Sign in to follow this  
Sunslayer

Give civilian clothes some bonus?

TTSKO is useless in the city, not to mention ghillie suits (when they introduce them). Ghillie suits will have amazing concealment in woodland areas but I'm pretty sure they won't have much compartments in them like a TTSKO + tacvest combo does.

Civilan clothes will, eventually, offer protection from cold and wetness.

Nope, that's utterly incorrect*. Waterproofed military clothing uses the same waterproofing barriers as waterproof civilian coats do - it's often either a treatment with a solution soaked into the material (often closer to water resistant) or a membrane lining the material (such as the world famous Gore-Tex, although brands of outdoor clothing often have their own versions - Berghaus AquaFoil, Lowe Alp[ine Triplepoint Ceramic, North Face Hyvent to name three). What the membrane will do is act as a barrier preventing cold moisture and wind from penetrating through to the wearer whilst allowing warm moisture (sweat) to transfer out from within the garment - so long as the outer layer is 'beading' - this is where a solution is used to prevent immediate penetration of the outer material by rain and moisture so that there isn't a layer of cold wet material preventing the warm moisture from escaping.

Outdoor clothing, as in that intended to be used for activities such as walking, trekking, climbing, mountaineering and so on tends to be incredibly tough and hardwearing - I work currently as a builders labourer and as such my clothing takes quite a large amount of wear. The pair of trousers I use consistently are a 12-year old pair of Berghaus 'Activity Trousers' that frankly I've used constantly over the years, ever since I purchased them at my first job which was with an outdoor clothing retailer in 2002. None of the military surplus trousers I've owned have lasted a quarter of that time even when not used for work.

Military =/= Better

*EDIT: I should have put this as 'Actually they can be'. I went off on one and went back and rewrote bits and... didn't touch the first line, so my apologies for that.

Our two statements are not imcompatable; I'm saying most civilian clothing isn't better, and your saying they can be as good.

But allow me to restructure my point. While there is a lot of really good specialty clothing out there, the vast majority of clothing is cheaply made and designed for very casual use. Even nicer items, like the down jacket currently available in game looks to be, isn't designed for the wear we could expect to inflict upon it while engaging in combat and running around a ruined city or in the middle of the woods. That jacket would quickly be filled with holes and rips.

We're also playing in what appears to be a rather poor but highly militarized region. Do these citizens have access to quality survival clothing?

That's my main argument against arbitrarily giving civilian clothing bonuses to make them compatible with military gear.

Can we please get womens clothing so I can shoot people playing as men but dressed as women. I would love that.

/comment

• Like 3

Actually the current camo gear is better for staying still and camo at the same time as it breaks up the outline. Army "Greens" (single colour uniform) are better at being camo on the move. What's easier to spot, a green moving object in a green environment or a spotted green and brown object moving through a green environment.

Bear Grylls is mentioned on page one of the ADF (Australian Defence Force AKA Aussie army/navy/air force) survival manual.

"When you find yourself in a survival situation stay in the same place as long as possible, running from place to place like Bear Grylls will only get you lost and make you harder to find" (paraphrasing a bit but it's pretty similar)

If he's doing all the wrong things for survival according to the highly trained survival experts in Australia (where everything is trying to kill you) then what else is he doing wrong. I've read reviews where his knives break a fair bit, so how different in quality are his clothes?

I would take anything I read in an Australian military manual with a grain of salt... Especially if they have Dane Cook writing the jokes.

But all that aside, my Bear comments were tongue in cheek. I just meant to say that civilian clothes are equal or better than military clothes. All things being equal. Ergo, the buffs should be roughly equal for TTKoS gear and "Hunter" pants.

Ps - I wouldn't buy a BG knife. I'm sure he doesn't use them IRL. But I really enjoy that cocky British bastard's television shows.

Edit: oh, Philly... I would think military gear would be fairly common in Russia. But not 100% sure on the game lore. If it was ground zero then perhaps there were expeditionary forces from the US or Australia and NZ (hence their silly little hats and all the M4s).

Edited by Crooked Hauser
  • Like 1

I use the TTSKO stuff because I like pockets.

Give me a civie shirt that has 6 slots and isn't some fluorescent color and I'll gladly trade in my TTSKO jacket for civie stuff. 

• Like 1

Old New Zealand song by Fred Dag ( a dag is the dried sheeps poop hanging off the butt area )

"if it wern't for your gumboots where would you be... you would be in hospital or in the infirmary... you would have a case of the flu or even plur-a-cy.. " : :lol:

Yeah i think when you can get wet and sick, everyones gonna be in gumboots and raincoats..

Can we please get womens clothing so I can shoot people playing as men but dressed as women. I would love that.

/comment

this would be funny as fuck lol.

Add a couple of item slots to a flowery dress or something and scatter them in villages around the coast, newspawns would have to wear them until they find some better clothing haha

(yes I did just top an old thread by searching for "womens clothing", Mustyness at work) 

Why should civilian clothes get a bonus?  What is the real life bonus?

