Sign in to follow this  
randalmcdaniels

If i was dean hall

What i would change first

De-Robot the characters. Dayz still painfully resembles the robotic control scheme of the military simulation arma2. Dayz is in dire need of user control overhaul.
When you approach another player hilarity ensues..After playing dayz for so long i personally refer to it as the PVP dance.. Aliens from outerspace looking down would probably think it was some sort of bizzarre mating ritual. More times than not when i catch an enemy player offguard they hilariously panic and you can watch in awe as they painfully struggle to accomplish simple tasks. At first they may stop and lift up their fists in an attempt to ready their weapon, than they stop to try again and this time they put their fists down and accidentally do a hilarious fence-step-over animation. Than they finally unholster their rifle and take a few seconds before they remember to "ready weapon"... I have seen players even screw up as much as accidentally pressing sit down or prone by accident. It's pretty funny and sad at the same time.

For starters.. They really need to toss out some of these unneccesary charactercontrol mid-steps.
-Remove the "ready weapon" midstep. Simplify it to just have the weapon either OUT or NOT OUT like every other game on the planet. (just automatically lowers when you run like any other game) And slightly speed up weapon draw speeds so that players can more readily just press 1 or 2 to take out their weapons.

-Completely remove and re-write the god awful running system (double tap forward/toggleC/toggleSHift,toggle control) Just simply make it SHIFT to run and maybe ctrl to walk. And instead of awkwardly double tapping buttons to toggle, just add a checkbox option in the menu labeled "Toggle sprint, or toggle crouch" just like any other game on the planet. This would free up some confusion.

-Completely remove the awkward stiff upright forced-walking animation that occurs when walking up a slight incline and replace it with a slow jog.  (nobody in real life walks up a hill like that.. They would naturally hunch forward if anything..And especially if zombies are behind them they would not walk upright up the hill)

-And why does it take a thousand button pressed to go from prone to crouch to standing back up again? Heres an idea, make crouch and stand up the same key like every other game on earth.
-When a player is prone they should be able to press SPACEBAR to stand up in one complete motion without the painful and sluggish crouch midstep.. and if they don't want to stand up in one complete motion guess what! They should be able to just press the crouch key to go back up to crouch!

Other things

-Autorun

-Completely remove the annoying "I feel like having a drink" or "My stomach grows violently" notifications. And add a real system of how much health,food,water we need.

-Fix the silly unconscious system (i put 8 magnum rounds in a knocked out guys skull and he wakes up and punches me in abck of head 5 minutes later)

-Completely remove the 100% "RUINED" items by a zombie simply punching my backpack one-time. (how can one zombie smack ruin 32 .45 acp rounds??)

-At least add an animation for broken leg instead of forcing the user to go prone..

-Add a rotate button to rotate inventory items in bag.
-Hold shift to select multiple items in inventory at once
-Add a map or at least make them more readily available.
-Make all doors open inward as to not push the players

-Add spawns inland

-Remove all traces of arma2 signs. Game still reveals many signs of arma2..Get rid of that military-like o-key menu to see which players are in the server and just replace it with a simple user friendly TAB menu to see a players list and pings. And ditch the arma options menu and the downright frightening keybind menu.. And even in video options it still says things like "All arma2 trees and grass" Which they probably hide.

-Add back the original dayz mod ambient background music
-Fix the dumbass fall damage system.
-Make an effort to add real loot instead of just clothes (game looks like a VOGUE fashion show simulator)
-Make binoculars readily available.

-Fix weapon reload/empty ammo system.. If you have ammo that fits a gun you should be able to just use it all without having to maticulously stop and manually drag it into your rifle or put them into a clip.. It results in some real panic/struggle when you are mid-pvp and have to stop and open your inventory to instruct your character to put bullets in a speedloader.. He should already know that needs to be done.

Edited by randalmcdaniels

So, if your were Dean Hall, you'd start again from scratch using a different game engine?

Who said that? no other engine can offer what dayz requres to be as gritty/real/and atmospheric as well as arma engine can.. Arma engine is really the only option. I don't think you need a new game engine to change controls, but if you think that you might want to pull your head out from your gaping asshole

Who said that dumbfuck, no other engine can offer what dayz requres to be as gritty/real/and atmospheric as it is.. Arma engine is really the only option. I don't think you need a new game engine to change controls, but if you think that you might want to pull your head out from your gaping asshole

Apparently you did, but there's no need to get so angry about it.

