alleycat

I would like to suggest more focus on features players actually notice

When are we getting some new things in patches? The last experimental patch so far has mostly superficial stuff that you would not notice if you have not read the change log except for the wetness. I mean hard new things, like tents, instead of things that only expand on systems that borderline never happen for most players. Why is there so much work on expanded medical features done? 99% of injuries are death from getting shot instantly, there is not much room for health complications because you are dead before that happens.

So I would like to suggest more focus on features that offer more gameplay and items instead of under the hood things that you dont notice if you dont read changelogs.

And throw in a few more items to collect each week. Waiting 3 weeks for the next patch that will only add a second fire mode on a defibrillator or something is not exciting.

• Like 6

Maybe we will get boonie hats and Ruger soon.

Im kind of excited about the boonies because there are 3 camo colors to choose from with them.

I think a common misconception is that because these "little" things are rolled out, that means other things aren't being worked on. It's not like significant resources are being diverted away from the big changes you want to see for the sake of implementing heart attacks. These superficial things are just details they can add in the meantime and will come to matter a lot for immersion later on.

• Like 12

Well the whole "wait for the good stuff later, in the meantine take these canvas pants" is frustrating a bit. Also canvas pants are a crime against humanity and fasion sense, so there is that

• Like 3

Also the new UN colored ballistic helms and black helm im excited for too.

At a risk of sounding like yet another self-entitled, me-me-me, geef-geef-geef cry-baby in a self-obsessed, instant-gratification culture...I'm inclined to agree. On one hand, I appreciate that game development takes time.Time must be spent on 'behind-the-scenes' updates that nobody will appreciate. On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the game and I can only imagine how much more awesome it will be with vehicles, base building and persistent storage (among other things). So, GIVE GIVE GIVEEEE!

I think a common misconception is that because these "little" things are rolled out, that means other things aren't being worked on. It's not like significant resources are being diverted away from the big changes you want to see for the sake of implementing heart attacks. These superficial things are just details they can add in the meantime and will come to matter a lot for immersion later on.

this

At this point in the alpha the under the hood stuff is way more important than tents or cars or any other bigger gameplay addition. There needs to be a solid base to work from. I think many people that want all these features NOW! NOW! NOW! really should have waited till at least the beta before playing. It could take 6 months or much longer before you see these major additions.

• Like 2

When are we getting some new things in patches? The last experimental patch so far has mostly superficial stuff that you would not notice if you have not read the change log except for the wetness. I mean hard new things, like tents, instead of things that only expand on systems that borderline never happen for most players. Why is there so much work on expanded medical features done? 99% of injuries are death from getting shot instantly, there is not much room for health complications because you are dead before that happens.

So I would like to suggest more focus on features that offer more gameplay and items instead of under the hood things that you dont notice if you dont read changelogs.

And throw in a few more items to collect each week. Waiting 3 weeks for the next patch that will only add a second fire mode on a defibrillator or something is not exciting.

Rocket gave a lot of development info updates yesterday during the Eurogamer interview/stream.  Detailed summary here:  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175718-detailed-information-summary-from-rockets-eurogamer-live-stream/

Edited by iBane
  • Like 1

Different teams working on different parts of the game.

Every part of the game is being looked at. It's still in development.

No one should halt progress on what their working on so that you can have a shiny new hat in the short term.

It's kind of ridiculous to ask this. Would you ask someone who's expertise is animating to drop what they are doing and start working on navmeshes or pathing AI for the zombies when he/she might not have any training in the programing skills that would be required? No you wouldn't. Because that would be completely absurd.

No one should halt progress on what they are working on just because another team is ahead or behind them. Projects will be pushed out as they are ready. We will test them when they are ready.  Halting testing to wait for something else to catch up, short of it being a critical component, is foolish at worst, ignorant at best.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Actually GEEEEF is the right attitude to have. Some player here have this masochistic/asketic concept that we are not supposed to have fun in (a paid) alpha (that moved more than a million copies).

For me, gameplay is like this:

1. I do not play with a clan.

2. When I spawn I avoid others until I find a gun

3. When I found a gun I start chasing other players.

So in my playstyle i have no use for an expanded medical system, extra torture tools or payday masks. I want more loot, more different places to loot and more guns. And loot specific features, like tents. I might be leaning far out but I assume that it is like that for most players, because most encounters with others end it combat if you are not in a group already.

Therefore any patch that lists stuff that does not add more features to my style of playing is boring for me. It is frustrating to wait for a new patch and then have to squeeze some fun out of the new features because you need to carefully go through it to find something that

-adds something new for me as a player

-you actually notice when playing

rocket talking about this and that deep under the surface that will make something awesome far later in time is just filler material for me. It is nice for people who enjoy reading about the development process but I would like more hard tangible gameplay stuff because I dont care much about the stuff I cant experience as a player

• Like 1

I don't think you understand how development works.

It works like this:

Keep early access customers entertained. Thats it.

Please, don't be simple. It's tiring.

No. Development works like this:

Different teams qualified to work on different projects are doing so. The people who are rendering and texturing those fun new toys, clothes, and guns we play with are still doing so, while other teams are working on projects that they are qualified to do. The weapons we've been getting one after another were likely works in progress before they launched, hence why we got them so rapidly. Expect things to slow down.

There are no resources to divert to this or that, like you seem to think.

And really, no, keeping your testers entertained isn't neccessarily the goal. See warning the labels on the Steam store page, and when you log into the game?
We're glorified testers. It essentially tells us only to buy the game if we are enthusisats and die hard supportors.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 5

You dont get my point. I dont want model artists to start coding, I want coders to code tents and not 10 firemodes on a defibrillator and difference pixel shader effects for drinking desinfectant becuase these are thingst hat basically never are used ingame while players liking to have a stash for loot is something everyone wants.

