MyPassword is Chickens20

Impossible to be "Friendly" in this game. Resorted to Banditry.

When I first brought this game I had hopes of becoming a Friendly, Bandit killing machine much like youtubers such as FrankieOnPC. Soon after I came to the realization that unless your a recognized/famous Youtuber, Nobody is friendly. This game is just a slow paced, agitating Team death match.

I've come across and tried to help so many people and have been backstabbed/Set up near enough every time. Now I see myself becoming one of the very people ruining this game by shooting others on site for out of fear they're going to be the first to pull the trigger if I don't.

Heres a little story about what happened to me and my friend yesterday. - 

We was on a full server, and went up to the NE Airfield. As I approached the Traffic Control tower, I saw a guy coming down the stairs, Only being armed with a Mosin I pulled back to the Green building (Jail). He saw us and tried flanking around the back of the jail, I shouted friendly but saw him come round the corner with his M4 pulled. I quickly shot him with the mosin.

He spoke down the Mic and said "I wasnt going to shoot you, Can you revive me" I didnt believe him one bit but being the good guy I removed the ammo from his weapon, Injected him with Saline and Defibbed him. Also give him Morphine to fix his broken leg he somehow broke. Risking my own life being in the middle of the airfield helping a total stranger. I told him to run away and that he did.

Me and my friend got what we needed, Ran to the first houses across from the airfield to be fired upon, a few seconds later was laughed at down the headset by him and his friends as they looted our body.

This is why Im turning into a Bandit, Not helping anybody, Killing them on sight instead. 

Anybody had similar experiences?

Welcome to the KOS club. Where ''friendly players'' where not greeted with a friendly word, but with a friendly bullet. Got killed 15 times now being friendly and afterwards being raped in the back with a axe or shotgun.

You aren't trying hard enough. Also gave you considered not getting your self into situations that will get you killed? Like killing people on sight for instance or "trying to be friendly". How about instead of killing someone and screwing them over you just avoid them.

by the way, if you are playing friendly and haven't joined up with a group yet then that is your own fault.

Edited by Beck
  • Like 4

Welcome to the KOS club. Where ''friendly players'' where not greeted with a friendly word, but with a friendly bullet. Got killed 15 times now being friendly and afterwards being raped in the back with a axe or shotgun.

Yeah its like fighting a losing battle. 

People aren't greatful with a few tins of beans and a water bottle. They just want your whole kit, They have nothing to lose so why not take a crack and KO'ing you to get it?

While I liked the story you shared, EVERYONE has had similar experiences. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

• Like 3

While I liked the story you shared, EVERYONE has had similar experiences. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Oh thats just an instance from yesterday. 

Im forever being attacked by people I've helped, And its getting to the point now as to where Im giving up trying.

Just posted this to hear others stories on the same topic. 

You aren't trying hard enough

Why should he when so many others chose the easy path of I 'll F***you up on sight? How many tries are enough? 

OP welcome to DayCODblacopsz, the delay multiplayer deathmatch ( I said it, deal with it )

Well of course trying to help is  a risk for your own safety so if you do it be prepared to regret it, just like not helping and trying to KOS.

Why should he when so many others chose the easy path of I 'll F***you up on sight? How many tries are enough? 

OP welcome to DayCODblacopsz, the delay multiplayer deathmatch ( I said it, deal with it )

I think he was trolling, Either that or he didn't read the thread properly. Hence no reply. 

ha, And thanks man! Dying isn't really a super big issue for me as I play with a few cool guys who're always looking out for gear for one another. 

Its just a bit boring that nobody is willing to interact positively in game to one another.

Its just a bit boring that nobody is willing to interact positively in game to one another.

You helped a stranger at an Airfield...  stupidity such as that deserves to die.  Same as helping out in Balota or Chero or Elektro...  in hotspots you care about yourself first, your squad second and everyone else never... 

• Like 3

Don't mix up KoSers with bandtis. 

I'm not a heroe and not a bandit. I just decide every round, what my attitude will be. And this decides on the other hand how fast I'm going to pull the trigger.

Just hold the people from a save position up and decide, if you're going to rob them, support them, or make them run. Personally, I don't tell things twice. After I said F2, you got 2 seconds. Most time I have to shoot people after this - announced - penalty; and that's sad, but it's the only way it works with all the douches :x

It would be impossible to count the amount of times I have been screwed over by people in this game. It's almost as difficult as trying to figure out how many hours I've played this game and the mod. But it would also be impossible to count how many people I successfully helped without them screwing me over, without them killing me on sight, I stuck with the "hard mode"in this game which no doubt is the play style that puts you at risk the most but also shows that you have valuable morals and care about other people playing the game enough not to ruin what they worked for.