Edited by Dezarys

Do not agree, what you described is exactly what makes dayz. People do panic when they aren't prepared and get startled, specially when their life is threatened. Panic makes people's ability to think go out the window and do stupid things(deer in headlights).

I have set my own controls to my liking not what is the default. On top of that I enter areas with tact and weapon ready, not running empty handed down the middle of the road becoming suprised when I get shot at.

Raise/Lower is there to move away from mainstream shooters, it is proof of intent when someone raises a weapon at you.

Edited by akafugitive

De-Robot the characters. Dayz still painfully resembles the robotic control scheme of the military simulation arma2. Dayz is in dire need of user control overhaul.

When you approach another player hilarity ensues..After playing dayz for so long i personally refer to it as the PVP dance.. Aliens from outerspace looking down would probably think it was some sort of bizzarre mating ritual. More times than not when i catch an enemy player offguard they hilariously panic and you can watch in awe as they painfully struggle to accomplish simple tasks. At first they may stop and lift up their fists in an attempt to ready their weapon, than they stop to try again and this time they put their fists down and accidentally do a hilarious fence-step-over animation. Than they finally unholster their rifle and take a few seconds before they remember to "ready weapon"... I have seen players even screw up as much as accidentally pressing sit down or prone by accident. It's pretty funny and sad at the same time.

To make a long story short.. The dayz user control is probably the worst i have ever seen in all my gaming career i have never seen anything come within even close to as bad as the dayz control scheme is.

1st i would call the game WarZ because other than the engine i don#t see much difference at the moment and probably not much when it's finished.

2nd If a player does some unwanted movements it definatel has nothing to do with the in game animation nor the keyboard layout because obviously the player is either too stupid to memorize 10 important buttons or too lazy to create their own.

3rd New engine or not unless they completely change their animations or connected animations nothing will change. They would have to do a lot from scratch and that would delay the release by another 3 years considering they just managed to add a handful things after a year of development where they claimed to have achieved a lot more.

But i do agree that the scroll menu is pretty stupid and overloaded because if there has to be a menu i would just add things that are in the immediate vicinity of the player and remove all unneccesary things such as an extra reload command or whatever is in the scroll menu. It's a hassle if you are standing in front of a door and trying to get the open /close door menu to pop up only the scroll to reload because you slightly looked a pixel to the left.

Edited by Enforcer

Lol theres just no winning with you people, its like arguing with my mother..

Yeah dayz controls are really good lol, you win.

Apparently you did, but there's no need to get so angry about it.

I said that dayz needs a new engine? Can you please show me.. I wouldn't play dayz if it used any other engine. I just think it needs a character control overhaul..

Please tell me how i am wrong and how dayz controls are state of the are you lunatics

I've just had a quick squint through your posts and have come to the conclusion that you're just an argumentative troll here to piss and moan about all manner of things that don't match whatever ridiculously high standards you have set for a game in the early stages of development. If you dislike so much about the game, why don't you just fuck off and make your own?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

randalmcdaniels, You need to learn how to love everything Rocket says, does and delivers, otherwise your opinions are moot and will not be looked upon with any credibility. Re-wording your title might have saved you from being bashed.. anything to do with Rocket in the title will tend to set a negative mood for a discussion. As such has been evident.

Unless of course you light-heartedly use him for emotes.

I've just had a quick squint through your posts and have come to the conclusion that you're just an argumentative troll here to piss and moan about all manner of things 

Agreed

randalmcdaniels, You need to learn how to love everything Rocket says, does and delivers, otherwise your opinions are moot and will not be looked upon with any credibility. Re-wording your title might have saved you from being bashed.. anything to do with Rocket in the title will tend to set a negative mood for a discussion. As such has been evident.

Unless of course you light-heartedly use him for emotes.

Well, look at his other posts. one's title is "This game is shit"  And said post was talking about a known bug that is going to be fixed here soon.

Edited by GafMast

Christ you guys are some fanboy fags.. Do you know this is a video game? Or is dayz your life so when someone attacks it you take it personalyl? Look up the definiton of a suggestion before you get butthurt.