Hmm...

We got new gear not so many patches ago, there's wet-status on the experimental build just to name two things. I think we're getting noticable things pretty much all the time.

Edited by LeChat
  • Like 1

... Persistent storage is slated for the next big update. Backpacks get tested first. Then tents. And so on.
Barricading will come after that. That will be a game changer.

The larger projects do not stop the smaller projects from happening. We'll likely still get content as they are pushed out.
In essence, there is no disparity for you to plead for.

The particle system is going to be redone from scratch at some point.
Not necessarily now.
Weather synchronization and wetness/dampness are the corner stone of things like hypothermia, wind/weather affecting you aim, the need for camp fires, ect.
Server and Engine optimization are key to us having enough FPS to have an enjoyable experience, and are also attributed to us having more Zombies and Players on the map.
Zombies have gotten better pathing AI and now generally aim for our chests more effectively.

I would hardly call any of these past changes transparent.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 4

Actually GEEEEF is the right attitude to have. Some player here have this masochistic/asketic concept that we are not supposed to have fun in (a paid) alpha (that moved more than a million copies).

So in my playstyle i have no use for an expanded medical system, extra torture tools or payday masks. I want more loot, more different places to loot and more guns. And loot specific features, like tents. I might be leaning far out but I assume that it is like that for most players, because most encounters with others end it combat if you are not in a group already.

Therefore any patch that lists stuff that does not add more features to my style of playing is boring for me. It is frustrating to wait for a new patch and then have to squeeze some fun out of the new features because you need to carefully go through it to find something that

rocket talking about this and that deep under the surface that will make something awesome far later in time is just filler material for me. It is nice for people who enjoy reading about the development process but I would like more hard tangible gameplay stuff because I dont care much about the stuff I cant experience as a player

It works like this:

It was clearly stated in the warnings on steam before you bought the game not to unless you wanted to support the development of the game....

Maybe take a break come back in a few months and you will have more toys suiting you if not i guess you can stay and complain on the forums but it wont make them come out with new stuff any faster

Alleycat, you just gave me cancer with your incredibly selfish sense of entitlement. You really don't know how development works, and it shows.

The head artist pushes out new screens on Twitter, almost daily, of the things they are working on. Also it has been mentioned that by Rocket that the next major implementation is hunting and cooking. That comes right after persistent storage.

But seeing those things don't fit your play style, I'm sure you still won't be happy.

Edited by Esolu

Hello there

This is so frustrating.

If the devs were seen to be handing out trinkets then they get lambasted for not fixing "important" things.

Also, you guys have had oooooodles of new content and player facing items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

If the devs were seen to be handing out trinkets then they get lambasted for not fixing "important" things.

This. Every single time.

Because the needs of lone wolf KOS kids, like Alleycat, are more important. He wants better things than canvas pants. Better stop work on the new found memory leak, just for him.

Yes I am entitled to ask for features I find the most interesting.

MEMEMEEMEMEMEME

To be more specific I bought 23€ worth of entitlement to:

-complain about stuff I dont like

-suggest/demand what I want the most out of the game.

Just like anyone else has who bought the game. So stop making this into some big charity event where everyone has to agree and be thankful all the time.

I am one of probably a million customers who all want something specific, and everyone who voices what the want gives the developers a clear image of what the customer base wants. And that is more supportive to a game s development than instutuating a fanboi cult that treats everyone that has a complaint as a heretic.

Besides a an early access alpha is a hamster wheel the developer is stuck in (with a lot of money). Once an early access alpha starts you got to balance features that take a long time with adding quick things to keep players entertained.

Such is life in the zone (hamsterwheel)

It works like this:

just no.

when a game is in early access you are not a priority, they are not required to pander to you, you decided to spend money on the game they will release in the future, they are allowing you to play the very early versions of said game and maybe help them test it. keeping you entertained is the purpose of the finished product, not the development cycle. it's not their fault you decided that you want the finished product now and not when it's finished. you don't pay for a hotdog and then complain that while the hotdog vendor is making it you aren't being fed.

also, those little survival based things that you don't play for, are precisely the reason why other people may play, so what on earth makes you the standard by which they should develop? I'm happy to get big things, but I also like it when little things get added because the little things add up, and a game where hundreds of little things happen to you is much more interesting then a game where just a few things happen over and over again.

Yes I am entitled to ask for features I find the most interesting.

MEMEMEEMEMEMEME

To be more specific I bought 23€ worth of entitlement to:

-complain about stuff I dont like

-suggest/demand what I want the most out of the game.

Just like anyone else has who bought the game. So stop making this into some big charity event where everyone has to agree and be thankful all the time.

I am one of probably a million customers who all want something specific, and everyone who voices what the want gives the developers a clear image of what the customer base wants. And that is more supportive to a game s development than instutuating a fanboi cult that treats everyone that has a complaint as a heretic.

Besides a an early access alpha is a hamster wheel the developer is stuck in (with a lot of money). Once an early access alpha starts you got to balance features that take a long time with adding quick things to keep players entertained.

Such is life in the zone (hamsterwheel)

Instead of getting enraged, duckling, will you read what I posted and consider that these things you are howling about are minor changes really aren't?

This game? Won't be recognizable in three months. That is a drop in the bucket, no time at all. It doesn't even have most of the core features of the survival genre. When it does, it will be glorious.

No one is taking the little trinkets you want away from you, they will still be released with relative frequency.

Essentially, this disparity of content is all in your head.

And.. As for "Cult" like behavior? This does not apply to me. I thought the breakneck speed they were going up until recently was bound to lead to some trouble. Guess what? Memory Leak. I was right. But I have little to complain about because A. Alpha things are bound to get broken and B. They learned from their mistake, and are going at a much more reasonable pace.

Edited by Rudette