Edited by Beck
  • Like 2

I have to admit, when i first started playing i tried to be friendly. But everyone makes a very valid point. If you are moving into hot zones, just keep in mind that you will be shot at, and others are there to keep others from getting gear or gearing themselves up. Moving solo, or in a squad its always a good idea to be skeptical of the guy calling "friendly" over the mic. And when that gun raises you take the shot. There have been numerous times when i played solo that i tried to be friendly so i could eventually make some friends and a squad....AND many times it has backfired. Ultimately, avoid people if you can. Be careful when you roll into hot zones. If its an airbase or a popular city (cherno) there is a good chance you are being watched all ready by someone with a LRS. Or have been seen coming into the hot zone. Personally, when im in those hot zones i immediately switch to KIS. If you let that person get one second to raise his/her gun they will take the shot. 

But, i also dont play alone. I dont move in until i have a buddy posted in overwatch with an LRS. Which has saved me many many times.

Everyone pulls the "I'm friendly or the I wouldn't have shot you" card when you have them dead to rights. People arent too brave while staring down the barrel of a gun or if they don't have back up. Next time just feed him a bit more lead and keep your eyes out for incoming back up

You helped a stranger at an Airfield...  stupidity such as that deserves to die.  Same as helping out in Balota or Chero or Elektro...  in hotspots you care about yourself first, your squad second and everyone else never... 

The human kindness of a medic knows no bounds, friend. (i.e, sprinting to the NWAF to kill three bandits and revive your patient). If you think about yourself first and foremost in any situation, you and your squad will die. You must think of you, your squad, and how every individual operates within said squad. If you favor one life over another, the squad will fall apart.

• Like 3

So far have logged about only 90 hours in DayZ SA according to Steam. I have played mainly solo but also have been in groups. They are 2 vary different experiences.

While solo after being shot in the back a few times, I learned to pretty much not trust anyone. I remember thinking, "So that's how this game is, alright then". People are much much more likely to try to pull crap with you, and even gang up on you so called hero or bandit. I pretty much have learned to avoid certain areas like NWAF, electro ect ect and go to places to get weapons and loot that are not as popular. If I do go to NWAF I'm in and out as fast as possible. As far as my engagement policy, If I see someone with a gun, I do not prox voice them unless the prox voice me 1st. I try to avoid if I can. If they come near me with a gun raised its KOS period with no prox voice. I have prox voiced armed people 1st solo and it did not turn out good. Sorry its just that I have learned the hard way not to trust people unless they say they are freindly, and seem like they are not going to pull any crap. I pretty much have a stealthy yet hostile paranoid mindset while playing solo, I hate to say. It sucks it has to be that way, but people tend to be hostile way more hostile toward solo players.

In groups its much easier, because other people are watching your back. You can share items. Its also much easier to make prox voice with other players too with out the pulling any crap because you are in force. Its an easier life grouped for sure, and people well most people are less likely engage you just because they feel like being a dick. But being pined down is the one danger I noticed. Other group eventually will want to try there luck with your group. You also have much more presence and are more visible.

As far as DayZ goes there is really no clear sides or rules even. If it were a real life it would be worse case. There's really no points system that I have seen. You don't get points for being nice or being mean to people. Its the internet so peoples true ID aren't known so they feel they can do or act how ever they want without anything happening to them. So it almost encourages people to behave poorly. I give props to people who keep there humanity even in a game like this, and have the patience for it and some times end up getting shot because of it. But at least they keep their decency. 

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 5

Imagine what the world would be like if say a Doctor traveled to some 3rd world country and tried to save lives, only to be robbed and beaten by the very people he tried to help... then he decides to start killing every person he sees in that country to exact revenge. 

Its sort of like Bin Laden, hating America for helping him but then leaving him behind. He got all KOS too. 

Maybe take a break from playing, watch more videos, and decide if playing a game that when you get killed makes you want to change your entire stance on how you play it is even worth it. 

• Like 1

You obviously don't want to be a 'friendly' that much...

This.  I've been killed a bunch but that doesn't make me want to join the most boring play style.

Edit: I assume by "resorted to banditry" you meant "resorted to KoS"?

Edited by Mdogg2005

I think there are certain areas where kill on sight is more common then in other. Cherno, Elektro and the Airfields are very dangerous. Many geared players who are very anxious about there stuff with a very very loose trigger-fingers....

I think almost 80% to 90% of the persons you met there will shot you instantly. Meanwhile, beside these hotspots, I have the feeling that way more than 50% of my encounters have ended friendly.

It also depends on the server I suppose. More friendly people in experimental. Less friendly people on US or RUS-Server (just my feeling).