They could add pokemon into this game and you lunatics would find a way in your fucked up heads to rationalize how its somehow unique and amazing

What butthurts you the most is you know i am right and all my suggestions are mint you guys are just allergic to logic

And how am i a troll by going out of my way to offer my input on what I THINK will make the game better?  Are you serioyusly threatened by one users ideas? Last time i checked i have no authority to change or modify DAYZ.. If i was a developer i would probably be making these changes myself to the mod but i cant so the next best thing is postign suggestions on the forums..I want dayz to succeed probably more than most of the people here.. Im addicted to it like no other game i have ever played. Some things i just find frustrating and i would like to see changed.. Otherwise i woudn't come here "jumping into the fire" going against the grain of all you fanboy freakazoids by offering my opinion

You nerds are all like "YEAHH ALL TEAM UP ON RANDAL" like you seriously think i care what you think about my fake made up username and harry nilson profile pic? I guess based on your past experience of getting your feelings hurt on the internet you think it will work on me but im no buttfag so good luck

Well, look at his other posts. one's title is "This game is shit"  And said post was talking about a known bug that is going to be fixed here soon.

Even so, What's up with that opinion? One mans gold is another mans tin.

Yeah dayz controls are really good lol, you win.

You should probably listen to your mother also... I'm guessing she pays your way through life currently. Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 1

Who said that? no other engine can offer what dayz requres to be as gritty/real/and atmospheric as well as arma engine can.. Arma engine is really the only option. I don't think you need a new game engine to change controls, but if you think that you might want to pull your head out from your gaping asshole

I was willing to hear out your idea until I accidentally scrolled down too far and saw this. That guy didn't disrespect you in anyway and you still told him off.

And with that in mind, I say piss off.

What would you tackle first if you were dean hall?

What i would change first

To make a long story short.. The dayz user control is probably the worst i have ever seen in all my gaming career i have never seen anything come within even close to as bad as the dayz control scheme is.

For starters.. They really need to toss out some of these unneccesary charactercontrol mid-steps.

-Remove the "ready weapon" midstep. Simplify it to just have the weapon either OUT or NOT OUT like every other game on the planet. (just automatically lowers when you run like any other game) And slightly speed up weapon draw speeds so that players can more readily just press 1 or 2 to take out their weapons.

-Completely remove and re-write the god awful running system (double tap forward/toggleC/toggleSHift,toggle control) Like you can't be serious.. You would honestly have better luck controlling a real life robot. Just simply make it SHIFT to run and maybe ctrl to walk. And instead of awkwardly double tapping buttons to toggle, just add a checkbox option in the menu labeled "Toggle sprint, or toggle crouch" just like any other game on the planet. This would free up some confusion.

-Completely remove the awkward stiff upright forced-walking animation that occurs when walking up a slight incline and replace it with a slow jog.  (nobody in real life walks up a hill like that.. They would naturally hunch forward if anything..And especially if zombies are behind them they would not walk upright up the hill)

-And why does it take a thousand button pressed to go from prone to crouch to standing back up again? Heres an idea, make crouch and stand up the same damn key like every other game on earth.

And listen to this CRAZY idea!!

-When a player is prone they should be able to press SPACEBAR to stand up in one complete motion without the painful and sluggish crouch midstep.. and if they don't want to stand up in one complete motion guess what! They should be able to just press the crouch key to go back up to crouch!! CRAZYYYYY i know!!

Wiseman quote: "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!"

Other things

-Remove all awkward traces of military simulator.. At least TRY and pretend its a standalone game and not just arma2..Get rid of that stupid O menu to see which players are in the server and just replace it with a simple user friendly TAB menu to see a players list and pings. And ditch the ugly arma options menu and downright frightening keybind menu.. And even in video options it still says things like "All arma2 trees and grass".. FACEPALM.

-Completely remove the asinine "I feel like having a drink" or "My stomach grows violently" notifications. And add a real system of how much health,food,water we need.

-Fix the retarded unconscious system (i put 8 magnum rounds in a knocked out guys skull and he wakes up and punches me in abck of head 5 minutes later)

-Completely remove the 100% "RUINED" items by a zombie simply punching my backpack one-time. (how can one zombie smack ruin 32 .45 acp rounds??

-At least add an animation for broken leg instead of forcing the user to go prone..Sometiems i wonder how is this even a standalone game? Everything i see is just mod mod mod.

-Add a rotate button to rotate inventory items in bag.

