Mctoot

I've just mercilessly gunned down two men...

...and I've never felt so guilty from playing a game and 'killing' two fellow players.

Hello all, first post here. Just thought I would find a forum to discuss the game which I started a couple of evenings ago and have already logged over 15 hours.

So me and my friend where looting the airstrip, he'd been there earlier today on his own and suggested we both go back together (more for me than anything).

I trekked west from Vysota and met him en route to the air strip. In the 15 hours of 'gearing up' we had only encountered one other player who disappeared into the Forrest upon seeing myself and my 2 companions walking through a Forrest. We have decided to be neutral but swerve towards being heroes rather than bandits.

We got into the airstrip and started looting the big hangers, we were in the corner facing away from the entrance trading items etc, but then I turned around and see two silhouettes against the afternoon sun...

Now... Upon starting this game (I dabbled with the mod but didn't get on well with it) me and my friends spoke about how we would approach new players and showing the friendly emotes (hands up, waving etc). But we always thought we would have met someone out in the open or in a city. Not pinned in a hanger with no where to go.

Me and the unfamiliar player closest to us froze and he just stared at me. His handgun was drawn and aimed at us, his ally was fumbling for his rifle (he had an axe drawn) but my attention was on the guy with the gun, before I could even attempt to communicate he shot at us and thankfully missed (or did I shoot first???), I took aim with my ww2 rifle and fired off three rounds, killing the player there and then.

By this time his ally had started running across the airstrip for refuge or maybe a better vantage shot to take us out from the hanger (I later discovered he had a rifle with scope and bipod). I took him out with a single shot from my rifle....

Now first off, if you guys are on this server me and my friend would both like to apologise as we never wanted to intentionally kill you but simply panicked.

Can anyone recommend a better way of approaching new people? And if anyone else have had a similar first encounter like mine?

Toot

Just kill on sight, its a game no reason to care who or why.

• Like 2

We have decided to be neutral but swerve towards being heroes rather than bandits.

Cool story bro.  :thumbsup:

I doubt you feel guilty. You just wanted to share the story.

No seriously, I wouldn't give a f*ck if they were fair game or whatnot. I just feel sorry that the guys may have been friendlies and have to start from scratch.

He shot first. That instantly absolves you of all responsibility for the situation in my opinion. Self defence. 

He shot first. That instantly absolves you of all responsibility for the situation in my opinion. Self defence.

Tbh I seriously can't remember if he shot first, I know he was taking aim (as was I) but I'm not sure.

Tbh I seriously can't remember if he shot first, I know he was taking aim (as was I) but I'm not sure.

Ah well, heat of the moment and all that. Airstrips are generally considered kill zones anyway so it seems. I think you'd be pretty lucky to run into anyone friendly out there. 

I am a friendly and I'll help anyone out if they don't shoot first, but even I keep my weapon up and ready when heading into military bases/airfields.

• Like 1

I did think that after, I would imagine most cities and military bases are KoS areas. Really enjoying the game so far though and looking forward to were it goes.

Airstrips are generally considered kill zones anyway so it seems

Coasts and airfields = death.

No discussion, no reasons required. That's just how it is.

Youre more likely to find "friendlies" outside of military loot zones, but Airfields and coastlines are open season.

I did think that after, I would imagine most cities and military bases are KoS areas. Really enjoying the game so far though and looking forward to were it goes.

Cities I think you've got more chance of finding a friendly, especially if you're more inland. Cherno/Elektro are definite hotspots on populated servers. I tend to think of the major coastal cities as endgame areas to come when I'm geared up, since that's where a lot of players seem to head. 

But even the smaller cities closer to them like Dubky and Novoselky I think you'll find the odd friendly.

That whole i wanted to be a hero that a bandit hyprocracy is getting kind of lame....there is no real bandit in game, just KoSers or bullies who forcefeed others, i wonder when they are going to implement rape ( and of course buttrape for the guys ) and BDSM... In your case shooting back was justified, those guys had the chance to fake it but decided to draw when they were at a disadvantage.