• Like 2

its bound to happen. welcome to the dark side.

i dont mind dying from people who KOS. what absolutely annoys me are douches who say they are friendly and then seconds later, shoot you in the face. that, to me, is the worst kind of player. it happened to me 3 days ago- usually i dont trust anyone. id rather shoot someone than listen to their whinings and stories and pleadings. but this time i gave a stranger the benefit of the doubt- he said 'dont shoot, friendly! friendly! please dont shoot me!" total emotional overkill. so i gave him a chance. maybe this guy is legit.

i was fully geared, 200+ SKS ammo, pristine PU scope, dressed how I like to be dressed, vest, h backpack, pimp ass red do rag.

seconds later, ass hat shoots me in the face.

so after that one, ive thrown in the towel.

theres really no benefit to helping someone. what do you gain? you dont- you might give them food (thats less food for you), give them ammo (less ammo for you), etc etc etc.

but you have a shitton to lose. and who says you have to help people? object of the game is for YOU to survive, not you, him and every crackhead running around.

but something is so strange on this forum that bandits are the "worst style of play" or whatever hoopla crap is being said, but in reality, bandits are the ones who stay alive. id rather gun a player down and take their loot than help someone fresh bambi on the coast who is just going to knock me out and take all my stuff. youre kidding youreself if you think youre helping a fresh spawn- thats probably the same douche canoe who just got killed after ganking someone. helping people is great if you love starting over again and again and again. but it is interesting that people think YOU are bad for bandit/KOS'ing, when in fact other players drove you to that method of play. but i do believe it depends on the style of play you like- i prefer to KEEP my loot. i have zero desire to gather for an hour to let someone else take it. its mine and ill kill to keep it.

Up to me.

Edited by DirtyscumbagLith
  • Like 3

OP: Don't confuse being friendly with being trusting.

You can be friendly all you want, just never turn your back on them or let them get within 20 feet of you.

And for the love of god, KOS everyone at mil bases or airfields as those are not locations to try to make friends at unless you are suicidal or want an 'experience' you can then b*tch about on a forum!

• Like 4

While that is a bit of a sad story its no reason to stop being friendly. you did the right thing you just went about it the wrong way.

the ONLY places where you say "no" to being friendly are NW, NE, and Balota airfield.

while the game does have a good chunk of trolls to it a lot of people are playing the game to have fun and dont find it amusing to shove half a hunting backpack worth of rotton fruit down someones throat.

We have 7 people in our group.

3 mosins with scopes

3 M4

and i have a spotter with an SKS

while we seem to be just one big group of "fuck you noobs" we are actually nice guys.

we camp spawns and hand out open cans of food and water bottles. (we dont hand out guns or melee, while we like being nice we dont like being stupid)

on higher pop servers we run people to elektro, and lower pop servers we like to bring people with us to NW airfield so we can stock up on ammo

We clearn elektro and cherno of nasty little snipers, and pretty much play guardian angel to bambies (new spawns)

and if we REALLY want gear or ammo we just sit near spawn area and wait for people to try and troll noobs XD (you would be surprised as to how many people just say "fuck it" and troll bambies once they get fully geared.) we see them kill someone and we just drop them, loot what we need, and then leave the rest for fresh spawns

how to be friendly but NOT get your face axed:

1-sound friendly

2-keep you weapon ready but dont point it at them

3-avoid face to face contact unless you feel safe enough to meet them.

4-look unimportant, geared people porbably wont shoot you if you dont look threatning (example dont fucking wear payday masks idc how badass they look it scream "BANDIT" when you wear them) and they might be low on ammo and dont wanna waste the shot on somthing that isnt a threat

5-dont be too greedy, offer aid to someone and chances are you just made a good friend. friends=better survival

6-if you see 2 people go at it, and you want to help, kill who ever shot first, the survivor will be shaken up so dont just go blundering up to him, chances are you will wind up with a pipe wrench lodged in your head, calm him down and remind him you helped

and you cant really go by what youtubers and streamers do, youtubers cut out a lot slow, embarassing,or BS moments, and streamers are usually treated nicly because they are playing on a server most likely full of people who watch their stream. so most likely when they run into someone, and they start speaking to them, they are hoping they reconize their voice from the stream and will lower their gun XD

And if you get on a server and see anyone with a tag {fsts} and with the name Gluttony, lust, Greed, Wrath, Envy, Pride, or Sloth

dont be shy, thats me and my group, we dont mind lending a hand or a can of beans, or if you need passage through elektro or cherno, or if we are heading towards NW airfield we dont mind the company.

we are not trying to "police" dayz, we just like helping people down on their luck, and like to at least show people that not every sniper is out for your can of sardines lol

Edited by Kellrush
  • Like 3

Fully eqipped (3 weeks alive), helped some random guy in Elektro with a gun, some beans and stuff. Walking slow thru the whole town and what happens? 5(!) idiots shot me down (PvE / NO PvP Server). They dont want to talk, they dont let you bandage yourself, they've just want to kill on sight. Take a break, there are no normal people playing this game.

Edited by Spatz