-Hold shift to select multiple items in inventory at once

-Add a map or at least make them more readily available.

-Make all doors open inward as to not push the players

-Add spawns inland

-Add back the original dayz mod ambient background music

-Fix the dumbass fall damage system.

-Make an effort to add real loot instead of just clothes (game looks like a VOGUE fashion show simulator)

-Make binoculars readily available.

-Fix weapon reload/empty ammo system.. If you have ammo that fits a gun you should be able to just use it all without having to maticulously stop and manually drag it into your rifle or put them into a clip.. It results in some real panic/struggle when you are mid-pvp and have to stop and open your inventory to instruct your character to put bullets in a speedloader.. He should already know that needs to be done.

I like dayz the way it is right now. Most of the changes you supposed would change the game fundamentally and make it more casual, in my opinion.

Certain Elements included in the game were included by INTENTION. I like the controls actually, they may be a bit clunky, but they make me act more carefully.

The rest of your complaintss is just too silly. Generalized and partly wrong... Trashtalking and spreading false info is not the way one communicates an a forum. You want to have an easier game and don't want to miss your ohsoimportant comfort functions. Oh no, i see, you want dayz mod funserver with crysis graphics and yourself being the king of it all. Unfortunately, Gamemaking does not work like that.

Btw: I have a map. And i find real loot.

I said that dayz needs a new engine? Can you please show me.. I wouldn't play dayz if it used any other engine. I just think it needs a character control overhaul..

Please tell me how i am wrong and how dayz controls are state of the are you lunatics

Ok, so insulting people means you're right? Your thinking seems to be just black and white. I would say, the controls are not state of the art, but different from other control schemes. As i said before, i personally like it a lot, even in its unfinished state. If you don't like it, ok. But don't think you're the hub of the world, please. 

• Like 1

Lol and you guys are going through my profile to find other posts to strengthen your case agaisnt me its just funny how nerdy you all are

And how am i a troll by going out of my way to offer my input on what I THINK will make the game better? 

No. You are not a troll for that reason.

I don't think you need a new game engine to change controls, but if you think that you might want to pull your head out from your gaping asshole

Christ you guys are some fanboy fags.. Do you know this is a video game? Or is dayz your life so when someone attacks it you take it personalyl? Look up the definiton of a suggestion before you get butthurt.

They could add pokemon into this game and you lunatics would find a way in your fucked up heads to rationalize how its somehow unique and amazing.

^THIS is why we consider you a troll. You have no respect for people who think different of your idea, you don't embrace constructive criticism, you belittle it. You don't have a place here, randalmcdaniels, not because we don't like your idea, but because you can't stand your idea getting shot down, in a place where HUNDREDS of ideas get shot down.

Edited by Greene
  • Like 2

//Remove the "ready weapon" midstep. Simplify it to just have the weapon either OUT or NOT OUT like every other game on the planet. (just automatically lowers when you run like any other game) And slightly speed up weapon draw speeds so that players can more readily just press 1 or 2 to take out their weapons.

I actually like the idea of having a weapon up or down. It makes you able to decide if player is/might be friendly or not. And prevents you from shooting accidentally,

//Completely remove and re-write the god awful running system (double tap forward/toggleC/toggleSHift,toggle control) Like you can't be serious.. You would honestly have better luck controlling a real life robot. Just simply make it SHIFT to run and maybe ctrl to walk. And instead of awkwardly double tapping buttons to toggle, just add a checkbox option in the menu labeled "Toggle sprint, or toggle crouch" just like any other game on the planet. This would free up some confusion.

When I'm in the wild, I prefer to have a toggle run, but when I'm in cities and I know there are players around, I prefer to have toggle walk in order to have my gun up and be quieter. I can't imagine going to settings every time to change it. Dynamic stances should stay the way they are now.

//Completely remove the awkward stiff upright forced-walking animation that occurs when walking up a slight incline and replace it with a slow jog.  (nobody in real life walks up a hill like that.. They would naturally hunch forward if anything..And especially if zombies are behind them they would not walk upright up the hill)

Here I can agree with you. I'm pretty pissed with being forced to walk up the hill slowly, even though it's very low.

//And why does it take a thousand button pressed to go from prone to crouch to standing back up again? Heres an idea, make crouch and stand up the same damn key like every other game on earth.

