MissyX

What do a mute person do?

After playing 500+ hrs of the mod with no mic I became conditioned to play DayZ without speaking, so now in the SA when I actually have a mic I find it really weird to actually use it since I'm so used to just KOS'ing everyone.

Just do what I do, grab a mosin,100 rounds, LRS and a decent place to camp and murder everything you see, game is fantastic to be a KOS sniper currently, never gets boring.

Edited by ASDF991
  • Like 1

Surprised no one suggested a text to speak app. You can get one for your phone, and put it up to the microphone. Super easy. Although most apps I found, sound a bit robotic.

There are some very realist text to voice pc programs, but I dunno how you relay those over thr mic (unless you had two PCs).

Edited by stc105
  • Like 2

Surprised no one suggested a text to speak app. You can get one for your phone, and put it up to the microphone. Super easy. Although most apps I found, sound a bit robotic.

There are some very realist text to voice pc programs, but I dunno how you relay those over thr mic (unless you had two PCs).

Something like virtual audio cable program would be able to play it through the mic on the same pc for you. Thats how people play music and stuff so well through the mic

• Like 1

let a friend record a soundboard for you, which you can play with keyboard shortcuts like "SHIFT + F1 - F12" - and go like

F1 - "Hi, i am friendly"

F2 - "I am a mute person, pls consider"

F3 - "Yes"

F4 - "No"

F5 - "...

etc...

map the record channel of the soundcard to "what you hear" or the soundboard program.

this is possible with most modern soundcards.

and theeere you go. first contact problems solved

Thats sad, because being able to verbally communicate is a huge part in the game. Whether its in teamspeak or in direct comms in the game, most people expect it- even if its just to taunt your victim or defy your assailant.

I suppose you could try to find a voice synth program that you could macro with specific things to say, or (the most likely to be effective) develop a playstyle that requires no verbalization at all- the classic lone wolf. Kill everyone you see, and keep to yourself.

I wouldnt give up on the game just because you are mute, but I would expect to continue to be treated just as you were, should you find yourself interacting with other players. You might get lucky and run into someone willing to take the time and read what you have to type, but to be honest they will be the smallest minority of players. No offense, but I wouldn't wait for you to type out your pleas for mercy. I would shoot you and move on.

Good luck!

Actually I did.

After playing 500+ hrs of the mod with no mic I became conditioned to play DayZ without speaking, so now in the SA when I actually have a mic I find it really weird to actually use it since I'm so used to just KOS'ing everyone.

Just do what I do, grab a mosin,100 rounds, LRS and a decent place to camp and murder everything you see, game is fantastic to be a KOS sniper currently, never gets boring.

few posts up i made it clear i don't like KOS, no offense, but next time read the tread before posting hehe :)

• Like 2

I might look in to using a soundboard, i use it in EvE-Online from time to time.

I might look in to using a soundboard, i use it in EvE-Online from time to time.

Yeah, to be honest, you probably wouldn't need to bind much - 'stop right there' 'yes' 'no' 'don't shoot' and something along the lines of 'please wait, I'm mute and I have to type'. I'm sure you'd be able to find someone who'd record those soundbites for you. :)

OP...

MissyX = Sirii?

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Edited by ninjaontour

OP...

MissyX = Sirii?

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

hehe no

So i guess maybe what i am asking, is there really a future for a mute girl in the game?

We had a person with hearing loss join our clan. Needless to say we couldn't let him join because he couldn't hear us properly. It was a tough call and we feel really terrible afterwards.

There are a lot of people with the rule of shooting silent players. I am sorry. Maybe if you can deal with this then you can continue playing. If not I would try other games.

That or try finding a program which would speak for you. 

I am a mute person, as in i can't talk at all as i have no voice. So my question is, how will i go about playing this game as i can't talk to people. The other day i was running around in some small village not to far from devils, and i heard someone tell me to stop and don't turn around. I did, i dropped my axe, my backpack. Then this person ask me to reply to him, so i typed i could not speak and would be using text, and before i knew it the bastard shot me and said "stop lying"

And to day i was at the far east air port and two people with rifles ran just in front of me without noticing me sitting in a bush. So i typed "hey please stop" And ofc they would not do it, and i sort of felt i had to take them down, but before i could i 3rd player came and told them in voice to stop and lay down... guess what... they both did with in a couple of sec. I just slowly backed up from there and left the area.

So i guess maybe what i am asking, is there really a future for a mute girl in the game?

Hi Missy,

I used to play DayZ mod with a girl that was deaf, and who did not speak either, and while I'm positive it was an extra challenge for her like many other things in life would be, she was up for it and did very well.  Obviously interactions between players are key in this game, and not being able to speak will put you at a disadvantage in many situations... however, many fully-voiced  people play the game that do not have a microphone and rely on text as well for their communication.  They too would've been shot by the same person that shot you for "lying" about not being able to voice-communicate with them; it doesn't sound like you ran into a very trusting player in the first place. There isn't much you can do about that.