First of all civilian clothes should be much easier to find than military ones. Then there are also advanatges outside the military specifications: While military clothing should be camouflaged, though, provide good protection and storage space, civilian one might be much lighter, better suited in hot conditions (hot is not the mildly warm weather we got in 0.50 stable!), easier to repair or replace and also provide some special benefits outside of combat - benefits you cannot provide if specialized in combat use.

So just give civilian clothes the advantages they would also have in real life:

• protective clothes might be bulky and restrict movement/stealth but offer the best protection against respective hazards
  • short/tight clothes might offer low storage capacity and protection but are also very lightweight and prevent overheating
  • swimwear/suits would offer much better performance for swimming/diving
  • clothing can be used to look classy and send a message to onlookers
  • some specialized clothes might have awesome features but generally lack toughness
  • being civilian they would be very common all around inhabited areas, especially in cities

We should not have advanatges that make us think: "Why doesn't the military use this instead?" But rather advantages like: "I can see the benefits here but it would be impractical for soldiers."

True. On the other hand, consider that the same look(s) may become boring. I used to focus on TTSKO all the time. Then Gorka stuff came out. It was nice to have something new. Then to combine it with existing clothing. Now I turned my attention towards black clothing.

And eventually I will aim for some civilian uniforms (police, firefighter?) once they become somewhat easier to obtain. And so on. The mix makes it interesting. Also, the look itself can be a (dis)advantage. People may react to a or consider a "paramedic" or "cop" different than someone in full military gear.

Hey guys,

While I am relatively new to the game, I have noticed most players I encountered or seen are wearing military camouflage or tactical shirts. I understand where this is coming from as it gives them an advantage in concealment against other players. However, that makes civilian clothing mere stepping stones until you can make yourself look like a commando. As of now, everyone simply dumps their jeans, shoes and jacket as soon as they find TTsKO stuff. I'm wondering whether it is possible to give bonuses to civilian clothing in the future expanded PVE contents, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

Have you ever worn good military clothing?  I don't wear TTSKO stuff, I don't really like it.  There should be no bonuses for clothing that in itself is worthless.  A t-shirt should suck compared to Gorka jackets.  Jeans should resist tearing, but otherwise suck compared to cargo pants, especially military cargo pants.  The track suit jacket could be nothing more than a place-holder for some REALLY cool civilian clothing, but let's face it, that's in America, not  'Chernarus'.  Maybe Carhartt style jackets with bland colors work really well at not absorbing water, and keeping you warm, but that's about it.

There should be no bonuses for clothing that in itself is worthless.

True. Good thing there is no clothing that in itself is worthless.

A T-Shirt might offer less protection, less camouflage and less storage space than a Gorka Jacket but its lighter and you won't overheat nearly as fast in warm weather (look at all those people crying about the heat inside their Gorkas at moderatly warm temperatures - I want to see how they cope with real summer). And it would be much much easier to find.

Jeans might be either lighter or more resistant than Cargo Pants while otherwise protecion could go either way. And og course jeans

should be easier to find as well - even though it is not America.

And why should the tracksuit jacket be a placeholder? Because its low tier? Might be useful once high tier items got much rarer. Also keep in mind that military gear is not "the best of the best for all purposes" but rather "the most practical for both combat and logistics". There might be some areas where this kind of gear is surpassed by some civilian items specifically made for the purpose.

Edited by Evil Minion

And why should the tracksuit jacket be a placeholder? Because its low tier? Might be useful once high tier items got much rarer. Also keep in mind that military gear is not "the best of the best for all purposes" but rather "the most practical for both combat and logistics". There might be some areas where this kind of gear is surpassed by some civilian items specifically made for the purpose.

Pretty much this; for the most part, military gear will perform much better in combat/hostile encounters than typical civilian attire will, that's why it's developed as it is. However, as you stated; civilian clothing can have its own applications, being lightweight and trapping less heat. And, of course, there are always specialized items which can work extremely well for some areas.

All of this, of course, should be well represented. But generally I think we're taking the "no military gear" stigma too far when you try to apply unrealistic bonuses to things that shouldn't have them.

Hey guys,

While I am relatively new to the game, I have noticed most players I encountered or seen are wearing military camouflage or tactical shirts. I understand where this is coming from as it gives them an advantage in concealment against other players. However, that makes civilian clothing mere stepping stones until you can make yourself look like a commando. As of now, everyone simply dumps their jeans, shoes and jacket as soon as they find TTsKO stuff. I'm wondering whether it is possible to give bonuses to civilian clothing in the future expanded PVE contents, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

I understand your sentiment, but its like suggesting that we should give butter knife magical powers because its just a stepping stone to a combat knife... Generally military clothing are designed for function, not pretty looks and should be the top "tier". The only thing I can thing off to balance it is weight, but we don't have that.

You can also balance spawn chance, but in the end people who are min/maxing will always end up with the best gear. The good news is that you can still role play as you want, people with military gear die just like anyone else (the margins aint that high )

Edited by Mor