And listen to this CRAZY idea!!

Maybe for you it takes thousand button pressed. I have absolutely no problem with changing stances so I imagine you might be slightly off with your kinetic abilities.

//When a player is prone they should be able to press SPACEBAR to stand up in one complete motion without the painful and sluggish crouch midstep.. and if they don't want to stand up in one complete motion guess what! They should be able to just press the crouch key to go back up to crouch!! CRAZYYYYY i know!!

I guess animation speed could vary depending on how much stuff you're carrying. But don't think it's possible to go from prone to straight with a smooth motion having 7kg backpack and a rifle.

//Remove all awkward traces of military simulator.. At least TRY and pretend its a standalone game and not just arma2..Get rid of that stupid O menu to see which players are in the server and just replace it with a simple user friendly TAB menu to see a players list and pings. And ditch the ugly arma options menu and downright frightening keybind menu.. And even in video options it still says things like "All arma2 trees and grass".. FACEPALM.

Remember it's an alpha version, so they mainly work on games mechanic. Menu's layout is a secondary matter. And still, a moderately intelligent monkey is probably able to use it, so...

//Completely remove the asinine "I feel like having a drink" or "My stomach grows violently" notifications. And add a real system of how much health,food,water we need.

And in real life, you have a status bar that tells you how much you need to eat? No. You only have feelings. Plus, as far as I remember, Dean stated that some kind of visual indicators are coming.

//Fix the retarded unconscious system (i put 8 magnum rounds in a knocked out guys skull and he wakes up and punches me in back of head 5 minutes later)

That indeed needs to be fixed.

//Completely remove the 100% "RUINED" items by a zombie simply punching my backpack one-time. (how can one zombie smack ruin 32 .45 acp rounds??

This too I agree. Items damaging system needs some serious changes.

//At least add an animation for broken leg instead of forcing the user to go prone..Sometiems i wonder how is this even a standalone game? Everything i see is just mod mod mod.

I’m sure this will come with time. Remember once again, it’s an early alpha. Don’t expect everything to work as it should.

//Add a rotate button to rotate inventory items in bag.
//Hold shift to select multiple items in inventory at once

There are some discussions and suggestions for inventory systems, check them out. And I don’t see a reason for having a multi-select tool. I mean what, you want to grab 5 cans of beans at once? What hands do you have?

//Add a map or at least make them more readily available.

I agree that maps should be complete, but it should not be given from the start. However there was a good suggestion recently to put maps on bus stops and train stations.

//Make all doors open inward as to not push the players

Doors open in various directions in real life. It should be possible however to reach them from a further distance, because now it’s hard to aim at doors or gates.

//Add spawns inland

Since all the mid- and high-tier loot is inland, having spawn points there would be odd.

//Add back the original dayz mod ambient background music

Music will come with time, I’m sure of that.

//Fix the dumbass fall damage system.

That’s right, needs fixing. I broke my leg recently after falling from like 2 meters.

//Make an effort to add real loot instead of just clothes (game looks like a VOGUE fashion show simulator)

You obviously had some bad luck finding stuff, because I often find myself looking for clothes and can’t find any. There is a wide range of loot and I’m sure there will be more.

//Make binoculars readily available.

This and range finders.

//Fix weapon reload/empty ammo system.. If you have ammo that fits a gun you should be able to just use it all without having to maticulously stop and manually drag it into your rifle or put them into a clip.. It results in some real panic/struggle when you are mid-pvp and have to stop and open your inventory to instruct your character to put bullets in a speedloader.. He should already know that needs to be done.

This I cannot agree again. I understand it may be hard to load your weapon in pvp situations, but that’s why you should have more than one speedloader/magazine. And it’s supposed to be stressful, when you need to quickly reload. Don’t try to make an arcade game out of it.

---

All in all, you’ve made some good points today, but generally you seem to be grumbling about game being too hard when it’s supposed to be hard. It’s not a casual FPS game for everyone. It’s a hardcore game for people who want to focus on their gameplay.

And lastly, I’d suggest changing your tone, because you’re a kind of person that bought and early-access alpha version, having being warned that it’s not ready and is released primarily for testing, and yet you shout as if you expected a 100% working product.

• Like 1

Hello there

Closing thread. OP has gone on an enforced holiday.

Insults are not appropriate counters to challenges of ideas.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok