to mention not wanting to essentially become a citizen of a country on the opposite side of the planet.

The guy has a life outside DayZ. He doesn't belong to you and he doesn't owe you anything but a finished game, which he promises the team will deliver. This thread has been a real eye-opener because it shows you not only how much people fail at reading comprehension but also how much adults can and will stomp their feet and have tantrums like spoiled little children, assuming you are not actually a child triggy89. No offence to children was intended by this post.

Wow, you say its rubbish yet you fail to actually read it, if I take the time to answer someone’s post even if I disagree with it I will read it all, hence why I just read all your uninformed drivel. You claim I am a child yet don’t have the patience to read comments you quote and want a retort from me….

If you actually read my post you would see I said I am happy he is leaving, I don’t begrudge him for that, but I think it shows a distinct lack of commitment. I find it laughable the way in which he has handled the project up until now and I find it entertaining he is dusting his hands of it. After he wanted total creative control because it was his baby/brainchild yet doesn’t mind claiming its BI’s game now.

He was never ready to take on such a large task, let alone now create his own studio. People feel the need to either cry he is leaving, hate him for it, claim it’s the apocalypse and dayz is doomed, or cry that anyone has a bad word to say about him.  He has a tendency to put his foot in it repeatedly by saying stupid shit, and a propensity to make that stupid shit sound very whiny. Get where I am coming from?

Also I find it funny you say “because it shows you not only how much people fail at reading comprehension” yet can’t actually read the posts you are quoting….

Wow, you say its rubbish yet you fail to actually read it, if I take the time to answer someone’s post even if I disagree with it I will read it all, hence why I just read all your uninformed drivel. You claim I am a child yet don’t have the patience to read comments you quote and want a retort from me….

If you actually read my post you would see I said I am happy he is leaving, I don’t begrudge him for that, but I think it shows a distinct lack of commitment. I find it laughable the way in which he has handled the project up until now and I find it entertaining he is dusting his hands of it. After he wanted total creative control because it was his baby/brainchild yet doesn’t mind claiming its BI’s game now.

He was never ready to take on such a large task, let alone now create his own studio. People feel the need to either cry he is leaving, hate him for it, claim it’s the apocalypse and dayz is doomed, or cry that anyone has a bad word to say about him.  He has a tendency to put his foot in it repeatedly by saying stupid shit, and a propensity to make that stupid shit sound very whiny. Get where I am coming from?

Also I find it funny you say “because it shows you not only how much people fail at reading comprehension” yet can’t actually read the posts you are quoting….

This time I actually did read your post, totally disappointing just as I expected. You neither seem to understand why he's leaving nor understand that he doesn't belong to you, to BI, or even to DayZ. If you can actually claim he shows "a distinct lack of commitment" I don't think you've read a damn word he has said since this announcement.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

damn, i`ve just red the news yesterday und was excpecting a huge sh*tstorm, but THIS...wow!
I really have to say that i like Dean Hall for what he have done with the mod and that he pushed this standalone.
But also i think he is not that big leader oder boss who can handle this game or lead it into the right direction at a point where it gets to the finalversion and when you have to set priorities.
Even he says that he is a boost things and let people believe in things to start with, but he isn`s the character to manage this huge expectation into the programming of dayz standalone.

When he said that he wants to go back to new zealand and try to make his own studio and this stuff...i absolutely believe him and respect this risky step.
This interview with eurogamer is the maybe not the best way to warn the community, but it is alot better than be like Persson from minecraft who ends suddenly and unexpected.
I hope that Dean could insert alot of his ideas into the standalone the last 10 month and wish him the best for his next dreams.

10 month is enough time to implement many good features and bring that game on the line to a game he. we dreamed for.
And still after he leaves, i trust many of the crew to make this game worth to play and be better and better.

So for the cash i paid, i got already enough fun to play and got ~130hours of playtime.
I haven`t played SA for about 1-2 weeks now, because i`ve wait for the new stable-patch which brings new stuff, maybe new experiences.

So no panic pls to all the players here...DayZ SA is already a good game and will be much more better in the next 10month (with Dean) and i bet also after he leaves. :-)

Greetz

Edited by Nebuuuu

This time I actually did read your post, totally disappointing just as I expected. You neither seem to understand why he's leaving nor understand that he doesn't belong to you, to BI, or even to DayZ. If you can actually claim he shows "a distinct lack of commitment" I don't think you've read a damn word he has said since this announcement.

What he says means jack all, his leaving is indication of his commitment, but either way as i said I am happy he is trotting off. His lack of commitment is in my opinion better for the game in the long run. 

Could this crazy thread get locked already :D

Please ffs. The discussion goes in circles since page 1:

1) People that haven't read more than the title or the "interview" on eurogamer shout out their opinion and "facts" that are, in fact, wrong because they haven't read more or even thought about it and just wanted to rant

2) trolls try to start a flamewar

3) Someone tries to reason

4) Someone start insulting

5) someone comes in here and starts the circle of BS over again.

(mandatory steps: 1 and 5)

------------------------------------aside, for triggy89, wolffe and others with the same thoughts------------------------------------

I'll do it one more time - really the last time - and try to be the voice of reason in this goddamn swamphole-thread:

1) Dean Hall has not stepped back as project leader by now

2) He will not step back as project leader until DayZ goes into beta

3) He estimates this to happen in late 2014. There is no set date on this. maybe he will work until december 20th 2014, maybe 5th march 2015.

4) He wants to step back for 2 major reasons:

a) he thinks he is the wrong kind of personality to lead a project that is in beta and only gets polished and somebody with a different mindset would be better for the development of the game from the point where it goes into beta

b ) it is impossible (for him) to lead a 50++ team from the other side of the world and he just wants back home - but continue to work as an advisor from there

5) He said in an interview in June 2013 that he wants to step back as project leader in (estimated at that time) 12 months (...which would have been be June 2014). So you could accuse him of again not holding on to a set date. And I haven't heard that he worked less hard since the time he first mentioned that he wants to step back back than...

6) Please, if you get hooked on the "flaws" thing in the interview, remember: He did NOT mean it that way as he explained over and over again. Search for the "fundamental flaws" discussion here, look out for my post (on the first page there) and read it. Please.

7) Judging someone you don't know or judging his job performance without having an inside view is just not nice and bad manners

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 3

What he says means jack all, his leaving is indication of his commitment, but either way as i said I am happy he is trotting off. His lack of commitment is in my opinion better for the game in the long run. 

You keep saying "lack of commitment", clearly showing that you haven't read a word of his responses just as I said.

• He wants to leave for numerous, very understandable reasons
  • He is only leaving when he's not required any more, when the team can do everything he can do
  • He has worked hard to embed his philosophy toward the game in to his team
  • He plans to stay until the end of the year, alpha is scheduled to be concluded then
  • He wants the game to succeed, it's even in his interest as he earns royalties from every sale

Kick and scream all you want, there is nothing objectionable about any of this.

• Like 2

I couldn’t care less about what he says, his leaving is indication of his commitment or lack of it. Also the fact he is announcing it now is just testament to what I said he has a tendency to do, saying the wrong shit at the wrong time and putting his foot in it. But as I said I am HAPPY he is leaving, that is one point you can’t seem to get your thick skull around. I am HAPPY he is leaving purely due to the fact I think him being project lead has had a negative impact on the game. On the one hand its hilarious he is announcing this now and dusting his hands of his project and claiming it isn’t his anymore, after wanting total creative control over it, and on the other its brilliant as I think it will progress a lot faster. His reasons for wanting to go home are fine and are his own, but that doesn’t nullify the fact he is cutting and running and announcing it at an altogether ridiculous time, for most people, not myself it’s a pretty damaging step to take and has put a lot of doubt in peoples minds.

Personally I do not believe much of what comes out of rockets mouth these days to be honest. Not that he is lying intentionally but that he genuinely doesn’t have a clue how to convey what he is thinking half the time. I said about a year ago they should have hired a PR person to do his external coms, due to them being a shambles, and this whole debacle is testament to that. 

his leaving is indication of his commitment or lack of it

he is announcing this now and dusting his hands of his project and claiming it isn’t his anymore

he is cutting and running and announcing it at an altogether ridiculous time

You talk so much shit it's unreal.

Edit: I refer you back to my last post, before you even bother replying again just go and look at my previous post because I don't feel like repeating myself any more.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

7) Judging someone you don't know or judging his job performance without having an inside view is just not nice and bad manners

sorry didn't have time to read all, but will in a bit and reply when i have a moment, but the above can clearly be seen by the progress of the game up until now. We don't need insider knowledge to know the progress has been pretty piss poor.

You talk so much shit it's unreal.

announcing you are leaving while a game is still in pretty early alpha, is pretty much an indication of your commitment. Saying you will stay till beta is pretty much lip service to make sure everyone doesnt hate you.

He has said in an interview that is is BI's game now, look it up.

He is cutting and running, ie he isnt seeing it through till full release and he is announcing it 10 months before he is actually going to leave, and indicated he has been thinking about it for quite a while now. 

So please explain how the above is shit? If you think its shit please explain how the above reasons for thinking what you highlighted is utter shit?

He has said in an interview that is is BI's game now, look it up.

I know I said I wouldn't bother replying again but this point wasn't addressed in my post, yet again though you're not making a point of any worth whatsoever. DayZ has belonged to BI long before standalone was released, years ago when the mod was still more or less in development. Rocket sold them the intellectual property because he wanted their resources behind it and he now earns royalties on sold copies, which is why it's precisely in his own self-interest that it get finished and continue to sell.

Seriously, every point you have made reads like you either haven't been following the progress of the game for the last 18 months or two years or it reads like you haven't bothered reading anything Rocket himself has said since this announcement. You're just a typical poster with 'internet outrage'. Anyway, I do have to go out in just over an hour so this really will be my last response to you. Before you even bother replying to stomp your feet in outrage again, go back and read post #894 until it finally sinks in.