It will make the game harder for you in those situations, but it is nothing that you cannot overcome and be that much more proud of yourself for having done so.  I don't think that you need to go to the lengths of having pre-recorded soundboards and everything.  You just tell the person you have no mic, and thats all they need to know. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

We had a person with hearing loss join our clan. Needless to say we couldn't let him join because he couldn't hear us properly. It was a tough call and we feel really terrible afterwards.

That's fucked up, dude.

• Like 4

Hi Missy,

I used to play DayZ mod with a girl that was deaf, and who did not speak either, and while I'm positive it was an extra challenge for her like many other things in life would be, she was up for it and did very well.  Obviously interactions between players are key in this game, and not being able to speak will put you at a disadvantage in many situations... however, many fully-voiced  people play the game that do not have a microphone and rely on text as well for their communication.  They too would've been shot by the same person that shot you for "lying" about not being able to voice-communicate with them; it doesn't sound like you ran into a very trusting player in the first place. There isn't much you can do about that.

It will make the game harder for you in those situations, but it is nothing that you cannot overcome and be that much more proud of yourself for having done so.  I don't think that you need to go to the lengths of having pre-recorded soundboards and everything.  You just tell the person you have no mic, and thats all they need to know. 

Good luck!

Yeah i am starting to see how hard it is going to be, so we'll see how long i can keep alive, i have plenty of ammo, food and drink, a nice staging area :)

• Like 5

Yeah i am starting to see how hard it is going to be, so we'll see how long i can keep alive, i have plenty of ammo, food and drink, a nice staging area :)

You don't need to use voice, but having a designated voice, like when playing with a buddy or group, or if you have a friend over in real life, he/she can use the microphone whilst you play. I take it you have to know sign, so some of your close friends who may have the interest, and can interpret your sign, and speak it.

This topic made me have a crazy self-awareness epiphany, and I thank you for it OP.

On to your point: I would either look for a clan or a group of friends on here.

While it may seem sketch to meet someone, if you are planning to spend some time with that person, they are probably legitimate if they friended you from the forums and took the time to seek companionship.

Or a special brand of psycho.

On that note (the companionship not psycho), feel free to add me on steam "wigginmiller". I may not be available often, but id love to be "the voice" for someone if I get the chance!

• Like 1

Sound board sounds like a good idea.  Also learning the interactions well should help.  Like Wave/Point/Hands up/Clapping... and ofc the finger.

I would also see about finding a group of people to play with.  There is always safety in numbers.

Missy.. I only read your OP so forgive me if Im late here. One idea I have is if you do have a mic and say a smartphone, you could have someone else pre-record certain phrases for you, that you could then play a loud over sidechat through your mic from your phone (using speakerphone of course). Maybe that can be a solution?

Phrases like, "I am mute in real life. This is a recording." "Please stop." "Im friendly." etc... you could play them as you need them and have at least enough to get you to typing back and forth. I really dont know about any other real options you would have. Best of luck

I am a mute person, as in i can't talk at all as i have no voice. So my question is, how will i go about playing this game as i can't talk to people. The other day i was running around in some small village not to far from devils, and i heard someone tell me to stop and don't turn around. I did, i dropped my axe, my backpack. Then this person ask me to reply to him, so i typed i could not speak and would be using text, and before i knew it the bastard shot me and said "stop lying"

And to day i was at the far east air port and two people with rifles ran just in front of me without noticing me sitting in a bush. So i typed "hey please stop" And ofc they would not do it, and i sort of felt i had to take them down, but before i could i 3rd player came and told them in voice to stop and lay down... guess what... they both did with in a couple of sec. I just slowly backed up from there and left the area.

Get one of those machines Stephen hawking has, that will solve your problem.

Get one of those machines Stephen hawking has, that will solve your problem.

Not to be rude, but i think you need to check how he "talks" and why it is so slow for him hehe :)

Have you thought about telling a sawed-off shotgun do the talking for you?

You guys noticed that you move around, if you're typing the the letter w in the ingame chatbox?

You know, if you got really clever im sure you could hook up a text to speech program into your microphone port :) If its something you are interested in let me know and ill poke around. You will probably need a friend to help you make sure the volume and speech come across ok. There is the female equivalent of microsoft sam, but I dont remember what programs support it. There are probably better ones now, I know teamspeak has some kind of support for this. If questioned again, simply say 'no mic' instead of 'cant speak' cant speak is something people wont believe because its rare to find someone who physically can not.

hehe i call her miss lovely teamspeak lol :p