That whole i wanted to be a hero that a bandit hyprocracy is getting kind of lame....there is no real bandit in game, just KoSers or bullies who forcefeed others, i wonder when they are going to implement rape ( and of course buttrape for the guys ) and BDSM... In your case shooting back was justified, those guys had the chance to fake it but decided to draw when they were at a disadvantage.

To be fair I'm relatively new to the game and have just read a few threads about people being 'heroes' by going out of there way to help people (offering food/drinks, meds etc). I can remember watching a youtube vid last year of a guy who was considered an 'angel' (sounds really gay I know) but this guy was intense, he would go miles out of his way to help injured players or to even help kill bandits, I just thought it was a pretty cool concept and to be honest I think the whole 'surviving' concept at this point in the alpha will get pretty boring pretty quickly.

Airstrip? Check.

Gun drawn? Check.

Unresponsive? Check.

Those are 3 big red flags that you need to kill or be killed.

(And that's coming from a person who is unreasonably friendly even to people who are armed.)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 6

I am trying really hard not to punch you through my screen.

• Like 6

I felt bad about killing somebody before too. I kept telling myself that I would try to be friendly, but I just straight up murdered this guy (He was a friendly). Idk why, I guess it's because every other player I ran into up to that moment was trying to kill me and I just reacted. It wasn't kos, but after I handcuffed him and saw he didn't have good loot, instead of helping him out I just axed him. 

I love that this game can actually make me feel guilty though. I'm enjoying DayZ a lot. A big part of why I felt guilty was because the guy was talking to me afterwards though. 

I can't tell what I am in this game yet. I would think that I'm neutral, since I had some friendly moments. My biggest mental rule is to give fresh spawns a chance. I only kill them if they attack me for no reason.

Knock... You sound like a crazy mofo. I like it! We're going down to capture some 'Bambi's' on the east coast tomorrow nsight to harvest some blood, setting then Free of course after :)

Use your mic. At least give them a chance to hear you and know your intentions.. but when all else fails, do what you did. 

Survive.

My group found a guy at the top of a fire station. He was nervous and told us to take whatever we wanted that was still there as he climbed down. He had a gas mask on and I couldn't tell if he was a crazed killer or a normal survivor. My buddies surrounded him and shot him. 

I listen to music while I play, because its a video game and I like having fun. So I might be the only one but I get INCREDIBLY annoyed and frustrated when people try to communicate with me using their real voice. I usually just take out my magnum and unload a few rounds in 'da face so you stop ruining my music.

Emotes are awesome, and totally death traps.

Yeah, I had a guy log in (I think) behind me at the NEAF.  Heard some talking, and it wasn't my buddy on overwatch talking at me.  He took a shot to scare the dude away, who ran directly into my sights.  Shot him down, but I felt kinda bad about it.  I don't even think his gun was drawn.  Sorry guy.  Still pretty new at this, and airfields are terrifying.  Hopefully the next time that sort of thing happens, I'll react a little less violently.

I'm still breathing, though.  So I feel pretty ok about that.

• Like 1

You're a douche. At the very least behaving like this can undo hours of work by other players if not ruin the experience completely. I'm so f*cking tired of being killed by a-holes for no good reason. I'm one of the few players who will give others the benefit of the doubt despite being armed to the teeth most of the time. 

I put it to you that you should not indiscriminately kill other players, its a game no reason to care who or why.

• Like 1

I felt bad about killing somebody before too. I kept telling myself that I would try to be friendly, but I just straight up murdered this guy (He was a friendly). Idk why, I guess it's because every other player I ran into up to that moment was trying to kill me and I just reacted. It wasn't kos, but after I handcuffed him and saw he didn't have good loot, instead of helping him out I just axed him. 

I love that this game can actually make me feel guilty though. I'm enjoying DayZ a lot. A big part of why I felt guilty was because the guy was talking to me afterwards though. 

I can't tell what I am in this game yet. I would think that I'm neutral, since I had some friendly moments. My biggest mental rule is to give fresh spawns a chance. I only kill them if they attack me for no reason.

Huh???? you say your neutral but you cuffed a poorly geared guy checked his shit and decided to axe him ....... You dont have any mental rules your a bandit nothing wrong with that if you want to play that way but why all the bull in your 3rd paragraph ???

• Like 1

I'd like to buy DayZ from you. Immediately.